355 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarpettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126910555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5:30 - 10:30.
Monday Through Thursday, 5:30 - 11.
Friday and Saturday, 5:30 - 12.
Bar opens at 4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Conant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Scarpetta
In May 2008, Chef Scott Conant opened Scarpetta in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Scarpetta - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Scarpetta reviews from OpenTable diners
335 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (240)special occasion (175)hot spot (117)romantic (110)neighborhood gem (109)notable wine list (108)good for groups (57)vibrant bar scene (51)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (13)great for brunch (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Not as expected :-(OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Entrees were not up to our expectations (very ordinary) and they were lukewarm upon service. The Desserts were exceptionally good and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Exceptional service, exquisite foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Simply put: my evening at Scarpetta was among my top five dining experiences - ever. And that includes Italy, Spain and France. There is something magical about being greeted by a team of gracious, competent professionals who clearly love what they do and where they do it. Complements indeed to the master chef who inspires this kind of teamwork and inspired service. From start to finish, we were guided to make the kind of choices that left us eager to come back. As popular a restaurant as this is, we felt as though we were the only guests in the room, and that every bite we took was to be savored and remembered. I can assure you they will be. The wine suggestions were thoughtful, and once tasted, brilliant. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- So very different from the packXteenDined on 10/18/2014This was not your usual Italian restaurant.. from the fabulous vodka martini they made me at the bar to the outstanding and creamiest polenta with mushrooms and truffle oil and then the halibut and finally the most delicious wanna cotta with roasted pineapple and guava sauce.. the meal was just perfect; our waiter was excellent and the place was just what I wanted in a restaurant.. made me feel special enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SNLfoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We loved dining at Scarpetta - areal treat…we were seated at the corner table of the restaurant affording us a view of all of the action on a Saturday night…thankfully we were seated at 6PM otherwise the wait would have been long…highly recommend the place.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner for my wifeDisappointedDined on 10/18/2014I took my wife and two children (5 and 2.5yrs) to Scarpetta for my wife's birthday this past Saturday. We decided to go early as we know that kids can sometimes be very "demanding" in a restaurant environment. My daughter feel asleep in the taxi on the way over and they were very accommodating in giving us a booth so she could continue sleeping. The food and service were outstanding and my son truly enjoyed the spaghetti. When they heard it was my wife's birthday they brought an extra dessert for us to enjoy. Will be back soon, hopefully for a date night! Thanks.Special Features:
- Amazing food, gracious service.CindyKVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything about our dinner was amazing. The food was beyond delicious, and the service was attentive and gracious. If you go, you must get the spaghetti; you won't believe how perfect this simple dish can be. One of the best meals I've had in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scarpetta -DMHLCDined on 10/16/2014Incredible experience from the moment we walked in the door. Great wine selection, professional waitstaff, exquisite food...the dishes were unique and perfectly balanced...appetizers to dessert. A must visit...we will definitely return on our next trip to New York!! Absolutely outstanding experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick757Dined on 10/16/2014Great dishes - ravioli with duck and foie gras? Super! Service nice and perfect as always. Neighborhood vibrant! Not for a romantic dinner for two but a great place to have a perfect dinner with nice people. And if I read that Peter Luger and Hakasan have one star at michelin - how many star should this restaurant have? At least two! But better no star and this great quality of food!Special Features:
- WonderfulSandraDined on 10/12/2014Great environment, service impeccable and the food delicious! We were celebrating my sister's 60th birthday and everything was great! Will come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatmcwdbamomDined on 10/12/2014Always a favorite- usually can never go wrong with anything, but I wasn't impressed with the farro or lentil dish, and the one dish I had my heart on to try wasn't available because the dough didn't come out that day. But I'll still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.201NYCDined on 10/10/2014Food was amazing--so was the service. Space was a little cramped but typical for NYC. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent New Italianhereford29Dined on 10/9/2014The famous Spaghetti was simple yet excellent. My date had a pasta stuffed with beets and drizzled with pistashio pesto. It was also quite delicious. We split the polenta and grilled octopus for apps. Both delicious! The atmosphere was trendy and modern. The only drawback was that we had a table up front near the windows next to the bar. The bar was really loud and noisy. I would ask for a table in the back in the future.Special Features:
- Will come back with clientsEntertainerDined on 10/9/2014Brought my brother there for a special birthday celebration and to check the place out for future business dinners. Food was extremely well executed. Highlights--The black cod was prepAred just right And the chocolate cake was one to come back for. It's a bit loud for some, so I'll have to gauge who to bring back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious, ambience was...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/9/2014While the food was very delicious, the ambience was just not. The service was just okay - not unpleasant, but not friendly, either. It is a very loud restaurant, so it's hard to hear conversations at your table. Which means the whole restaurant is filled with people talking extremely loud to hear each other. Again, the food was delicious - especially the short rib appetizer, the spaghetti and the chocolate cake. If you don't mind very loud restaurants, you should try it for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/8/2014Sent my client, she had an incredible time and absolutely loved the stramboli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Joey1008Dined on 10/8/2014We had dinner at Scarpetta to celebrate our anniversary and it did not disappoint. Everything we ordered was amazing!! The service was also great. Our waitress was extremely helpful and made several recommendations, which we were glad we took. The portion sizes were perfect. They enabled us to try a variety of items on the menu. We will definitely be returning to try the rest of the menu. Absolute perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would def recommendMrRosegardenDined on 10/8/2014Sat immediately. (We had reservations) Brought a close friend for her birthday, we opted to eat off the tasting menu which is an excellent choice for first-timers. Nice decor--subtle and well lit. Their signature dish spaghetti and meatballs were good, perhaps very good but not out-of-this-world good. All else was delicious. They made a special "happy birthday" dessert plate for my guest and that was the cherry on top of an already great dinning experience. Not inexpensive by any means but worth it. Do eat there.Special Features:
- Second Time AroundKDUAYDined on 10/7/2014This was our second visit to Scarpetta within the last few months. We were looking forward to having another great meal as we did on our last visit. I wasn't disappointed. The food and service were outstanding. I absolutely love the cream polenta with mushrooms. It's my absolute favorite dish in NYC. I always have a hard time choosing my entrée there Service was attentive and very friendly. Anastasia, our server, was a delight and seemed to really enjoy her job. ESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedTinaDined on 10/6/2014We were looking for an upscale dining experience with exceptional food. That is not what we found. The food was decent but nothing to write home about. The only exception was the polenta with mushrooms, which was very good.
- Great food, rushed mealna15VIPDined on 10/5/2014I really enjoyed the three pastas I had at Scarpetta last Sunday. We split the: -Spaghetti (who knew spaghetti could be so good?!) -Short rib and bone marrow agnoletti -Duck and foie grab ravioli Each dish was equally delicious. The bread basket is also excellent! My only complaint is that we felt a bit rushed. They brought out our pastas so quickly that our meal was done in an hour. I prefer to eat more leisurely at a nice restaurant and did not appreciate this. All in all, this place is worth trying! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- 2Times2TimesDined on 10/3/2014The food was excellent and different from most restaurants. The service was excellent and our waiter was especially helpful, even though he was an Islander fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJensenDined on 10/2/2014The atmosphere was great, the service was excellent and the food was OUTSTANDING! Our server Terra gave us fantastic recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalbkbutcherDined on 10/2/2014One of the best meals we have had in the city. From wine selection to dessert, our meal was spectacular. The service was exceptional.Our waiter John helped us select the wine, answered all our questions about the menu. The polenta with truffels was so creamy and rich, just decadent. The duck and foie gras ravioli is a must have. The mielata with blueberry gelato for dessert was a perfect finish to the meal. Just a wonderful dining experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!!Kball0206Dined on 10/1/2014This is my 2nd time eating at Scarpetta! The food is always great and the service is impeccable. I would highly recommend Scarpetta to anyone looking for amazing food with great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentWantthebestformymoneyDined on 10/1/2014My husband and I wanted to do the tasting menu but were not allowed because the couple we were with did not want to participate. The reason they gave us was it would disturb the pace the the food was being served ( ask us if we cared , we were the ones dining ). They should worry about the taste of the food as much as the pace . We had short ribs that tasted and looked like spam with Campbell's vegetable soup poured over it . The next thing we had was gummy spaghetti full of basil probably to hide the terrible tomato sauce. We then had the most boring Branzino ever . The deserts were probably the best part of the meal but not worth coming back for .
- Everything outstanding!!!!!!FloridaVIPDined on 9/29/2014I my wife and my friends, we love everything.......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoboVIPDined on 9/29/2014This was our second visit to Scarpetta. We ordered Polenta which was delicious, the spaghetti with tomato & basil which was very good and the steamed Branzino. It was a lovely meal. The only reason I give it a "very good" review is the tables are so close together you can hardly have a private conversation. However, we will definitely return to Scarpetta the next time we are in New York!Special Features:
- Still Going StrongOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Brought friends from out of town and had a wonderful dinner -- attentive staff, not too noisey, and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014This spot is one of my favorites in the city. We visit every time I come!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OMG !!!!meekaVIPDined on 9/27/2014The best damn spaghetti I've ever eaten. My wife ordered chicken & once she tasted my spaghetti she ordered a dish for herself , we'll definitely be back shortly. Service was spot onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slick purveyor of ItalianPeteDined on 9/27/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner at the recommendation of a friend. Our table wasn't ready when we showed up, but the manager comped our drinks at the bar. Once we were seated they comped us the creamy polenta appetizer as well, which was delicious. The food is top notch. We also ordered the octopus appetizer, which was a smoky tentacle of deliciousness. Both of our pasta dishes were fabulous. All in all, an excellent meal despite the wait. We'll be back the next time we're in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!tkurylaDined on 9/26/2014A very fun night for a party of 4. The food was great, sommelier picked out a perfect bottle of red that even the non-red drinkers loved and the service was outstanding. Overall a great experience. We would absolutely come back when we are in NYC again!Special Features:
- Scarpetta A Must!tiefiveDined on 9/25/2014We enjoyed the tasting menu! Well worth the price, The Polenta was amazing as was the Braised short ribs! You cant go wrong at Scarpetta's. This is an energetic scene, as groups of six or more are seated, not a concern for us. However, if you are looking for an intimate meal, you might look elsewhere. Overall, a fantastic meal and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellencestrenksandorDined on 9/24/2014No matter how busy, this hot spot is always on target. Expect excellence at this great dining establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as ever!nycfoodieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Scarpetta consistently delivers amazing food and service! Hands down one of the best italian restaurants in the city because it's trendy, portions aren't huge, and great location. Really good value for price too!Special Features:
- great food, better than serviceyummybutnoloveDined on 9/22/2014all food was very delicious and presented beautifully. amazing bread basket and tapenade. delicious cocktails. waiter forgot a drink order then blamed bartender for "losing ticket". otherwise excellent. very loud, and mix of business dinners and tourists. not at all romantic or appropriate for a date night.Special Features:
- Scarpetta w/ clients and friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014As usual, the food was awesome and so was the service. Will be going back every year. You have to try the tuna and yellowtail apps, unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HBHBDined on 9/21/2014An amazing dining experience - top notch service and delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!foodielisa13Dined on 9/20/2014This place is phenomenal! I am a total foodie and would come back over and over!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious food!bigcatDined on 9/20/2014We've been coming for over 5 years and the food is ALWAYS excellent. Love the signature spaghetti dish. The chocolate cake dessert was heaven! Only thing to make the experience even better is to offer some seasonal specials occasionally--we have tried most everything on the menu and would like to see something new once in a while.Special Features: