355 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarpettanyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 691-0555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5:30 - 10:30.
Monday Through Thursday, 5:30 - 11.
Friday and Saturday, 5:30 - 12.
Bar opens at 4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Conant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Scarpetta
In May 2008, Chef Scott Conant opened Scarpetta in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Scarpetta - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Scarpetta reviews from OpenTable diners
352 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (265)special occasion (189)notable wine list (113)hot spot (113)neighborhood gem (107)romantic (103)good for groups (68)vibrant bar scene (51)great for outdoor dining (21)late-night find (21)great for lunch (5)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- excellentluv2dineVIPDined on 11/19/2014Obviously the restaurant of choice for the expense account crowd. But topnotch food and service. Polenta is heavenly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brofest.FoodFiendDined on 11/17/2014It's was a brofest this past visit. Super loud and with a lot of tourists maybe due to the fact there is a celebrity chef. Food is very good. The only issue is I always have to wait more than 15 mins even through there is a reservation. The service is great overall,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional DIningTwiggyVIPDined on 11/17/2014The food at Scarpetta is divine. My dinner companion and I shared a plate of fritto misto, and ate every piece of it, including the fried rosemary and sage. Her ravioli was superb, and my agnolotti with short ribs and horseradish was subtly flavored and utterly satisfying -- I ate it slowly and savored every bit of it. Then we shared espresso budino and both agreed it was one of the best desserts we'd ever had, anywhere, any time. If you are sensitive to noise levels, eating early at Scarpetta (our reservation was at 6pm) is a good idea, as it gets quite noisy later. The service was attentive, perhaps overly so -- but extremely professional, and even when it was clear that they needed our table for the next shift, it was communicated subtly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We had a fantastic experience in this restaurant! From the moment we walked-in, we were treated like VIPs. They smiled, toke our coats, pulled my chair out, gave us suggestions, brought us a bread basket filled with warm and tasty breads, wiped the bread crumbs from our table and on and on. Just so attentive, it was refreshing! BUT...the pasta, OMG, it was heavenly. It melted in our mouths and the flavors just bowled us over. We had the duck and foie gras ravioli and the short rib and bone marrow agnolotti. It was really delicious! We will go back to try all the other choices... We HIGHLY recommend this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rjonesDined on 11/16/2014Food was outstanding. I highly recommend the short rib and bone marrow agnolotti as well as the black seafood pasta. My only compliant was portion size as you need to order a few pastas and entrees in order to satisfy a healthy appetite. The wine list was good, and they offered a nice selection of Barolo's, however, they came at quite a price.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scarpetta does not disappoint!MarquezfamDined on 11/15/2014The food was outstanding, although the decor @ the South Beach Scarpetta is incredible this place has a coziness that is very difficult to duplicate. Everyone is amazing from a service perspective. The drinks were great, the food was great, the service was great. Everyone was eager to please and willing to go the extra mile. I cannot wait for the next trip to Scarpetta!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/15/2014We celebrated my husband's 55th birthday and my son's 25th birthday here--it couldn't have been better. The food and service were wonderful! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best meals I've had in a long timeNbnbDined on 11/14/2014I eat at restaurants across the city and brooklyn on a regular basis and always regret not leaving reviews after I've had an excellent experience, but our meal at Scarpetta was so outstanding that I had to take a moment to do so! I'm a big fan of Scott Conant's cookbook so I expected the food to be delicious, but it far surpassed my expectations. There are a range of dishes on the menu - from classic recipes to more modern takes on italian dishes - and they were all executed perfectly. So yummy. The only thing I didn't love was the frito misto, which seemed to have too much breading and not enough vegetable. Our table wasn't ready until 30+ minutes after we arrived for our reservation, but they sent us a round of champagne and an appetizer to make up for it. It was a little gesture that we all really appreciated and went a long way. We were there to celebrate our friends' engagement and the food plus the service made it a special experience that we'll continue to recommend to our friends and family for a long time. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant and foodteresajDined on 11/11/2014From the Mozzarella en carrozza to the Red Snapper to the Banana Bread dessert - the meal was absolutely perfect. The service was absolutely lovely and even our neighbors at the next table were wonderful. Overall a great dining experience. The only caveat is that the restaurant is quite loud. So, bring your hearing aids and an empty stomach. It is a wonderful place!Special Features:
- Surpassed expectationsLaPhilDined on 11/10/2014Food was fantastic. Everyone raves about the spaghetti. Its was fantastic but we shared 3 other pastas as well and we were hard pressed to pick a favorite. Would go back again in a heartbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was absolutely awesome.Jad7214Dined on 11/9/2014Everything that was set in the table was phenomenal. We enjoyed the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurantsLittledisappointedDined on 11/9/2014This was quite simply one of the best restaurants my wife and I have ever eaten at. Try the polenta and braised short ribs for an appetizer. For dinner, you can't go wrong with the pastas! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hostess is not friendlySifuDined on 11/8/2014we arrive 20 mins earlier, have to wait , ask for how long, she said no idea
- Hits the mark!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/8/2014Fabulous fall inspired dishes, truffle season!! Food, service & ambience were spot on!! Classic Negroni was perfect- loved the giant ice cube! All of the food was amazing, we even all ordered dessert which we don't always do. Our entrees ranged from sea food to veal and everything was inventive, pretty to look at it and delicious. Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Going downhillTroubleDined on 11/8/2014The first time I went to Scarpetta I was totally impressed — by everything. Now, not so much. I didn't realize until after I made reservations that Scott Conant is no longer with Scarpetta. It is now owned by LDV Hospitality, and it tastes like it. It seems they kept everything the same including the menu AND the prices, but something somewhere is lacking. The food tastes like it came from a hospitality group and not a chef. The staff kept pushing a $60 add-on truffle special to any of the pastas, which are over-priced to begin with. We also felt rushed with little time between courses. Not sure why, because when we were finished the restaurant wasn't full by any means. Never again.Special Features:
- I've had betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014A disappointing meal for the hype and the price. I would go to other places for a better italian meal especially if you are a foodie and want to enjoy a meal without a noise level that is deafeaning and a scene that is for the trendy who is there for the scene and not for the food per se.
- JulesDined on 11/7/2014Our waiter was really great. His recommendations, from wine to appetizers, to entrees and desserts were all amazing. The food was some of the best we've had in NYC over the years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday dinnerRBNYCVIPDined on 11/5/2014I have been to Scarpetta many times but the service really stood out this last time. I wrote in the reservation comments that we were celebrating a birthday and everyone, from the host to the busboy to our server came by to say happy birthday! We received a complimentary burrata salad and petit fours that came with a candle. A particular shoutout to Anastasia who, in our many experiences there, has been the best server at Scarpetta. Food, as usual, was delicious.Special Features:
- 4th TimetgmerliniDined on 11/4/2014Our 4th dinner at Scarpetta... just as lovely and delicious as ever. We'll be back again, soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/3/2014Heard about this place and finally went for my girlfriends birthday. We usually like to ask the server for recommendations and ours (Lauren) was on point. Scallops appetizer was perfectly cooked. The traditional spaghetti is very basic but delicious and is the house dish. It's a little pricey but worth trying. The other two pastas were duck and foie gras ravioli which was out of this world and the short rib agnolotti which was excellent as well (they actually complement each other when you alternate bites). At the end of the night we were too full for dessert, but our server still brought out a candle with some mini cookies for her bday because she heard me mention it - that sealed the fifth star for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service and heavy sauce.UESFoodieVIPDined on 11/2/2014Regardless of the time of the reservation, the wait was excessive. No drink offer to compensate for the 1/2 hour of wasted time. Then came the extra 15 minute wait for the waiter who was primarily interested in serving drinks and was not helpful with the menu questions. Food was well prepared but significantly over sauced and much to complex to allow the taste of the protein to actually come through. wine list was weak on the whites and either focused on obscure less expensive vineyards, or ultra pricey bottles from recognizable vineyards. In sum, an overpriced, unsatisfying experience and not a value for the dollar.Special Features:
- Flawless in every aspectfishtail1Dined on 11/2/2014Attractive decor, quick and friendly service. Our waitress was knowledgeable and helpful. Food was great, drinks were generous. Not a low cost place by any means, but if you want an elegant pre theater dinner with friends, all expectations are met and some surpassed. Service was attentive and friendly without being intrusive, and the food was delicious. The menu was limited but interesting. This was our third time at Scarpetta and we were again impressed !Special Features:
- AmazingGblsnlVIPDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I had been to Scarpetta's and Miami Beach so we wanted to go to the Original restaurant in NYC. It was just as good. If you want the best pasta in the setting you need to go here. The only disappointing thing was we found out that Scott Conentt is no longer associated with the New York City location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreBangerDined on 11/1/2014I don't get it. We followed all of the waiters recommendations, and then ordered a couple items he didn't suggest. Didn't matter what was served to us, it was "just ok." And this famous spaghetti…all I can say is ton of salt. Only really good thing was the bottle of wine they suggested.
- Expected moreNKNYVIPDined on 10/29/2014I had tried Scarpetta in Miami a few years ago and it hadn't impressed me. I walked by the NY location and I thought it seemed cozy so I made reservations. The food was not good. Unseasoned, uncreative and much much more expensive than it should be.Special Features:
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 10/29/2014Food was terrific, but the service was off and could have been better. We had to push to get the menu explained or whether they recommended one, two or three courses. The server decided to put one guest's capers on the side since he felt a dish would be too salty for her although she did not ask about this and it was not how the dish was prepared for the rest of this. Frankly, he was a bit odd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really NicehanscarletDined on 10/28/2014Husband and I heard about this place so on our last visit to NYC decided to make a reservation. To be honest the menu was intimidating because it seemed so fancy. Oh my goodness was the food outstanding!! We will definitely return. Our server was wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!Luv2eatDined on 10/27/2014We had an excellent experience! Our best meal in NYC!! What a treat! We all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJCNYCDined on 10/26/2014Great food and ambience! I recommend the veg misto fritto for appetizer and gnochetti as pasta. Wonderful ricotta cheesecake too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Scarpetta,,,GreatjerryVIPDined on 10/26/2014I had heard nice things but had never visited. You have to know where you are going since it does not stand out. The food and service were quite good. We had a group of 7 and although they do not have round tables they set us up well. We tried a lot of different things and everyone enjoyed their food. Very inventive menu. I highly recommend. Lily was a great server and the reception ladies were great.Special Features:
- Consistantly AmazingNJFoodieDined on 10/26/2014Have eaten at Scarpetta several times and the food is always amazing. Not to miss dishes include the Polenta with Mushroom and the Spaghetti with tomato and basil!! Also, the seasonal white truffle pasta is pricey but worth it!! I have had several of the entrees and they have all been delicious particularly the Carpetta and the Black Cod. The complementary bread basket has a pleasing variety of stuffed breads and plain crusty rolls. This spot has always been a favorite of my family.Special Features:
- FabulousreenieDined on 10/25/2014I had been wanting to go to Scarpetta for a long time due to Scott Conant's reputation for pasta, etc. While we were told Scott is no longer affiliated with the restaurant, the recipes are all his. The food was so incredible that my dining partner who is a real foodie said it was one of the most memorable meals she ever had. We had two different dishes and of course kept sharing. We also had the short rib appetizer which left us anticipating how the main course could be any better than that. But it was, if not better, at least as wonderful. One dish had the truffle oil & the other had more short ribs and another main ingredient which I cannot recall. Dessert was fabulous as well and the drinks were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealReviewedDined on 10/25/2014The service is outstanding and the food is even better. I have nothing bad at all to say. I would and will come back again. If you want a 5 star meal Scarpetta will deliver. Really is everything that it is billed to be. All around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Terrific trufflesShannonVIPDined on 10/25/2014Amazing birthday dinner celebration. The homemade pasta with fresh shaved white truffles was one of the best dishes I've ever had. Fish was also perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. Finished with delicious lemon and olive oil cake and gelato. Really can't say enough great things about this restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely dining experienceHappyWhenWellFedDined on 10/25/2014With a nondescript entrance, Scarpetta feels a bit like a hidden dining gem. It's a much nicer experience in the rear dining room, as the bar area and neighboring tables are quite noisy with both talk and music. The food was yummy. I would recommend the braised short rib primi in a heartbeat. It was seasoned well and the beef just melts in your mouth. The crispy fritto misto was underwhelming and under-seasoned. While the tomato and basil spaghetti was indeed tasty, perfectly al dente, and the natural ingredients shone through, I wouldn't feel the need to order it again in a future visit. The warming glass dome was a cute touch to the plating. We were mildly disappointed by the lukewarm chocolate cake, which had already sunken in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Go-TostrenksandorDined on 10/24/2014Scarpetta has become our go-to restaurant whenever we stay downtown. The pasta is out of this world and you can always find a very good, reasonably priced Italian wine on the list. They always honor our special request of sitting side by side. We just wish they were a little more prompt in seating patrons at the time reserved. Even dining late after theater, we are usually asked to wait at the bar.Special Features:
- Had a lot to live up to.......pennwaspDined on 10/23/2014Was highly rated, but though i could not really complain about anything in particular, wasn't up to the expectations set. Tables crammed quite close together and service pretty average really for this level of venue. couldn't carry the bar bill into the restaurant is hardly putting customers first There are better choices - even if this should be on the B list to visitSpecial Features:
- Great food, great placeLindaDined on 10/23/2014Second time at Scarpetta- love it. Shared truffles- fantastic. Excellent meal, excellent waitstaff. Perfect in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodAllisonVIPDined on 10/23/2014We were visiting Manhattan from the week, and this was by far our best meal there. The food was incredible! I had heard good things, and the actual experience still exceeded my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good 4 PastaLive2trynewplacesDined on 10/23/2014Great decor and ambiance. The bread basket was very tasty. The yellowtail appetizer was simple and tasty. The Chianti was well matched to the meal. The pasta dishes were very well made and presented. The dessert was very well conceived. The total experience and meal was very satisfying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.