120 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.schapirosnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 466-3360
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4 PM - 2 AM
Friday 4 PM - 3:30 AM
Saturday 10 AM - 3:30 AM
Sunday 10 AM - 12:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: David Shemesh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Schapiro's
Schapiro’s Eatery & Cocktail Bar champions Lower East Side cultural history through its New American menu, seasoned with contemporary Jewish style. Anchored in fresh, locally sourced ingredients, our daily dinner and weekend brunch menus offer elevated comfort foods and Jewish staples, along with signature cocktails crafted to complement the dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Schapiro's reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (5)fit for foodies (5)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Good for a group dinnermillienialfoodieDined on 11/8/2014Went here with 5 others for my boyfriend's birthday. Service was slow. It took over an hour to get our food, but the waiter came and served us a complimentary plate of pickled vegetables for our troubles. Mixed drinks were good. Had the one with St. Germain in it. Had the bone marrow appetizer and the meatloaf entree. Both were delicious and very filling. Fun ambiance.Special Features:
- Great food, great ambianceBanyaDined on 11/8/2014Cute little place with great food. A bit pricey, but that's the area. The drinks are a bit of a rip-off. The glasses are so small. My friends had mimosas that were the size of champagne toast glasses and my small thin glass of diet coke had more ice than soda. Try the mac & cheese and the french toast. Both excellent
- Good Good, Poor ServiceSouthernFoodieDined on 10/24/2014Took a good friend if mine here for his birthday. Arrived 10 mins early for our reservation, missing only the birthday boy in our party. The hostess basically ignored us & didn't seat us until he arrived. Even then we had to wait another 15 mins for them to find us another table (we watched as they gave our original table to another party with NO reservation). Once seated our waitress was derelict in almost everything, she didn't bother to bring our drinks. The food was good, drinks delicious, but our waitress left so much to be desired my tip reflected it. If you're cool with being ignored, this is the spot for youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY NICEBarbaraDined on 9/28/2014The food was excellent. We were there on a quiet afternoon, so it was not overly busy. The service could have been al little better, but overall would go again and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Couldn't even stay to eat...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/19/2014I've been to Schapiro's late night before but this experience made me not want to return. My party of 5 was seated and the music was blasting so loud from a blown-out speaker we couldn't even hear our server let alone each other. When we asked the server to turn the music down, she returned saying that the manager wouldn't let her turn it down even if we had had a baby with us. While my past experience with the food was positive, this complete lack of consideration of their customers' comfort level turned me off. My group and I decided we'd rather go somewhere more welcoming and didn't stay to eat...Special Features:
- Unexpected greatnessRockanroloDined on 9/12/2014When we arrived a friendly server checked us in, we didn't like the first table he offered us so we decided to wait at the bar until a better table opened. As soon as it did, we were sat. We started with the chopped liver and the ox tail ravioli which were both very good, except the sauce for the ravioli could use a tiny bit more seasoning. My wife loved the pate. For our main she got the lam chops and I got the ribeye. Both dishes were presented very nicely. My steak was seasoned perfectly and cooked rare as I ordered it. My wife was extatic about her chops and said they were easily some of the best she has ever had. Dessert was also perfectly balanced salted caramel gelato and hazelnut mousse cake. Overall it was a delicious experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Bride and Friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great food. We selected the 3 course pre fix and it was delicious! Service was a bit slow as they only had one waitress working. On a Saturday night, really? All and all, good location, great food and cool vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 23 reviews are from the Schapiro's reviews archive.
- Good local bar - not a destinationJuanValdezVIPDined on 7/18/2014Steak was underccooked. it was noisy even though not that busy. Smoked salmon and fries were both good. Looked liked a good place for neighbourhood buddies to go drink a bunch of beer, but not a destination for dinner.Special Features:
- Updated take on classics!nkwowoDined on 7/11/2014Had a great time at Schapiro's. Nice approach to some old time Jewish food that will make you smile like you did at Grandma's houe all those years ago. Had a 6 person group and we all enjoyed ourselves and the food!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerLESlocalDined on 6/11/2014I've been a fan of Antibes Bistro for a while, and was waiting to try out Schapiros because it's the same owners. Gave it a whirl last week and it was fantastic. Met a small group of friends for my birthday dinner and we had a blast! Get the Oysters! Great food, knowledgable and friendly service.Special Features:
- Great food, great vibes.n1nan1naDined on 5/31/2014Brunch with a group of five on Saturdays, drinks with a group of ten on Friday night. Never been let down by Shapiro's. It doesn't get too packed for brunch (a miracle, considering its location), they accept reservations on the weekends, the food is DELICIOUS (the menu marries southern food with a kosher kind of flare), cocktails great, staff friendly, bar well stocked. An all round winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food + place. Can be improved.MembrillitaDined on 5/30/2014We went on a busy Friday evening, and our reservation was ready on the dot -- not a given in Downtown. The hostess was lovely and efficient, another rarity in the area. The space and deco are a beauty, the old New York style is gorgeous. The girl bringing food and drinks to our table was fantastic. The potato dumpling, the scallops, and the salmon pastrami were glorious. Room for improvement: 1) The grilled kale was burnt. Both the one we ordered separate and the one that came with a seared salmon. 2) The wine list --OK to be short but then more savvy + quality would make a hug difference. 3) The waitress was efficient, could have been kind as well. Maybe we being foodies over 40 not hipsters were not her crowd. Not our problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurant and great foodShedaPitaBreadDined on 5/17/2014I brought a group of friends here for a birthday brunch and was very pleased with how accommodating the staff was. I had a great time and the food was fantastic. Their french toast with banana and ricotta was cooked to perfection. Crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Food was great. Came out aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Food was great. Came out a little slow. Service stunk. Only reason I would got back would be for the food not the service. Ambience was really nice and it was crowded most of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2014Went here after another reservation fell through and everyone was delighted. $5 mimosas and a creative brunch menu pleased everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was terrible andsusieDined on 3/9/2014The service was terrible and they weren't even crowded! No wonder they weren't crowded! Food was ok, but they brought one party the dish with half of the items that were supposed to be in the dish missing!
- Friday Night @ Schapiro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014I had a great experience here last weekend. I liked the scene and the cocktails. The crabcake benedict was on point. My friend did not enjoy the matzo ball soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new East European & FusionMortTheJoatDined on 3/5/2014On their first day as part of the ZipCard 10002 network of neighborhood businesses, we were rewarded with excellence in all categories. We will happily return, with friends and family or on our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked Fish on Valentine's dayJBOBZDined on 2/14/2014I didn't realize the Pre-Fixe menu would be imposed on us on Valentine's day -- so our choices were very limited. I'm always weary of pre-fixe in a new restaurant. It just means that the same dishes are pre-made (on some level ) and churned out. This place was a bad as could be. Red Snapper was over cooked, risotto was chewy and flavorless. And the dessert? A chocolate torte that was 1/2 in wide and 2 inches long. It, too was chewy and gross. All this for $50. What a rip off.
- Great findny101Dined on 1/19/2014Really good food, really good service, really good time. We'll be coming back. You should go.Special Features:
- All good but the souffléJessVIPDined on 1/18/2014Found this place while researching for a group dinner with friends and glad I did. The food was delicious -- I shared the bone marrow and ordered the veal schnitzel with a side of the cauliflower gratin (yum!) -- and the service was excellent. Not to mention the great cocktail list -- I recommend the King of Punk. The only drawback was the "chocolate soufflé" which was nowhere near resembling or tasting like one. You can't call it a soufflé when it's actually more like a fudge bar, a disappointing finish for this avid dessert person. But overall, I enjoyed the low-key atmosphere with rustic features and jazzy music. The noise level was nice and low until the bar crowd showed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt at homeSoyYummyVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great Jewish-inspired food appropriate for the neighborhood. Definitely to be repeated!Special Features:
- So bad!NYCdinerDined on 1/10/2014The atmosphere of this place was great and it was packed so I was hopeful that I had found a nice place to eat, but i was completely wrong. All of the food was cold. Both my friend and I had to send our dishes back to have re-heated for the starters AND entree. Also the descriptions of the food were enticing but once you got it to your table you realized that it was so poorly executed that you could make it yourself. Go for drinks but don't even waste your money on mediocre, luke warm food.Special Features:
- post-T'giving brunchmimiDined on 11/29/2013I brought my husband, two daughters, two sons-in-law, 3 grandchildren to Schapiro's on Friday for brunch. We were on the early side - had to finish so we could get hungry for dinner - and surprised the staff even tho we had made a reservation well in advance. They coped beautifully and we all had a good time. The shrimp and grits, as well as the bloody mary, were delicious. Everyone ate well. My only wish is that they had boosters or high chairs for the youngest diners.Special Features:
- fantastic foodmomoffourDined on 10/20/2013We ate here while visiting our son who lives on the Lower East Side. Had an amazing brunch. The Bananas Foster French Toast was amazing! The glaze, the whipped cream, the fresh fruit, all top notch. Also had the biscuits with turkey gravy which my son was very happy with. The coffee was also delicious. Would definitely go back for dinner. A great addition to an area already full of fantastic restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Friendly staff.MatsonsDined on 10/19/2013Excellent food. Friendly staff. Look forward to returning next time I am in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter had to be remindedfoodielesDined on 10/16/2013Waiter had to be reminded to bring an extra dish that was ordered with original order. Presented check before asking if we wanted desserts....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for improvementLESartDined on 9/26/2013We were off to a great start with two delicious appetizers but then the difficulties began when we had to repeatedly ask for two cocktails we had ordered. The wrong main arrived for my husband and this was not corrected by the server who was solely at fault. In the end, I just really didn't like my main course, potato dumplings. I don't like truffle oil but it was not mentioned as an ingredient. It was also far too salty. Plates were cleared while we were still chewing. These are all issues that could be ironed out by this new restaurant. They have a lot going for them: beautiful space and atmosphere, great bar, interesting menu. I hope they succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2013A group of friends enjoyed our lunch at Schapiros. The french fries were amazing; they were flavored with garlic and parsley. But all sandwiches and salads were great.Special Features:
- great drinks: try the smokeLESerDined on 6/18/2013great drinks: try the smoke & mirrors - and get the whitefish cake - amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.