432 Powell St.
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.scalasbistro.com/
- Phone: 4153958555x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday 7:00am to 10:30am,
Weekend Breakfast: 8:00am to 10:30am
Brunch: 10am to 2pm - Sat and Sun
Lunch 11:30am to 3:00pm - Daily
Dinner 5:15pm to 11:00pm - Daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Californian, French
- Executive Chef: Larry Finn
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
We can easily accommodate all types of meetings, business functions, social events and wedding celebrations.
- Special Events: Please contact Steven Thrun for any private dining needs at 415-395-8506 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from Scala's Bistro
Since 1995, Scala's Bistro has garnered a reputation for classic, elegant dining. Warm, earth tones, original murals, beaded bistro lamps, and rich, mahogany booths evoke a dramatic Old World café. Fresh, innovative, Italian and Mediterranean-inspired dishes enhance the Scala’s menu while continuing to pay homage to the old Scala’s favorites.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Scala's Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
286 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (111)neighborhood gem (101)special occasion (91)great for lunch (67)romantic (60)notable wine list (58)good for groups (44)hot spot (42)vibrant bar scene (39)late-night find (33)great for brunch (32)kid-friendly (11)scenic view (5)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Date with my daughterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/20/2014The best part about my experience was that I was with my daughter..I was visiting her and we went to the theater. The food was amazing and he waiter was funny and professional at the same time. The food was superb! My daughter lives in the city and mentioned that she will come here again with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Favorite Place to MeetMandyDined on 9/19/2014Scala's Bistro is our go-to place in San Francisco.....super easy to get to, great menu and ambiance, and the hostess always remembers us! So many family gatherings......just swell!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner in the Wine CellarDeliciousandNutritiousVIPDined on 9/19/2014We asked for a quiet corner for four and were offered a corner in the wine cellar, which was just perfect! The room is usually just for large groups but there was room for us and we loved the privacy and quiet. Our dinners were all so delicious, and the service was lovely. The halibut dish sounded so good that we all ordered it and we were not disappointed! We had four different salads and they were all delicious and very ample. Dessert did not disappoint either!Special Features:
- Business Dinner ++JenerRussDined on 9/17/2014Great service- very friendly (VERY animated) server- very knowledgeable. Everything was delicious- very consistent!! GREAT = Reliable-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationKoreanDined on 9/15/2014Dinner for six wS a dream come true! Great food, wonderful service, good friends and handsome wait staff! I couldn't have wished for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great Food!MerrieVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is one our favorite places in San Francisco. We've always had great food and excellent service and this time was no exception. We ordered the pappardelle pasta and the halibut. So good! And we love the ambience and the old charm.Special Features:
- DelightfulStumpyDined on 9/12/2014Staff is wonderful. We reserved for 3; one did not show. No problem. Only problem was the closeness of the table area. I took off my jacket and clobbered woman at next table.Special Features:
- Would ReturnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Food was tasty. We were received very well. The server was quite attentive. the mixed fried was TERRIBLE. Very little Calimari and it was greasy. I remember it being a signature appetizer. ron macaruso
- Watch the world pass by2KlecksVIPDined on 9/12/2014One of our favorite spots downtown for lunch or early dinner. Good food & wine. Nice ambiance. And when the table's available, a good window on the comings and goings on Powell Street. Hanger Steak was perfection. Halibut was delicious. And Chicken Caesar Salad hit the spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Bad ServiceFredUnoDined on 9/12/2014The food was reasonably good, however the service was awful. Plates were removed from our table without the server asking if we were through eating that dish. At times the server would just appear at our table and start taking away dishes without saying anything.
- One of my LONG TIME FavsdaddybearDined on 9/8/2014When I lived in SF this was my go-to place for special events i.e anniversaries but I moved away 10 years ago. I happened to be back in SF for a conference and invited three of my colleagues to dinner there. It was wonderful to find that Scala's was still a wonderful place to take guests with food that drew 'oh's' and 'ah's'. This will always be my go-to when I am back in the CitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHumma1965Dined on 9/7/2014Everything here is local, organic, made on site like their excellent pastas. A real gem.Special Features:
- Poor ServicebadserviceDined on 9/6/2014The food was decent, but the service was terrible. It was a busy night in the city and it appeared the restaurant did not have enough help on to handle the numbers. After our initial drink order which took some time, our waitress never came back to the table to see how things were and if we were in need of anything else. When she did finally take our dinner order, she did not put my husbands order in so we were short one meal when the order finally came out. It was bad and there were no apologies made.
- Great for sinner and a playDineNPlayDined on 9/6/2014Great food, great service, and good wine selectionSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!MichaelDined on 9/5/2014We took a friend visiting from out of town who was in the mood for pasta. Scala's was perfect. From the minute we walked in the door everyone and everything was great. Great service and wonderful food! Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent San Francisco CharmGeoMacSFVIPDined on 9/5/2014We've been going to Scala Bistro for some time now and each experience builds upon the last. Your greeted by a lovely staff that takes the interaction between customer and restauranteur seriously and with grace. The menu is always different, with some classics that you can depend upon. I recently had the Pork Chop and it was prepared perfectly, plated professionally, and presented with pride. Don't miss the opportunity to try Scala Bistro - but don't try do do so without a reservation.Special Features:
- Food mostly good, service lackingCarolCVIPDined on 9/5/2014While my companions loved the mussels and tender, perfectly grilled pork chop and I loved the generous Margherita pizzette and nicely-prepared Caesar salad, my plain spaghetti with marinara and cheese tasted soapy. The chef was kind to substitute marinara for cherry tomatoes, which I can't have, but the dish had an odd flavor. Service uneven, spotty. Never got bread but other tables did. An inordinately long wait before main course. Delicious coffee; desserts mostly had nuts or seeds and I can't have either. When our (older) waiter asked how food was I praised the other dishes but said the pasta wasn't very good--he didn't respond, just stared at me blankly. The corner booth we were in made hearing almost impossible. No reason to return.Special Features:
- Nice eveningJohn3Dined on 9/4/2014We were seated in the back dinning room near a window, very intimate and nice atmosphere. Service was very attentive, wait staff knew the wines well. Food was perfect. I would highly recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServicceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/3/2014When I arrived I asked for the ladies room. The hostess told me to take the elevator up a floor. I waited for the elevator which didn't seem to work. The hostess saw me waiting but didn't address it. I waited and waited then I asked a server for help as I thought it seemed it wasn't working. He showed me how to go through the hotel lobby up some stairs. When I came back to my table my menu was gone, I suppose because the process of using the restroom took so long. I told the hostess that my menu is gone and about the elevator. She says oh well I just turned the elevator on. No apology or anything that she sent me to a turned off elevator and left me stranded. The service was awful too. Served coffee but didn't bring milk, and very slow.
- Great location, amazing foodJillDined on 9/2/2014I have dined here several times with friends. Everything we ordered was beautifully presented, perfectly seasoned, and had interesting - not weird- combinations of flavors. We were all served at the same time and all the dishes were freshly prepared and piping hot. Service was attentive but not obtrusive. Nice wine list. The bistro is adjacent to the Sir Francis Drake hotel on Powell, close to Union squareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Accommodating and fun staffCoachnmimiDined on 9/2/2014After two unexpected guests arrived after we had already been seated, we were promptly shown to a table for six. Table seemed cramped at first but proved to be great for conversation. We ordered six different dinners and we were all pleased. Wait staff was very lighthearted and playful and quite efficient.Special Features:
- Coming from a fellow ownerLangerDined on 9/1/2014The service was good the place was overcrowded and too noisey. Had the potential to be romantic but how could it be when people are tripping over each other and you can't even hear your partner let alone your server. Seemed to be a fast food Italian restaraunt versus a comfortable unique dining experience. In all honesty it will not be a memorable one. So when my wife and I think back we will not remember this meal. Which is brutal as it was my wife's birthday meal too. Had more of a diner feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food in great ambienceWineSQNDined on 8/31/2014We enjoyed the food in this special ambience, big rooms with high ceilings. Wine list was very good. Will be on my restaurant list for the next trip to San Francisco.Special Features:
- Non TouristyNYChungryDined on 8/31/2014Food was delicious!!! Considering that this restaurant was not even a block away from Union Square in San Francisco, a highly trafficked tourist area it obviously had high standards for it's food, service and decor. We were pleasantly surprised and will return next time we visit this area.Special Features:
- use2bperussehappyeaterDined on 8/31/2014We have dined several times but thr good run ran out. We were seated near the kitchen and servers were continually circling our table and bumping our chairs. We did have a reservation not just a walk in. Both the pork chop and halibut were over cooked, the evening was save by the service but we will be finding a new go to spot for awhile.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Authentic Italian food - fresh and flavorful! May as well book your next reservation before you leave there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scala Scales the top of list againSelvaDined on 8/30/2014My group was in SFO for a week and we had the best service and food that i have tasted. The ambiance was great and while they have rained at the greatest service level ever. I was here before…two years ago. So next time in SFO it will scala again for a meal and great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Birthday DinnerdawnsmithDined on 8/30/2014My husband & I were in SF for vacation and visited Scala's on a recommendation. We were celebrating my husband's birthday. Upon going into Scala's we told them we had a reservation and when they pulled our menus, the staff immediately wished my husband a happy birthday, even the menus were printed Happy Birthday, Dennis! The server was awesome and made recommendations, which were greatly appreciated. We both enjoyed our food. The flavor and taste was incredible. I would highly recommend them when in town. Service, atmosphere and food were all top notch!Special Features:
- A Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014We had very good food, excellent service and a fun evening. I would not recommend this for a romantic evening. Bar is close to the dining areas and is more old-school charm with dark walled interior. We were seated near the entrance and had good light and not a lot of hustle and bustle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic S.F. restaurantDaveVIPDined on 8/28/2014Scala's Bistro is a San Francisco classic - always a warm greeting from Natalie, the maitre d' and a wonderful booth close to where the twins could be seen regularly "back in the day". The ceasar salad with white anchovies is at the top of our list for starters along with a combination of ravioli, both lemon and tomato along with a pizza. We recommend the wonderful California wines which always complement our meal. Our kudos to the head chef, manager, and all of the professional and friendly staff of Scala's Bistro for making it one of our top destinations over the last 15 years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Only complaint that it took a while for entree to arrive otherwise, a lovely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/28/2014My husband and I recently had dinner here. The staff were welcoming and attentive, but sadly the food did not equal the level of service. I ordered the salmon and it was overcooked, dry and inedible. Soooo disappointed.
- ExcellentDutchVIPDined on 8/26/2014Service is friendly and professional. Atmosphere is upscale Parisian bistro. Lighting and noise level aren't great, especially for anyone with the usual vision and hearing deterioration of age; but that seems to be par for the course these days: if you can read the menu without a flashlight or hear your companions without cupping your ear, it must be an Olive Garden. (Age discrimination class action, anyone?) The food was terrific. The batter for my fritto misto appetizer was light, crunchy and nearly oil-free. The saffron pappardelle with clams was truly al dente with a wonderfully-balance sauce that complemented the clams. Friends had an excellent tomato/watermelon salad and a different pasta dish, equally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy!!!mangiabeneDined on 8/24/2014We found the restaurant extremely noisy. I wouldn't call it energetic (noise level rating above), I'd call it plain old 'bad'. Although the food was good, I would not go again as I like to hear what my table mates are saying and be able to carry on a conversation. Also, the lighting was too low. We had to use a flashlight to read the menu, even our young guests. I think they have crowded in too many tables. The waitress (small young lady) accidentally knocked over a wine glass on the table next to us as she stood between the two tables. We sat at the bench-chairs table. A diner does not care to see the backside of a wait person so close to their table.
- lunch before the showbellacucina55Dined on 8/24/2014I have always enjoyed Scala's Bistro. It is a great spot before seeing a show in the city or stopping in to have lunch while shopping. The food is good, consistent, with a varied menu.Special Features:
- nothing specialserviceDined on 8/23/2014food was good, nothing to write home about. waiter was mono tone with no personality, but ok if your a robot.
- Anniversary DinnerexPasoResidentDined on 8/23/2014Whenever my wife and I are in San Francisco we dine at Scala's at least once. We arrived early and went to the bar. The service was great and the drinks were perfect! When we sat for dinner we felt like family, Anda was very friendly and gave great service. If you are near Union Square, stop by Scala's, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Lackluster service on 8/23/14byronrx2Dined on 8/23/2014Waiter was disappointing. Wasn't really engaged in serving us and had a rather disinterested attitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scala's A MustKarenahDined on 8/23/2014Scala's Restaurant has a fantastic chef who prepares the freshest, tastiest food you could ever want. No matter what you select from the menu, it's guaranteed to be delicious!Special Features:
- Scala's is climbing high!Roo2614Dined on 8/22/2014Great restaurant in every way! Service, food, ambiance! Located downtown, makes it easy to park, two garages very near. Cable cars passing through, San Francisco vibe at its best! We found that the food has been improved, even though it was always good. Now, we think the food at Scala's is climbing to new heights! Good job! We will be back and bring friends and guests from out of town.Special Features: