355 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarpettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126910555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5:30 - 10:30.
Monday Through Thursday, 5:30 - 11.
Friday and Saturday, 5:30 - 12.
Bar opens at 4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Conant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Scarpetta
In May 2008, Chef Scott Conant opened Scarpetta in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scarpetta reviews from OpenTable diners
330 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (226)special occasion (195)romantic (117)hot spot (108)notable wine list (105)neighborhood gem (103)good for groups (44)vibrant bar scene (42)great for outdoor dining (27)late-night find (16)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Amazing!foodielisa13Dined on 9/20/2014This place is phenomenal! I am a total foodie and would come back over and over!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific ExperienceHanfcpaDined on 9/20/2014The restaurant was terrific in all respects. We were tied up in horrible traffic in midtown and they graciously honored our reservation. From the greeting when we first got there to our waiter everyone was very gracious. Food was outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I loved the whole experience - nice setting with a beautiful skylight, spot on service and excellent food. The yellowtail crudo not to be missed. Delicious bread basket. The spaghetti lives up to the reputation. We will certainly return.Special Features:
- Excellent Italian Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/18/2014Scarpetta's is a fantastic Italian restaurant. You have to try the polenta with mushrooms. We had the Spaghetti Pomodoro and Chicken dish. They were phenomenal. Enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/16/2014We had the best dining experience here! The polenta, spaghetti, ravioli, and desserts were to die for!Special Features:
- Perfect!anon85635Dined on 9/15/2014Scarpetta is my favorite place to dine in all of NYC. I live in Arizona. My wife and I flew in this weekend just for dinner there. It was superb. Staff greeted us like old friends. We were seated at a wonderful table. We used a tasting menu approach and just ordered a bunch of items. They were unbelievable, but the creamy polenta and short ribs, plus the incomparable pasta were favorites. Oh and the duck/Foie gras ravioli was sooo good. you just can't dom any better than Scarpetta.Special Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014The service was excellent, and the food was delicious! The braised octopus was fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great, service was strangeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Our meal at scarpetta was nothing short of amazing. I was a bit surprised with the service as I've dined here before and its generally fantastic. Our waiter, though a great personality, forgot small things that typically make the dining experience -- i.e. did not switch our wine glasses when we went from white to red, forgot a knife for one member at our table, and put the wrong orders in front of people. Overall, I would 100% continue to dine here, would just hope the service was a little better. That being said, it was my cousin's birthday and the honored her with a complimentary dessert.Special Features:
- PhenomenalItsmedesDined on 9/13/2014The atmosphere, Customer Service and the food were Phenomenal! Celebrated our 20th Anniversary and they brought out a dessert written in chocolate "Happy Anniversary". I recommend the Spaghetti and chocolate cake. It was truly amazing!Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014The food and service were great. Very attentive staff. Bread basket is deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boston Visit to NYCBarbaraVIPDined on 9/12/2014Scarpetta was one of the best restaurants my husband and I have eaten in. The staff was unbelievably wonderful, introducing themselves by name and offering to be of assistance. The bar scene was active and fun, but the shining star is the food. The polenta with mushrooms was incredible as were the main courses and the dessert. We never felt rushed and enjoyed the best night in the city. Highly recommend a visit to Scarpetta...we'll be back next time in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion experienceeAkMDined on 9/11/2014Outstanding food experience, as usual. Thank you! We love the spaghetti and the service.Special Features:
- A unique experienceIronDog23Dined on 9/10/2014Spectacular food expertly prepared, perfect proportion and appealing to the eye. Coupled with excellent service and one captures a delight evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnermel24Dined on 9/8/2014We had dinner here Sept. 8 having heard such good things. Our server was not friendly or attentive in the least the entire evening and the food was just ok. We ordered dessert after dinner and after waiting about 30 minutes the manager came over to tell us the "ticket' had been lost but he would make sure we got it. No compensation on our bill, we should've told him to forget it. Will we return to Scarpetta? No
- Delish.....DonnaKDined on 9/8/2014The food is absolutely delicious!! The best polenta I have EVER had in my life!!!! The mushrooms were to perfection! I have NEVER tasted better made pasta anywhere~! The Lentils were just incredible!!! The cocktails...... next time I will go JUST FOR COCKTAILS!!!!! I can't wait to go again to try other things on the menu!Special Features:
- Celebrated our 30th in style!RuxpinVIPDined on 9/7/2014We were in NYC to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary last week and Scarpetta was the best meal we had. The wait staff was very attentive while we perused the extensive wine list bringing bread, water and sparkling wine to start. The sommelier suggest a beautiful bottle of Amorone. My wife suggested the chef's tasting menu which included 6 courses. Each course was wonderfully prepared. It started with a their yellowfin tuna with pickled onions, then came the braised short ribs and creamy polenta. All three outstanding. Then came the spaghetti! A simple wonderful dish. The main courses were perfectly crispy red snapper and beautifully prepared tender goat. Desserts were a satisfying end to a perfect meal!Special Features:
- Creative pastas- delicious overallWillajaneVIPDined on 9/6/2014Scarpetta is an excellent choice for A special Italian mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/5/2014As always the food and the service were splendid Scarpetta. The duck ravioli with foie gras sauce is wonderful.
- Continued history of excellencedanberndtVIPDined on 9/4/2014Wonderful friendly attentive staff, fantastic cuisine, wonderful environment. Only disappointment was sitting near a group of rambunctious business men reliving frat boy days. But to offset that on the other side of us sat MADONNA incognito! So that made the evening even more memorable.Special Features:
- Celebrate here!PickyEaterDined on 9/4/2014Spent another birthday dinner here and it was fantastic. Great service, great atmosphere. Food was wonderful as always, but the menu could use a revamp. Same dishes as 12 months ago. Pasta is a highlight -- try the one with poppy seeds and pistachios on top. You won't believe there is a beet stuffing! Beets are always good, but this dish raises them to a new level. All fish dishes are 5 stars. For appetizers, the chilled pea soup was outstanding. The farm salad was disappointing; needed seasoning and pizzazz. Signature cocktails are really good, and so are desserts. Love that chocolate cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To the naysayersOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 9/3/2014I have never written a review before, but I felt I needed to for Scarpetta after reading the negative reviews about the service in particular. We found the service to be perfect--attentive but not overbearing, informative but not condescending. Exactly what I would have hoped for in a comfortable but upscale restaurant. I went there tonight with my 14 yr old son and they treated us with the utmost respect and attention to detail even though we weren't ordering the most expensive wines by the bottle or multiple courses. This, to me, shows exceptional service. Food was also very good, starting with the flavorful Caponata and yummy bread (including one with salami baked into the folds which was amazing!)Special Features:
- Best meal in NYCEpicurianDined on 8/31/2014We reserved at Scarpetta because it was near our hotel on the High Line. Had the best meal we've ever eaten in New York. Grilled Branzino and aged tenderloin - fantastic. Beautiful presentation, knowledgeable and attentive wait staff. Delicious deserts. Will definitely reserve again the next time we're in the city. Only after dinner did we realize this was one of Scott Conant's restaurants. So no surprise at the tremendous quality of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingdavesarnVIPDined on 8/30/2014What can you say about one of the top places in the city. Amazing service, scene and menu.Special Features:
- DisappointedsrqdinersVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our starters & main courses were lacking in the listed ingredients. Very little taste. Service was just okay. Food & wine quite pricey, and definitely not worth it. Much better choices abound.
- Special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014You will feel special dining here. The service was exceptional and everything we ate/drank was delicious. We had the octopus and tuna to start and then shared the duck ravioli and black cod as our main.Special Features:
- Best Meal in Manhattan!JerryDined on 8/28/2014I am a demanding restaurant customer and I have no complaints! Truly great meal and evening. Had the tasting menu with the wine pairings. Expensive, but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top norch foodvivpDined on 8/28/2014I am particular and everything here was terrific from the bread to the Caponata to the beet filled ravioli's delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is outstanding; service is okOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/26/2014We had to wait 45 minutes past our reservations and after several nudges to the hostess were given a table right at the entrance in the bar area. Our service was just ok and not impressive. I realize that food is great but their service will be their downfall. For the prices they charge I would expect a better experience. If they are only selling good food my recommendation to them is open a carryout restaurant and ditch the full service model!!
- Some IssuesScarpetta123456789123456VIPDined on 8/23/2014The front of the house was not service-oriented. They lacked refinements that should be standard in a fine-dining establishment. The Manager clearly stated that he did not care about proper service or remedying any snafus. Good food - but why wasn't every dish warm? $24 for a small dish of plain spaghetti that only costs $1-$2? No meatballs. No Riccata?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect SpotAnnieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Absolutely incredible food (the spaghetti......) ambiance, and service.Special Features:
- Amazing!mp1985Dined on 8/23/2014Our server was happy to answer all of the questions about the menu - you could tell she had really tasted most of the dishes and knew what she was talking about. The tomato basil spaghetti was very basil-y and delicious, and the short rib and bone marrow agnolotti was out of this world. Would come back for another special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thoroughly lives up to reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/19/2014Went for wife's birthday and thoroughly enjoyed the ambience, service, and food. The spaghetti and mushrooms-and-grits appetizer were especially outstanding. Would not hesitate to recommend to anyone seeking a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Very solid yet not over the topOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/18/2014The food, at this modern Italian restaurant on the edge of the meat packing district is very consistent and innovative. However, it can not compare to Babbo. It has a smaller menu and is not nearly as memorable. The service is also solid, but the wait staff does not seem to go "above and beyond."Special Features:
- A solid B+MattVIPDined on 8/18/2014Maybe I just caught Scarpetta on an off night, but the whole experience was just "OK" - not an ideal outcome for the price and the hype...
- great, Great, GREAT!!!beezerVIPDined on 8/17/2014Love the area, the service was first rate and the food was excellent. The risotto with Australian black truffles was unforgettable and both of our fish dishes were everything you would expect from a classy restaurant like this- would definitely go backSpecial Features:
- i keep coming back for more!doctoraVIPDined on 8/17/2014This was my 4th visit and this wonderful Italian energetic little restaurant continues to deliver perfect food from pasta to dolce. Benissimo!!Special Features:
- A shadow of its former self2ndJobVIPDined on 8/16/2014Once consistently exceeded expectations. Now, hit or miss. This is not a restaurant that should be serving overcooked pasta. Disappointing decline.Special Features:
- delicious anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/16/2014We had been wanting to try Scarpetta for quite some time. We finally made it happen on a recent Saturday evening, in celebration of our anniversary. Our entire experience was amazing. Was it expensive? Yes. But we knew that going in and it was a special occasion. Drinks: we each had a specialty cocktail that was delicious. We also had some tasty wines by the glass (both white and red). Food: stellar. We shared the octopus (amazing) and polenta (creamy and delicious) appetizers. For dinner I had the short rib stuff pasta which was both light and creamy at the same time. Hubs had the beet ravioli which were sweet and tasty. We didn't order dessert, but our waiter brought some small Italian cookies/candies with our check. Primo service!Special Features:
- It was fine.nycspotreviewsDined on 8/15/2014There was a wait for a table inside despite the fact I made reservations. That's ridiculous. So we sat outside, among the water bugs crawling around. Good was passable, but not particularly flavorful or bold for the higher-than-average cost.
- Good, but babbo's better!abaazVIPDined on 8/14/2014I'm sorry I ever second guessed you Babbo. Food was good but the service and quality of experience was severely lacking specially when you consider the price point.Special Features: