355 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarpettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126910555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5:30 - 10:30.
Monday Through Thursday, 5:30 - 11.
Friday and Saturday, 5:30 - 12.
Bar opens at 4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Conant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Scarpetta
In May 2008, Chef Scott Conant opened Scarpetta in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scarpetta reviews from OpenTable diners
329 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (226)special occasion (181)romantic (111)hot spot (110)neighborhood gem (104)notable wine list (104)good for groups (46)vibrant bar scene (43)great for outdoor dining (28)late-night find (13)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- OMG !!!!meekaVIPDined on 9/27/2014The best damn spaghetti I've ever eaten. My wife ordered chicken & once she tasted my spaghetti she ordered a dish for herself , we'll definitely be back shortly. Service was spot onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slick purveyor of ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014We went here for our anniversary dinner at the recommendation of a friend. Our table wasn't ready when we showed up, but the manager comped our drinks at the bar. Once we were seated they comped us the creamy polenta appetizer as well, which was delicious. The food is top notch. We also ordered the octopus appetizer, which was a smoky tentacle of deliciousness. Both of our pasta dishes were fabulous. All in all, an excellent meal despite the wait. We'll be back the next time we're in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/26/2014A very fun night for a party of 4. The food was great, sommelier picked out a perfect bottle of red that even the non-red drinkers loved and the service was outstanding. Overall a great experience. We would absolutely come back when we are in NYC again!Special Features:
- Scarpetta A Must!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/25/2014We enjoyed the tasting menu! Well worth the price, The Polenta was amazing as was the Braised short ribs! You cant go wrong at Scarpetta's. This is an energetic scene, as groups of six or more are seated, not a concern for us. However, if you are looking for an intimate meal, you might look elsewhere. Overall, a fantastic meal and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellencestrenksandorDined on 9/24/2014No matter how busy, this hot spot is always on target. Expect excellence at this great dining establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As good as ever!nycfoodieVIPDined on 9/23/2014Scarpetta consistently delivers amazing food and service! Hands down one of the best italian restaurants in the city because it's trendy, portions aren't huge, and great location. Really good value for price too!Special Features:
- great food, better than serviceyummybutnoloveDined on 9/22/2014all food was very delicious and presented beautifully. amazing bread basket and tapenade. delicious cocktails. waiter forgot a drink order then blamed bartender for "losing ticket". otherwise excellent. very loud, and mix of business dinners and tourists. not at all romantic or appropriate for a date night.Special Features:
- Scarpetta w/ clients and friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014As usual, the food was awesome and so was the service. Will be going back every year. You have to try the tuna and yellowtail apps, unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HBHBDined on 9/21/2014An amazing dining experience - top notch service and delicious foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!foodielisa13Dined on 9/20/2014This place is phenomenal! I am a total foodie and would come back over and over!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently delicious food!bigcatDined on 9/20/2014We've been coming for over 5 years and the food is ALWAYS excellent. Love the signature spaghetti dish. The chocolate cake dessert was heaven! Only thing to make the experience even better is to offer some seasonal specials occasionally--we have tried most everything on the menu and would like to see something new once in a while.Special Features:
- Terrific ExperienceHanfcpaDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was terrific in all respects. We were tied up in horrible traffic in midtown and they graciously honored our reservation. From the greeting when we first got there to our waiter everyone was very gracious. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I loved the whole experience - nice setting with a beautiful skylight, spot on service and excellent food. The yellowtail crudo not to be missed. Delicious bread basket. The spaghetti lives up to the reputation. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Wait timeMamas50thBdayDined on 9/19/2014We had an 8:30 reservation through open table and did not get seated till close to 9:30! Not fun when you are with your "teens" and are underage to enjoy the bar....Special Features:
- Excellent Italian Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Scarpetta's is a fantastic Italian restaurant. You have to try the polenta with mushrooms. We had the Spaghetti Pomodoro and Chicken dish. They were phenomenal. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014We had the best dining experience here! The polenta, spaghetti, ravioli, and desserts were to die for!Special Features:
- Perfect!anon85635Dined on 9/15/2014Scarpetta is my favorite place to dine in all of NYC. I live in Arizona. My wife and I flew in this weekend just for dinner there. It was superb. Staff greeted us like old friends. We were seated at a wonderful table. We used a tasting menu approach and just ordered a bunch of items. They were unbelievable, but the creamy polenta and short ribs, plus the incomparable pasta were favorites. Oh and the duck/Foie gras ravioli was sooo good. you just can't dom any better than Scarpetta.Special Features:
- Loved it!PAFoodiesDined on 9/13/2014The service was excellent, and the food was delicious! The braised octopus was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was strangeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our meal at scarpetta was nothing short of amazing. I was a bit surprised with the service as I've dined here before and its generally fantastic. Our waiter, though a great personality, forgot small things that typically make the dining experience -- i.e. did not switch our wine glasses when we went from white to red, forgot a knife for one member at our table, and put the wrong orders in front of people. Overall, I would 100% continue to dine here, would just hope the service was a little better. That being said, it was my cousin's birthday and the honored her with a complimentary dessert.Special Features:
- PhenomenalItsmedesDined on 9/13/2014The atmosphere, Customer Service and the food were Phenomenal! Celebrated our 20th Anniversary and they brought out a dessert written in chocolate "Happy Anniversary". I recommend the Spaghetti and chocolate cake. It was truly amazing!Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food and service were great. Very attentive staff. Bread basket is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston Visit to NYCBarbaraVIPDined on 9/12/2014Scarpetta was one of the best restaurants my husband and I have eaten in. The staff was unbelievably wonderful, introducing themselves by name and offering to be of assistance. The bar scene was active and fun, but the shining star is the food. The polenta with mushrooms was incredible as were the main courses and the dessert. We never felt rushed and enjoyed the best night in the city. Highly recommend a visit to Scarpetta...we'll be back next time in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion experienceeAkMDined on 9/11/2014Outstanding food experience, as usual. Thank you! We love the spaghetti and the service.Special Features:
- A unique experienceIronDog23Dined on 9/10/2014Spectacular food expertly prepared, perfect proportion and appealing to the eye. Coupled with excellent service and one captures a delight evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnermel24Dined on 9/8/2014We had dinner here Sept. 8 having heard such good things. Our server was not friendly or attentive in the least the entire evening and the food was just ok. We ordered dessert after dinner and after waiting about 30 minutes the manager came over to tell us the "ticket' had been lost but he would make sure we got it. No compensation on our bill, we should've told him to forget it. Will we return to Scarpetta? No
- Delish.....DonnaKDined on 9/8/2014The food is absolutely delicious!! The best polenta I have EVER had in my life!!!! The mushrooms were to perfection! I have NEVER tasted better made pasta anywhere~! The Lentils were just incredible!!! The cocktails...... next time I will go JUST FOR COCKTAILS!!!!! I can't wait to go again to try other things on the menu!Special Features:
- Celebrated our 30th in style!RuxpinVIPDined on 9/7/2014We were in NYC to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary last week and Scarpetta was the best meal we had. The wait staff was very attentive while we perused the extensive wine list bringing bread, water and sparkling wine to start. The sommelier suggest a beautiful bottle of Amorone. My wife suggested the chef's tasting menu which included 6 courses. Each course was wonderfully prepared. It started with a their yellowfin tuna with pickled onions, then came the braised short ribs and creamy polenta. All three outstanding. Then came the spaghetti! A simple wonderful dish. The main courses were perfectly crispy red snapper and beautifully prepared tender goat. Desserts were a satisfying end to a perfect meal!Special Features:
- Creative pastas- delicious overallWillajaneVIPDined on 9/6/2014Scarpetta is an excellent choice for A special Italian mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014As always the food and the service were splendid Scarpetta. The duck ravioli with foie gras sauce is wonderful.
- Continued history of excellencedanberndtVIPDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful friendly attentive staff, fantastic cuisine, wonderful environment. Only disappointment was sitting near a group of rambunctious business men reliving frat boy days. But to offset that on the other side of us sat MADONNA incognito! So that made the evening even more memorable.Special Features:
- Celebrate here!PickyEaterDined on 9/4/2014Spent another birthday dinner here and it was fantastic. Great service, great atmosphere. Food was wonderful as always, but the menu could use a revamp. Same dishes as 12 months ago. Pasta is a highlight -- try the one with poppy seeds and pistachios on top. You won't believe there is a beet stuffing! Beets are always good, but this dish raises them to a new level. All fish dishes are 5 stars. For appetizers, the chilled pea soup was outstanding. The farm salad was disappointing; needed seasoning and pizzazz. Signature cocktails are really good, and so are desserts. Love that chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To the naysayersOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/3/2014I have never written a review before, but I felt I needed to for Scarpetta after reading the negative reviews about the service in particular. We found the service to be perfect--attentive but not overbearing, informative but not condescending. Exactly what I would have hoped for in a comfortable but upscale restaurant. I went there tonight with my 14 yr old son and they treated us with the utmost respect and attention to detail even though we weren't ordering the most expensive wines by the bottle or multiple courses. This, to me, shows exceptional service. Food was also very good, starting with the flavorful Caponata and yummy bread (including one with salami baked into the folds which was amazing!)Special Features:
- Best meal in NYCEpicurianDined on 8/31/2014We reserved at Scarpetta because it was near our hotel on the High Line. Had the best meal we've ever eaten in New York. Grilled Branzino and aged tenderloin - fantastic. Beautiful presentation, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff. Delicious deserts. Will definitely reserve again the next time we're in the city. Only after dinner did we realize this was one of Scott Conant's restaurants. So no surprise at the tremendous quality of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingdavesarnVIPDined on 8/30/2014What can you say about one of the top places in the city. Amazing service, scene and menu.Special Features:
- DisappointedsrqdinersVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our starters & main courses were lacking in the listed ingredients. Very little taste. Service was just okay. Food & wine quite pricey, and definitely not worth it. Much better choices abound.
- Special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014You will feel special dining here. The service was exceptional and everything we ate/drank was delicious. We had the octopus and tuna to start and then shared the duck ravioli and black cod as our main.Special Features:
- Best Meal in Manhattan!JerryDined on 8/28/2014I am a demanding restaurant customer and I have no complaints! Truly great meal and evening. Had the tasting menu with the wine pairings. Expensive, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top norch foodvivpDined on 8/28/2014I am particular and everything here was terrific from the bread to the Caponata to the beet filled ravioli's delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is outstanding; service is okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014We had to wait 45 minutes past our reservations and after several nudges to the hostess were given a table right at the entrance in the bar area. Our service was just ok and not impressive. I realize that food is great but their service will be their downfall. For the prices they charge I would expect a better experience. If they are only selling good food my recommendation to them is open a carryout restaurant and ditch the full service model!!
- Some IssuesScarpetta123456789123456VIPDined on 8/23/2014The front of the house was not service-oriented. They lacked refinements that should be standard in a fine-dining establishment. The Manager clearly stated that he did not care about proper service or remedying any snafus. Good food - but why wasn't every dish warm? $24 for a small dish of plain spaghetti that only costs $1-$2? No meatballs. No Riccata?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.