Scarlet Oak Tavern
1217 Main Street
Hingham, MA 02043Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scarletoaktavern.com/
- Phone: (781) 749-8200
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm -10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Stephen Sherman
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Upstairs: One flight up from the main dining room and tavern is a 55-person room that was completely renovated in 2007 to create a ten-foot tray ceiling with antique exposed wooden beams and a working fireplace. There is a private bar and lounge area outside the room that can be used as a gathering area before events. In addition, there are two private rooms upstairs with a single table in each room. One of them can accommodate up to eight people, the other up to twelve. The Wine Room: The Wine Room is a 14-person private room that is separated from the main dining room by the Tavern's hand-crafted wine cabinets. Its unique semi-open design creates the perfect amount of privacy without losing the energy from the main dining room. Our chefs and managers are happy to work with you to create a truly unique experience for you.
- Private Party Contact: Management 781-749-8200
A word from Scarlet Oak Tavern
We are located on Hingham's historic Main Street in a 250-year old colonial house that has been thoroughly restored and updated by the award-winning Niemitz Design Group. Our cuisine, led by Executive Chef Stephen Sherman, centers around great steaks and the freshest seafood, although we also offer contemporary versions of classic American comfort food. Our philosophy is that good service is never intimidating service; and that honest, freshly-prepared food can often be more of a luxury than something you can't pronounce.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Scarlet Oak Tavern - Best Restaurants in Hingham ›
Scarlet Oak Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (88)fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (64)good for groups (57)vibrant bar scene (44)romantic (33)great for lunch (29)hot spot (29)great for brunch (26)notable wine list (20)great for outdoor dining (19)kid-friendly (11)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Food was awesome, our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/26/2009Food was awesome, our reservation was ready on time even though it was a busy thanksgiving, waitress was kind and attentive. An overall exceptional dining experience!Special Features:
- i really enjoyed it ...theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/25/2009i really enjoyed it ...the bar was a bit noisy ,,but the dining room was great! , the staff lovely...the decor so pleasant.....I will definatley be back!Special Features:
- Dined at Scarlet Oak on SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2009Dined at Scarlet Oak on Saturday evening. Food was excellent and the service (Dominique) was great. We have been to Scarlet Oak many times and have always enjoyed our dining experience.
- Very warm and cozy ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/17/2009Very warm and cozy ambiance, with plenty of booths and dim lighting. But the food was a let down. The mussels were in a garlic and herbs sauce that wasn't anything to rave about and we didn't even finish them. We were looking forward to our three entrees, but they were all equally unimpressive. I had the haddock on a corn and bacon chowder, but there was little taste. We tried the Osso Bucco, but the pork took second place to the root vegetables. And the New York Sirloin was very chewy and tough to eat. The highlight was dessert - a s'mores plate that made a sweet ending, but left the night still a disappointment. Such a shame...the restaurant is adorable, but the food isn't worth it. We won't return.Special Features:
- enjoyed the night and food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/14/2009enjoyed the night and food. Did feel kind of rushed. We had a party of four and were there for approximaley 2 to 2 1/4 hours. Our reservations were for 6pm.Special Features:
- Goat cheese gnocchi appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/14/2009Goat cheese gnocchi appetizer was delicious, with excellent mushrooms. Very good potato crusted haddock. The Raw bar plate was expensive. Enjoyed the atmosphere, and friendly service.Special Features:
- The atmoshere was warm andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/11/2009The atmoshere was warm and relaxed. The service was friendly and prompt. The menu was varied and interesting which made it difficult to choose. On the waitresses advice, we went the steak route which might have been a mistake on this night. It took three tries to get a medium rare steak!Special Features:
- Dining at the Scarlet OakPatticakeDined on 11/1/2009Dining at the Scarlet Oak was a pleasing evening. It was not crowded and the shark special was excellent. Attentive service, but not overpowering, good wine list and wide range of food choices. We enjoyed it. Not outstanding, but very good. Old tavern atmosphere.Special Features:
- Because this was the eveningBoscobelVIPDined on 10/31/2009Because this was the evening of Halloween, the restaurant was not its usual hectic self. Food,service and ambiance were very good, as is the norm for this fine restaurant.Special Features:
- Had lunch here. BeautifulWabanJaneDined on 10/26/2009Had lunch here. Beautiful historic room, good American bistro food. Quiet at lunchtime, don't know about dinner.
- I have been to the ScarletOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2009I have been to the Scarlet Oak Tavern several times and have always enjoyed the food and ambiance. The table service has always been great as well. One comment I will make is that they do not adhere to reservations as successfully as other restaurants. We had an 8pm reservation for Saturday night and didn't get seated until 8:30. I understand that they can't estimate availability of tables perfectly but that was a bit too long to wait. We would certainly go back again though.
- We normally have a fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2009We normally have a fabulous dining experience at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. Last Saturday's experience was less than stellar. It was a little disappointing that we had been talking it up to our friends and then they were not impressed. Honestly, I think it was too busy for the kitchen and our server to handle. We would usually rate the restaurant outstanding. However, this most recent experience was simply good. Great bartenders and hostesses. Server was good, but went missing a few times. Food was good, but could have been better for us foodies! We'll go back - possibly on a less busy night.Special Features:
- Although the dinner menu wasRonMorseDined on 10/16/2009Although the dinner menu was elegant the line cooks did it no justice. The chef should try his staff's cooking every once in a while to keep it in check. They should coordinate both their online menu with their actual menu and proof read all their different menus to make sure they all say the same thing about a dish. I went specifically for Prime Rib, as noted on the web site menu, only to find they didn’t have it and it wasn't listed on the in-house menus By 9:00pm they started running out of desert menu item's...Special Features:
- having gone to this restaurantdudeVIPDined on 10/11/2009having gone to this restaurant for many years, I have noticed a decline. The last 3 times, service has been sub-par (food come out at different times, apps and entrees are either 2 mins or 40 mins apart, etc) and food has been slipping. At mothers day brunch, the paoched eggs were hard boiled, twice. Last night, the pumpkin ravioli was awful and flavorless. Lack of passion, lack of flavor, a focus on the bar. Go here for a beer and apps. Avoid for a nice meal out.Special Features:
- Scarlet Oak is convenientbeverlyDined on 10/11/2009Scarlet Oak is convenient for me, good food, not particularly creative or gourmet, but good comfort food and you can count on the quality.Special Features:
- The lounge by the bar is aOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2009The lounge by the bar is a great spot for wintertime afternoon drinks and apps. There is a nice fireplace and a TV to watch the game.Special Features:
- Been to the bar several times...GREOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/7/2009Been to the bar several times...GREAT LOBSTER PIZZA....Definitely a very good spot...Special Features:
- We had an excellent lunchJANDKVIPDined on 10/3/2009We had an excellent lunch at the Scarlet on this rainy New England Saturday afternoon. We love the ambiance and our meals were very good. We can't wait to try this gem for dinner some evening.Special Features:
- wow. nothing short of amazing.PJBleakneyDined on 9/26/2009wow. nothing short of amazing. great food, great service. nice to know that it is on the way to see family. definitely will return again!!!Special Features:
- Overall very good. A littleOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2009Overall very good. A little pricey. Great chicken pot pie though! homemade, fresh. And the bread before the meal... delicious (cornbread adds well to the mix.) I have been here before, once for Valentine's Day dinner, and have been pleased each time... only once was I not thrilled with the meal. I believed I ordered the pulled pork BBQ dish and the entire plate was drenched in an over-the-top smoky flavor. Otherwise, I enjoy coming to Scarlet Oak very much, and will come again with friends whether just to sit at the bar or have dinner!Special Features:
- Great food and service! IOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2009Great food and service! I had the Prime Rib which was juicy and very flavorful. My wife had the filet mignon which was tasty but a little bit on the salty side. Do not pass up the Smore tart for dessert!Special Features:
- The food was great. We didn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2009The food was great. We didn't have to wait too long for our table. The noise level was a bit high. They don't have any curtains or much fabric to absorb sound. On a busy night it can be loud.Special Features:
- I have been there many timesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/17/2009I have been there many times and it never fails to impress. It was a special occasion for my girlfriend and myself and we were given the royal treatment. The bar is always lively but not too loud and the food and service speak for themselves. Top notch!!!Special Features:
- This was our first time atOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/15/2009This was our first time at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. It was recommended by co-workers. An excellent find! Perfect place to go before a show at the South Shore Music Service. You can have a reservation for 5pm and they get you out in time for the show. Our waiter Stuart was great!
- second visit . . . much betterReenieDined on 8/8/2009second visit . . . much better than the firat time . . . the crusted haddock is excellent. Chicken Pie . . . now so good . . . not like a typical chicken pie with a good chicken stock cream sauce and moist tender bites of chicken. The trio of ribs, chicken etc was OK not outstanding. I would go again, my husband would not.Special Features:
- This was our fourth visitOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2009This was our fourth visit to this restaurant and quite frankly we were disappointed with the food this time.
- Overall nicely done... CrabOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/26/2009Overall nicely done... Crab dip was very good Attentive Staff although restaraunt was not busy Good Dry Manhattan...Special Features:
- Truly excellent, exceededOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/23/2009Truly excellent, exceeded my expectations. I tried a filet mignon special with a grilled peach stuffed with blue cheese; excellent combination that I would not have thought of. Arugula salad had pistachio nuts and pistachio cream which added to the already great dressing and yellow beets. Had a wonderful service experience.Special Features:
- Great food - a little loudPmbskfDined on 7/18/2009Great food - a little loud to have quiet conversation.
- Very nice menu. Had the crabknowsfoodDined on 7/18/2009Very nice menu. Had the crab dip for an appetizer and the NY Sirloin with blue cheese butter for dipping, garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. Wow, was it delicious. The wife picked a nice red blend that went with the meal real well. It's an easy to get to restaurant right off Rt 3 and the service was excellent too. Dining in Hingham away from the water is just as nice. Give it a shot.Special Features:
- This was about our fifth visit.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/10/2009This was about our fifth visit. Food and service have been consistently good. Had a corner table and the noise level was high, very few soft surfaces in the restaurant to soften the noise.Special Features:
- We loved our dinner at theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/10/2009We loved our dinner at the Scarlet Oak Tavern. Chef Brian Sway delighted us with his offerings which ranged from surf and turf to haddock on a pool of chowder to the grand finale: s'mores chocolate tart. Yum and double yum. We had a cozy booth and a great night!
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/4/2009Our dining experience was quite amazing! Our hats are off the the chef, managers and service! A++ To all the other vegans on the south shore... get excited to hear, with ample notice, the Scarlet Oak is MORE than willing to accomodate your Vegan needs. As Vegans, we all know how hard it is to find a restaurant to craft up a meal that meets our non-animal and non-dairy requirements on the South Shore. When my wife and made the reservation on opentable, we noted we were Vegans. To our surprise, the day of our reservation, the manager actually called us to tell us that Chef is preparing us a vegan meal. He made us a wonderful tasty farro risotto in a basil oil reduction served with a summer vegatable ratatouille. Big Thumbs up!Special Features:
- Restaurant was great! TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2009Restaurant was great! They should not use paper on the table tops. They should use glass tops or something. It takes the formal look out of the restaurant for any occasion.Special Features:
- Service and food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/29/2009Service and food was very good. Only one small glitch --- had a relatively early dinner and ordered one of the speacials (swordfish). Waiter returned --- quickly --- and stated that the they were out of swordfish. A quite night, early dinner and the special was already gone.... otherwise very good.
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2009The food was delicious and the menu was different from the normal brunch fare.Special Features:
- The service was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/22/2009The service was extremely slow. Dinner for two took nearly two hours on a Monday night. The food was okay. Desert, average. I would not go back.
- Our second time at ScarletKarenVIPDined on 6/21/2009Our second time at Scarlet Oak and still more than happy with the experience. Food great, and I would like to single out our waiter, I believe his name was Stuart....fabulous! Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- The food is just not good.TaraDined on 6/21/2009The food is just not good. Not tasty, no attention to detail, bland, unmemorable. Even the bloody Marys were tasteless. The waiter was sweet, but inept. The décor is gorgeous. A real new England vibe. I can't imagine how this place will stand the test of time, sadly.
- We enjoyed the decor- simpleOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/19/2009We enjoyed the decor- simple and not overdone. Everyone in our party enjoyed their food. All the men had a steak entree and each seemed quite happy with their choice. My daughter and I had swordfish which was very good. Our server was friendly and prompt. She forgot the anchovies for my husband's salad but quickly remedied the situation when it was brought to her attention. Ambiance - much too noisy for my taste. At times I felt as though I needed to shout to be heard. Other members of my party also commented about the noise. Great place for a lively conversation- not so much for a quiet, romantic dinner.Special Features: