432 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scalasbistro.com/
- Phone: (415) 395-8555
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 10:30am,
Weekend Breakfast: 8:00am to 10:30am
Brunch: 10am to 2pm - Sat and Sun
Lunch 11:30am to 3:00pm - Daily
Dinner 5:15pm to 11:00pm - Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Larry Finn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
We can easily accommodate all types of meetings, business functions, social events and wedding celebrations.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven Thrun for any private dining needs at 415-395-8506 or email@example.com
A word from Scala's Bistro
Since 1995, Scala's Bistro has garnered a reputation for classic, elegant dining. Warm, earth tones, original murals, beaded bistro lamps, and rich, mahogany booths evoke a dramatic Old World café. Fresh, innovative, Italian and Mediterranean-inspired dishes enhance the Scala’s menu while continuing to pay homage to the old Scala’s favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scala's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
348 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (161)neighborhood gem (116)special occasion (107)great for lunch (85)good for groups (76)romantic (75)notable wine list (68)hot spot (59)vibrant bar scene (56)great for brunch (34)late-night find (31)kid-friendly (16)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- MsbtxVIPDined on 11/25/2014Always a favorite when we visit SF. Menu now is printed daily and includes a fixed price option with choices of soup or salad, entrees, and dessert. Excellent value and superb food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tourist spot in the right locationOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/23/2014Mediocre at best...for everything. If not for the location, this place probably would not survive. The decor and ambience is good...the service and food are less so. In a city of great restaurants, spend a little time and research and you'll do much better than this spot.
- Needs an food and service updateOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 11/23/2014Have eaten here several times. The menu seems stale. Fresh crab available and nothing on the brunch menu with crab. Everything was "OK", nothing stood out. Pancakes are good, but not enough syrup. Asking for toast made from the bread served at the table was a big deal. Too much cheese on the eggs and potato dish. It's a great venue. I hope they give it an update soon.
- Good choice for lunchJenakayaVIPDined on 11/23/2014We ate the last lunch of our trip in San Francisco at Scala's and it was a nice ending to a wonderful trip full of wonderful food. Cozy seating, professional wait staff and good food combined for a good end to our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2014Our favorite stop when we are in the Union Square area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food with adequate serviceeatoutalotDined on 11/20/2014We met friends here for dinner before a show. We were seated promptly and given water. The waitress brought me the wrong cocktail, then after bringing the right one, disappeared. We only saw her two or three other times the whole dinner. The noise level was pretty high, but she spoke softly and quickly and we missed most of what she said. The food was good, but the price was very high for the ambience and the service level. Dinner for 4 with drinks and dessert was $284.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014Very charming young man was our server. Cute personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good LunchSFCAVIPDined on 11/19/2014After living in San Francisco for 45 years I recently discovered Scala's Bistro. I had the prix fixe menu, $25, with soup, pesto ravioli and a chocolate ice cream. I also ordered a box of chocolates to take with me. The chocolates are not available anywhere else and are unique. The dining room is quite marvelous with a spectacular high ceiling. I think it is art deco. It is a very pleasant area to dine in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- cumin999Dined on 11/17/2014The food was very good but in SF there are so many places that I am guessing that my wife and I would probably try another place. We were treated great though and it was my wife's birthday..........Scala did not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gone downhillKittenDined on 11/17/2014Scala's is a physically beautiful restaurant. I have had the pleasure of having many meals there over the years. Unfortunately my last visit was very disappointing with regard to my meal. I was barely passable. Over cooked, uninspiring and definitely below the restaurants standard.Special Features:
- Saturday nightAprilbaby2000Dined on 11/15/2014We started with the oysters which were extremely small for 6 at $18 it was a very sad offering. I would not recommend unless you ask what size they are first. Never had them so small before. The sausage pizza was good but found the crust to be a bit soggy. Not sure I would order that again also. The entrees were the duck and whole bone in sole fish. Both entrees were good and would order them again. The sides of Brussel sprouts w/pancetta was great. Server was great but the entrees too a very long time to brought to table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oldie but a GoodieBellaDonnaDined on 11/15/2014I just love Scala's Bistro. It's old school San Francisco. The atmosphere is beautiful, the service friendly if stretched a bit too thin. The food is consistently above average. Their Cesare salad is always wonderful. This time my scallop risotto was a little too cool. Perhaps it was because they were lacking servers? Drinks as always were outstanding and innovative. Never too strong or too weak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PBLBGDined on 11/15/2014The abience is the best part about Scala's. It is noisy but that's to be expected. Personally, I'd like to see more salad choices and more interesting ones at lunch time. The location makes it perfect for having lunch if you're shopping and spending the day in Union Square and downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, good wine selection, lively and fun!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/14/2014If you are looking for a quiet place for an intimate dinner this isn't the place for you. But if you want a great meal, with great food come to Scala's. We enjoyed everything we ate - moules frites, spaghetti, risotto, and the poached pear with panna cotta. The atmosphere is French Bistro and the food is an Italian/French blend. Good dinner after a day's shopping. Very busy, so book ahead.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ItalianGinnyDined on 11/14/2014What a find. Food good. Every one was so nice. Looking forward to eating there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so good this timeOwanecoDined on 11/14/2014Been there 3 - 4 times over the last few years. Always had been impressed until this last visit. I understand that duck is very hard to cook, but I have had it here before and it was great. This time I could not finish it, it was so stringy. My wife's pasta dish was very salty. Not sure if we just caught them on a bad Friday night or if something has changed. Not sure if I will give them another chance.
- Scala used to be better - now coastingLouisVIPDined on 11/14/2014The food is competent but that is all. atmosophere is very nice and service professional. entree prices up to $30 however. have been dining here for 10 years, only reason i would return is if i must be near Union Square / theater, etc.
- One of our favorite spotsFoodieVIPDined on 11/13/2014On a shopping trip in SF, we splurged on dinner at Scalas. Thanks to Open Table, we got a reservation (I noticed as people walked in the wait was several hours). We both enjoyed our pasta dishes and a special dinner at Scalas. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner before theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014Great for dinner before theater. Must have reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- safe choicehattDined on 11/9/2014prices reflect the premium location. always a safe bet. food is A- B+. you get the idea that it is always a bit chaotic. if you order medium rare expect to end up with a well done or maybe the reverse could be true as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo loud and hotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/9/2014Made a reservation here due to great ratings on Open Table only to be badly surprised by the temperature and noise. The noise level rivaled some of the nightclubs that I have been to in Las Vegas. So loud that it was a struggle to hear our server standing next to our table. And it was very hot the whole time we were there. The positive was that the food was very good. I hate to give bad ratings but we couldn't wait to get out of there and I can't recommend to anyone who wants a good meal with a pleasant atmosphere. However, if you don't mind the negatives that I mention here, the food really was very good.
- Scala's BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The food was outstanding from start to finish and the staff were very friendly and took care of our ever request.Special Features:
- good food sub-par serviceanneVIPDined on 11/8/2014The food was good but our waitress was nowhere to be found once she took our order. We had to find someone else to take our payment, and he let us know it wasn't his responsibility but he would "try to figure it out." Really? All that for $300. Yea me!
- TheBGirlVIPDined on 11/7/2014We have been going to this restaurant for over 10 years, the food is always "spot on". We visited this past weekend for our 39th Anniversary. It was so impressive they printed "Happy 39th Anniversary" on the menu for us, classy! But we experienced the slowest server I have every seen. It took 15 before we even got water. The service was so slow, after appetizers we left and never ordered dinner, we were too tired! This is NOT the norm for this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious FoodJohnRVIPDined on 11/6/2014We have been going to Scala for years and have always enjoyed it, particularly for a pre-theater dinner. It was always reliable and the food was good. However this week we went for the first time since Spring and they have upped their game dramatically with a revised menu and the best food we have had there in years. We left quite impressed with the changes. Well done, Scala.Special Features:
- Fantastic restaurantmyruceDined on 11/1/2014This was a was a great restaurant the host, food and service was fantastic. This is a good place if you like to hang out near union square with a group, a party or just the two of you. They have great selection of wine and alcoholic drinks. Our server was the best he was checking on us the whole time making sure that we didn't need anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingBeautyDined on 11/1/2014I love Scala and in general the food is very good however This time I ordered the chicken and it was bad. too much staff put together completely unrelated i would rate my dish at 2 however my daughter had a nice salad and a tasty soup.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/31/2014Reliable and professional atmosphere, especially for breakfast and brunch, which is when I most invite guests during the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well, it is in a hotel...IndaknowVIPDined on 10/30/2014Kind of a mixed bag - it is in a hotel, it's loud and noisy, service was pretty good, seating was tight in a small booth ::: Ordered an eggplant pizza, at $17 it wasn't cheap, crust was okay, eggplant tasty, cheese refused to melt - HUH? ::: Two pasta dishes, the pappardelle with pork sugo was good, the ravoli with lemon cream sauce okay ::: Swordfish properly cooked, very schizophrenic presentation - mushy heirloom tomatoes, broth, capers, past-prime italian parsley, other unknown ingredients - the classic indication of a hotel restaurant trying to be hip but lacking in the tightness of a restaurant-only restaurant ::: Rather pricey for what it was, kind of a big Meh...
- DandollyDandollyDined on 10/25/2014A great place very friendly and wonderful food. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for birthday celebrationVive2justVIPDined on 10/25/2014warmth and hospitality and food choices for birthday celebration.Special Features:
- Fun timesJulieBrown0428Dined on 10/25/2014Good food with very fast service! Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meeting Old FriendsNevertobeforgottenDined on 10/25/2014Our foursome thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the La Scala. We had dined there when we stayed at the Sir Francis Drake next door several years ago. And we found the service, food served and ambiance exactly the way we remembered it. The wait staff was attentive and helpful without being intrusive on our party. The food was well-prepared and presented, and delicious. Lastly, our accommodating waitress allowed us to have some fun with the desserts. A thoroughly enjoyable time without it costing a lot. Thank you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2014The food is okay. The service and atmosphere is fantastic. So I have mixed feelings about this. I wouldn't my girlfriend back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningsmithbergerDined on 10/24/2014A lovely meal in a beautiful restaurant. Booths and tables that were not jammed together. Great San Francisco decor. Great wine list and fantastic food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fince EveningShirlgirlDined on 10/24/2014All 8 of us, grandmothers, daughters, grand daughters enjoyed food, ambience and much laughter. Memorable. the waitperson (Sarah, I think) was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "The Opposite of Bland"SkierJaneDined on 10/23/2014We had dined at the ultra expensive "Sante" restaurant at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, and this place blew it out of the water, with both quality of meal and value for the money. We started with an entree which we shared as an appetizer, the Risotto with Duck Confit. It was amazing! I followed this with an Heirloom Tomato Salad and Fish Chowder. My husband had the Duck entree. He said it was the best duck he had ever had. It was perfectly prepared, with its skin deliciously crusty on top. At some point in the meal I shared with him that this meal was the opposite of bland. Everything had such marvelous flavor. The service was fantastic. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant experienceTerjeWDined on 10/23/2014We used Scalas for lunch and several breakfasts while in San Fransisco. A very relaxing place with excellent food, service and very nice decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- serverSparkyDined on 10/23/2014Our server was wonderful, knew we had a concert to attend and got us out at the time we requested. All so the food and his suggestions were just what we wanted.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/22/2014Another awesome dinning experience. From teh amazing heirloom tomatoes ( must try) to the sole food was just yumm!. Great wine list and as always an amazingly good level of servcie from all staff.Special Features: