208 Court Ave
Des Moines, IA 50309Neighborhood:
Downtown Des Moines
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://sbroccowine.com/
- Phone: 515-282-3663x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Monday ~ 4:00p-9:00p, Tuesday-Saturday ~ 4:00p-10:00p
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Aaron Holt
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our Chef's Cellar is available for a variety of events, from full coursed dinners to cocktail parties, wine tastings to open-house receptions. We like to keep the parties personal, & with our seasonal menus made with local ingredients, you're always sure to impress when you book with Sbrocco.
- Private Party Contact: Sara Middleton 515-282-3663x
- Special Events: Monthly chef themed dinners
Monthly wine tastings
Annual Holiday Wine Show
A word from Sbrocco
Sbrocco is Des Moines’ best one stop shop for all things food & wine. We are a neighborhood restaurant, wine bar, & retail wine shop where friends can come together & enjoy the best things in life: great wine, great food, & great company in an informal, yet sophisticated setting. We created a restaurant that would emphasize fresh, local foods carefully prepared & matched with excellent wines & top notch service. Stop in on the weekend for a coursed dinner, before a show for appetizers with friends or on a weeknight for a 4oz. wine pour and something easy from our "Lighter Fare" menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sbrocco reviews from OpenTable diners
- Swan SongTRexDined on 3/15/2014Sadly, 3/15/2014 was the final day Sbrocco was open for business. We have many good memories there, and are sad to see them close.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDjjulesDined on 3/8/2014Great food, great wine, excellent waiter! I had the duck, delicious. My dining partner had the spicy salmon with seafood risotto, there was not a bite left on her plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but Not Great—has PotentialGusteauDined on 3/7/2014The interesting online modern American menu was dated, but similar. Upon entering, we immediately realized this was a wine bar that serves food more than a restaurant serving wine. Our server was very friendly (almost trying too hard) and courteous. We started with the truffled frites which were perfectly fried French though the seasoning we felt did not add anything to the fries, but perhaps detracted. I had short ribs brazed in a wine-chocolate sauce which was excellent (though the fingerling potatoes and baby carrots were just a bit under done). My wife had a beef fettuccini dish which was OK but not very flavorful (the crimini mushrooms were MIA) in an all too bland alfredo sauce. We'd like to return to try their burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommendfreetimefoodieDined on 2/22/2014Overall we had a great dining experience. We shared a cheese/meat platter as an appetizer with our first glass of wine and had the Iowa Pork and Filet mignon for our entrees. We shared the espresso crème brulee for dessert, which was fabulous! The service was good. My only complaint would be that the server went out for a cigarette and when he came back to our table reeked of smoke as he leaned over me (as opposed to coming to the side of the table so he would not have to lean over me) to refill my water. Smoke-smell is not appetizing so it was difficult to finish my dinner after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Civic Center eventsBillyBooDined on 2/21/2014We ate at Sbrocco before our Civic Center event. We were asked if we were attending an event and when we indicated we were they made sure they had plenty of time to provide us a great meal. The service was good, however, the server missed our request for a second glass of wine. We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Show DinnerLeslieDined on 2/19/2014We had dinner at Sbrocco prior to a show at the Civic Center. One of the first questions our server (Chris) asked was if we were going to a show and what time we wanted to head over to the venue. I appreciated that he was mindful of our time. He was also very helpful with our wine selection. Food was wonderful, service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Save room for Dessert!DSMDinerDined on 2/15/2014We loved our anniversary (45th) dinner at Sbrocco. The food was delicious and just the right amount. The wine list was impressive, and reasonably priced. I especially liked the French wine flight with my luscious lamb chops. My husband is still raving about his crème brulee flavored with espresso and blueberries! Our waitress was very attentive and paced things just right. It was a wonderful evening, and too nice to save just for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day with my BrideCyberJJJDined on 2/14/2014My wife & I had never been to this restaurant, so used the occassion to try something new. Overall we had a very nice experience and will go back. I reserved this via Open Table a couple of weeks in advance as I was going to be out of town. I received a call a few days ahead of the event confirming the reservationa and reminding me this was limited to a two-hour seating, which seemed less informative and more telling. I would say that was more reflective of the personality of the hostess rather than endemic in their service model. We really liked our waitress, informative but not stiff. Greek chicken was great, stuffed pork chop good by slightly overcooked, and the wine flights were fun. Great place for drinks before a Civic Center Show.Special Features:
- Great FoodMsredDined on 1/31/2014The food at Sbrocco was extremely tasty. We had the Hummus platter, which consisted of 3 types of Hummus one of them being Peanut Butter and Jelly. We were skeptical, but it was actually wonderful. (Would like to find a recipe for my kids.) Next was the Vichyssoise. Once again, excellent. My main entree' was Halibut w/ creamy Italian polenta, vegetable saute, tomato concasse & arugula pesto. Each item had it's own distinct flavor, but all complimented each other, meeting my criteria for a savory dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I just love this restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/16/2014I just love this restaurant! Food is inventive and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendships FormedBack4moreDined on 1/10/2014We chose Sbrocco for a meal with special friends. From the Scallop squash soup, the filet, the fresh halibut, to the shank the food was perfectly cooked and delivered in just the right amount of time. We were visited by our waitress several times to check on us without pressure. I'm hopefully getting the wine club membership for my birthday because its a great deal and it will keep me coming back for more. Not crowded the night we went in but you could really tell everyone was enjoying themselves. Their wine selections are from all over the world which allows you to experience different varieties right here in IA. Neat place, clean, staff is super friendly and the prices are good for the whole experience. Thanks Sbrocco. kSpecial Features:
- deliciousHarmsDined on 1/3/2014I had a stuffed pork chop that was INCREDIBLE. The spinach/beet salad was delicious as well. Service was great. It was a cold night so a little light on patrons. GREAT restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Premade in Anticipation of NYEnuewDined on 12/31/2013Haven't been here for quite awhile. Made reservations for NYE dinner. Wine was good. Appetizers were luke warm at best and seemed to have an out-of-box quality. Soups were good, but again luke warm. Entrees were ok, but again they were just warm. In fact the couscous and veggies had that made and rewarmed in microwave quality to them. Service was great, but it was as if they anticipated a huge rush and pre-made everything and it had been sitting and rewarmed when needed. Definitely didn't have that freshly prepared just for your order quality. Have had much, much better meals at restaurants in area that are much more consistent (Latin King, Django, Exile, Greenbriar). Perhaps an off night, but didn't excite me about a return.Special Features:
- New Years Eve at SbroccoCarlaDined on 12/31/2013There was lots to love about this evening. They take reservations. We got in at our appointed time. They served their normal, varying, amazing menu, not an overdone 6 course extravaganza. The wine was amazing! I had the salmon and my husband the filet with steak frites. Both were done to perfection. The service is friendly and professional, as always. This is a favorite restaurant, we have been there many times, and we will continue enjoy it, in 2014 and beyond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYE2013 - Won't go back.NYE2013Dined on 12/31/2013Reservation was for 4 people for 8pm. When we arrived we could see the table was clear but it took the hostess 10minutes just to seat us and it was not busy. The waitress was horrible - took 45 minutes for her to take our order. 1 member of our party is pregnant and ordered a virgin drink and the waitress brought out something else. When she was questioned on it she got upset and stated that they were out of engredients so she mixed something else up instead. This was sent back and the waitress was not happy about it. Food came out and although the presentation was good the food was just ok - risotto was undercooked and the portion size (keep in mind I'm a 5' 11" - 155lb man) was so small of the airline chicken that I left hungry.
- Great NYE DinnerGalsaraDined on 12/31/2013Sbrocco had been on our try list for a while so we decided to give it a try for NYE. Great food and service! The prices were on market and we enjoyed everything. It will be worked into our dinner rotation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck entree was fabulous.DjjulesDined on 12/31/2013Duck entree was fabulous. Not a single bite left on my plate! Can't wait to eat there again. Definitely a top spot to dine in Des Moines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food wasn't cold but.....ShopnddineDined on 12/31/2013We were seated by the entrance door and a double floor to ceiling window and literally my feet were frostbit by the time we left. Service was very slow; we sat at our table literally 15 minutes before being acknowledged. Yes they were very busy but obviously very understaffed and over booked, no one should be seated where we were without at least a space heater. The food was good but didn't quite make up for the other service failures.Special Features:
- Great wine, great fooddeliciousdish27VIPDined on 12/28/2013Long wine list and the food is delicious! I had the spicy salmon and practically licked my plate clean. My boyfriend had the pork chop and it was just as good. Definitely give this place a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Des MoinesBrooksDined on 12/14/2013We've been waiting to go to Sbrocco & it was well worth the wait!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was slow but the serverJLHADined on 11/29/2013Service was slow but the server was very nice. They were out of multiple standard features on the menu and were served burnt food and slow follow-up to correct. Also served incorrect beer. Always had a good experience here but this night it was way off the mark and will not return for some time.
- Court Street GemthegirlwhoateDined on 11/22/2013I love going to Sbrocco! It has a fantastic bar setting with excellent quality wines. The menu offers a unique delightful array of dishes, whether you are looking for a light nosh or a hearty meal. And the ambience is warm and welcoming with restored pieces incorporated into the decor, yet quite sophisticated. Also, the background music is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you haven't been here--GO NOWOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2013This may be the best restaurant in Des Moines!!! I had the salmon--perfectly prepared!!Special Features:
- great meals, locally sourcedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013The service was awesome, I had mistakenly reserved a table for two but needed three. The hostess went out of her way and apologized - but it was MY mistake!! She was so nice and sweet and went out of her way. The menu seemed almost all local meats and vegetables. And they prepared them excellently. I was surprised at the portion size- more generous than I had remembered from my last visit. I'd recommend going on a night when there is a show at the civic center, and go a little after show time. Once the theater-goers clear out you can have a well paced relaxed meal, enjoy their delicious wine list, and stay for desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely seasonal menu optionsWorthitDined on 11/2/2013Lovely seasonal menu options for the fall! Love the fact that many of their menu items are from local Iowa farms. I would go back just for the carrot/yam hummus! Overall - wine, food, service was absolutely perfect! I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extensive wine list and knowledgeabReviewerDined on 11/2/2013Extensive wine list and knowledgeable waitress. Food was decent, but a little pricey for the quality. Seems better for drinks and appetizers than a full meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before the theater.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Great airline chicken and wonderful service. Had great time ing because we were in a hurry for the theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner at SbroccoAlanDined on 11/1/2013We have been at Sbrocco several times for late evening desert and wine. This was our first experience for dinner. As always, the wait staff was excellent. Our server helped us with a wine selection that met both of our needs (sweet for my wife and dryer for me). Food was excellent and the serving sizes just right. We had the mixed cheese tray as an appetizer. some very interesting cheeses along with spiced chick peas and some other vegtables. For our main course, my wife had the special which was bacon wrapped scallops over rissotto. She had the small portion which was 2 scallops. I had the samon mac-n-cheese, and also the Market Salad. All of the food was excellent and hot when brought to the table. Overall excellent.Special Features:
- mid week dinnermeettoeatDined on 10/9/2013I was disappointed that some items on the menu were not available on the night we visited this restaurant.
- DinnerRobeyDined on 10/5/2013My husband and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner on Saturday night. I had the carrot ginger soup to start with and it was delicious. My husband had the vegetable soup that was a little spicy, but he enjoyed it. We had a very nice bottle of French wine. The tenderloin medallion dinner was cooked to order and very flavorful, my halibut was perfect and the presentation with the parchment paper was very nice. The surry spread on the halibut only increased the flavors. Everything was perfect. Our server was very attentive and she was extremely busy. Cheyanne was her name and she was great! We certainly would ask for her again. Our cudos to the chef and staff!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2013 restaurant weekOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2013On the special restaurant week menu the pork was excellent, the salmon was okay. I have eaten at the restaurant several time and some things on the menu are really really good and some are unremarkable. There is an extensive wine list. My friends and I picked a day and time to take advantage of he $5 happy hour wine only to be told that is only available at the bar, not at the dining tables.Special Features:
- Our 1st time to Sbrocco andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2013Our 1st time to Sbrocco and we were very pleased. Jeremiah was a great server, very knowledgeable. He made a great wine suggestion, a French rose that wasn't even on the menu. My husband had the day's special, a seafood pasta, that was so good he wished he had a spoon to finish all of the remaining broth. My half order of scallops & risotto was a perfect size & very tasty. Both our salads, caesar & toasted goat chese, were very good and a nice size. A great 20 yr port for after dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Personal FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013I discovered Sbrocco late 2007 before a deployment. Have always enjoyed the quality and diversity of the food served. The types of food on the menu are unique to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to Sbrocco andWHO0TERDined on 7/27/2013First trip to Sbrocco and I was impressed. I like to seek recommendations from the servers and Jeremish did not disappoint. I was trying to decide between two dishes and he came up with a complete alternative. The Duck. I am so glad he suggested it as it was outstanding. Perfectly cooked. The sage potatos had the perfect amount of sage. Enough to taste it, but not too much to overpower. My wife had lamb and it was very good. He even suggested the perfect wine. It enhanced the food flavors. Can't wait to go back again.Special Features:
- DeliciousdeskidDined on 7/19/2013I used the word delicious for just about everything I experienced during our meal. The wine selections and pairings with such, well, delicious food. Start to finish. Backed with some solid and knowledgeable service from lovely people. So glad I finally made it in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Des Moines' bestJudgeVIPDined on 7/12/2013The decor is creative and fun. The service was great. Nice wine. Flatbread was a nice starter. Wonderful piece of fish for my partner, and I had the very tender duck.Then a short walk to see the I-Cubs!Special Features:
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/8/2013We was really excited to try Sbrocco and we were weren't disappointed. Everything was wonderful. My wife had the Steak Frites and I had the Burger Sbrocco and they were both awesome. She said it was one of the best steaks she's ever had. The burger was amazing, maybe just a half notch below The Gramercy's, but at least a full step above D'Jango's. The wine flights were a lot of fun. We started with the meat and cheese tray and it was wonderful. Service was great. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special pay/back supper/thumbs up!finewinoDined on 7/3/2013My excellent server listened to my plan, took down the info, and made it happen. My guests were able to select the wine we eventually drank from the 3-glass-flight offered. We consumed the flight and two bottles of our favorite choice. The opportunity to order apps, small plates, and half-size portions made the experience like a summer picnic where we all shared (including dessert). The dining experience surpassed my expectations thanks to my terrific server and the quality and presentation of the delicious food from the kitchen. "Sbrocco" is a wonderful wine/bar restaurant in which to hide-out, not feel rushed, and enjoy the food, wine and the company of friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/28/2013We took friends to Sbrocco for the first time last week. We had been there previously and had been telling them how great both the food and the service were. I believe that we had a new server on this visit, and although he tried, he just didn't quite have it all together. We had to ask about the cheeses on the cheese plate we ordered, and the service seemed slow compared to our previous visit. The food was fabulous, and my steak was cooked to perfection. Overall, it was a good meal and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Night, Special PlaceUberwinelover5Dined on 6/18/2013Celebrating 37th Anniversary. Have hosted numerous business gatherings there, but first personal outing for wife at Sbrocco. Personalized and outstanding service, interesting and rewarding food experience. Grilled Salmon on greens of mint & basil-unique & rewarding entree; hummus sampler and veggie flatbread were delicious and innovative and wine flights and cabernet for meal were a "Big Red" lovers delight. Sbrocco provides a great combo of great attendants, wine selections and an ever-changing menu that provides a food adventure rivaling the other Des Moines area venues. Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.