432 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scalasbistro.com/
- Phone: 4153958555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 10:30am,
Weekend Breakfast: 8:00am to 10:30am
Brunch: 10am to 2pm - Sat and Sun
Lunch 11:30am to 3:00pm - Daily
Dinner 5:15pm to 11:00pm - Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Larry Finn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
We can easily accommodate all types of meetings, business functions, social events and wedding celebrations.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven Thrun for any private dining needs at 415-395-8506 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Scala's Bistro
Since 1995, Scala's Bistro has garnered a reputation for classic, elegant dining. Warm, earth tones, original murals, beaded bistro lamps, and rich, mahogany booths evoke a dramatic Old World café. Fresh, innovative, Italian and Mediterranean-inspired dishes enhance the Scala’s menu while continuing to pay homage to the old Scala’s favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scala's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
328 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (135)neighborhood gem (119)special occasion (102)great for lunch (77)notable wine list (68)romantic (66)good for groups (64)vibrant bar scene (55)hot spot (50)late-night find (36)great for brunch (33)kid-friendly (13)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Scala'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Excellent fresh food, excellent friendly service, lovely atmoshereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy foodWineTimesDined on 10/19/2014Three of us had brunch here after the Nike Women's marathon. The food was terrific! We all ordered from the brunch menu. The service was a little slow, but everyone was very helpful.Special Features:
- Great honeymoon dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Very polite staff, great location, and very good quality food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hillsfortiffanyDined on 10/18/2014Yummy duck! great wine! group seating in teh wine room was perfect for our half marathon team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd TimeFleonardDined on 10/17/2014This was our 3rd visit to this establishment and again we were well pleased. The food was great, service was attentive and cared for all our needs. We celebrated our wedding anniversary there and our menus were customized with "Happy 7th Wedding Anniversary". The portions were perfect and the food was amazing. We brought our own bottle of wine and they opened and served it as their own.Special Features:
- Scala's is a real gem!ChaineLadyDined on 10/17/2014Authentic and delicious Italian cuisine with faultless service. Servers appeared from nowhere whenever we were low on water, bread, etc. Unobtrusive yet omnipresent -- is that even possible? And the food! Everything we had was as good as or better than any food we've had anywhere, including Italy.Special Features:
- Good not greatHeidiCVIPDined on 10/17/2014Overall is was just okay...my pasta was salty and my friend's pasta was not even al dente but hard. I have been many times, not sure I'd go back.
- baffled by no bafflemindmavenVIPDined on 10/15/2014Nice ambiance, in a dark wooded room. but when crowded, the noise is terrible. You have to lean over half the table to hear someone on the othr side. too much salt in some of the food. Margarita pizzeta is delicious. Hostess is really good, helpful, warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- UmoreDined on 10/14/2014The food and service were outstanding. The staff is caring and added special touches to our Birthday Celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lawrence AmaturoLawrenceADined on 10/11/2014GREAT selection for private parties.....theres a special room with room for three tables of ten or twelve. Amazing service and care. Strong reco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another ItalianGerpVIPDined on 10/11/2014Scala is a very traditional Italian restaurant in the St. Francis Drake Hotel. The food is well prepared and the options are just what you would expect for Italian food. The portions are generous. That said, it is very average in every way, but not disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014Excellent breakfast - delicious eggs benedict with a very good portion of tasty ham. Lox were very fresh and beautiful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- October DiningFoodieEnthusiast22VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food seemed not as good as the last time we were there about a year ago. Soup was very good but the meals we had (hanger steak and halibut) were just okay and nothing special. For the price we expected more.Special Features:
- san fransisco treatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014scala's has several places in and around san fran -- we went to the one in the theater district near our hotel...excellent food, and vibrant scene. the portions are small (we like that) but the price was still san fran/ big city prices. you will enjoySpecial Features:
- Awesome pizzaPattyVIPDined on 10/6/2014We had lunch. By far the best pizza I have ever had!Special Features:
- AbbyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Not one of my favorites in the city. The food and service were adequate.Special Features:
- Great atmospheretravlinfoodieDined on 10/5/2014A great place to bring visitors to the city. We always enjoy eating at Scala's Bistro for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDMCCHGODined on 10/4/2014Waiter anticipated our every need. Entire experience was welcoming and the good was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as prior experiencesfourfordinnerDined on 10/4/2014Four in our party. Three people ordered petrale sole which was deboned by our waiter at the table but fish still contained many small bones which made eating it a challenge and not very enjoyable. The fourth person had the halibut. It was served on a very hot plate as though it had been under the heat lamp for some time and as a result, the fish was quite dry. We've dined at Scala Bistro 3 times previously and love the ambience and energy, but this time the meal was a miss.Special Features:
- ReliableSFdinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014We wanted a sure thing for dinner before the theater and Scala's was just right. Our party was varied in the orders and everyone was pleased with their selections. Pastas can always be relied on to fresh and perfectly prepared. Do get the carpaccio - it is better here than in Venice. I really wanted the bostoni cream pie - but got the sampler instead. It was very good, but next time, will stick with the original.Special Features:
- Noisy but handyCJDHDined on 10/2/2014Scala's Bistro is a beautiful place; food and service are great, but when it's full, the sound is deafening. We skipped dessert just to get back to the relative silence of the busy sidewalk outside. If you're looking for a pre-theater restaurant near Union Square, it is in just the right location. We only had a short walk to it from the Sutter/Stockton garage and after dinner another few blocks to the ACT theater on Geary. Traffic made us late for our reservation but we were seated right away anyway. The menu has variety. The mussels (in a sauce of preserved lemons, pernod and fennel) were absolutely wonderful. Noise was the only drawback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbUniqladyDined on 10/1/2014We arrived early for our reservation; the hostess very sweetly suggested we go to the lobby bar. My husband asked the bartender if he made a specialty; he prepared a drink he had created that wasn't even on the menu yet. My husband loved it. The food for dinner was excellent. The wait her was very attentive, and provided several suggestions to us. We had a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJT Software Sales ManagerGuidoDined on 10/1/2014Nice meal. Great food. it would have been perfect except that it was loud. Stay away from the ice tea which is very bitter. The waiter made one mistake but quickly corrected it. The assorted chocolates were a fun dessert for my guests. Best on the menu ... the pasts with sausage and Broccoli!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little neighbor findgoaheadandaskmeDined on 9/30/2014We were visiting the City for Oracle OpenWorld. I made reservations online, which worked out well. The food was good - not fancy but the fried calamari starter was really good! The place was packed to the gills, though, and so loud, we had to yell at one another across the table to have a conversation. Not very relaxing. One guy in our party went upstairs to use the restroom and said the room up there for private parties is stunningly gorgeous. I would eat there again on a quieter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All round great restaurantprudenceVIPDined on 9/29/2014Scala's is very consistent, with excellent service, very good food, and a full bar. Drinks are expensive, but this is Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite SF Restaurant!zorrothecatDined on 9/26/2014I live in Davis, CA, and try to have dinner at Scala's each time I spend a night in San Francisco. The hostess, Natalie, has always been able to find a space for me and anyone who has accompanied me, regardless of my having a reservation or not. I have always accepted whatever opening became available, regardless of the time of evening. In addition to the wonderful food and great service, I have always appreciated Natalie's "Welcome back, Patti" message when I arrive, with or without a reservation. What a gem she is for that restaurant. She goes out of her way to make everyone feel welcome. I recently celebrated my 75th birthday at Scala's with my son, who lives in Thailand. It is also his favorite restaurant when he visits SF.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed our experience at Scala's. The hostess was amazing. Our waitress was attentive to our needs. The food was very good. We would go back.Special Features:
- Italian at it's finestLove2exploreDined on 9/25/2014It was recommended by two San Francisco tour guides which we had the honor of meeting. It was close to our hotel and lived up to their expectation. From the time we entered Scala's Bistro the service was excellent especially our waitress. She was the cutest, friendly, and helpfuland waitress we have had in sometime. She made our experience very enjoyable. Scala's has a prefix 3 course menus with a good selection which I like. My wife had a salmon and I had pork chops. The presentation was nice and the food fabulous. Had a nice bottle of wine from Sonoma region. The dessert was excellent with good coffee to go along with. Being French and loving good restaurants this one you want to eat at.Special Features:
- PortionslocalinthehoodVIPDined on 9/24/2014Spaghetti portion was way too small. Rip off. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tummyfullDined on 9/24/2014The food was very good and the service was excellent, however, it got pretty noisy and difficult to hear one another when the lunch crowd came in around noon. Fortunately for us, we dined at 11:30 am and had a done most of our talking by the time the restaurant became busy.Special Features:
- ScottDined on 9/22/2014My wife was in San Francisco for a conference and I tagged along. It was her birthday and we happened to run across Scala's Bistro on a travel advisor web site. We had a great time, the food was excellent and the server was top notch.Special Features:
- Fabulous!DorrieDined on 9/22/2014Our waiter Tyler excellent at birthday dinner! Lunch was great Cobb salad and again great singing waiter! Love the mints and went on line and ordered two boxes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For a business breakfast meetingHungryVIPDined on 9/22/2014Chose Scala's Bistro based upon its location and its ratings on Open Table. The food was very good. Unfortunately they seemed to be rationing their water and coffee refils. I had to stop the water on his way by our table to get a refill. After they brought the bill it was even more difficult to top off our coffee and water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date with my daughterWant2returnDined on 9/20/2014The best part about my experience was that I was with my daughter..I was visiting her and we went to the theater. The food was amazing and he waiter was funny and professional at the same time. The food was superb! My daughter lives in the city and mentioned that she will come here again with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Place to MeetMandyDined on 9/19/2014Scala's Bistro is our go-to place in San Francisco.....super easy to get to, great menu and ambiance, and the hostess always remembers us! So many family gatherings......just swell!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in the Wine CellarDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 9/19/2014We asked for a quiet corner for four and were offered a corner in the wine cellar, which was just perfect! The room is usually just for large groups but there was room for us and we loved the privacy and quiet. Our dinners were all so delicious, and the service was lovely. The halibut dish sounded so good that we all ordered it and we were not disappointed! We had four different salads and they were all delicious and very ample. Dessert did not disappoint either!Special Features:
- Business Dinner ++JenerRussDined on 9/17/2014Great service- very friendly (VERY animated) server- very knowledgeable. Everything was delicious- very consistent!! GREAT = Reliable-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationKoreanDined on 9/15/2014Dinner for six wS a dream come true! Great food, wonderful service, good friends and handsome wait staff! I couldn't have wished for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great Food!MerrieVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is one our favorite places in San Francisco. We've always had great food and excellent service and this time was no exception. We ordered the pappardelle pasta and the halibut. So good! And we love the ambience and the old charm.Special Features:
- DelightfulStumpyDined on 9/12/2014Staff is wonderful. We reserved for 3; one did not show. No problem. Only problem was the closeness of the table area. I took off my jacket and clobbered woman at next table.Special Features: