Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: (781) 749-8200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (88)fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (64)good for groups (58)vibrant bar scene (46)romantic (33)great for lunch (29)hot spot (29)great for brunch (25)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (18)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Njk10NJK10Dined on 6/15/2014Perfect every time... Our 'go to' place!!! Never disappoints us... Food or atmosphere!!Special Features:
- Love this place!JamieVIPDined on 6/15/2014By far my favorite restaurant in Hingham (and there are some great ones)! Whether it is a formal meal in the dining room, drinks at the bar, or brunch on the outdoor patio, I have enjoyed this place every time i have visited. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- okayalexDined on 6/15/2014We made reservations but we were seated at a table in the bar room. This was not the king of dining experience we had in mind. Two of us enjoyed our meals, one person had food undercooked. We had a nice server. Based on the seating I would hesitate to go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Dined here more than once. Very nice restaurant in good neighborhood. Food is well presented and tasty (just stay away from bread pudding for desert). Service is very good. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulSassyb613Dined on 6/14/2014Great food! Great service! Wonderful way to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindWalkersDined on 6/14/2014This restaurant has many different styles. The huge bar with the pizza oven is wonderful for a casual lunch or dinner. The pub side has great atmosphere and the dining room is quite nice for a special occasion. Upstairs has a beautiful function room that is small but is quite a find. The food is very good and quite varied. Service is good and the wait staff is very attentive and accommodates every reasonable need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- peppiDined on 6/13/2014My mushroom fontina cheese ravioli tasted more like a sauerkraut onion stuffed ravioli.i can't eat onions & menu description said nothing about them. There were even little fried onions on top. We have been several times to this restaurant though and generally love the place for drinks, atmosphere, food & service. Beautiful interior.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/12/2014We just moved into town and tried the Scarlet Oak to celebrate our anniversary. My wife loves history and we were very pleased. I don't usually eat red meat but tried the steak and it far exceeded my expectations. The deserts were outstanding.Special Features:
- More than expectedcambridge4VIPDined on 6/6/2014We've dined at Scarlet Oak on many occasions, but my brothers had not. We all went recently to celebrate my son's birthday. The food was great as usual. This time, we had Rachel as our server. She made the occasion seem more like a celebration than dinner. She gave us space, was always there, but not hovering. She was spot on with her recommendations. She made sure that my son's dessert was accompanied by (literally) a song and dance. From the tuna tartare to the goat cheese dip to my Pittsburgh rare filet mignon, it was all outstanding.Special Features:
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/30/2014Food was extremely tasty. Service was wonderful. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as always!MrsvenaVIPDined on 5/28/2014We tend to try alot of different restaurants, but Scarlet Oak, in my opinion, is one of the few consistently wonderful choices on the South Shore. We have celebrated many special occassions here, including our wedding reception! I cant say enough for the staff, the management, and the chefs! Plus, with their own garden and a seasonally changing menu that always includes a few favorites, you can't go wrong. Ps- they have the best steaks we've had anywhere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerMalpecDined on 5/27/2014Nice atmosphere. Seated in a quiet secluded area until they brought in a party of 9 businessmen who had been at the bar and there went all the atmosphere. Food and service was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Our favoritesJulieDelleDined on 5/25/2014This restaurant never disappoints. Ever. Even if you don't get the best waitress (personality wise) she/he is still professional and prompt. Food is spot on. Sides are amazing. Creativity on classic comfort foods is really great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful surprise!TishDined on 5/24/2014My friend Joyce and I went to the Scarlet Tavern, expecting to feel uncomfortable because we weren't dressed up. Not only was it extremely comfortable, it was incredibly warm and inviting. I had the special (Sea Bass) which was delectable and Joyce had the steak with fries (rosemary). Unbelievably delicious. Worth every penny. And the service was superb...friendly, attentive and very caring. Thank you for a wonderful evening. We will definitely tell our friends and return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joe B.Jb9868Dined on 5/22/2014We have been here only twice but we should come back more often. Both times the service was professional and well informed. The food was very well presented and prepared and the ambience was a step above what a neighborhood establishment would be. We will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected pleasureTechgirlVIPDined on 5/17/2014Not in our usual travels, but this came up in a search while we were driving in an unfamiliar neighborhood and fending off starvation. What we discovered was far more then just a place to eat, but a pleasant oasis with very good food, a soothing ambiance, good suburban people watching, and a welcoming vibe.Special Features:
- Creative menukotooleVIPDined on 5/17/2014Love this place. Have come several times and never been disappointed. Our party of 4 each ordered a different entree from the menu and ALL were excellent. The swordfish, the salmon, the hanger steak and the cod were all outstanding and the choice of sides was quite creative....loved the asparagus and peas! Unfortunately, no room for dessert!Special Features:
- Bring Back Linen TableclothsKelseaJoeDined on 5/17/2014The checkered tablecloths (with brown paper covers) was terrible! Bring back the former table "dressings". Great restaurant, great food, and great service.....but when you charge $20 for meatloaf you deserve linen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014One small issue this time, steak a little to rare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local Favorite!LeeLeeVIPDined on 5/16/2014LOVE Scarlet Oak Tavern. It can get a bit loud, but the room is warm and comfortable and the service excellent. The food and cocktails are perfectly prepared.Special Features:
- A great dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/16/2014We were thrilled with the dinner at Scarlet Oak Tavern. The food was, as always, the best around. The waiter was knowledgable, informative and helpful. One of our party was looking forward to the tuna and the waiter told her that the chef had changed the way it was served including the sauce. He then said that they could mke it the old way if desired. She was thrilled as it is wonderful and she would have been most disapointed to be served somthing she was not expecting. Of course reading the menu would have helped!Special Features:
- Ladies LunchPat2776Dined on 5/13/2014Our group of six women celebrating retirement couldn'have been happier with our choice of restaurant. The Scarlett Oak Tavern did not disappoint on any level.Looking forward to my next visit there.Special Features:
- Mothers Day BrunchFoodlover2VIPDined on 5/11/2014I was looking forward to the usual brunch menu but they only had a handful of "brunch" items to choose from & the dinner menu. I was disappointed. The service was slow but I'm sure it was due to the busy Mothers Day crowd.Special Features:
- OkayKatemiDined on 5/3/2014On our second visit we brought friends who had never been. It was Saturday night, very busy and at 6:30 reservation times were already out of control. There is a very young, inexperienced staff at the front desk who were not handling things well. After 20 minutes, one of us checked in, and was politely pushed off. When my husband checked 10 minutes later he made sure his displeasure registered more than a push off response. The manager came over, very apologetic, and gave us a round of drinks -- which was fine -- but martinis are meant to be savored while relaxed. Food was good, but extremely small portions for the cost. We were comfortable, ate well, fair service after first fiasco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but wasn't blown awayorfitnessdivaDined on 4/30/2014Had its highs and lows. Service was great but decor is a bit dated in the dining area. The steak was solid but the sides were just OK. I'd likely go back again but its not the first on my listSpecial Features:
- ServicesteveDined on 4/27/2014One of the best servers and she really made the dining experience very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must!!!!PIPERVIPDined on 4/26/2014It was a party of 6. We all ordered different food and drinks and we all finished everything!! I love the vibrant bar!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!MikeDined on 4/26/2014It had been some time since we had been to the restaurant. There was a noticible uptick in both the preparation and presentation of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience!Teach2cookDined on 4/26/2014Went with 5 other family members for my husbands birthday. We all had a great experience. Service was perfect. I only wish they would get rid of the paper on top of the table. In the age of being green, they must cut many trees. Use small table clothes on top and wash them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphere!LLG44Dined on 4/25/2014When you walk into Scarlet Oak tavern you feel like your in an Aspen ski lodge. It's warm and cozy but still stylish. The bar has a big comfy couch which is where we say to eat and watch the Red Sox game. The dining room is nice as well. The food is amazing! A comfort food menu wih bacon wrapped meatloaf as a speciality. Cocktails were so tasty, although the jest was much stronger than the second. My only negative pointers the service. The hostess was not there when we walked in, then arrived and checked her cell phone before attending to us. She was not friendly and not accommodating. We asked if we could see the dining room before deciding to sit in the bar area and this was an extreme annoyance to her. They need a new hostess ASAP!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/23/2014SOT always delivers - drinks and food are always spot on, as well as the service. It's one place we know we can go get a great meal and have service that matches the expectations.
- DisappointedsnoosterVIPDined on 4/22/2014The restaurant was quiet but food was not very good. It was a special lunch and we were all disappointed with the food.
- KaleighDined on 4/20/2014We have enjoyed Easter dinner at Scarlett Oaks the last few years. Great food and service.Special Features:
- I hope it continues to succeed!luvthesouthshoreDined on 4/20/2014Truly a south shore gem! Very nice people who work here and the food and service are great!Special Features:
- Easter brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2014The food was excellent, and though a busy holiday, the service was prompt, thoughtful, and friendly. I will definitely return. I would like to try the beer garden on a warm summer evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful serviceEdconsultVIPDined on 4/18/2014This restaurant is right in our neighborhood-- we could go more often but don't because I honestly think the appetizers and salad are far superior to the main courses, which are ok but nothing special. The our server was wonderful and we do go back a couple of times a year.Special Features:
- AnniversaryBillDined on 4/18/2014My wife and I dined here for our 15h wedding anniversary hoping for a quiet booth;however we were seated in a small room with several large families making it difficult to have a quiet conversation. My steak was underdone and the baked potato side was not delivered with meal. We haves dined here many times before, and had wonderful meals, so this was a disappointment on such a special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was fabulous! A bitreviewerDined on 4/12/2014The food was fabulous! A bit noisy but would return for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Went for an anniversary dinner last weekend. The restaurant was hopping, glad we made a reservation. Sat in the bar to have a drink and app before dinner. The table was ready but we weren't in a hurry- the hostess graciously bumped the table for another 20 min at our request. The drinks were good, although my husband was disappointed his Guinness wasn't in the appropriate glass. Bar pizza app was overdone, but not enough to send back. Dinner was excellent, good service, good wine recommendation. The waitress asked if we were there for a reason and after telling her yes (anniversary) the manager came out a little while later with two servings of an app on special that night (yum!). Not a romantic spot- tables too close, loud; but fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I went to ScarlettOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/4/2014My husband and I went to Scarlett Oak with our 23 year old son, 15 year old daughter and her two friends. There was something on the menu for everyone and the beer and wine offerings appeased my son's and husband's tastes. The food was excellent. My husband and I had the tuna and haddock, respectively, and both were delicious. My son had the lobster roll, which came on challah roll and was overflowing with lobster meat. The girls shared pizzas and Caesar salads, which they loved. The place was quite busy, so service was a little slow, but overall the staff was lovely. We would definitely come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.