3500 Central SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scalonobhill.com/
- Phone: 5052558781
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Every Day: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday — Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm — 9:00 pm;
Intermezzo: 2:30pm — 5:00 pm; Il Bar Happy Hour 4:00 pm — 7:00 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Garrick Mendoza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon!
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Penny 5052558781
- Entertainment: Live jazz every Tuesday thru Saturday, no cover!
- Special Events: firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Scalo
Located in the heart of Nob Hill on the corner of Carlisle and Central, Scalo offers an atmosphere that is casually elegant and service which is attentive and knowledgeable. Scalo uses locally grown organic produce and offers classic handmade Northern cuisine with a seasonal menu that changes with the harvests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Scalo reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (56)special occasion (55)great for outdoor dining (47)notable wine list (39)romantic (36)good for groups (22)great for lunch (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (15)great for brunch (10)scenic view (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Very enjoyable early dinnerSeniorSantaFeHedonistDined on 10/18/2014We opted to reserve our table at 5 PM as we brought two small children with us for dinner. The service was prompt and although the appetizers were better suited for adult taste, the selection of main courses included plenty of items the children loved! This is one of our favorite restaurants in Albuquerque, that we have always enjoyed for many years, as usual the whole experience was delightful and well priced.Special Features:
- Well pricedCodeDined on 10/11/2014Food quality for price was very good. Lots under $15.00. Wife's dish too fishy tasting, however. Don't order the pasta with the shrimp and scallops. Waiter service was good, but his demeanor wad a person who really didn't enjoy his job. Overall it was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnerChiefPDined on 10/10/2014Went for my birthday from a coworker recommendation. I must say it was delicious food with incredible customer service. Starting with making same day reservations through Open Table online system. We arrived 30 minutes early and seated right away. The waiter was attentive and comped my dessert for my birthday. My desert was a mascarpone maple cheesecake. My son had Nutella semifredo that was also excellent. Our appetizer was the caprices salad followed by a creamy squash soup. The soup was lacking salt but better with croutons. Our main courses included two pasta dishes made fresh and halibut flown in that day. Very rich but delicious meals. Very nice wine selection and freshly made cocktails. Scalo is high on my list to return to again.Special Features:
- Good Italian food in Nob HillSmitchelVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great experience at Scalo. Good food, attentive wait staff and quick service.Special Features:
- Worth more than one visitNobHilldineDined on 10/4/2014It had been a while since I had eaten at Scalo's but finally went back and had great food and great service at a vibrant nob hill restaurant. Got a good recommendation for wine with dinner as well. My daughter and I had pasta and were pleased with the selections. Did not feel rushed and had a pleasant evening before going to Popejoy theater. Appreciated the discount for Popejoy patrons as well - be sure to ask.Special Features:
- A Happy Birthday LunchCaroDined on 10/2/2014Our guests for the birthday party appreciated attentive service, an excellent meal (with a surprise dessert!) and the leisurely patio atmosphere.Special Features:
- BikerguyVIPDined on 9/27/2014The food was outstanding. My wife had the linguine Del Mare and I had a special with linguine and pork bellies ;very very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014As always, Scalo was top-notch. We took my very picky parents there for dinner because we knew it would be great, and we were not disappointed.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningHappyDinerDined on 9/27/2014We went to Scalo for dinner before going to Popejoy for a play. We had a choice of indoor or outdoor seating. We chose outdoor, and enjoyed the evening. Service was excellent, as was the food. The menu had a nice selection, & the specials for the evening expanded on the choices. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu & the wine list, & offered good advice when asked. Portions were generous, but not huge. The seasonal flavored sorbets were outstanding, especially the berry sorbet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ItalianSantaFeAndyDined on 9/26/2014Had a wonderful dinner before seeing a show at Popejoy Hall down the street. Both the sea bass and the lamb chops were expertly prepared. The service was very professional. It was a busy night and the noise level got a bit high, but the delicious food more than made up for it. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Dinner dateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/24/2014Had a dinner date with my wife at Scalos. We both enjoyed it very much from the service, food, and dining environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was great!frelaineDined on 9/21/2014I would recommend planning a very leisurely meal to at this restaurant to thoroughly enjoy the dining experience. We were on a short timeframe. Not a problem, though, because we were served quickly, but would have like to enjoy the ambiance much longer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual elegancemmewsDined on 9/21/2014Choose a culinary masterpiece prepared to perfection; pair it with extraordinary service in an elegant setting that doesn't have a pretentious air and you have Scalos restaurant in Albuquerque.I would recommend this to a friend.
- IZZYDined on 9/20/2014Wife ordered Scalopps special for the night they were very very salty but staff was on it and brought her a new order which was laso very salty. Staff was very nice and took order off bill and gave us a free desert. Short rib is my favortite for dinner and I would highly recommend this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent with one exceptionpipesmokeVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food was extremely spicy and inedible. Everything else was superior.
- As always, Scalo delivers!DrJanVIPDined on 9/19/2014Excellent food, patio has great views of Central and the Nob Hill scene. Service is of course superb, and my wife and I come here often and have never been disappointed. The noise level inside would not rate quiet, but it is quitter than most restaurants. Patio of course is ideal for being able to hear one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showChrisDined on 9/19/2014We had a terrific dinner before going to see Wicked. Food and service - outstanding.Special Features:
- Ups and downsKlamberDined on 9/18/2014I've been looking forward to trying Scalo's for a while now. However, I was rather disappointed by aspects of the restaurant. To be sure, the pasta lived up to its reputation. It had a great bite to it, and the sauce on the chicken alfredo was fantastic. The ravioli in a sage cream sauce was also quite good. However the bread basket was cheap italian bread that I could have bought at the store, and when asked which cheeses were on the piatto di formaggi, the waiter just looked at us blankly. This brings me to my primary complaint: the service. Our waiter was rather brusque and difficult to communicate with, in addition to being generally inattentive. Still, I imagine a different waiter would greatly increase the quality of the experience.Special Features:
- Never FailslocustlawnDined on 9/18/2014Since my husband & I retired in 2001 we have been coming to Albuquerque each year! The food, service & atmosphere at Scalo for a lovely lunch or dinner are always dependable. Prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PorkchopDined on 9/9/2014The dinner and service was excellent as always! One of the best places in Albq.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Taken in to eat as soon as we arrived. Server was polite and informative. No delays between courses. Recommend highly. Excellent food, prepared with creativity.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatDiningoutDined on 9/7/2014I have been coming here for many years and first time I had the brunch. The poached eggs were kinda hard and looks very unappetizing even with the hollandaise sauce all over them. The calamari was good as always. The bread was not the same bread they usually have and it was salty. Very weird tasking. Also, I don't like that they do the automatic 20% tip on the parties of 6 or more. That is tacky for a restaurant to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableABQVPDined on 9/3/2014I had a business dinner at Scalos with 12 people and it was perfect - the right amount of service, comfort and variety. I would go here for non-business too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoteworthyDined on 9/2/2014Our sections was DARK - used manager's flashlight - could not read menu printed in gold-ish color on blackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceAnonreviewerDined on 8/31/2014The wait staff bent over backwards to accommodate numerous requests. Mussels were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very excellent like alwaysGGG1Dined on 8/30/2014We asked to sit outside to enjoy the Nob Hill street scene on a balmy summer evening that included a walk about before beefing seated. Our flowers were ready for the table better to celebrate my wife's B'day. The appetizer was perfect, the wine very good and the entrée excellent! The complementary desert topped off the meal and I even got credit for airline miles using my credit card. Can you expect more?Special Features:
- SilverGypsyDined on 8/16/2014Although the dining room was loud (a local basketball team was having dinner!) and quite warm, the food and wine were very good. The wait staff was very busy and seemed to be understaffed. The jazz club, which is in a separate room, was excellent with fun music and a very live audience. We will definitely return but probably not on a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for a new place to dine?martex52Dined on 8/16/2014We visit Albuquerque often and are always on the lookout for a new place to have supper. Well, we happened upon Scalo and weren't disappointed. Right in the heart of Nob Hill, its layout is intriguing. I liked the split level design in the dining room. I only wish I had gone toward the rear where the bar was located. The entrees were very good, especially the beef tenderloin which I ordered well-done, an order that can be tricky. All in all, my wife and I were very happy with the choice and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- margaritaville74Dined on 8/15/2014ambiance was great, food was good, service needed to be a little more attentive, overall great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- proseccoproseccoDined on 8/15/2014Great food, friendly waiter, not overbearing. Gathered with two friends, a perfect Friday night dinner.Special Features:
- Wedding Anniversary DinnerRMike54Dined on 8/11/2014My wife and I returned to Scalo where we had our wedding two years ago. As always the service and food was first rate. The dining room has a quiet background level where you can easily have a conversation across the table, which is getting harder to find these days. The northern Italian cuisine is first rate and reasonable priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeewilksDined on 8/1/2014Scalo, as always, left us with memories of excellent food in a fine dining atmosphere that was not too uptight. Our kids enjoyed their meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScaloJimLVIPDined on 8/1/2014Dined on a Friday night, very crowded. Food was very good and reasonably priced with good portions. Service was just ok presumably because of the large crowd Would highly recommend as still good after all these yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasant start to a fine dinnerdne99Dined on 7/26/2014Our hostess walked us passed the (empty) table requested in our OpenTable reservation; after questioning it, she replied they had a lot of reservations. When we challenged her logic, she acceded. Thomas, our waiter, was courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tepid ResponseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014We have been going to Scalo for approx 20 years....this was the worst dining experience so far. I requested a table along the front of the restaurant...did not receive it. I know that its not always possible to be seated where you want...there were however at least 4 empty tables available at my requested location. We were not even told why our request was ignored. We were squeezed in between two large parties....totally uncomfortable ! When our orders arrived they were awash in grease...the server was acceptable. Did however have to be reminded time and again to refill the water. As I mentioned above...worst ever...it's been going downhill for the last few visits. We will not return !!!!
- mcc22VIPDined on 7/26/2014I have eaten at Scalos for years, the food has always been perfectly prepared. This time I took friends from New York who love Italian food - it was embarrassing. The pasta was sticky and hard - making our entrees inedible. As always the ambience and service were good - not good enough to make this an enjoyable experience though.
- Filletto - Awesomeswww2Dined on 7/26/2014One of the best steaks ever eaten. Usually prefer seafood over steak, but this steak selection would be hard to beat. Already looking forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoEileenDined on 7/25/2014Never again linguine and claims were so gritty I thought I had a mouth full of sand, the sturgeon was so tough could not even finish eating it.
- Perfect AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We celebrated our 26th anniversary with a lovely dinner and were well taken care of by our waiter Stan. The food and wine were delicious and it made for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had a reservation at 6:15 we did not get seated until 6:40. They said the table we were waiting for was not done yet ,even though they has a lot of other empty tables. We put in our order , got our salads and we waited for more than 45 min and still did not have our main course. We had to leave so we told the manager ,he said he was sorry and would take care of our bill. Not sure what happened I think the server didn't get our order turned in.