Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: (781) 749-8200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
144 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)fit for foodies (68)neighborhood gem (65)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (42)romantic (35)great for lunch (30)hot spot (28)great for brunch (27)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (20)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- All good except ?????OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014If you happen to sit in the back dining room you may find depending where you sit - humming drone type sound. The sound can make you a bit crazy. They say its the AC - My third time there - must put open table customers in that area - asked to be moved each time. PS not much bothers me - this didSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2014This is a great spot for a real grown-up dinner. The service was great; we were seated at the time of our reservation and our server kept the meal paced well. Delicious Wedge salad and pork loin with lentils special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Service!MarkDined on 11/11/2014We go to this local gem 5- 6 times per year and always love it. They have some real nice fish dishes but unfortunately the seared tuna was COOKED tuna last night. This was the first time this ever occurred and I don't expect to happen when we return - Service is friendly, attentive and top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time, good foodSundayDinerDined on 11/8/2014Four of us enjoyed good food and good service. Glass of wine was small, though, considering the price. Could have been more generous in that department.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We very much enjoyed our luncheon, we took my husband Paul's Mom out for her 89th Birthday and she very much enjoyed her family luncheon. We will visit many times in the future I am sure.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerTwo4dinnerDined on 11/3/2014My wife and I had never had the opportunity to dine at The Scarlet Oak and decided to give a try on our 35th wedding anniversary. It was the perfect choice! I took the opportunity to have a dozen roses delivered to the restaurant and the staff had them on the table when we arrived. Our server, Nikki was superb! Nikki was attentive but not smothering, her timing was right on. The complimentary champaign toast was a nice surprise. The food was absolutely delicious, the portions were just right and the flavor right on. We will definitely be returning to The Scarlet Oak!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 10/28/2014Nice selection of beers on tap - many local brews. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great BrunchFoodlover2VIPDined on 10/26/2014Love the brunch here! REALLY good pancakes!! Also love the service and the ambiance is very cozy!Special Features:
- DaveDined on 10/26/2014Sunday Brunch with two four year-olds. Great table as requested, good food/service, and kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday gone badBday54Dined on 10/24/2014A party of 4 got there early . Reserved with request for a good table since it was a birthday. When we arrived we also let them know this. We we're taken to our table in the far far far ... Led thru the beautiful low lit room into the back addition that not only had a bright spotlight over the table but also an annoying loud hum emanating from somewhere. We immediately said no way and told would be seated in a few minutes. A half hour later we were seated in the good room. We had to tell our waiter it was a birthday as she was unaware. So note to the birthday folks... Telling them it is a special occasion does nothing . May go back but probably for pizza at the bAr which is usually a lovely experience.
- Half-Way BetweenFernDined on 10/22/2014My good friend lives now in Plymouth and I live in JP. This wonderful tavern is about half-way and we meet for lunch there when we can----it never disappoints, it is staffed by delightful folks, the food is super (my friend LOVED her salad and my sandwich was perfect), and the authentic Colonial atmosphere has all the right touches. I look forward to our next visit----and this one was during the first day of this big Nor'Easter so we both drove in this crazy rainstorm. So worth it.Special Features:
- Love this place!RobbinVIPDined on 10/21/2014Now our third visit there. We really like the food and the atmosphere. Great spot!! Our server was good but not the best we have had there. But nice enough!Special Features:
- Servicejpm1Dined on 10/20/2014The wait staff was excellent. Andrew Jacobs made the night with his attention to detail and how he made our night special was awesome. By far one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Somewhat disappointedJmasDined on 10/18/2014We chose the Scarlet Oak Tavern to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary. We had a 8:30 pm dinner reservation and were told it would be a few minutes to be seated. We stood in the bar area until 9:20 pm when we were finally seated at our table. We had the rib eye steak and chicken pie which we would definitely recommend. The creme brûlée was a great light dessert to end our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definitely go back!cpizuDined on 10/18/2014The mussels are a MUST try as an appetizer, they were very good! I had the filet with pan seared scallops, both were excellent! My Husband had the bone-in ribeye and it was also superb, & was cooked perfectly. the nose level took some getting used to but the quality of the food and service out weighs the noise, I highly recommend The Scarlett Oak and cannot wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- naDisapointingDined on 10/18/2014Lamb special was dry overall O.K. will try againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceSarahmmahoneyDined on 10/18/2014Server and chef were open to customizing our orders. It was very busy, but we we're seated right away and had great service the entire timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendstoots1Dined on 10/18/2014Always a pleasure to got to the Scarlet Oak.. Service is always very good AND THE FOOD AND BEVERAGES ALSO VERY GOOD. I go there on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!RobbinVIPDined on 10/12/2014What a great spot. Excellent decor and ambiance and great food! I cannot wait to come back. Had the seafood platter (individual size) and it was just the right amount of food. I made that my entree as we had a late lunch. The chicken I was told was delicious too so we were both very happy with our first experience. We are down the road right now and look forward to coming back again real soon!Special Features:
- Nice Sunday brunchTouchbaseVIPDined on 10/12/2014Excellent service and all seven at our table were happy with our selections - 4 of us ordered off of the brunch menu, and 3 ordered lunch. Food was very good and it was a nice atmosphere for a mixed generation party.Special Features:
- Comfortable ClassicPlymouthTravelers2Dined on 10/9/2014We keep coming back to the Scarlet Oak Tavern for its dependably delicious cuisine and comfortable ambience. This visit my husband ordered a Sirloin Steak with two sides, Mashed Potatoes and Fresh Green Beans and I ordered one of the specials, the Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Collard Greens in a Balsamic Reduction Sauce and the Spring Onion and Goat Cheese Flan. It was to die for. I want the flan recipe! We cleaned our plates. Dessert was Noni's home-made Chocolate Chunk Mocha Ice Cream. Service was perfect - attentive but not obtrusive. On a Thursday night the parking lot filled, the restaurant lively but not too loud, just enough background noise that in our comfortable booth we could talk and have privacy. We had a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantKEGMADined on 10/4/2014We have gone to Scarlet Oak Tavern several times over the last couple of years and we are never disappointed. The food is spectacular and their service is outstanding. A portion of our meal was forgotten when our dinner was served and not only did the waitress apologize several times, the manager came over to apologize and as we were walking out, she apologized to us again. The place was so busy on a Saturday night, I was surprised the manager would remember us. I just don't think you get their level of service at most places any more. We love their steak entrees and their carrot cake is the absolute best!!!!Special Features:
- We had a great timekathleenDined on 10/4/2014Everything was fabulous. Food was excellent and service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place!GregBostonDined on 10/3/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. They have valet parking, the inside is amazing, the bar is great, the dining rooms are perfect and the food is always perfect. This time we went our waitress was hilarious. She joined in on our antics and it made such a wonderful evening for all of us. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and family friendlyBCarey3Dined on 10/2/2014Had a great birthday dinner for my wife and the kids enjoyed it too. Food was excellent - tuna tartare app and lobster risotto were standoutsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Our greeting at the front desk was wonderful. The waitress was lovely and very attentive. There was a group of business men who were loud, obnoxious and using profanity. Unfortunately they sat very close to us. It reached the point that my husband spoke to them concerning their language. Otherwise it would have been a delightful dining out experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingfavoriteplacesDined on 9/28/2014Every meal should include the Scarlet Oak Tavern salad! Everything was delicious (especially the clam chowder), and definitely we will return. The service was great too. It was a celebration, and our server presented us with a complimentary glass of champagne!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dee61Dined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious! Would definitely go back to try something else on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spot south of bostonadaminbostonDined on 9/22/2014Had dinner with family and greatly enjoyed everything. Our waitress (Caitrion I think is how she spelled it?) was engaging and was able to give her personal recommendations as to the menu choices. Really liked the haddock, which is one of their regular main dishes. The layout of the restaurant is interesting as it's in a 1700s era house, with the bar in the center and dining areas spread out around a very wide open layout. Because of this it's definitely not a "quiet" setting, but the noise level was one that added to the ambiance without detracting from our conversations.Special Features:
- robbieDined on 9/21/2014Overall it was a good experience. steak was a little under cooked. service and ambiance were greatSpecial Features:
- Great Steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Not disappointed by the sirloin steak! Very good quality for the price!Special Features:
- 6 StarsFanaticalFoodFanDined on 9/15/2014If I could give our experience 6 stars; I would. Our waitress was above and beyond wonderful. Food amazing. We felt like royalty. We went for our anniversary and the experience was so much more than I could have asked for. I requested the Filet and my husband ordered salmon. Both were over the top and the wine was impeccable. We can't wait to come back with friends and family. They are going to love this place as much as we do.Special Features:
- great, but crowdedflashDined on 9/13/2014delicious food. too crowded. tables too close togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hinghamVIPDined on 9/6/2014The woman greeting guests at the door was totally inefficient. One couple/group was ahead of us but then we waited and waited. Nothing. She said nothing about the apparent problem. Finally two other girls returned that had taken the previous guests to their tables, I presume, and she gave them the menus and asked us to follow. Either there is a general lack of training or lack of trained personnel to show guests to their tables. Either way they need to improve before I would return.
- meagainVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great. Of note, the restaurant was sufficiently quiet to allow conversation, unlike many restaurants today.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner for Mom!TheHungryGingerDined on 8/29/2014Love that so many of their fruits and vegetables come from their garden outback or from other local farms. Everything we had was delicious! Beet salad and kale salad were both great, caprese ravioli with chicken on top, salmon, haddock, swordfish, carrot cake. Can't go wrong with anything you pick from their menu.Special Features:
- Great local night outrevbetsyDined on 8/27/2014We were invited for dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern by friends, and had not noticed it before, despite living close by, and driving past it many times. It sits discreetly back from the road, and resembles many of the colonial era homes nearby. We will not miss it again! It has nicely updated the interior, while maintaining charming colonial features. The food was excellent, along with a decent selection of wine and beer. The haddock in potato crust over corn/bacon chowder was especially good. Service was also good - friendly, knowledgeable waiter. Perhaps because it was busy, the service was on the slower side, but we were not in a hurry, so it was not a problem. We expect to be regulars here in the future, and to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousSLJ1Dined on 8/27/2014I try to visit once a quarter. I'm in a bit of a rut with my selection - the 6 oz filet is just too good. However switch up the salads, apps, sides and desserts and it's always a treat. Took a group with me and it was a great meal for all. Fish, meat everyone was happy.Special Features:
- The oak never failsDateniteDined on 8/23/2014Such consistently great simple food. We love eating on the tavern side as it is much more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Kellielc7VIPDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I were out running errands and saw this on Opentable and thought we would try it...so happy we did! The restaurant decor is adorable and welcoming and the food was great! Next time we are out around the Braintree area we will look forward to stopping here again.Special Features: