355 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarpettanyc.com/
- Phone: 2126910555
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, 5:30 - 10:30.
Monday Through Thursday, 5:30 - 11.
Friday and Saturday, 5:30 - 12.
Bar opens at 4pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Scott Conant
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Scarpetta
In May 2008, Chef Scott Conant opened Scarpetta in the Gansevoort Market Historic District. An Italian expression that means “little shoe” -- or the shape bread takes when used to soak up a dish -- Scarpetta represents the pure pleasure of savoring a meal down to the very last taste. The restaurant’s seasonally-inspired Italian dishes offer farm-fresh ingredients and clean, earthy flavors that pay homage to Conant’s heritage and time in Italy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Scarpetta - Best Restaurants in Chelsea ›
Scarpetta reviews from OpenTable diners
347 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (258)special occasion (188)hot spot (116)neighborhood gem (114)romantic (113)notable wine list (110)good for groups (61)vibrant bar scene (51)great for outdoor dining (26)late-night find (16)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Expected moreNKNYVIPDined on 10/29/2014I had tried Scarpetta in Miami a few years ago and it hadn't impressed me. I walked by the NY location and I thought it seemed cozy so I made reservations. The food was not good. Unseasoned, uncreative and much much more expensive than it should be.Special Features:
- Really NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Husband and I heard about this place so on our last visit to NYC decided to make a reservation. To be honest the menu was intimidating because it seemed so fancy. Oh my goodness was the food outstanding!! We will definitely return. Our server was wonderful as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!Luv2eatDined on 10/27/2014We had an excellent experience! Our best meal in NYC!! What a treat! We all loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceJCNYCDined on 10/26/2014Great food and ambience! I recommend the veg misto fritto for appetizer and gnochetti as pasta. Wonderful ricotta cheesecake too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time at Scarpetta,,,GreatjerryVIPDined on 10/26/2014I had heard nice things but had never visited. You have to know where you are going since it does not stand out. The food and service were quite good. We had a group of 7 and although they do not have round tables they set us up well. We tried a lot of different things and everyone enjoyed their food. Very inventive menu. I highly recommend. Lily was a great server and the reception ladies were great.Special Features:
- Consistantly AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/26/2014Have eaten at Scarpetta several times and the food is always amazing. Not to miss dishes include the Polenta with Mushroom and the Spaghetti with tomato and basil!! Also, the seasonal white truffle pasta is pricey but worth it!! I have had several of the entrees and they have all been delicious particularly the Carpetta and the Black Cod. The complementary bread basket has a pleasing variety of stuffed breads and plain crusty rolls. This spot has always been a favorite of my family.Special Features:
- FabulousreenieDined on 10/25/2014I had been wanting to go to Scarpetta for a long time due to Scott Conant's reputation for pasta, etc. While we were told Scott is no longer affiliated with the restaurant, the recipes are all his. The food was so incredible that my dining partner who is a real foodie said it was one of the most memorable meals she ever had. We had two different dishes and of course kept sharing. We also had the short rib appetizer which left us anticipating how the main course could be any better than that. But it was, if not better, at least as wonderful. One dish had the truffle oil & the other had more short ribs and another main ingredient which I cannot recall. Dessert was fabulous as well and the drinks were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealReviewedDined on 10/25/2014The service is outstanding and the food is even better. I have nothing bad at all to say. I would and will come back again. If you want a 5 star meal Scarpetta will deliver. Really is everything that it is billed to be. All around great dining experience.Special Features:
- Terrific trufflesShannonDined on 10/25/2014Amazing birthday dinner celebration. The homemade pasta with fresh shaved white truffles was one of the best dishes I've ever had. Fish was also perfectly prepared and beautifully presented. Finished with delicious lemon and olive oil cake and gelato. Really can't say enough great things about this restaurant.Special Features:
- Lovely dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014With a nondescript entrance, Scarpetta feels a bit like a hidden dining gem. It's a much nicer experience in the rear dining room, as the bar area and neighboring tables are quite noisy with both talk and music. The food was yummy. I would recommend the braised short rib primi in a heartbeat. It was seasoned well and the beef just melts in your mouth. The crispy fritto misto was underwhelming and under-seasoned. While the tomato and basil spaghetti was indeed tasty, perfectly al dente, and the natural ingredients shone through, I wouldn't feel the need to order it again in a future visit. The warming glass dome was a cute touch to the plating. We were mildly disappointed by the lukewarm chocolate cake, which had already sunken in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Go-TostrenksandorDined on 10/24/2014Scarpetta has become our go-to restaurant whenever we stay downtown. The pasta is out of this world and you can always find a very good, reasonably priced Italian wine on the list. They always honor our special request of sitting side by side. We just wish they were a little more prompt in seating patrons at the time reserved. Even dining late after theater, we are usually asked to wait at the bar.Special Features:
- Had a lot to live up to.......OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Was highly rated, but though i could not really complain about anything in particular, wasn't up to the expectations set. Tables crammed quite close together and service pretty average really for this level of venue. couldn't carry the bar bill into the restaurant is hardly putting customers first There are better choices - even if this should be on the B list to visitSpecial Features:
- Great food, great placeLindaDined on 10/23/2014Second time at Scarpetta- love it. Shared truffles- fantastic. Excellent meal, excellent waitstaff. Perfect in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing foodAllisonVIPDined on 10/23/2014We were visiting Manhattan from the week, and this was by far our best meal there. The food was incredible! I had heard good things, and the actual experience still exceeded my expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy dinnerAntiochDined on 10/21/2014Noise level was excessive,tables too close. Ditto at the bar.Special Features:
- Food was really good but....Emmykins132000Dined on 10/21/2014I specifically requested that we not be seated by the front door and that right where we were seated. We felt slightly rushes and the food came out too quickly. They did write happy anniversary on our dessert but there was no discount. Overall it was just ok, I would go back to try more food but would try and not be rushed through the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whoops!DCabDined on 10/21/2014Having been to the restaurant at the Cosmo in Vegas, I was expecting great things here in the food Mecca of NYC. Boy was I mistaken! Other than the signature spaghetti, everything else was mediocre to down right bad... so salty you couldn't eat it. I will never go back.
- Not as expected :-(SocalbeeDined on 10/18/2014Entrees were not up to our expectations (very ordinary) and they were lukewarm upon service. The Desserts were exceptionally good and the service was very good.Special Features:
- Exceptional service, exquisite foodGr8fdmttrsDined on 10/18/2014Simply put: my evening at Scarpetta was among my top five dining experiences - ever. And that includes Italy, Spain and France. There is something magical about being greeted by a team of gracious, competent professionals who clearly love what they do and where they do it. Complements indeed to the master chef who inspires this kind of teamwork and inspired service. From start to finish, we were guided to make the kind of choices that left us eager to come back. As popular a restaurant as this is, we felt as though we were the only guests in the room, and that every bite we took was to be savored and remembered. I can assure you they will be. The wine suggestions were thoughtful, and once tasted, brilliant. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- So very different from the packXteenDined on 10/18/2014This was not your usual Italian restaurant.. from the fabulous vodka martini they made me at the bar to the outstanding and creamiest polenta with mushrooms and truffle oil and then the halibut and finally the most delicious wanna cotta with roasted pineapple and guava sauce.. the meal was just perfect; our waiter was excellent and the place was just what I wanted in a restaurant.. made me feel special enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SNLfoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014We loved dining at Scarpetta - areal treat…we were seated at the corner table of the restaurant affording us a view of all of the action on a Saturday night…thankfully we were seated at 6PM otherwise the wait would have been long…highly recommend the place.Special Features:
- Birthday Dinner for my wifeDisappointedDined on 10/18/2014I took my wife and two children (5 and 2.5yrs) to Scarpetta for my wife's birthday this past Saturday. We decided to go early as we know that kids can sometimes be very "demanding" in a restaurant environment. My daughter feel asleep in the taxi on the way over and they were very accommodating in giving us a booth so she could continue sleeping. The food and service were outstanding and my son truly enjoyed the spaghetti. When they heard it was my wife's birthday they brought an extra dessert for us to enjoy. Will be back soon, hopefully for a date night! Thanks.Special Features:
- Amazing food, gracious service.CindyKVIPDined on 10/17/2014Everything about our dinner was amazing. The food was beyond delicious, and the service was attentive and gracious. If you go, you must get the spaghetti; you won't believe how perfect this simple dish can be. One of the best meals I've had in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scarpetta -DMHLCDined on 10/16/2014Incredible experience from the moment we walked in the door. Great wine selection, professional waitstaff, exquisite food...the dishes were unique and perfectly balanced...appetizers to dessert. A must visit...we will definitely return on our next trip to New York!! Absolutely outstanding experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick757Dined on 10/16/2014Great dishes - ravioli with duck and foie gras? Super! Service nice and perfect as always. Neighborhood vibrant! Not for a romantic dinner for two but a great place to have a perfect dinner with nice people. And if I read that Peter Luger and Hakasan have one star at michelin - how many star should this restaurant have? At least two! But better no star and this great quality of food!Special Features:
- WonderfulSandraDined on 10/12/2014Great environment, service impeccable and the food delicious! We were celebrating my sister's 60th birthday and everything was great! Will come back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatmcwdbamomDined on 10/12/2014Always a favorite- usually can never go wrong with anything, but I wasn't impressed with the farro or lentil dish, and the one dish I had my heart on to try wasn't available because the dough didn't come out that day. But I'll still go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it.201NYCDined on 10/10/2014Food was amazing--so was the service. Space was a little cramped but typical for NYC. Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent New Italianhereford29Dined on 10/9/2014The famous Spaghetti was simple yet excellent. My date had a pasta stuffed with beets and drizzled with pistashio pesto. It was also quite delicious. We split the polenta and grilled octopus for apps. Both delicious! The atmosphere was trendy and modern. The only drawback was that we had a table up front near the windows next to the bar. The bar was really loud and noisy. I would ask for a table in the back in the future.Special Features:
- Will come back with clientsEntertainerDined on 10/9/2014Brought my brother there for a special birthday celebration and to check the place out for future business dinners. Food was extremely well executed. Highlights--The black cod was prepAred just right And the chocolate cake was one to come back for. It's a bit loud for some, so I'll have to gauge who to bring back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious, ambience was...OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/9/2014While the food was very delicious, the ambience was just not. The service was just okay - not unpleasant, but not friendly, either. It is a very loud restaurant, so it's hard to hear conversations at your table. Which means the whole restaurant is filled with people talking extremely loud to hear each other. Again, the food was delicious - especially the short rib appetizer, the spaghetti and the chocolate cake. If you don't mind very loud restaurants, you should try it for yourself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/8/2014Sent my client, she had an incredible time and absolutely loved the stramboli.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!Joey1008Dined on 10/8/2014We had dinner at Scarpetta to celebrate our anniversary and it did not disappoint. Everything we ordered was amazing!! The service was also great. Our waitress was extremely helpful and made several recommendations, which we were glad we took. The portion sizes were perfect. They enabled us to try a variety of items on the menu. We will definitely be returning to try the rest of the menu. Absolute perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would def recommendMrRosegardenDined on 10/8/2014Sat immediately. (We had reservations) Brought a close friend for her birthday, we opted to eat off the tasting menu which is an excellent choice for first-timers. Nice decor--subtle and well lit. Their signature dish spaghetti and meatballs were good, perhaps very good but not out-of-this-world good. All else was delicious. They made a special "happy birthday" dessert plate for my guest and that was the cherry on top of an already great dinning experience. Not inexpensive by any means but worth it. Do eat there.Special Features:
- Second Time AroundKDUAYDined on 10/7/2014This was our second visit to Scarpetta within the last few months. We were looking forward to having another great meal as we did on our last visit. I wasn't disappointed. The food and service were outstanding. I absolutely love the cream polenta with mushrooms. It's my absolute favorite dish in NYC. I always have a hard time choosing my entrée there Service was attentive and very friendly. Anastasia, our server, was a delight and seemed to really enjoy her job. ESpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedTinaDined on 10/6/2014We were looking for an upscale dining experience with exceptional food. That is not what we found. The food was decent but nothing to write home about. The only exception was the polenta with mushrooms, which was very good.
- Great food, rushed mealna15VIPDined on 10/5/2014I really enjoyed the three pastas I had at Scarpetta last Sunday. We split the: -Spaghetti (who knew spaghetti could be so good?!) -Short rib and bone marrow agnoletti -Duck and foie grab ravioli Each dish was equally delicious. The bread basket is also excellent! My only complaint is that we felt a bit rushed. They brought out our pastas so quickly that our meal was done in an hour. I prefer to eat more leisurely at a nice restaurant and did not appreciate this. All in all, this place is worth trying! You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- 2Times2TimesDined on 10/3/2014The food was excellent and different from most restaurants. The service was excellent and our waiter was especially helpful, even though he was an Islander fan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJensenDined on 10/2/2014The atmosphere was great, the service was excellent and the food was OUTSTANDING! Our server Terra gave us fantastic recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalbkbutcherDined on 10/2/2014One of the best meals we have had in the city. From wine selection to dessert, our meal was spectacular. The service was exceptional.Our waiter John helped us select the wine, answered all our questions about the menu. The polenta with truffels was so creamy and rich, just decadent. The duck and foie gras ravioli is a must have. The mielata with blueberry gelato for dessert was a perfect finish to the meal. Just a wonderful dining experience from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.