Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: 7817498200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (89)neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (54)romantic (49)good for groups (46)great for outdoor dining (38)vibrant bar scene (32)notable wine list (28)great for lunch (25)great for brunch (24)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- Great local night outrevbetsyDined on 8/27/2014We were invited for dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern by friends, and had not noticed it before, despite living close by, and driving past it many times. It sits discreetly back from the road, and resembles many of the colonial era homes nearby. We will not miss it again! It has nicely updated the interior, while maintaining charming colonial features. The food was excellent, along with a decent selection of wine and beer. The haddock in potato crust over corn/bacon chowder was especially good. Service was also good - friendly, knowledgeable waiter. Perhaps because it was busy, the service was on the slower side, but we were not in a hurry, so it was not a problem. We expect to be regulars here in the future, and to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/27/2014I try to visit once a quarter. I'm in a bit of a rut with my selection - the 6 oz filet is just too good. However switch up the salads, apps, sides and desserts and it's always a treat. Took a group with me and it was a great meal for all. Fish, meat everyone was happy.Special Features:
- The oak never failsDateniteDined on 8/23/2014Such consistently great simple food. We love eating on the tavern side as it is much more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Kellielc7VIPDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I were out running errands and saw this on Opentable and thought we would try it...so happy we did! The restaurant decor is adorable and welcoming and the food was great! Next time we are out around the Braintree area we will look forward to stopping here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I celebrated his 30th birthday at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. We had a wonderful time. The atmosphere is nice, yet relaxing. The food was delicious, if unfortunately a bit cold. Overall we had a great time and are sure to return again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I loved the age and character of the building which is primary star of the show. The food was decent and if I am honest I would admit that I was probably expecting it to be slightly better for the price. However, the drink menu is impressive, the waitstaff is highly attentive and valet is available if you want it. I would like to go back to try some other menu offerings.Special Features:
- Noisy!Putt2winDined on 8/16/2014Nice ambience, but far too noisy on a Sat eve to really enjoy. Food quality was good but was served only 'warm' , not hot, to all 4 dining companions. We all agreed the quality was very good but should have been served hotter. We let the waitress know, and she informed the kitchen staff. We did not want to send our meals back as it would be disruptive to the evening. I would try this nice dining venue at another time as the selections on the menu looked excellent. The noise level was just too high to really enjoy. We will try it again mid-week and hope for the best.Special Features:
- Great foodScorpio27Dined on 8/16/2014Dined early (6 PM) on a Saturday night. By 6:30, it was a full house, but the dining room was not loud. Crab dip appetizer was very rich & filling. Calamari was lightly batter and crispy, not chewy. We had the dry aged sirloin and porterhouse steak. Both dishes were cooked to order and the beef was very good quality. The peanut butter/chocolate cheesecake was also very rich & filling. The special request for a birthday candle in the dessert was honored. All in all, a very fine dining experience for a romantic birthday dinner with my girlfriend. Would dine here again for special occasions.Special Features:
- Definitely Visiting AgainCStickDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I enjoyed our first dinner at the Scarlet Oak Tavern this past Friday night. We were seated after a short wait, and greeted by our server quickly. As it was our first visit to this establishment our server brought over complimentary champagne toasts. The menu offered great offerings from appetizers to entrees. Both of our meals (6 oz. filet and 20 oz. bone-in rib-eye steaks) were cooked perfectly to order. They had great natural flavor and house seasoning that was complimentary, not over bearing. The side dishes were equally as delicious. The meal, ambiance, and the service provided for a fantastic dining experience that we won't forget. We will definitely be going back!!Special Features:
- Gorgeous patio diningjdj12Dined on 8/8/2014Service was wonderful, location delightful, and the kale salad with grilled peaches was delicious. We will definitely be back. Loved it.Special Features:
- Dennis Birthday DinnerMichelleDined on 8/7/2014Food and Wine was great! Service was good as the waitress had a large party to serve serve.Special Features:
- Good food, nice environmentjustmeDined on 8/4/2014The menu is not broad, but the food was very good, and there were sufficient choices so that nobody would be without something that they would like. It is a lovely place. The waiter was a nice young man.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceJunel52Dined on 8/1/2014It was our first time, a new place for our Anniversary dinner. Food was wonderful, service was great. A great place for steak ! A very pretty and comfortable place! Loved it and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Food was delicious, as always. Server was very knowledgeable. Our reservation was 6:00 and we were out of there by 7:30 so we did not stay too long. We're frequent diners at the Scarlett and that was the first time we encountered that.Special Features:
- Food was Almost ExcellentCantabrigiaDined on 7/30/2014We had the brunello. It was a special occasion. The surprise appetizer - a mushroom risotto - was amazing. The bread was amazing. The clam chowder was amazing. The entrees were almost good. The ravioli sauce was a little too winey, and the lobster risotto was a little too fishy. The deserts were acceptable, but after the advert of "we have our own pastry chef" it just wasn't wow (carrot cake and pb cheesecake). Not bad, just not incredible. The service was nice, but on the slow side. This place is awesome overall. Quaint, homey, elegant. I love going there. But the food was a notch below trattoria San Pietro for example. But the surprise appetizer was incredible. Maybe they should let chef play more like that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous every timeLuvgoodfoodDined on 7/29/2014The food at Scarlett Oak Tavern is always very very good. We have been many times with other couples for lunch and dinner and everyone has walked away extremely pleased. Their beet salad was outstanding the other night. Ambience, lovely service and great food all contribute to a wonderful dining experience. We go during the week when it's not so busySpecial Features:
- DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014My only complaint about the restaurant we had reservations for 5:45 - 6:00pm .... I arrived timely and we were given a small table in a corner by the greeting stand right by the door and the stairway .... Table was so small barely had room for 2 dinner plates and the appetizer ... not good ... Meal was outstanding Fillet Mignon for myself and date was done perfectly and we both raved about the food .... Restaurant seems to be a little loud I assume that is because it is an older buildingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Hits and a MisswineanddineDined on 7/26/2014Who ever heard of grilled cabbage? It became an unusual and delicious salad special during our dinner for 6. The three men - meat eaters all - loved their choices: meatloaf, hanger steak and sirloin steak. The only slight miss was the scallop and lobster risotto. The scallops were well prepared, the lobster was generous, but oddly, the risotto was undercooked and had too many flavors going on which overwhelmed the delicate seafood. The décor is lovely New England without being overdone. Even the baked goat cheese appetizer was unusual with a roasted salsa topping off the dish. We were taste testing the restaurant for a future wedding rehearsal dinner and we are very happy with our choice.Special Features:
- My kind of placeKermudjionDined on 7/25/2014Great menu, reasonably priced; excellent service. This is one of the best on the South Shore.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Dpat38VIPDined on 7/21/2014Wonderful evening and dinner in a quaint old time New England atmosphere. Entire staff is incredibly talented and friendly. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Brunch is SO GOOD!!Foodlover2VIPDined on 7/20/2014We enjoy it every time we come on a Sunday afternoon. The pancakes are out of this world!!Special Features:
- Wonderful ReunionmrgimmeeDined on 7/16/2014Had a fine experience at lunch. Brought a visitor from California and were joined by our two local children. Excellent food, service and environment. All were quite pleased and well fed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty oysters!dineoutDined on 7/15/2014It was $! oyster night but, the oysters were extremely salty with shell bits, like they had not been cleaned properly. The portions were vey small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smoke Gets in Your EyesTiredMomDined on 7/12/2014My husband an I got a chance to leave our two kids with family and go out for a late dinner. Husband got the steak tips rare and chose the mushroom quinoa and chorizo corn bread as his sides. He said it was delicious, even raved about the quinoa. Meat was done exactly as ordered. He also had the Scarlet Oak IPA, and was very satisfied with his choice. I ordered the hangar steak frites, which came with a bone marrow compound butter. It was indescribably delicious. The fries had a rosemary truffle seasoning which was not overpowering. Creme Brulee for dessert! Our only complaint was the tiki-torches around the patio gave off a lovely light but also a lot of smoke. We didn't linger due to fumes. Overall, lovely evening. Worth the $$$Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible MusicDisappointedVIPDined on 7/12/2014Complained to manage. Speaker system outdated. Choice of music, inappropriate, way too loud. Manager did nothing. Other people also complained. Spoiled the ambianceSpecial Features:
- gamemavenDined on 7/9/2014Met with another couple for dinner. Took an outside table for cocktails, but moved inside for dinner because of the noise of rush hour traffic on Rt.228, only 30 feet away. That was the only negative. The hostesses were very welcoming and accommodating and our waiter was a star: prompt, courteous, and knowledgeable. We all enjoyed our meal selections. My choice, seared tuna with the chef's award-winning "10K" sauce, was outstanding.Special Features:
- gemkaseltDined on 7/5/2014We really enjoyed our dinner here! We will be back!Special Features:
- GreatRichDined on 7/4/2014Great food and service? Aps are great. Been menny timesSpecial Features:
- Consistently very goodsnicks99Dined on 6/29/2014We go to this restaurant regularly for special occasions, and the food, service and ambience are always very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/28/2014Great food and wine. Nice atmosphere. Service could be improved on. We've been to several great places where the service is top notch. The food here is excellent and worth the money but the service is below average for an upscale establishment. Not in any hurry to return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Nice !Cleo40Dined on 6/28/2014Seated promptly thanks to OpenTable, food and service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really nice, but a little noisy.MickeyDeeDined on 6/26/2014Excellent food, a little pricey, but worth it. Excellent service and ambiance. Because it's very popular, it was crowded and a little noisy. It wouldn't stop me from highly recommending this restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Service and FoodDavidDined on 6/25/2014Seated right away, very thorough and attentive service. Food was cooked perfectly and arrived hot. Steaks were amazing. Dessert too. Highly recommend, will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Midweek lunchPleasedHinghamiteDined on 6/25/2014A group of five of us ate lunch at the Scarlet Oak Tavern midweek. My grilled chicken and apple salad was delicious! The service was a bit slow to start but ended on a strong note. We all loved the serene woodland view. The prices were reasonable. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- WanderbirdDined on 6/21/2014Wonderful service and good food made up for tables being too close together and the noise and energy more than we enjoy. A very nice, wide open bar area as you enter and the outdoor dining is quite nice although you are facing a busy Main Street.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDrdlwDined on 6/20/2014Third time to visit. First two times were very good but one year later found the food over cooked and not worth the money. Staff was courteous. Location is great. Sat outside and enjoyed the relaxed ambiance.
- Nice summer eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014Very happy with Brandon's service and terrific food. Unhappy with valet parking- noticed deep scratches on door next morningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!barbVIPDined on 6/19/2014We are summer residents of Hull and so come to the restaurant lots in the summer months……..and it never fails to disappoint! Our waitress was terrific and our food was too. You even had gluten free rolls on request! Who knew? My one tiny suggestion was, although delicious, the lobster and scallop risotto could have had a few more pieces of lobster! My husband's bone in rib eye was out of this world and cooked perfectly. Great place!I would recommend this to a friend.
- GRACEDined on 6/17/2014Although flavorful, the 3 of us dining were not impressed by the size of the portions for the cost. One diner thought that, perhaps, crab was used instead of lobster in the scallop & lobster risotto when she found a piece of cartilidge. Our server was highly efficient, friendly, and accomodating. We were a bit put off that our bread plates and glasses were swooped up, and found that action to make us feel "rushed". She explained that clearing things immediately was how they were trained. We wanted to relax and savor our dinner, have a private conversation, and celebrate our friend's birthday. We've been to Scarlet Oak several times, and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Njk10NJK10Dined on 6/15/2014Perfect every time... Our 'go to' place!!! Never disappoints us... Food or atmosphere!!Special Features: