355 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarpettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126910555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5:30 - 10:30.
Monday Through Thursday, 5:30 - 11.
Friday and Saturday, 5:30 - 12.
Bar opens at 4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Conant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Scarpetta
In May 2008, Chef Scott Conant opened Scarpetta in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Scarpetta - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Scarpetta reviews from OpenTable diners
344 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (225)special occasion (193)romantic (123)neighborhood gem (111)hot spot (106)notable wine list (105)good for groups (45)vibrant bar scene (40)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (16)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- DisappointedsrqdinersVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our starters & main courses were lacking in the listed ingredients. Very little taste. Service was just okay. Food & wine quite pricey, and definitely not worth it. Much better choices abound.
- Special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014You will feel special dining here. The service was exceptional and everything we ate/drank was delicious. We had the octopus and tuna to start and then shared the duck ravioli and black cod as our main.Special Features:
- Top norch foodvivpDined on 8/28/2014I am particular and everything here was terrific from the bread to the Caponata to the beet filled ravioli's delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is outstanding; service is okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014We had to wait 45 minutes past our reservations and after several nudges to the hostess were given a table right at the entrance in the bar area. Our service was just ok and not impressive. I realize that food is great but their service will be their downfall. For the prices they charge I would expect a better experience. If they are only selling good food my recommendation to them is open a carryout restaurant and ditch the full service model!!
- Some IssuesScarpetta123456789123456VIPDined on 8/23/2014The front of the house was not service-oriented. They lacked refinements that should be standard in a fine-dining establishment. The Manager clearly stated that he did not care about proper service or remedying any snafus. Good food - but why wasn't every dish warm? $24 for a small dish of plain spaghetti that only costs $1-$2? No meatballs. No Riccata?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SpotAnnieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Absolutely incredible food (the spaghetti......) ambiance, and service.Special Features:
- Amazing!mp1985Dined on 8/23/2014Our server was happy to answer all of the questions about the menu - you could tell she had really tasted most of the dishes and knew what she was talking about. The tomato basil spaghetti was very basil-y and delicious, and the short rib and bone marrow agnolotti was out of this world. Would come back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thoroughly lives up to reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Went for wife's birthday and thoroughly enjoyed the ambience, service, and food. The spaghetti and mushrooms-and-grits appetizer were especially outstanding. Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone seeking a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Very solid yet not over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014The food, at this modern Italian restaurant on the edge of the meat packing district is very consistent and innovative. However, it can not compare to Babbo. It has a smaller menu and is not nearly as memorable. The service is also solid, but the wait staff does not seem to go "above and beyond."Special Features:
- A solid B+MattVIPDined on 8/18/2014Maybe I just caught Scarpetta on an off night, but the whole experience was just "OK" - not an ideal outcome for the price and the hype...
- great, Great, GREAT!!!beezerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Love the area, the service was first rate and the food was excellent. The risotto with Australian black truffles was unforgettable and both of our fish dishes were everything you would expect from a classy restaurant like this- would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- i keep coming back for more!doctoraVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was my 4th visit and this wonderful Italian energetic little restaurant continues to deliver perfect food from pasta to dolce. Benissimo!!Special Features:
- A shadow of its former self2ndJobVIPDined on 8/16/2014Once consistently exceeded expectations. Now, hit or miss. This is not a restaurant that should be serving overcooked pasta. Disappointing decline.Special Features:
- delicious anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had been wanting to try Scarpetta for quite some time. We finally made it happen on a recent Saturday evening, in celebration of our anniversary. Our entire experience was amazing. Was it expensive? Yes. But we knew that going in and it was a special occasion. Drinks: we each had a specialty cocktail that was delicious. We also had some tasty wines by the glass (both white and red). Food: stellar. We shared the octopus (amazing) and polenta (creamy and delicious) appetizers. For dinner I had the short rib stuff pasta which was both light and creamy at the same time. Hubs had the beet ravioli which were sweet and tasty. We didn't order dessert, but our waiter brought some small Italian cookies/candies with our check. Primo service!Special Features:
- It was fine.nycspotreviewsDined on 8/15/2014There was a wait for a table inside despite the fact I made reservations. That's ridiculous. So we sat outside, among the water bugs crawling around. Good was passable, but not particularly flavorful or bold for the higher-than-average cost.
- Good, but babbo's better!abaazDined on 8/14/2014I'm sorry I ever second guessed you Babbo. Food was good but the service and quality of experience was severely lacking specially when you consider the price point.Special Features:
- Why did I wait so long????OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014My wife and I have decided to try all the "Chopped" Chef restaurants' ....our 1st spot was Scarpetta....and it was MEMORABLE!!! The food is just incredible but only slightly ahead of the over the top attentive service. It's in my Top 3 meals of ALL TIME! Next on the list....Paloma/Chef Aaron....Scarpetta is gonna be tough to beat!Special Features:
- YumDeliciosoDined on 8/14/2014The absolute best risotto (with Australian truffles)r and polenta dishes I've ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timekristinDined on 8/14/2014Delicious food - loved the cocktails. Had the calamari and the spaghetti, both delicious. Spaghetti is the signature meal and really fantastic, probably a bit expensive but a good place for a special occasion. The ambiance is great (the back has a glass ceiling). Service rushed a little but overall I would go back againSpecial Features:
- Great Italian restaurantAndreasDined on 8/12/2014One of the best Italian dinners we have had in New York. Very attentive and friendly service. No rush as in some other trendy restaurants in Meatpacking district. Great food!Special Features:
- Breaks the moldFitFoodieDined on 8/12/2014I took my boyfriend there for his birthday. What a delicious departure from the traditional "Italian" restaurant in NYC. I had the octopus and the branzino. Loved both. Could have eaten 5 octopus appetizers. So delicate and flavorful. My boyfriend inhaled his polenta and loved the spaghetti. Creative cocktails, too! The staff was SO attentive, as well. Great spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The pasta....FoodieDeeNYCVIPDined on 8/11/2014The Spaghetti with Tomato Basil Sauce was as good as the hype. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Brilliant evening with friendsfromLondontoNYCDined on 8/11/2014Great food, lovely wine list, and great buzz. We will return, and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- budget63Dined on 8/9/2014Food was outstanding. Ambience not so much. Had a couple standing less than ten feet from our table waiting for someone for over 15 minutes during which we were trying to eat our meal while being rudely stared at the entire time. Hostesses completely unaware and allowed the couple to stand in such close proximity to tables. Completely ruined the dining experience.Special Features:
- Liv2eatDined on 8/9/2014Excellent food, loved all my choices. Definitely get the short ribs appetizer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pastaRobynfromDenverDined on 8/9/2014I have eaten at Scarpetta 5 or 6 times now (every time I make it to NYC) and the pasta has been terrific every time. Nice menu, although it hasn't changed much in the last two years. The spaghetti is world famous, and rightfully so. Such a simple and sublime dish, pasta is perfectly cooked and delicious. Serving size is small, so you can pop in for a seat at the bar and enjoy a world class pasta dish, all without spoiling a full dinner.Special Features:
- ExcellentJbh0143Dined on 8/8/2014Great service, great food. This may have been my favorite place of all time, and I'm not even an Italian food type of guy usually.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scarpetta exceptionaljasonVIPDined on 8/6/2014If you want to experience fine Italian cuisine you can't go wrong at Scarpetta. From our friendly greeting to our efficient and gracious service, our dinner was a pleasure. I can recommend each course: the salad, simple and lightly dressed, the refined fried mozzarella, absolutely delicious cod and short rib/marrow pasta, excellent coffee. Each wine suggested was well suited to the food. We had a 7:30 curtain and the staff delivered an outstanding three course dinner leaving us lots of time to walk to the Joyce, five blocks away.Special Features:
- One of the best meals I've ever hadStickDined on 8/5/2014From end to end, a true representation of what quality food and service should be. Delicous bread selections with accompanying olive oil, eggplant and mascarpone to the fabulous sirloin and simply magnificent olive oil lemon cake dessert, I can truly say this was one of my most memorable meals. The service was impeccable and our server along with the rest of the team made us feel welcome and appreciated. Utmost respect to the entire group, who makes Scarpetta a must for food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpaghettiKunkDined on 8/3/2014Ted Allen was right. The spaghetti was the best ever.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningsbtfoodiesDined on 8/3/2014There were 4 of us and all of us enjoyed our meals (3 different entrees among the 4). The restaurant was noisy but not overpowering and the service was solicitous and gracious. The menu choices all had an element of being slightly different than the usual offerings, which we liked. We would definitely recommend it to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary28VIPDined on 8/2/2014A bit too noisy but a fun place with good food. Last time the food was outstanding this time just good. Not sure why. Maybe the good spaghetti is a bit boring. Dessert was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time for my 30th!RmsinDined on 8/2/2014This was a great place that my husband took me on my 30th birthday. We went to NYC for a week, and this was a great gem. The service was amazing, and I was full with the large portions. thank you again.Special Features:
- FantasticNycee43Dined on 8/1/2014Scarpetta is a beautiful restaurant with a spacious dining area. Every item on the menu is "the best you've ever had". The service was excellent and the prices were great. A perfect place to enjoy a delicious dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.BrianneDined on 7/31/2014My boyfriend and I had been to Scarpetta before and had a great experience, so when my mom wanted to go to a popular NYC restaurant we picked here. I wish we hadn't. First, my boyfriend arrive early at about 830 and sat at the bar. We arrived, on time, at 9:00. We were told upon check in that it would just be a few minutes. However, we were not seated until 9:30. When we were finally seated our waiter practically ignored us the whole time. He came for our order and never came back. No recommendations or anything. I had to ask the bus boy our waiter so we could get a refill on drinks. I was disappointed in the quality of the food. It felt like it was mass produced and far below the quality we had received previously. I will not be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinerCaviarmdVIPDined on 7/31/2014We have heard about Scarpetta for several years and this was our first visit. It will certainly not be our last. All in our party enjoyed pasta because we had read that was not to be missed. Both pastas were superb. We also enjoyed the polenta starter with an added taste of black truffles. Delicious!! Service was outstanding and the bartender who took care of us before our table was ready was a gem. He knew his wine and could make a perfect Negroni.Special Features:
- Foodie fantastic!gtmtlDined on 7/26/2014Been to Miami and New York Scarpetta, both great, but personally liked NYC better. Only glitch in our evening was our first waiter who was cocky while answering a simple menu question, and just walked away while we were in conversation with him! Anyway, we asked to have someone else wait the table (Louis) and it was perfect after. Try the spaghetti (best I ever had in North America) both Tuna apps, mushroom polenta, risotto... You can pretty much not go wrong with any menu choices!! Bon appetit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best spaghetti I ever hadToneDined on 7/26/2014The staff was very friendly and could recommend wines for the food. The food was excellent, we were sold already by the selection of bread the waiter brought us first. A large selection of wines to choose from. The spaghetti was amazing, best I ever had. To make something so simple taste this good is really remarkableSpecial Features:
- Excellent as alwaysBruncherDined on 7/26/2014Scarpetta is a sure thing. Always an excellent meal with wonderful atmosphere. Service was a bit inattentive this time, but the ambiance and meal made up for it. The chocolate cake is decadent and the yellow tail appetizer is a must.Special Features:
- best pasta and stromboliilikefoodtoomuchVIPDined on 7/26/2014Scott Conant is right-he knows pasta. the spaghetti with tomato/basil, and black taglietelle were fresh and perfectly cooked. the Stromboli was amazing and the desserts were delicious. my friend particularly loved his very unusual delicious blueberry sorbet, made in-house. prefect service as well. expensive but quality.Special Features: