Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: 7817498200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (82)fit for foodies (64)neighborhood gem (59)good for groups (46)romantic (40)vibrant bar scene (37)great for outdoor dining (30)great for brunch (24)great for lunch (23)notable wine list (22)hot spot (17)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (3)late-night find (3)Show More
- Loved It!RobbinVIPDined on 10/12/2014What a great spot. Excellent decor and ambiance and great food! I cannot wait to come back. Had the seafood platter (individual size) and it was just the right amount of food. I made that my entree as we had a late lunch. The chicken I was told was delicious too so we were both very happy with our first experience. We are down the road right now and look forward to coming back again real soon!Special Features:
- Nice Sunday brunchTouchbaseVIPDined on 10/12/2014Excellent service and all seven at our table were happy with our selections - 4 of us ordered off of the brunch menu, and 3 ordered lunch. Food was very good and it was a nice atmosphere for a mixed generation party.Special Features:
- Comfortable ClassicPlymouthTravelers2Dined on 10/9/2014We keep coming back to the Scarlet Oak Tavern for its dependably delicious cuisine and comfortable ambience. This visit my husband ordered a Sirloin Steak with two sides, Mashed Potatoes and Fresh Green Beans and I ordered one of the specials, the Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin with Collard Greens in a Balsamic Reduction Sauce and the Spring Onion and Goat Cheese Flan. It was to die for. I want the flan recipe! We cleaned our plates. Dessert was Noni's home-made Chocolate Chunk Mocha Ice Cream. Service was perfect - attentive but not obtrusive. On a Thursday night the parking lot filled, the restaurant lively but not too loud, just enough background noise that in our comfortable booth we could talk and have privacy. We had a lovely evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantKEGMADined on 10/4/2014We have gone to Scarlet Oak Tavern several times over the last couple of years and we are never disappointed. The food is spectacular and their service is outstanding. A portion of our meal was forgotten when our dinner was served and not only did the waitress apologize several times, the manager came over to apologize and as we were walking out, she apologized to us again. The place was so busy on a Saturday night, I was surprised the manager would remember us. I just don't think you get their level of service at most places any more. We love their steak entrees and their carrot cake is the absolute best!!!!Special Features:
- We had a great timekathleenDined on 10/4/2014Everything was fabulous. Food was excellent and service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Place!GregBostonDined on 10/3/2014This is one of my favorite restaurants. They have valet parking, the inside is amazing, the bar is great, the dining rooms are perfect and the food is always perfect. This time we went our waitress was hilarious. She joined in on our antics and it made such a wonderful evening for all of us. Great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and family friendlyBCarey3Dined on 10/2/2014Had a great birthday dinner for my wife and the kids enjoyed it too. Food was excellent - tuna tartare app and lobster risotto were standoutsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/30/2014Our greeting at the front desk was wonderful. The waitress was lovely and very attentive. There was a group of business men who were loud, obnoxious and using profanity. Unfortunately they sat very close to us. It reached the point that my husband spoke to them concerning their language. Otherwise it would have been a delightful dining out experience.Special Features:
- OutstandingfavoriteplacesDined on 9/28/2014Every meal should include the Scarlet Oak Tavern salad! Everything was delicious (especially the clam chowder), and definitely we will return. The service was great too. It was a celebration, and our server presented us with a complimentary glass of champagne!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dee61Dined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious! Would definitely go back to try something else on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent spot south of bostonadaminbostonDined on 9/22/2014Had dinner with family and greatly enjoyed everything. Our waitress (Caitrion I think is how she spelled it?) was engaging and was able to give her personal recommendations as to the menu choices. Really liked the haddock, which is one of their regular main dishes. The layout of the restaurant is interesting as it's in a 1700s era house, with the bar in the center and dining areas spread out around a very wide open layout. Because of this it's definitely not a "quiet" setting, but the noise level was one that added to the ambiance without detracting from our conversations.Special Features:
- robbieDined on 9/21/2014Overall it was a good experience. steak was a little under cooked. service and ambiance were greatSpecial Features:
- Great Steaks!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014Not disappointed by the sirloin steak! Very good quality for the price!Special Features:
- great, but crowdedflashDined on 9/13/2014delicious food. too crowded. tables too close togetherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hinghamVIPDined on 9/6/2014The woman greeting guests at the door was totally inefficient. One couple/group was ahead of us but then we waited and waited. Nothing. She said nothing about the apparent problem. Finally two other girls returned that had taken the previous guests to their tables, I presume, and she gave them the menus and asked us to follow. Either there is a general lack of training or lack of trained personnel to show guests to their tables. Either way they need to improve before I would return.
- meagainVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great. Of note, the restaurant was sufficiently quiet to allow conversation, unlike many restaurants today.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner for Mom!TheHungryGingerDined on 8/29/2014Love that so many of their fruits and vegetables come from their garden outback or from other local farms. Everything we had was delicious! Beet salad and kale salad were both great, caprese ravioli with chicken on top, salmon, haddock, swordfish, carrot cake. Can't go wrong with anything you pick from their menu.Special Features:
- Great local night outrevbetsyDined on 8/27/2014We were invited for dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern by friends, and had not noticed it before, despite living close by, and driving past it many times. It sits discreetly back from the road, and resembles many of the colonial era homes nearby. We will not miss it again! It has nicely updated the interior, while maintaining charming colonial features. The food was excellent, along with a decent selection of wine and beer. The haddock in potato crust over corn/bacon chowder was especially good. Service was also good - friendly, knowledgeable waiter. Perhaps because it was busy, the service was on the slower side, but we were not in a hurry, so it was not a problem. We expect to be regulars here in the future, and to recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently deliciousSLJ1Dined on 8/27/2014I try to visit once a quarter. I'm in a bit of a rut with my selection - the 6 oz filet is just too good. However switch up the salads, apps, sides and desserts and it's always a treat. Took a group with me and it was a great meal for all. Fish, meat everyone was happy.Special Features:
- The oak never failsDateniteDined on 8/23/2014Such consistently great simple food. We love eating on the tavern side as it is much more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!Kellielc7VIPDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I were out running errands and saw this on Opentable and thought we would try it...so happy we did! The restaurant decor is adorable and welcoming and the food was great! Next time we are out around the Braintree area we will look forward to stopping here again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014My husband and I celebrated his 30th birthday at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. We had a wonderful time. The atmosphere is nice, yet relaxing. The food was delicious, if unfortunately a bit cold. Overall we had a great time and are sure to return again in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SettingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I loved the age and character of the building which is primary star of the show. The food was decent and if I am honest I would admit that I was probably expecting it to be slightly better for the price. However, the drink menu is impressive, the waitstaff is highly attentive and valet is available if you want it. I would like to go back to try some other menu offerings.Special Features:
- Noisy!Putt2winDined on 8/16/2014Nice ambience, but far too noisy on a Sat eve to really enjoy. Food quality was good but was served only 'warm' , not hot, to all 4 dining companions. We all agreed the quality was very good but should have been served hotter. We let the waitress know, and she informed the kitchen staff. We did not want to send our meals back as it would be disruptive to the evening. I would try this nice dining venue at another time as the selections on the menu looked excellent. The noise level was just too high to really enjoy. We will try it again mid-week and hope for the best.Special Features:
- Great foodScorpio27Dined on 8/16/2014Dined early (6 PM) on a Saturday night. By 6:30, it was a full house, but the dining room was not loud. Crab dip appetizer was very rich & filling. Calamari was lightly batter and crispy, not chewy. We had the dry aged sirloin and porterhouse steak. Both dishes were cooked to order and the beef was very good quality. The peanut butter/chocolate cheesecake was also very rich & filling. The special request for a birthday candle in the dessert was honored. All in all, a very fine dining experience for a romantic birthday dinner with my girlfriend. Would dine here again for special occasions.Special Features:
- Definitely Visiting AgainCStickDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I enjoyed our first dinner at the Scarlet Oak Tavern this past Friday night. We were seated after a short wait, and greeted by our server quickly. As it was our first visit to this establishment our server brought over complimentary champagne toasts. The menu offered great offerings from appetizers to entrees. Both of our meals (6 oz. filet and 20 oz. bone-in rib-eye steaks) were cooked perfectly to order. They had great natural flavor and house seasoning that was complimentary, not over bearing. The side dishes were equally as delicious. The meal, ambiance, and the service provided for a fantastic dining experience that we won't forget. We will definitely be going back!!Special Features:
- Gorgeous patio diningjdj12Dined on 8/8/2014Service was wonderful, location delightful, and the kale salad with grilled peaches was delicious. We will definitely be back. Loved it.Special Features:
- Dennis Birthday DinnerMichelleDined on 8/7/2014Food and Wine was great! Service was good as the waitress had a large party to serve serve.Special Features:
- Good food, nice environmentjustmeDined on 8/4/2014The menu is not broad, but the food was very good, and there were sufficient choices so that nobody would be without something that they would like. It is a lovely place. The waiter was a nice young man.Special Features:
- Great food, great serviceJunel52Dined on 8/1/2014It was our first time, a new place for our Anniversary dinner. Food was wonderful, service was great. A great place for steak ! A very pretty and comfortable place! Loved it and can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/1/2014Food was delicious, as always. Server was very knowledgeable. Our reservation was 6:00 and we were out of there by 7:30 so we did not stay too long. We're frequent diners at the Scarlett and that was the first time we encountered that.Special Features:
- Food was Almost ExcellentCantabrigiaDined on 7/30/2014We had the brunello. It was a special occasion. The surprise appetizer - a mushroom risotto - was amazing. The bread was amazing. The clam chowder was amazing. The entrees were almost good. The ravioli sauce was a little too winey, and the lobster risotto was a little too fishy. The deserts were acceptable, but after the advert of "we have our own pastry chef" it just wasn't wow (carrot cake and pb cheesecake). Not bad, just not incredible. The service was nice, but on the slow side. This place is awesome overall. Quaint, homey, elegant. I love going there. But the food was a notch below trattoria San Pietro for example. But the surprise appetizer was incredible. Maybe they should let chef play more like that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous every timeLuvgoodfoodDined on 7/29/2014The food at Scarlett Oak Tavern is always very very good. We have been many times with other couples for lunch and dinner and everyone has walked away extremely pleased. Their beet salad was outstanding the other night. Ambience, lovely service and great food all contribute to a wonderful dining experience. We go during the week when it's not so busySpecial Features:
- DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014My only complaint about the restaurant we had reservations for 5:45 - 6:00pm .... I arrived timely and we were given a small table in a corner by the greeting stand right by the door and the stairway .... Table was so small barely had room for 2 dinner plates and the appetizer ... not good ... Meal was outstanding Fillet Mignon for myself and date was done perfectly and we both raved about the food .... Restaurant seems to be a little loud I assume that is because it is an older buildingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Hits and a MisswineanddineDined on 7/26/2014Who ever heard of grilled cabbage? It became an unusual and delicious salad special during our dinner for 6. The three men - meat eaters all - loved their choices: meatloaf, hanger steak and sirloin steak. The only slight miss was the scallop and lobster risotto. The scallops were well prepared, the lobster was generous, but oddly, the risotto was undercooked and had too many flavors going on which overwhelmed the delicate seafood. The décor is lovely New England without being overdone. Even the baked goat cheese appetizer was unusual with a roasted salsa topping off the dish. We were taste testing the restaurant for a future wedding rehearsal dinner and we are very happy with our choice.Special Features:
- My kind of placeKermudjionDined on 7/25/2014Great menu, reasonably priced; excellent service. This is one of the best on the South Shore.Special Features:
- Outstanding!Dpat38VIPDined on 7/21/2014Wonderful evening and dinner in a quaint old time New England atmosphere. Entire staff is incredibly talented and friendly. Cannot wait to go back!Special Features:
- Brunch is SO GOOD!!Foodlover2VIPDined on 7/20/2014We enjoy it every time we come on a Sunday afternoon. The pancakes are out of this world!!Special Features:
- Wonderful ReunionmrgimmeeDined on 7/16/2014Had a fine experience at lunch. Brought a visitor from California and were joined by our two local children. Excellent food, service and environment. All were quite pleased and well fed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty oysters!dineoutDined on 7/15/2014It was $! oyster night but, the oysters were extremely salty with shell bits, like they had not been cleaned properly. The portions were vey small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.