1 Benvenuto Place
Toronto, ON M4V 2L1Neighborhood:
Midtown / Uptown
FrenchPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scaramoucherestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4169618011
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, French
- Executive Chef: Keith Froggett
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Scaramouche may be rented for private functions. However, we do not have private rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Ian Clark 4169618011
A word from Scaramouche Restaurant
Since its very first review in 1981, when Joanne Kates of The Globe & Mail raved both about the food and the unstinting attention to detail, Scaramouche has gone from strength to strength for over twenty years - no small feat in a world obsessed with trends and novelty. The food reflects chef Keith Froggett’s belief that less is more; that the finest ingredients classically combined result in a purity that transcends fads and fusion. The service is unobtrusive and faultless yet furnished simply, without pretense. The restaurant’s longevity is a testimonial to the pursuit of quality and the gracious welcome one receives at Scaramouche. Twice voted “Toronto’s Top Restaurant” by Gourmet magazine, Scaramouche remains the pre-eminent destination for fine food and excellent wines, the place to be as the sun sets and the lights of the city’s skyline begin to twinkle through the restaurant’s windows. Our goal is to ensure the most gracious of welcomes and quality throughout your visit.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Scaramouche Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Uptown ›
Scaramouche Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (108)scenic view (98)fit for foodies (74)romantic (74)notable wine list (57)neighborhood gem (37)good for groups (17)hot spot (7)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good but has potentialTOeatingDined on 8/26/2014The food is good but it is nothing spectacular... that is to say: if you want a meal with proper execution and reliable flavours, this is the place for you. If you are expecting spectacle and outlandish ingredients-- this is NOT the place for you. The service is friendly but not overbearing. Our server was informed about the menu items (i.e. sourcing) and the history of the restaurant space. It is a romantic spot but can get loud as the space fills up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TorontoDryCanadaDined on 8/26/2014They have the best chef in Toronto, must try their lamb.Special Features:
- scaramouche....splendid as alwayspatmDined on 8/25/2014I have been a loyal customer for 25 years and have never been disappointed. Monday night was no exception! The food was outstanding and more delicious than ever. Our server was attentive and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful!JenKDined on 8/23/2014Fantastic experience. Food was outstanding, along with the service. View is unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as usualReviewerVIPDined on 8/23/2014We had the soup special to start (tomato/lobster bisque with shrimp), really delicious. We shared the king crab appetizer. I had the tuna special, my husband had the lamb - both excellent, of course properly cooked. They also don't skimp on vegetables (something i've found some high end places do). They gave us all the bread we wanted, which was also tasty and very useful to mop up all the yummy sauces. For dessert we had the coconut cream pie and the arctic nectarine. The later was very artistically presented, the former was a big slice of coconut-y white fluff. Both were tasty. We didn't leave feeling stuffed, but later on it hit us that we were actually quite full. Total before tip $230 with 2 glasses of wine.Special Features:
- tastyDined on 8/20/2014Reservations were honoured on time. Seated at a table with an excellent view of the city. Service prompt efficient and professional. Wine, appetizers arrived in a timely and relaxing manner. Main course delicious and hot. Suggestion for dessert was given and enjoyed. Will be back for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014We usually bring family with us and this time we brought our kids. They loved the experience, the food and enjoyed the evening very much. We all had a fabulous time and the food was amazing as always. We always have a great time and wonderful food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hassan MOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014Went here for our Anniversary and loved every aspect of it! From the delicious food to the wonderful ambiance, to our incredibly friendly attendant. Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal During TripRickVIPDined on 8/18/2014We dined the next night at what is rated as Toronto's top restaurant and it was not as good as Scaramouche. The view of downtown was superb, but that was just the start. Our waiter was friendly, helpful and just a nice guy. He did a great job. The Pecorino salad was so good that we asked for tips to make it at home. The steak tartar was prepared to perfection with a little spice and fresh beef. Main courses of lobster and lamb chops were cooked just right and had lots of fun accompaniments. We even had dessert, something we rarely do and chose the chocolate mousse offering. We dined leisurely, never feeling rushed. We will recommend and return when back in Toronto.Special Features:
- Simply exquisite.BrathyDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I had dinner at Scaramouche after our friends highly recommended the restaurant. And what can I say, we were blown away! The food was incredible (try the scallops), the wine was very tasty with a full wine line and the service was very attentive and prompt. If I were to have a complaint, I would say the noise level was a bit too high, we often had to raise our voices to talk to each other across the table.Special Features:
- A TorontoTreasure2downtowndinersDined on 8/15/2014Celebrating both a birthday and an anniversary, we chose Scaramouche for the occasion. Previous experiences there had been excellent, but we had not been there for a couple of years and were wondering whether the restaurant had maintained its excellence. It had! In all of accueil,food, service, view and ambiance, it is still tops. As the evening wore on, the noise level rose, of course. Though packed to capacity, the dining room still allowed us to talk. A rare situation in Toronto's best eating spots. The coconut cream pie is to die for.Special Features:
- A delight for the senses!vic1Dined on 8/12/2014We appreciated the attentive & professional service had on all fronts. From the valet parking on arrival & departure to our final coffee. Our server was fabulous!!! She deserves the highest praise for her very warm, knowledgeable & attentive (without intrusion), service. The food & wine, chosen with the help of out server, was spectacular. For starter we had the warm crab salad, followed by the perfectly cooked, delicious filet mignon & lamb. For dessert we indulged in the gorgeous, light, fresh & OTT yummy Coconut pie, shared. You get what you pay for & it was money well spent. I highly recommend this excellent restaurant to family, friends & any business associates.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/8/2014Took my friends for dinner, was amazed by food and service. Great simple dishes cooked to perfection. The steak tartare was just perfectly balanced and the veal was so tender and deliciousSpecial Features:
- Wonderful experienceLetseatDined on 8/8/2014It was our first visit and though we were 30 minutes late for our reservation due to traffic, at no time during our meal did we feel rushed, in fact from the moment we arrived we felt welcome and valued. Our waiter, Andrew, was as excited about the food we ordered as we were when it arrived. The presentation was interesting and the tastes could only be described as delightful, exciting and delicious. The small touches in each dish were creative and added to the overall experience. Ordering dessert was a challenge, but Andrew said no matter what you order you can't go wrong and he was right. The coconut cream pie, the signature dish, was exquisite as was the chocolate tart.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We're there for our anniversary dinner. It was a good start till the main course. We've ordered their special which was cod fish. Both entree were over cooked. When we told the waitress she thought we're joking and planned to walk away. My husband stopped her and told her that we're serious and she explained that cod is a very delicate fish. We're expecting a lot from such a high end restaurant and it really ruined our night. We've waited for more than 20 minutes for our dessert and we just want to leave. Someone did come to apologize and waived one entree and comp the dessert but we rather have a great meal and leave happy. We had a great meal last time on my husband's birthday and now we're in doubt if we want to go back again.
- Deserving of praiseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary last weekend. We were visiting from Ottawa and always wanted to eat here. It lived up to our expectations. Wonderful in all regards. Very bizarre location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall experienceleteatDined on 7/18/2014Overall we had an amazing time. The food was exquisit. Certainly one of the best place to dine in the city. Unfortunately, our server was very pompous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!SADiner68Dined on 7/18/2014Just fabulous as usual. Outstanding food and service. No complaints at all. It's no wonder they've been around so long...reliable and high-quality with no surprises. Have been to Scaramouche many times and have never been let down. Will be back for sure.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014Food was excellent.....Restaurant is too noisy to make the experience perfect.Special Features:
- SuperbIMG50Dined on 7/16/2014This restaurant never disappoints. It was perfect.Special Features:
- ScaramoucheRiley1983Dined on 7/15/2014Portions were small and I am not a big person. Asparagus and lobster soup was quite bland. Lamb was good but not exceptional and the vegetable melee was bitter. Server kept filling up our wine glasses after every three sips, which was annoying and, for some people, dangerous, as it doesn't allow you to keep tabs on how much you are actually drinking. Felt rushed by the staff. It did not live up to its reputation or its hefty price tag.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014An excellent dining experience. As noted above, food, service and ambiance were outstanding. The server was most helpful; her suggestions were subtle, but knowledgable. Scaramouche has been, and continues to be one of Toronto's finest dining rooms.Special Features:
- AmazingElleBeeDined on 7/12/2014The location is interesting, more of a residential area instead of the middle of the city. Since the building is on a hill it has a wonderful view of Toronto. The food was the most wonderful meal I have ever had. No other restaurant has compared to my meal at Scaramouche, I cannot wait to return!Special Features:
- Not what we expectedrsb2014VIPDined on 7/11/2014Given all of the great reviews we had high expectations. While the food was very good...there was nothing particularly imaginative or inspiring about the food. Flavors were not exceptional...very traditional. The atmosphere is also conservative and a bit stuffy.Special Features:
- WowHappyClientsDined on 7/9/2014The experience was terrific. The staff were very attentive from start to finish while not making us feel rushed in any way. The food was an adventure in flavours. Don't miss the coconut cream pie. We didn't leave room for it but we enjoyed it immensely. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/7/2014Scaramouche is always dependable in the best possible way. The food is great, the service is excellent and it is a wonderful place to celebrate a special occasion.Special Features:
- valet is horrendoussaku75Dined on 7/3/2014Valet treated me horribly. I saw a bunch of parked cars, all backed in and narrowly spaced. There was an empty spot so I took it, backed in no problem. The guy harrasses me, telling me I can't do that, that I will dent the car next to me when I get out. Then he has tells me it is not Scaramouche parking! I asked him, what do you mean it's not Scaramouche parking? He said it's a private lot blah blah blah and reiterated that it is was not Scaramouche parking. And the second valet said the same thing. So when I asked them why those cars were all backed in and closely spaced, they had to answer because they are Scaramouche patrons. No need to lie, I understand I should not have parked my own car. Will not recommend this place.Special Features:
- Delighted with the nightCono88Dined on 6/27/2014I brought my girlfriend here for her birthday on a Friday night. We both enjoy 'fine dining', even though this isn't something we could afford to do every week. Every dish was tremendous, we had the crab and the lobster salad to start (lobster dish was the best of the two but both were delicious), and the veal and scallops for mains. It all was presented beautifully and tasted even better. The service was very attentive, knowledgeable and witty too. They brought out our desert and had my girlfriend's name written in chocolate sauce on the plate wishing her happy birthday, which was a huge surprise given that at no stage did I tell them the name or how to spell it! Turns out they had noticed it written on her birthday card, a lovely touch.Special Features:
- Totally lived up to its reputation!PBIFDined on 6/27/2014All-round excellence, and not QUITE as expensive as we'd thought it might be. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Never Disappointsjad3703Dined on 6/25/2014Yet another wonderful experience where the food, service, and setting are always of the highest quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014For a special occasion, this is a great place. Probably the best lamb that I've ever had. The food was beautiful and the service was personable and lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely DeliciousfinestdinerDined on 6/21/2014Had two starters steak tartare was amazing. Ordered 3 mains to share cuse we couldn't decide on just two meals. Every dish was better then the next. Lobster and Duck dishes truly a must try. Great that you can bring your own wine to dinner.Special Features:
- A real foodies find...vic1Dined on 6/21/2014The terrific service starts with valet parking, & continues throughout the meal. Unpretentious, imaginative, fabulous food! Perfect! Got to have dessert here! Worth every penny. Stunning views of the city. At last I've found a place in Toronto to take guests - without any fear! Top notch!Special Features:
- Good food doesn't make up for restLongtimefoodieDined on 6/20/2014We ate in the dining room NOT the pasta bar. The room was very large, crowded, overly bright, and the tables too close to each other. The host/hotness area was congested and I had to fight my way in just to let them know we had a reservation. The dining room was very noisy and required me to speak rather loudly to be heard which resulted in the elderly people seated one foot away from us to give us dirty looks. The waiter was not ready to take our order right away and we had to wait for him as he left, did something else, then came back. The apps and desserts were great, but the main courses were merely okay--nothing special--not so different from what I make at home when I feel like putting the effort into it.
- Elegant and Consistently Great!AndreLeBeauVIPDined on 6/20/2014Periodically when we have something to celebrate, we come to Scaramouche. We were lucky enough to have a window view table because we had a first seating reservation on Friday. Friday nights are easier to get reservations than Saturday nights and usually less crowded. They had a fantastic Lobster entry with all the work done for you and excellent swordfish. Their wine list is great and our waiter was extremely knowledgeable not only about the food, but the wine as well. An excellent and elegant restaurant....not over the top, but always great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scaramouche in TorontocreeksterDined on 6/18/2014We wanted fine French cuisine while visiting Toronto, and we certainly found it at Scaramouche! The surroundings were impeccable; the wine was quite nice; and the steak tartare and king crab first course pleased my wife and I both. The main courses were absolutely delicious. My dessert was the Valrhone dark chocolate tart which was to die for. The wait staff was attentive without being intrusive, and the view of Toronto was wonderful albeit raining. We shall definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticSNYdinerDined on 6/14/2014Scaramouche was outstanding. I was visiting Toronto for the first time and fortunately was able to get a reservation a few weeks ahead. The food was top notch. I couldn't decide what to get, as everything looked really good. We ended up ordering Lobster Bisque (superb), Steak Tartare (excellent), Scallops (wonderful), and Sea Bass (terrific). If you like coconut cream pie, it's a must here. The only negative about Scaramouche was the service, which was fine, but not at the level I thought it should be for the prices you are paying.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/13/2014Fabulous service, wine list and food. Beautiful atmosphere.Special Features:
- Romantic Evening for TwoFoodies69Dined on 6/7/2014The dining experiece was amazing, serving was outstanding. My husband and I were celebrating our 14th anniversary there. The waiter made the evening very special and helped us with a great wine selection. Thank you for a wonderfuland memorable evening. We will be definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Toronto! Fabulous Experience!!SuppinSuzDined on 6/7/2014Absolutely amazing service (can we give more than 5 stars?) The food was fabulous and presentation impeccable. Appropriately pricey. The view of Toronto was lovely, though I'd like to have been able to see CN Tower better (there was a tree in the way from out table)! I kept humming "Bohemian Rhapsody" in my head (Scaramouche, Scaramouche... do the fandango!) as I watched the servers do the delicate dance of attending to their guests' every need (even before we knew we had that need)!Special Features: