50 West 77th St.
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.scalettaristorante.com/
- Phone: 2127699191x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:00pm-10:30pm, Sunday 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Omer Grgurev
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Upon request only
A word from Scaletta Restaurant
Located on the west side across from Central Park and the Museum of Natural History. Tasty Northern Italian specialties and on-site pastry chef's masterpieces. Scaletta Ristorante is a "must eat" for anyone who enjoys fine dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scaletta Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)good for groups (25)special occasion (25)romantic (16)fit for foodies (15)notable wine list (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Everybody will finish every biteretiredtravelerDined on 8/26/2014Six of us had dinner at Scaletta. We tried 3 different appetizers, 6 different dinners, and 6 different desserts. Every single bite of everything was eaten. We all thought our entrées were fantastic. Definitely on my return to list although just a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinahVIPDined on 8/18/2014Scaletta doesn't disappoint--we've been going there for years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirminghamVIPDined on 8/15/2014Delightful dinning experience. Lovely setting , great food and good service, The host makes you feel welcomed. Always a pleasure.Special Features:
- A Restaurant for Grown-upsSarabeeDined on 8/14/2014This is how I described the restaurant to friends and it met this reputation. It is quiet. You can hear the conversation at your table without raising your voice and you don't hear the conversation at other tables. There is no background music, no noise. Pleasant surroundings, competent waiters who provide good service but don't hover, good food and a spectacular dessert cart. Twenty- or thirty-somethings would probably not like this place but it is great for grown-ups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressedbronxborn53Dined on 8/13/2014Excellent meal and wonderful service in a beautiful neighborhood setting across from the Museum of Natural History and down the street from Central Park West. Will be back.Special Features:
- ScalettaInsuranceMavenDined on 8/12/2014Alway a winner. Lovely ambiance, attentive service, tables generously spaced, excellent for conversation. Food is good and prices fair. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect restaurant!luvItalianfoodDined on 8/12/2014My family enjoyed everything about Scaletta Ristorante. It was situated on a quiet, charming street just west of the Park. The atmosphere inside was quiet and lovely. The tables were appointed with linen, which was first class, but we felt comfortable as did almost all the guests around the room to be in business casual. The table hosts were very helpful and informative. Our Montelpuciano Rossi was just right and went so well with our meals. We thought the veal sauce on the spaghetti Bolognese and lasagna was superb and the pasta itself light and delicious. I had asked for a quiet charming table where could celebrate as a family, and I could not be more pleased with the corner table our hosts gave us. I love this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SmithereensDined on 8/10/2014We were fortunate to be in NYC during restaurant week and staying in Upper West Side. We chose Scaletta and thoroughly enjoyed our evening. The food was delicious and service excellent. We will recommend this restaurant to our international travelling friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindJackiDined on 8/8/2014I found this place through restaurant week and was pleasantly surprised. The food tasted fresh and came out promptly. We made reservations for my Father-In-Law's 70th Birthday, and I must say he enjoyed it greatly. We had ordered a cake which they made in house and tasted delicious and looked GREAT! The ambiance was great and the service was attentive and engaging! Recommend Greatly!Special Features:
- paulhDined on 8/8/2014We were a party of five, and we arrived earlier than planned. However we enjoyed the relaxed environment with our drinks and then ordered dinner. I think everyone enjoyed it.Special Features:
- eastsiderDined on 8/7/2014Very good food and service. Nice size portions. Would not hesitate to recommend to a friend and would definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- restweekDined on 8/3/2014this restaurant is very peaceful. the food is always delicious. we liked the restaurant week menu. many good choices as if from their regular menu the veal was very tender. we could choose from all the desserts on the dessert cart .Special Features:
- Allergic1VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great food and wonderful service. Fantastic attention to allergy details.Special Features:
- Past its PrimeCWrightVIPDined on 7/18/2014Scaletta may have been a wonderful place in the past, but that day is gone. The service was lacking, server could not even remember the specials or what was in them. The wrong bottle of wine was brought to the table, no one actually listened to what you wanted. The food, was less than mediocre. The Carpaccio had no flavor, capers were stale. The mushroom risotto was the only thing decent. I had the rack of lamb special, quite possibly the worst lamb I have ever tasted, more like mutton, tough, gamey, and way to much salt. Temperature of restaurant was also unpleasant. Not worth the first trip so won't be back.
- TiggerDined on 7/11/2014My favorite restaurant in NY. Perfect for conversation, and they never rush you. Food and service are consistently good. Just wish they would deliver.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced food/depressing decorOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/3/2014Food is fine, but way overpriced for the quality. A $34 halibut dish came in a nice red sauce accompanied by a tablespoon of tasteless polenta and 2 small broccoli florets. The decor is so dated it's depressing.
- lovely late supper spotFoodieFamilyDined on 6/24/2014Our group drifted in after an event at Natural History on a Tuesday night -- table of 3, table of 5, table of 4 over the space of half an hour after 9. We were all well taken care of, with excellent service right down to water refills. The food was delicious-- the salads, the soups (especially the gazpacho), and the fish. Enjoyed our time there and will add it to our regulars in New York.Special Features:
- Good for conversationnew2nycVIPDined on 6/14/2014Good for seniors, and anyone who would like a nice meal enjoyed in a relatively quiet ,old fashioned atmosphere.Menu seems out of the past-which is good for those who want food they can recognize -not at all precious...Everything was well prepared, and tasty. the service was mostly good- and my companion and I could enjoy the opportunity to have a leisurely meal, in a spot where the tables are far apart, and diners mostly quiet.(One larger group in the rear of restaurant erupted in loud laughter --making it occasionally festive, but hard to hear) Food could be a bit more inventive, and seasoned a bit more.... we will likely come back.Special Features:
- Great Find!!!SuesQDined on 5/31/2014We had a very enjoyable evening...good food, great service, and nice atmosphere. I would definitely return to this restaurant! They obviously have a lot of loyal local customers...a real gem!Special Features:
- A place you can converse inLainiecookDined on 5/31/2014The food is mediocre, but it's quiet and they don't rush you out. Service is pretty good. It's a good place to go if you're not into a gourmet experience, want to eat out, and wish to have a good conversation with friends.
- TiggerDined on 5/30/2014This is my favorite restaurant in NY. Consistently great in every way.Special Features:
- RegularsVIPDined on 5/23/2014Fred Gurgurev runs a delightful dining establishment. Every visit is thoroughly enjoyable without even a hint of anything off kilter. Regularly visit when coming into the city for dinner.Special Features:
- BirminghamBirminghamVIPDined on 5/21/2014Always a good choice for a good dinner with good service and a relaxed atmosphere where you can hear each other. Consistent and great menu choices.Special Features:
- deliciousVIPDined on 5/17/2014Food needed seasoning needed salt would try again but disappointed
- greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2014The food was so good and the service was great, will definitely go back!Special Features:
- never disappointingfreddyDined on 5/17/2014one of the most consistently good restaurants in ny. has gotten better with time. we've never had a less than good dish here whether it's veal, fish, or pasta. the dessert cart is terrific. i've dined here perhaps 20 times over the past few years sometimes with one other person and sometimes with a larger group and the service is always good. one caveat-the waiters are sometimes difficult to understand. also, the wine list is somewhat inaccurate-a 2007 bottle on the menu may appear as 2011 when brought to the table. the owner, freddy, can make good recommendations, particularly croatian wines. you can actually hear the person across the table from you, which is not often the case today.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably tastyUpperWestSidedenizenDined on 5/14/2014Gracious service coupled with nicely made traditional food and some tasty specials. Quiet enough to hear your companions' conversation. If you want trendy, make another choice.Special Features:
- Fabulouso Grrossokatten41Dined on 5/13/2014Freddy and his staff are the best. Kitchen does top notch work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in the HoodMCalDined on 5/13/2014if your plans take you to The Museum of Natural History and environs, you must put Scaletta on your agenda...we always do.Special Features:
- babyVIPDined on 5/10/2014as always was a very pleasant dining experience, good food, pleasant atmosphere and nice serviceSpecial Features:
- NYC Dining out on the West sideSteveDined on 5/10/2014A very pleasant, charming resturaunt in the heart of the W70's. Nice menu including appetizers and salads, wine list and beautiful desserts. Best to get dropped off vs parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TiggerDined on 5/9/2014As always, everything was perfection. My all-time and forever favorite restaurant in NY.Special Features:
- The following 657 reviews are from the Scaletta Restaurant reviews archive.
- Always a delight!HeavenlyVIPDined on 5/1/2014Scaletta Restaurant is consistenly wonderful. The food, the service, the welcoming atmosphere - all topnotch!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningbethscDined on 4/25/2014We celebrated my husbands 64 th birthday here. Spent the day at the museum of natural history and wanted a restaurant that was nice and also close to the museum. Well we got both. There were 7 of us and everyone enjoyed their entire meal. It was not loud, there was space between tables, the service was not intrusive and pleasant. We have definitely placed this restaurant on our listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently goodbinkman3Dined on 4/21/2014Reliably excellent local restaurant. My book club meets there once a month as we value the low noise level, the spacious surroundings, the quality of the food, and the courteous service by professional waiters as opposed to ambitious young actors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet, relaxed, comfortableVeterandinerDined on 4/18/2014My family and I have been going to Scaletta's for almost as long as the restaurant has been in business. The owners and staff are friendly, and the décor is quietly elegant. We have never had a poorly prepared dish, and everything is served promptly and hot. The wine list can be pricey, but there are many bottles in the mid-range that are really fine selections. We recently brought friends from Indiana to the restaurant for dinner and they loved the seafood pasta. The rack of lamb was cooked to perfection, as was my veal sorrentina. All in all, an excellent, relaxing and quiet place to dine.Special Features:
- Big apple dinning.SonnyDined on 4/18/2014An enjoyable dinner, clean, quite, service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Disappointing service wasRSwsDined on 4/5/2014Disappointing service was poor. Was told it was because they had a big party in the back. Would not go back
- Nothing about this restaurant2nickelsVIPDined on 4/4/2014Nothing about this restaurant makes you feel like you are having a New York City experience. I think my husband and I were the youngest customers and we're mid 50s. We live in the neighborhood an have for over a decade and thought we should try it. We won't again.
- We love ScalettaNickyDined on 4/3/2014Consistently, a great place! We have been eating here for years on many occasions. It is fairly consistent. The food is always good. Sometimes, they can get a bit overloaded and the service is a bit backed up but they more than make up for it with their charm and good will.Special Features: