Scalini Fedeli - Chatham
63 Main Street
Chatham, NJ 07928Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
Scalini Fedeli - Chatham
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://scalinifedeli.com/
- Phone: 9737019200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Michael Cetrulo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Scalini Fedeli can be rented out for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Marandola 9737019200
- Special Events: Scalini Fedeli stimulus package; no corkage fee Monday through Friday lunch, and Monday through Thursday dinner.
A word from Scalini Fedeli - Chatham
Scalini Fedeli was opened by chef-owner Michael Cetrulo in 1995 and very quickly became New Jersey's highest rated Italian restaurant. Rated excellent by the New York Times in 1996 and New Jersey's favorite restaurant in Zagat's Survey in 2001 and New Jersey Monthly's best Italian and top 25 overall in 2007. Highlights from the menu include soft egg yolk raviolo with black truffle butter, pignoli crusted salmon with artichoke and mint agnolotti in a light tomato and basil broth and braised short ribs of beef with a cherry pepper and port glaze. Set in an historic building built in 1740, the atmosphere is slightly formal with Tuscan style vaulted ceilings finished with Venetian plaster. Tapestry and antique mirrors adorn the walls.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Scalini Fedeli - Chatham - Best Restaurants in Chatham ›
Scalini Fedeli - Chatham reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (71)romantic (57)fit for foodies (42)neighborhood gem (23)notable wine list (22)good for groups (8)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Scalini Fedeli is a local gemAnnieDined on 8/28/2014My review only needs one word: "FANTASTIC" as our experience at Scalini Fedeli was top notch in every way. Food was terrific, service was attentive, and ambiance couldn't have been nicer. Price is high, but worth it for what you get.Special Features:
- Consistently Exellent FooddiscriminatingpalateDined on 8/23/2014Dining at SF is always a terrific experience from beginning to end. The service and food are always exceptional. The menu is varied and always offers new and exciting choices no matter how many times one dines there. The sauces are always well seasoned, complex and fresh. They compliment the food and don't overpower it. The desserts are always elegant and worth the feeling of "fullness" experienced as you push your chair from the table to leave. Scalini Fedeli is always consistently excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our go to anniversary dining choicenynjfoodyDined on 8/22/2014Spent the third year in a row celebrating our anniversary here. This year we brought our adult children as well. Great dinner enjoyed by all. The only small complaint is they forgot the intermezzo .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/21/2014My wife and I went Scalini Fedeli for our wedding anniversary. From beginning to end the experience was wonderful. The three course price fixed dinner was really five courses, all delicious. We will not wait for a special occasion to dine there again.Special Features:
- Simply deliciousBani1Dined on 8/18/2014The food, wine,ambience and staff were simply wonderful. It was a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always wonderfulNeverabadtimetoeatDined on 8/14/2014Our dining experience was wonderful as it always is when we visit Scalini! Ambience, food and service all made for an overall excellent evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiance, service, foodJazzyDined on 8/9/2014Food choices are abundant, some with upcharge but the pricing is right. Go hungry! Select a salad if you have a smaller appetite - portions are generous.Special Features:
- Too close for comfortAcrosstheHudsonDined on 8/9/2014My husband & I eat here for special celebrations, and as always, the food and service were superb. However, this time we were seated at a "cozy", table stuck ina corner near the doorway. To say we felt cramped is an understatement. The space was small, elbows hitting the wall, and noisey. It took away from our special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMrWalrusVIPDined on 8/2/2014Really 3.5 stars but rounding down for the small horrible table they gave us. If you dine here & are a couple, ensure you do not get the extremely small table when you first walk inside. My reservation was made months in advance so there was no excuse to be put there. The dining room is very nice but does get loud. Service was good, we did not feel rushed as other reviews have stated. Maybe because we were at a horrible table that no one wanted. Food I must say was just okay. The ravioli appetizer, the bread & the sorbet were the best things we ate. My wife's pasta appetizer was obviously not fresh pasta & was under cooked. Her filet, while cooked to her specifications, was not seasoned at all. We will not return.Special Features:
- Knowledgeable staff!Luvs2cookDined on 8/2/2014From the moment you walk through the door you know you are going to have an extraordinary culinary experience. The wait staff is professional and attentive to the clientele.Special Features:
- 10yr anniversary celebrationStillFabDined on 7/30/2014We picked this restaurant because we spent our 8 yr anniversary there and they went the extra mile to make it special with champagne and a nice dessert for us. A little disappointed that none of that happened this time for our 10th. Needless to say, our dining experience was still top notch. The food is just amazing. Highly recommend this place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite New Jersey RestaurantBobTDined on 7/30/2014While I do not consider myself a gourmet, I like to think I know excellent food. For years, we have too often tried highly touted and pricey establishments that disappointed. Fortunately, this restaurant is not one of those. We have been going here about twice a year (do not live close by) for about seven years. Scalini Fedeli is by far, our favorite restaurant in New Jersey. Not only is every dish we have tried outstanding, the preparation is exacting. If we loved it once, it will taste exactly the same, the next time. The service is efficient and unobtrusive. In our recent visit, we brought two other couples who had never been there. Their unsolicited praise was effusive. We always feel that we have a very positive experience here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long-time FavoriteYogiBooDined on 7/29/2014Scalini Fedeli is a long time favorite, and it never fails to please. The menu has many favorite dishes, but I enjoy exploring the menu and trying new dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinedinerDined on 7/26/2014The food was ok. Everything came out very fast, the service is also very fast and impersonal. I felt a bit rushed. I guess I'm not a fan of pre fixe menus. I wouldn't go as my choice but if friends wanted to go I would go. This was my third time there and I still am not impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014This restaurant is always a great choice for a special occassion. The food is great, they dont rush at all, and service is terriffic.Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Morris CountyNJDinerDined on 7/21/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, solid service - hits on all levelsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A winner every time.DouglasDined on 7/18/2014Food is of the highest quality. Also great sauces and ingredient pairings.Special Features:
- Wonderful ItaliandebbakesbreadVIPDined on 7/18/2014Fantastic meal. The Veal is out of this world. Highly recommend anything with the porcini mushroom sauce.Special Features:
- Fine dining at its best!!!jfseasDined on 7/18/2014Dinner friday evening with my husband, daughter and son proved to be one of the finest dining experiences of my lifetime. Having dined at Scalini in the past and expecting a great evening, I was thoroughly impressed with the awesome delivery of food and service. From the appetizers of capellini pasta with Maryland lump crab meat in a light cream sauce to the Ecuadorian shrimp in a Roma tomato and basil reduction my family was impressed. My potato crusted snapper in a red wine reduction and roasted beets stood out while my husband devoured his thinly sliced duck breast in a Port and truffle reduction. Megan had her favorite filet mignon while Michael thoroughly enjoyed the lobster special of the evening. Desserts were equally delicious!Special Features:
- Good but not GreatTheatergoerDined on 7/18/2014I found the food tasty but not amazing. I ordered the risotto with mushrooms as an appetizer but found the taste a bit off putting. My entree was better but did not have enough vegetables with the fish that was served. There was just a smattering of vegetables and I happen to like vegetables more than most seafood or meats.) Also, it was a bit too noisy to hear across the table.Special Features:
- Great Food, but felt forgottenSteveDDined on 7/17/2014Let me start by saying that the food selection, presentation and taste was superb. This is definitely a place for "foodies". However, we we disappointed by the service, feeling neglected and over-looked. My wife and I took her parents there for a special event. They are 90 and small eaters and not drinkers. Because of that we did not order bottles of wines and were a bit particular with our order. Apparently we did not fit the profile of the big-spending tables of business people with multiple bottles of wine. Nobody came over to the table once our food was served to check on our meals, to pour the wine we had ordered and our plates linguired needlessly long once we were done. An example of a great product poorly delivered.Special Features:
- Fantastic as Always....jorgeVIPDined on 7/9/2014This is by far my favorite Italian Restaurant. All aspects of service and food preparation are unequalled anywhere else in NJ.Special Features:
- Scalini Fedeli- A must place to go.toymanDined on 6/28/2014Met my cousin for dinner half-way (he coming from Tomkins Cove NY I coming from Cherry Hill NJ). I drove one hour & a half and he one hour 15. In short the trip was worth the effort on all counts. The restaurant "OUTSTANDING" in all categories. We are both Wall Street veterans and dined at the finest of restaurants in NYC, but this establishment equals and or surpasses the most elegant of the NYC scene. I look forward to my return visit. "Great Dining Experience".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvitDined on 6/28/2014As usual, you can't beat the value at this pride fix restaurant . Always great food and consistent. Service great, but this past time we had a new waiter who was not quite up to the level if the other wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food 10 Service 1FoodieVIPDined on 6/24/2014This restaurant has a great kitchen. The menu offers something for everyone . The pasta dishes are prepared to perfection and the fish and meat dishes are wonderful. The noise level is a problem and related to the ceiling design that results in conversations from two to five tables away being heard as if they were at your table. The service is poor delivered by waiters who are officious , careless and forgetful . They seem bored with there job. They just want to get the food on the table, even if it is not yours, and get the check on the table.
- A must try!!luvfinefoodDined on 6/21/2014Fabulous!! Go there at least twice a year to celebrate special occasions. Finest fine dining to be found. Have never been disappointed. Love the idea of dining in a house -- gives the evening a special feel.Special Features:
- SunnyDined on 6/20/2014As a repeat patron, I can say that this restaurant offers you ambience, great food and caters to each diner's wishes. Makes a great veal chop!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food, slightly noisyChiliDined on 6/14/2014Sat us immediately on a busy Saturday. Staff was very attentive and very little wait time between courses. Great presentation of food and everything was excellent. Selections are much better compared to those on the website menu. We will return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014This was our second visit and the food was equally good as our first visit. Service was very attentive but not overbearing. We highly recommend Scalini Fedeli.Special Features:
- Always great!luvgoodfoodDined on 6/12/2014My wife and I have celebrated many anniversary dinners at Scalini Fedeli and we are always quite happy with the food and service. They never disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scalini FedeliPattikateDined on 6/6/2014Scalini Fedeli remains one of the top restaurants in New Jersey for good reason...excellent food, service and ambiance at a surprisingly reasonable price. Great value for their prixe fixe dinner . An outstanding dining experience overall. It was also nice to discover that even though they have a lovely wine list, you can still bring your own with no corkage fee during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding mealTonyVIPDined on 6/3/2014Although Scalini Fedeli is often described as very expensive, we think that $54 for a 3-course fixed price dinner is very reasonable. They let you BYO wine during the week without a corkage fee. And they provide nice extras - amuse bouche, and a palate cleanser before dessert. But of course none of this would be worth mentioning if the food wasn't outstanding - but it is. The red snapper entree was not only excellent, it was interesting and novel. Appetizers were also great. We had no room for dessert, but ate every bite anyway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- njwmpwDined on 5/31/2014Have been client of Scalini Fedeli-Chatham since it opened nineteen years ago, every dining experience has been outstanding, never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent for special occasionRitaDined on 5/30/2014The food was very tasty and I would definitely recommend this place. Just because it is on the expensive side, I think that this place would be an excellent "special occasion" choice.Special Features:
- 20th AnniversaryfoodieDined on 5/28/2014We'd never been to the restaurant, & decided to go on our anniversary. It was a Wednesday night. They have a prefix menu. The selections are extensive. There were so many dishes we wanted to try. For apps. I ordered sheep's milk ricotta torelloni in a arugula & sundried tomato sauce & my husband had an egg yolk ravioli w/ ricotta & spinach in a truffle oil. We shared both & were both delicious. For our entrées we both had veal dishes. Both excellent. The next course was a coconut sorbet with a pineapple sauce, with a plate of assorted cookies and candies. Then came the dessert menu! If you love chocolate this is the place to come. We are definitely going back and next time will bring friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always top notchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/28/2014Dining at Scalini Fedeli is always a very pleasant experience. The food is excellent and the service is attentive without being overbearing. The fact that you an bring your own wine to compliment the meal is a big positive as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- syr11Dined on 5/23/2014Great food. Always an amazing time. Excellent waiter...Andreas.Special Features:
- Great spotSeppeDined on 5/23/2014Terrific food, exceptional staff particularly the Maitre'D. The complete packageSpecial Features:
- Special Occasion PlaceSpecialDined on 5/20/2014We have lived in the area for 14 years and this was our fourth visit to Scalini Fedeli. This was the first visit with our kids, 12 and 17. We were not disappointed and the kids are already asking when we can come back. I love that the maitre d has been there for so long, and remembered some of the dishes I had the first time.Special Features:
- New Jersey ExcellencethefooddoctorVIPDined on 5/15/2014Dinner at Scalini Fedeli was outstanding again. Service, provided by request by Warren, remains the standard by which others are measured. Warren personally selected a veal chop that was amazing in flavor, preparation, tenderness and size. First time I have tried the liver ravioli appetizer and was rewarded with a great new flavor. My wife had the seafood risotto appetizer which is absolutely delicious and really could serve two. Dessert, included in the prix fix menu, was great with my wife enjoying the chocolate souffle and I the fruit and berry napoleon. Scalini Fedeli continues to be one of NJ finest and I highly recommend the selections on the most recent menu.Special Features: