3500 Central SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.scalonobhill.com/
- Phone: 5052558781
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Every Day: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday — Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00 pm — 9:00 pm;
Intermezzo: 2:30pm — 5:00 pm; Il Bar Happy Hour 4:00 pm — 7:00 pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Italian
- Executive Chef: Garrick Mendoza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Coming soon!
- Private Party Contact: Natalie Penny 5052558781
- Entertainment: Live jazz every Tuesday thru Saturday, no cover!
- Special Events: email@example.com
A word from Scalo
Located in the heart of Nob Hill on the corner of Carlisle and Central, Scalo offers an atmosphere that is casually elegant and service which is attentive and knowledgeable. Scalo uses locally grown organic produce and offers classic handmade Northern cuisine with a seasonal menu that changes with the harvests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Scalo reviews from OpenTable diners
125 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)special occasion (49)great for outdoor dining (48)fit for foodies (45)notable wine list (41)romantic (28)vibrant bar scene (26)great for lunch (25)good for groups (20)great for brunch (16)hot spot (11)late-night find (10)scenic view (7)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- PorkchopDined on 9/9/2014The dinner and service was excellent as always! One of the best places in Albq.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/8/2014Taken in to eat as soon as we arrived. Server was polite and informative. No delays between courses. Recommend highly. Excellent food, prepared with creativity.Special Features:
- Good, but not greatDiningoutDined on 9/7/2014I have been coming here for many years and first time I had the brunch. The poached eggs were kinda hard and looks very unappetizing even with the hollandaise sauce all over them. The calamari was good as always. The bread was not the same bread they usually have and it was salty. Very weird tasking. Also, I don't like that they do the automatic 20% tip on the parties of 6 or more. That is tacky for a restaurant to do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableABQVPDined on 9/3/2014I had a business dinner at Scalos with 12 people and it was perfect - the right amount of service, comfort and variety. I would go here for non-business too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoteworthyDined on 9/2/2014Our sections was DARK - used manager's flashlight - could not read menu printed in gold-ish color on blackSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceAnonreviewerDined on 8/31/2014The wait staff bent over backwards to accommodate numerous requests. Mussels were fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very excellent like alwaysGGG1Dined on 8/30/2014We asked to sit outside to enjoy the Nob Hill street scene on a balmy summer evening that included a walk about before beefing seated. Our flowers were ready for the table better to celebrate my wife's B'day. The appetizer was perfect, the wine very good and the entrée excellent! The complementary desert topped off the meal and I even got credit for airline miles using my credit card. Can you expect more?Special Features:
- SilverGypsyDined on 8/16/2014Although the dining room was loud (a local basketball team was having dinner!) and quite warm, the food and wine were very good. The wait staff was very busy and seemed to be understaffed. The jazz club, which is in a separate room, was excellent with fun music and a very live audience. We will definitely return but probably not on a Saturday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking for a new place to dine?martex52Dined on 8/16/2014We visit Albuquerque often and are always on the lookout for a new place to have supper. Well, we happened upon Scalo and weren't disappointed. Right in the heart of Nob Hill, its layout is intriguing. I liked the split level design in the dining room. I only wish I had gone toward the rear where the bar was located. The entrees were very good, especially the beef tenderloin which I ordered well-done, an order that can be tricky. All in all, my wife and I were very happy with the choice and we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- margaritaville74Dined on 8/15/2014ambiance was great, food was good, service needed to be a little more attentive, overall great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- proseccoproseccoDined on 8/15/2014Great food, friendly waiter, not overbearing. Gathered with two friends, a perfect Friday night dinner.Special Features:
- Wedding Anniversary DinnerRMike54Dined on 8/11/2014My wife and I returned to Scalo where we had our wedding two years ago. As always the service and food was first rate. The dining room has a quiet background level where you can easily have a conversation across the table, which is getting harder to find these days. The northern Italian cuisine is first rate and reasonable priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeewilksDined on 8/1/2014Scalo, as always, left us with memories of excellent food in a fine dining atmosphere that was not too uptight. Our kids enjoyed their meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScaloJimLVIPDined on 8/1/2014Dined on a Friday night, very crowded. Food was very good and reasonably priced with good portions. Service was just ok presumably because of the large crowd Would highly recommend as still good after all these yearsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unpleasant start to a fine dinnerdne99Dined on 7/26/2014Our hostess walked us passed the (empty) table requested in our OpenTable reservation; after questioning it, she replied they had a lot of reservations. When we challenged her logic, she acceded. Thomas, our waiter, was courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tepid ResponseOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014We have been going to Scalo for approx 20 years....this was the worst dining experience so far. I requested a table along the front of the restaurant...did not receive it. I know that its not always possible to be seated where you want...there were however at least 4 empty tables available at my requested location. We were not even told why our request was ignored. We were squeezed in between two large parties....totally uncomfortable ! When our orders arrived they were awash in grease...the server was acceptable. Did however have to be reminded time and again to refill the water. As I mentioned above...worst ever...it's been going downhill for the last few visits. We will not return !!!!
- mcc22VIPDined on 7/26/2014I have eaten at Scalos for years, the food has always been perfectly prepared. This time I took friends from New York who love Italian food - it was embarrassing. The pasta was sticky and hard - making our entrees inedible. As always the ambience and service were good - not good enough to make this an enjoyable experience though.
- Filletto - Awesomeswww2Dined on 7/26/2014One of the best steaks ever eaten. Usually prefer seafood over steak, but this steak selection would be hard to beat. Already looking forward to the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoEileenDined on 7/25/2014Never again linguine and claims were so gritty I thought I had a mouth full of sand, the sturgeon was so tough could not even finish eating it.
- Perfect AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014We celebrated our 26th anniversary with a lovely dinner and were well taken care of by our waiter Stan. The food and wine were delicious and it made for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014We had a reservation at 6:15 we did not get seated until 6:40. They said the table we were waiting for was not done yet ,even though they has a lot of other empty tables. We put in our order , got our salads and we waited for more than 45 min and still did not have our main course. We had to leave so we told the manager ,he said he was sorry and would take care of our bill. Not sure what happened I think the server didn't get our order turned in.
- outdoor dining in Nob hillgr8valuDined on 7/19/2014Enjoy sitting outside on the patio in the bar or restaurant; there was a band on the patio. The pasta was good & short rib was good - a large portion.Special Features:
- Good Food but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014The food was ok. Ravioli I had was a tad under cooked. Great prices on booze especially Champagne. This place had been around for decades I feel like the quality has dwindled a bit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dissapointedrrice62Dined on 7/7/2014My wife and I dined for our 24th anniversary this past week and chose Scalo as it has always been a favorite establishment for us to share special occasions. We had reservations at 7:00 and arrived a bit early and were promptly seated. Our waiter seemed confused and was lacking consistency in service. We heard other tables get daily specials and we did not get the same. Some tables got bread before salad, some after, and some not at all. The expediter seemed lost as he was serving tables wrong food orders and some even before they ordered! It took 20 minutes to get a drink refills. Servers from the patio area came and tried to restore order in the dining room. Food was good, service wasn't! Our future special nights wont be at Scalo :(Special Features:
- mood4foodDined on 7/6/2014Scalos has been consistently good since it opened. Always wonderful food, courteous service, and a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:
- Best Scalo Dinner YetDiningADeuxDined on 7/5/2014I eat at Scalo about once per year. This time was exceptional. The freshness of the seafood and the produce was notable. Flavors in sauces were clear, not overdone; ditto descriptions of food and wine. This is a seasoned restaurant and it shows. The branzini was very fresh sea bass, delicately flavored and cooked perfectly. The Antipasto Mista featured the best chicken liver pate that I can remember. The pasta is fresh daily, truly al dente. Wine list included Italian wines, one of which was new to me and paired perfectly with the fish Even dessert, panna cotta understated . I plan to return more often as a result of this excellent meal and responsive service that let us linger over each of our four courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatjessntereDined on 6/28/2014Had a wonderful dinner & great time with our small close group of friends! Our waiter was awesome & on point! TY! Your ribeye never fails to amaze me! delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good experiencre!SWinSADined on 6/28/2014Excellent food. Always good fresh fish. One of us had the Bronzino, and pronounced it excellent. The other two had veal, and it was outstanding, with very generous portions. Salads and vegetables also excellent.Special Features:
- First time at ScaloYummyDined on 6/26/2014I wanted to take my out of town friends to a nice quiet place to eat with a variety of food. Scalo came highly recommended and we had a wonderful time with delicious meals for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. I plan on returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texans very happyLuvitalian2Dined on 6/23/2014Great food and service! Waiter was from Texas! Very nice guy and Great Resturant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was greatLobostaffDined on 6/21/2014Had a party of eight with a 3 yr old for a birthday dinner. Server was very good, kidded around with the kids, prompt, well versed in how to handle a large party. Food was served properly, delicious, plated perfectly. Overall an outstanding experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not for romantic night out.ABQdinerDined on 6/20/2014Service: Our waitress didn't suggest anything other than day's specials, and wasn't aggressive in adding things on. When we ordered dessert, no coffee or digestif was offered, but we ordered them anyway. Timing was off entire night. Bread was finally delivered just before appetizer, which came out at the same time as salads. Then dipping oil/vinegar for the bread. We waited over 5 minutes after dessert came for our coffee and digestifs. Food: Ask for lime twist in scotch, got lemon. Ravioli was tough, possibly undercooked. Lamb chops were excellent. Salads were fresh and crisp, though the dressing was sparse and only on half of one salad. Tirimisu was delicious. A little noisy for an anniversary. We won't go again for a romantic night out.Special Features:
- StateCollegeCajunVIPDined on 6/18/2014restaurant has improved greatly. Worth giving it a try.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MemorableDined on 6/18/2014I was looking for a place to take my wife for dinner to celebrate our eighth wedding anniversary. I had never been to Scalo before so I decided to give it a try. When we arrived, we were greeted promptly, and after about a 5 minute wait were escorted by the maitre d' which was beautifully set, and contained the bouquet of roses that I ordered that afternoon. We were then greeted by a very friendly waitress, Ms. Emrys (sorry I don't remember her first name) who explained the specials and answered our questions about menu items. She then took our wine order which was promptly served. I might add that their wine list is quite extensive. The food arrived hot and delicious. Our entire experience was one of complete satisfaction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mealStateCollegeCajunVIPDined on 6/16/2014One of the best meals we have had in NM/ABQ. They did it. Monday's also have half price on bottles of wine. Definitely worth going there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great choiceYuuYumDined on 6/15/2014We've dined here repeatedly when in town. Always a fun choice. Especially enjoy the Sunday Brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night on the townClose2prfectDined on 6/14/2014Dinner for two was almost perfect. Got the table requested, service and server were most helpful and pleasant adding well to the evening. Spent two hours with dinner from soup to nuts and not complaints to rush us out! Thank you. Then visited the lounge to hear the blues band and dance. Stayed another two hours dancing and the guys in the band made it even more fun. Very good music too! Do wish more people would dance as we were the only ones dancing the entire night! Tough on a guy dancing so exposed!Special Features:
- ScaloChuckDined on 6/8/2014Online reservation service wouldn't allow a dinner reservation earlier than 6:45 pm. When we arrived at that time, the restaurant was no moe than one-third full, and remained so occupied for the entire evening. We were seated in an unoccupied wing of the restaurant where the air conditioning was not working. Server said they would turn on a fan: but did not. We had to ask twice to be moved before we were seated in a more comfortable area which was, also, only one-third occupied. Food was marginal and not as good as we have experienced at this restaurant in the past. My veal was undercooked. The calamari was not tender. My wife rated her ravioli as just "ok". Would not allow gratuity to be charged to the gift card we were using.Special Features:
- Close to TheaterFarmtableDined on 6/7/2014Great place to go after Popejoy theater and they give you 10% off if you show them your tickets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scalo returnGuruofgroceriesDined on 6/6/2014I hadn't dined at Scalo in many years.(we're in ABQ just a few nights a year). The energy level is still high, making for conducive atmosphere for lively, fun conversation etc.Food is creative,without being eclectic. Portions ample.wine list is balanced with plenty of selections in $35-$60 range.Service was great.friendly,knowledgeable ,efficient.We look forward to returningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.