432 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scalasbistro.com/
- Phone: 4153958555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 10:30am,
Weekend Breakfast: 8:00am to 10:30am
Brunch: 10am to 2pm - Sat and Sun
Lunch 11:30am to 3:00pm - Daily
Dinner 5:15pm to 11:00pm - Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Larry Finn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
We can easily accommodate all types of meetings, business functions, social events and wedding celebrations.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven Thrun for any private dining needs at 415-395-8506 or email@example.com
A word from Scala's Bistro
Since 1995, Scala's Bistro has garnered a reputation for classic, elegant dining. Warm, earth tones, original murals, beaded bistro lamps, and rich, mahogany booths evoke a dramatic Old World café. Fresh, innovative, Italian and Mediterranean-inspired dishes enhance the Scala’s menu while continuing to pay homage to the old Scala’s favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scala's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
326 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (142)neighborhood gem (120)special occasion (104)great for lunch (78)notable wine list (72)romantic (66)good for groups (65)vibrant bar scene (54)hot spot (49)late-night find (32)great for brunch (30)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- DandollyDandollyDined on 10/25/2014A great place very friendly and wonderful food. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for birthday celebrationVive2justVIPDined on 10/25/2014warmth and hospitality and food choices for birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Fun timesJulieBrown0428Dined on 10/25/2014Good food with very fast service! Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meeting Old FriendsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/25/2014Our foursome thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the La Scala. We had dined there when we stayed at the Sir Francis Drake next door several years ago. And we found the service, food served and ambiance exactly the way we remembered it. The wait staff was attentive and helpful without being intrusive on our party. The food was well-prepared and presented, and delicious. Lastly, our accommodating waitress allowed us to have some fun with the desserts. A thoroughly enjoyable time without it costing a lot. Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014The food is okay. The service and atmosphere is fantastic. So I have mixed feelings about this. I wouldn't my girlfriend back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningsmithbergerDined on 10/24/2014A lovely meal in a beautiful restaurant. Booths and tables that were not jammed together. Great San Francisco decor. Great wine list and fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fince EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014All 8 of us, grandmothers, daughters, grand daughters enjoyed food, ambience and much laughter. Memorable. the waitperson (Sarah, I think) was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "The Opposite of Bland"SkierJaneDined on 10/23/2014We had dined at the ultra expensive "Sante" restaurant at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, and this place blew it out of the water, with both quality of meal and value for the money. We started with an entree which we shared as an appetizer, the Risotto with Duck Confit. It was amazing! I followed this with an Heirloom Tomato Salad and Fish Chowder. My husband had the Duck entree. He said it was the best duck he had ever had. It was perfectly prepared, with its skin deliciously crusty on top. At some point in the meal I shared with him that this meal was the opposite of bland. Everything had such marvelous flavor. The service was fantastic. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014We used Scalas for lunch and several breakfasts while in San Fransisco. A very relaxing place with excellent food, service and very nice decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serverSparkyDined on 10/23/2014Our server was wonderful, knew we had a concert to attend and got us out at the time we requested. All so the food and his suggestions were just what we wanted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Another awesome dinning experience. From teh amazing heirloom tomatoes ( must try) to the sole food was just yumm!. Great wine list and as always an amazingly good level of servcie from all staff.Special Features:
- Scala'sJojoDined on 10/19/2014Excellent fresh food, excellent friendly service, lovely atmoshereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yummy foodWineTimesDined on 10/19/2014Three of us had brunch here after the Nike Women's marathon. The food was terrific! We all ordered from the brunch menu. The service was a little slow, but everyone was very helpful.Special Features:
- Great honeymoon dinnerVanWieren88Dined on 10/18/2014Very polite staff, great location, and very good quality food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hillsfortiffanyDined on 10/18/2014Yummy duck! great wine! group seating in teh wine room was perfect for our half marathon team.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 3rd TimeFleonardDined on 10/17/2014This was our 3rd visit to this establishment and again we were well pleased. The food was great, service was attentive and cared for all our needs. We celebrated our wedding anniversary there and our menus were customized with "Happy 7th Wedding Anniversary". The portions were perfect and the food was amazing. We brought our own bottle of wine and they opened and served it as their own.Special Features:
- Scala's is a real gem!ChaineLadyDined on 10/17/2014Authentic and delicious Italian cuisine with faultless service. Servers appeared from nowhere whenever we were low on water, bread, etc. Unobtrusive yet omnipresent -- is that even possible? And the food! Everything we had was as good as or better than any food we've had anywhere, including Italy.Special Features:
- Good not greatHeidiCVIPDined on 10/17/2014Overall is was just okay...my pasta was salty and my friend's pasta was not even al dente but hard. I have been many times, not sure I'd go back.
- baffled by no bafflemindmavenVIPDined on 10/15/2014Nice ambiance, in a dark wooded room. but when crowded, the noise is terrible. You have to lean over half the table to hear someone on the othr side. too much salt in some of the food. Margarita pizzeta is delicious. Hostess is really good, helpful, warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- UmoreDined on 10/14/2014The food and service were outstanding. The staff is caring and added special touches to our Birthday Celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lawrence AmaturoLawrenceADined on 10/11/2014GREAT selection for private parties.....theres a special room with room for three tables of ten or twelve. Amazing service and care. Strong reco!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another ItalianGerpVIPDined on 10/11/2014Scala is a very traditional Italian restaurant in the St. Francis Drake Hotel. The food is well prepared and the options are just what you would expect for Italian food. The portions are generous. That said, it is very average in every way, but not disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Breakfast!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/11/2014Excellent breakfast - delicious eggs benedict with a very good portion of tasty ham. Lox were very fresh and beautiful. We'll be back!Special Features:
- October DiningFoodieEnthusiast22VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food seemed not as good as the last time we were there about a year ago. Soup was very good but the meals we had (hanger steak and halibut) were just okay and nothing special. For the price we expected more.Special Features:
- san fransisco treatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/8/2014scala's has several places in and around san fran -- we went to the one in the theater district near our hotel...excellent food, and vibrant scene. the portions are small (we like that) but the price was still san fran/ big city prices. you will enjoySpecial Features:
- Awesome pizzaPattyVIPDined on 10/6/2014We had lunch. By far the best pizza I have ever had!Special Features:
- AbbyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Not one of my favorites in the city. The food and service were adequate.Special Features:
- Great atmospheretravlinfoodieDined on 10/5/2014A great place to bring visitors to the city. We always enjoy eating at Scala's Bistro for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDMCCHGODined on 10/4/2014Waiter anticipated our every need. Entire experience was welcoming and the good was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as prior experiencesfourfordinnerDined on 10/4/2014Four in our party. Three people ordered petrale sole which was deboned by our waiter at the table but fish still contained many small bones which made eating it a challenge and not very enjoyable. The fourth person had the halibut. It was served on a very hot plate as though it had been under the heat lamp for some time and as a result, the fish was quite dry. We've dined at Scala Bistro 3 times previously and love the ambience and energy, but this time the meal was a miss.Special Features:
- ReliableSFdinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014We wanted a sure thing for dinner before the theater and Scala's was just right. Our party was varied in the orders and everyone was pleased with their selections. Pastas can always be relied on to fresh and perfectly prepared. Do get the carpaccio - it is better here than in Venice. I really wanted the bostoni cream pie - but got the sampler instead. It was very good, but next time, will stick with the original.Special Features:
- Noisy but handyCJDHDined on 10/2/2014Scala's Bistro is a beautiful place; food and service are great, but when it's full, the sound is deafening. We skipped dessert just to get back to the relative silence of the busy sidewalk outside. If you're looking for a pre-theater restaurant near Union Square, it is in just the right location. We only had a short walk to it from the Sutter/Stockton garage and after dinner another few blocks to the ACT theater on Geary. Traffic made us late for our reservation but we were seated right away anyway. The menu has variety. The mussels (in a sauce of preserved lemons, pernod and fennel) were absolutely wonderful. Noise was the only drawback.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbUniqladyDined on 10/1/2014We arrived early for our reservation; the hostess very sweetly suggested we go to the lobby bar. My husband asked the bartender if he made a specialty; he prepared a drink he had created that wasn't even on the menu yet. My husband loved it. The food for dinner was excellent. The wait her was very attentive, and provided several suggestions to us. We had a fabulous meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DJT Software Sales ManagerGuidoDined on 10/1/2014Nice meal. Great food. it would have been perfect except that it was loud. Stay away from the ice tea which is very bitter. The waiter made one mistake but quickly corrected it. The assorted chocolates were a fun dessert for my guests. Best on the menu ... the pasts with sausage and Broccoli!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little neighbor findgoaheadandaskmeDined on 9/30/2014We were visiting the City for Oracle OpenWorld. I made reservations online, which worked out well. The food was good - not fancy but the fried calamari starter was really good! The place was packed to the gills, though, and so loud, we had to yell at one another across the table to have a conversation. Not very relaxing. One guy in our party went upstairs to use the restroom and said the room up there for private parties is stunningly gorgeous. I would eat there again on a quieter night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All round great restaurantprudenceVIPDined on 9/29/2014Scala's is very consistent, with excellent service, very good food, and a full bar. Drinks are expensive, but this is Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite SF Restaurant!zorrothecatDined on 9/26/2014I live in Davis, CA, and try to have dinner at Scala's each time I spend a night in San Francisco. The hostess, Natalie, has always been able to find a space for me and anyone who has accompanied me, regardless of my having a reservation or not. I have always accepted whatever opening became available, regardless of the time of evening. In addition to the wonderful food and great service, I have always appreciated Natalie's "Welcome back, Patti" message when I arrive, with or without a reservation. What a gem she is for that restaurant. She goes out of her way to make everyone feel welcome. I recently celebrated my 75th birthday at Scala's with my son, who lives in Thailand. It is also his favorite restaurant when he visits SF.Special Features:
- EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014We enjoyed our experience at Scala's. The hostess was amazing. Our waitress was attentive to our needs. The food was very good. We would go back.Special Features:
- Italian at it's finestLove2exploreDined on 9/25/2014It was recommended by two San Francisco tour guides which we had the honor of meeting. It was close to our hotel and lived up to their expectation. From the time we entered Scala's Bistro the service was excellent especially our waitress. She was the cutest, friendly, and helpfuland waitress we have had in sometime. She made our experience very enjoyable. Scala's has a prefix 3 course menus with a good selection which I like. My wife had a salmon and I had pork chops. The presentation was nice and the food fabulous. Had a nice bottle of wine from Sonoma region. The dessert was excellent with good coffee to go along with. Being French and loving good restaurants this one you want to eat at.Special Features:
- PortionslocalinthehoodVIPDined on 9/24/2014Spaghetti portion was way too small. Rip off. Service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.