120 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.schapirosnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124663360x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday 4 PM - 2 AM
Friday 4 PM - 3:30 AM
Saturday 10 AM - 3:30 AM
Sunday 10 AM - 12:30 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Eastern European
- Executive Chef: David Shemesh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Schapiro's
Schapiro’s Eatery & Cocktail Bar champions Lower East Side cultural history through its New American menu, seasoned with contemporary Jewish style. Anchored in fresh, locally sourced ingredients, our daily dinner and weekend brunch menus offer elevated comfort foods and Jewish staples, along with signature cocktails crafted to complement the dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Schapiro's reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (9)good for groups (9)fit for foodies (8)vibrant bar scene (5)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Happy Bride and Friends!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Great food. We selected the 3 course pre fix and it was delicious! Service was a bit slow as they only had one waitress working. On a Saturday night, really? All and all, good location, great food and cool vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good local bar - not a destinationJuanValdezVIPDined on 7/18/2014Steak was underccooked. it was noisy even though not that busy. Smoked salmon and fries were both good. Looked liked a good place for neighbourhood buddies to go drink a bunch of beer, but not a destination for dinner.Special Features:
- Updated take on classics!nkwowoDined on 7/11/2014Had a great time at Schapiro's. Nice approach to some old time Jewish food that will make you smile like you did at Grandma's houe all those years ago. Had a 6 person group and we all enjoyed ourselves and the food!Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerLESlocalDined on 6/11/2014I've been a fan of Antibes Bistro for a while, and was waiting to try out Schapiros because it's the same owners. Gave it a whirl last week and it was fantastic. Met a small group of friends for my birthday dinner and we had a blast! Get the Oysters! Great food, knowledgable and friendly service.Special Features:
- Great food, great vibes.n1nan1naDined on 5/31/2014Brunch with a group of five on Saturdays, drinks with a group of ten on Friday night. Never been let down by Shapiro's. It doesn't get too packed for brunch (a miracle, considering its location), they accept reservations on the weekends, the food is DELICIOUS (the menu marries southern food with a kosher kind of flare), cocktails great, staff friendly, bar well stocked. An all round winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab food + place. Can be improved.MembrillitaDined on 5/30/2014We went on a busy Friday evening, and our reservation was ready on the dot -- not a given in Downtown. The hostess was lovely and efficient, another rarity in the area. The space and deco are a beauty, the old New York style is gorgeous. The girl bringing food and drinks to our table was fantastic. The potato dumpling, the scallops, and the salmon pastrami were glorious. Room for improvement: 1) The grilled kale was burnt. Both the one we ordered separate and the one that came with a seared salmon. 2) The wine list --OK to be short but then more savvy + quality would make a hug difference. 3) The waitress was efficient, could have been kind as well. Maybe we being foodies over 40 not hipsters were not her crowd. Not our problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Restaurant and great foodShedaPitaBreadDined on 5/17/2014I brought a group of friends here for a birthday brunch and was very pleased with how accommodating the staff was. I had a great time and the food was fantastic. Their french toast with banana and ricotta was cooked to perfection. Crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 17 reviews are from the Schapiro's reviews archive.
- Food was great. Came out aOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Food was great. Came out a little slow. Service stunk. Only reason I would got back would be for the food not the service. Ambience was really nice and it was crowded most of the night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2014Went here after another reservation fell through and everyone was delighted. $5 mimosas and a creative brunch menu pleased everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was terrible andsusieDined on 3/9/2014The service was terrible and they weren't even crowded! No wonder they weren't crowded! Food was ok, but they brought one party the dish with half of the items that were supposed to be in the dish missing!
- Friday Night @ Schapiro'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/7/2014I had a great experience here last weekend. I liked the scene and the cocktails. The crabcake benedict was on point. My friend did not enjoy the matzo ball soup.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new East European & FusionMortTheJoatDined on 3/5/2014On their first day as part of the ZipCard 10002 network of neighborhood businesses, we were rewarded with excellence in all categories. We will happily return, with friends and family or on our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overcooked Fish on Valentine's dayJBOBZDined on 2/14/2014I didn't realize the Pre-Fixe menu would be imposed on us on Valentine's day -- so our choices were very limited. I'm always weary of pre-fixe in a new restaurant. It just means that the same dishes are pre-made (on some level ) and churned out. This place was a bad as could be. Red Snapper was over cooked, risotto was chewy and flavorless. And the dessert? A chocolate torte that was 1/2 in wide and 2 inches long. It, too was chewy and gross. All this for $50. What a rip off.
- Great findny101Dined on 1/19/2014Really good food, really good service, really good time. We'll be coming back. You should go.Special Features:
- All good but the souffléJessDined on 1/18/2014Found this place while researching for a group dinner with friends and glad I did. The food was delicious -- I shared the bone marrow and ordered the veal schnitzel with a side of the cauliflower gratin (yum!) -- and the service was excellent. Not to mention the great cocktail list -- I recommend the King of Punk. The only drawback was the "chocolate soufflé" which was nowhere near resembling or tasting like one. You can't call it a soufflé when it's actually more like a fudge bar, a disappointing finish for this avid dessert person. But overall, I enjoyed the low-key atmosphere with rustic features and jazzy music. The noise level was nice and low until the bar crowd showed up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Felt at homeSoyYummyVIPDined on 1/11/2014Great Jewish-inspired food appropriate for the neighborhood. Definitely to be repeated!Special Features:
- So bad!NYCdinerDined on 1/10/2014The atmosphere of this place was great and it was packed so I was hopeful that I had found a nice place to eat, but i was completely wrong. All of the food was cold. Both my friend and I had to send our dishes back to have re-heated for the starters AND entree. Also the descriptions of the food were enticing but once you got it to your table you realized that it was so poorly executed that you could make it yourself. Go for drinks but don't even waste your money on mediocre, luke warm food.Special Features:
- post-T'giving brunchmimiDined on 11/29/2013I brought my husband, two daughters, two sons-in-law, 3 grandchildren to Schapiro's on Friday for brunch. We were on the early side - had to finish so we could get hungry for dinner - and surprised the staff even tho we had made a reservation well in advance. They coped beautifully and we all had a good time. The shrimp and grits, as well as the bloody mary, were delicious. Everyone ate well. My only wish is that they had boosters or high chairs for the youngest diners.Special Features:
- fantastic foodmomoffourDined on 10/20/2013We ate here while visiting our son who lives on the Lower East Side. Had an amazing brunch. The Bananas Foster French Toast was amazing! The glaze, the whipped cream, the fresh fruit, all top notch. Also had the biscuits with turkey gravy which my son was very happy with. The coffee was also delicious. Would definitely go back for dinner. A great addition to an area already full of fantastic restaurantsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food. Friendly staff.MatsonsDined on 10/19/2013Excellent food. Friendly staff. Look forward to returning next time I am in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waiter had to be remindedfoodielesDined on 10/16/2013Waiter had to be reminded to bring an extra dish that was ordered with original order. Presented check before asking if we wanted desserts....I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hoping for improvementLESartDined on 9/26/2013We were off to a great start with two delicious appetizers but then the difficulties began when we had to repeatedly ask for two cocktails we had ordered. The wrong main arrived for my husband and this was not corrected by the server who was solely at fault. In the end, I just really didn't like my main course, potato dumplings. I don't like truffle oil but it was not mentioned as an ingredient. It was also far too salty. Plates were cleared while we were still chewing. These are all issues that could be ironed out by this new restaurant. They have a lot going for them: beautiful space and atmosphere, great bar, interesting menu. I hope they succeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/20/2013A group of friends enjoyed our lunch at Schapiros. The french fries were amazing; they were flavored with garlic and parsley. But all sandwiches and salads were great.Special Features:
- great drinks: try the smokeLESerDined on 6/18/2013great drinks: try the smoke & mirrors - and get the whitefish cake - amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.