105 Reade Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
Puerto RicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sazonnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 406-1900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
- Executive Chef: Frank Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sazon
After nearly 3 successful years in Midtown Manhattan, owner of Sofrito, Genaro "JR" Morales decided it was time to expand and begin his search for a new location. Shortly thereafter, Sazon was born. An exciting and unique addition to Manhattan's downtown scene, Sazon brings authentic Puerto Rican cuisine to the heart of Tribeca. This dual-level establishment encompasses all the vibrancy and delectability of its sister location but adds a downtown flavor all its own. Open for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch: Sazon offers its patrons a variety of ways to experience Puerto Rican cuisine at its best. Buen ProvechoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sazon reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (28)special occasion (27)hot spot (24)romantic (23)neighborhood gem (18)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (15)late-night find (14)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Enjoying a great nightTStylesDined on 11/17/2014Seating was handled quickly and attention to the table was excellent. Drinks were down within 5 min of sitting and my server Edgar was polite and helpful with descriptions and reccomendations. Food was fresh and quite good. Drinks were strong and the price point average for lower Manhattan. All in all a great venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itlovePRDined on 11/8/2014I loved this place.....food was great, people are nice. ....everything was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud but deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/7/2014The food here was amazing, but the music was really LOUD when we first went in. But once we adjusted the food was delicious and the portions and prices were fair for NYC. The service was also really attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- CharmingGemDined on 11/2/2014Our waiter, Michael, was amazing! He was very professional and attentive. The food was delicious and hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinner at Sazon!MikeQVIPDined on 10/22/2014My wife took me to Sazon for dinner for my birthday. I have to say, it was a great choice. The food was fantastic, the portions are huge and very filling. I has the Pernil with Arroz con Gandules and platanos maduros. My wife had the Tilapia with mashed Yuca with pieces if Lobster. The food was fantastic! The skin on the pernil was crispy - just the way I like it. My wife has allergies to certain foods and the waiter was very sensitive to that, checking in with the chef to make sure there were no issues with any of the courses she ordered. Overall, it was a fantastic experience. We enjoyed the decorations for Halloween, with that holiday right around the corner. I highly recommend Sazon and will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BenihanaVIPDined on 10/21/2014As big as NYC is, it’s not easy to find a good Spanish restaurant with high quality food. Sazon was perfect. The kids loved the appetizers (Popcorn shrimps just melts in your mouth and Quesadillas with skirt steak was yummy) and the steak and Sazon paella was so good. The food and the service was really good.Special Features:
- DiffDineDined on 10/18/2014Upscale classic latin dishes. Vibrant energy with salsa music filling the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hour yes! Dinner, no.RukyoftheyearDined on 10/9/2014The happy hour was amazing. The shrimp empanadas were to die for. The dinner on the other hand was lacking. I had garlic wine shrip and the dish came back cold. I asked for it to be warmed up and the dish still came back cold. Gonna hold off on dinner the next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Familiar food done wellelDonGuapoDined on 8/30/2014Being Puerto Rican, the food strikes all the right notes. While not the same as homemade, it's a very close second. Great service wonderful waitstaff very good food nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BlastOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014My boyfriend took me to Sazon - my choice - for my birthday. It was perfect. Eider, my waiter, was attentive and personable. He made us both feel like special customers. I had the Tri-Fongo and my boyfriend had the Pernil. They were both excellent. The pernil was enough for two and I had the leftovers the next morning. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 👍👌🍷BaileeDined on 8/29/2014Everyone needs to go to know what the 5 stars mean 2nd best Spanish food ever next to the wife's food😉Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slightly disappointing!BiklesVIPDined on 8/21/2014I took 3 friends that had never been there, after I had been raving about the dinosaur portion size of the perfectly cooked lechon. I eat here often and I was elated to find a $95 Groupon for 4 entrees, 2 appetizers and a pitcher of sangria. The waiter informed us that the Groupon only applied to entrees under $25 or we would have to pay the difference. If there were any, we could not find them. Our lechon had shrunk to a third of the size that I typically got. No bone and very small. The appetizers were smaller than usual. The service was poor, but that is typical of the restaurant. In addition, they automatically add a 20% gratuity to your bill to our party of four...perhaps because it was a Groupon. I was very disappointed. No mas!Special Features:
- Excellent Spanish FoodAlTess45Dined on 8/21/2014The service & food were excellent. I definitely will be going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntertainingAdrienneDined on 8/19/2014Great fun, food, and people. Totally satisfied my sweet and spicy craving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of this world empanadasdiehardfoodieDined on 8/15/2014The food for the most part was good or better there were some misses. The fried stuffed taro root was not to my liking was very bland and felt like chewing on fried rubber. The Mofongo which is one the reason I wanted to yry this place was average not that good. I have definitely had better. Now as for the empanadas they were some of the beat O have ever had light crispy dough qith tasy flovarful filling and tangy spicy dipping sauce. Theae alone were worth the experience of having to cross a battalion ogfpolice officers to get into this joint. The clientele seemed like civilized new yorkers the though the police were there to break up a fight . The service here is poor at best the empanadas make it worthwhile to pay this place a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empanadas to the rescue!!YomiDined on 8/15/2014I usually don't get excited over salads, but the skirt steak salad had my jaw on the table. It was like a love affair just thinking about it. You can get 2/$5 delicious beef empanadas with authentic Puerto Rican flavor. The rice with pigeon peas, roasted pork, all of it absolutely divine. Great low key romantic place to dine, or show a friend a good time. You will have a memorable experiance here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, Noisy Reggaeton..? Really..?ninobravoDined on 8/14/2014My date & I sat down for a dinner reservation here and in a matter of minutes we were on our feet and out the door. I've been here once before and enjoyed my experience overall, but since then the place seems to have fallen way off and gotten a lot less like a restaurant and more like a bar in Washington Heights. Loud reggaeton music blasting from the sound system is not my idea of a pleasant dining experience, and while it's more in line with an uptown bar/nightclub scene it has no place in an environment where you're forced to shout across a small table in order to be heard. Even if you DO like that music it's totally not conducive to conversation or a good time in a restaurant. Needless to say, I won't be back. Get it together, guys.
- delicious findkitkatDined on 8/14/2014Amazing service, delicious food ,could use a little help with music in restaurant but awesome lookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SazonConSaborVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Restaurant Week menu was wonderful, the selection was diverse, the drinks were off the chart. Overall great place to go.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The Ceviche was delicious. Dessert, the passion fruit sorbet, was amazing. My shrimp empanada was dry, taking my rating down to 4 stars. However, I love this restaurant chain and knew I would not go wrong bringing a first-time visitor to New York here for great food, music, and conversation.Special Features:
- Great MealTrustMeNewYorkDined on 8/8/2014The food was great as was the service - they didn't have the fish that was advertised in the Restaurant week menu but they accommodated my meal request by offering the same meal at the same price just a different type of fish and it was just as delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little bit moreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014The food was decent and the service was just okay. The dress code was not even enforced. My date was annoyed that he could've worn his sneakers and maybe even shorts. I guess I would recommend it to someone who likes loud restaurants. Not romantic at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGoodeatingDined on 8/6/2014I visited Sazon during Restaurant Week and their Lunch Menu options were Excellent. The waiter was Very Nice. And my Meal was Fantabulous! I would definitely return and recommend Sazon to my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014I came here with a small group of friends . The food was good . I ordered the calamari salad for appetizer ,the pork with rice and sweet platains for my entree and the passion fruit sorbet for dessert . It was absolutely delicious ! The decor was lovely . I like the dim lights . Latin music playing in the background made me want to get up and dance . Our waiter was polite and very nice . Will definitely come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Group DinnersBrooklynVIPDined on 8/5/2014I loved the food and would go back with friends to celebrate and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Food was better then expected I had coconut crusted bassa and it was pretty amazing swiped a taste of my husbands roast pork equally amazing. Service was slacking a little but I almost forgot about it because the music had me bopping and food way popping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was PleasantSoxpuffDined on 8/2/2014Upon arrival was quaint, not many tables were yet occupied with patrons, 7:30PM is still a little early for weekenders on a Saturday night I think, but just for dinner, this is perfect. Our server was pleasant, attentive, and communicated details and requests well. We ordered the pernil y arroz con gondules, sazon pealla, a passion fruit mojito, and the coconut mojito. It was very delicious -almost like grandma's. SO full. Boyfriend was in a food coma and took the rest to go. My only irritation is when 'NY's finest Puerto Rican restaurant' does not always play Puerto Rico's finest music. When an 'upscale' restaurant starts playing EDM or main stream pop music, the ambience as a whole is partially stripped away.Special Features:
- The service was awefulWaisteOftime11Dined on 7/31/2014We felt ignored by the hostess when we arrived, she was distracted, the waiter was worst. He wrote down the order & when we got tired of waiting for the drinks asked him about it, he said he didn't know we ordered drinks and had the nerve to ask us what the drinks were. I wonder why he wrote it down? The food wasn't great& it felt like he forgot about us since we had to wait about 20 min btwn courses to get to the next thing. I guess since the tip was including he didn't care to give us service. Wouldn't go back there for a meal. The bar scene seemed much more interesting.Special Features:
- FoodCrisDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I both ordered the fish entree and it did not seem fresh at all and tasted spoiled.
- terrible experience at SazonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014i never write negative reviews but i went there for lunch last week with team members who were celebrating the departure of a colleague and i was embarrassed to have been the one to recommend sazon. after we placed our order, we waited over an hour for the food to arrive. no one in the entire restaurant had food at their tables and it was clear something was wrong in the kitchen. once the waiters started bringing food out, they couldn't figure out who the dishes belonged to and my specific order was completely messed up - the food was also lukewarm. folks ended up having to leave without eating because they had meetings they couldn't miss. all in all, it was a terrible experience at sazon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2014Absolutely wonderful! Will definitely return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foreveryoung35Dined on 7/29/2014We were celebrating our friends 40th birthday, and I have to say he enjoyed it! The food was great, the staff was amazing and the place was beautiful. I am taking my boyfriend there next!Special Features:
- Viva BoriquaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014Came here with my fiance on a Groupon deal. Nice strong sangria and the pernil was excellent. Would definitely recommend for great authentic Puerto Rican fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet our expectaions!cabrita24Dined on 7/26/2014My shrimps were way overcooked! The service was mediocre and they sold out of the 1 thing that we went there for!Special Features:
- The following 224 reviews are from the Sazon reviews archive.
- Fun AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2014High energy with lower level music and bar. We enjoyed the high energy and selected several appetizers for dinner. Food was not out standing but maybe because we had only appetizers. Would not return but for the younger crowd seems like a fun place.Special Features:
- Pretty goodDJRAwayVIPDined on 7/21/2014Mojitos and service were great. The shrimp empanadas were absent substantive shrimp and dry (so was veggie one). Appetizer shrimp were over cooked. Calamari were outstanding. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BEM27Dined on 7/19/2014I've been to Sazon many times and am never disappointed. The food, service and ambience are fantastic. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Puerto Rican FoodNYCReviewsDined on 7/18/2014If you're looking for some latin food and cannot decide on Mexican, Cuban...etc. Go to Sazon and get yourself some of the best Puerto Rican food in the city. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Interruption by the waiter and foodLuv2eatDined on 7/15/2014We were interrupted by the waiter at least ten times for the 2.5 hours we were there. I could understand rushing us if the place was packed but we took up 2 out of the 50 open seats available. This made us very uncomfortable considering we were talking about personal stuff. This is my third time at this venue and the food has not been the same. I used to love the pernil and the chicken chicharrones, however, both were very dry this time. That was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Not the best mofongogootVIPDined on 7/9/2014I went to Puerto Rico and fell in love with mofongo. I came back to New York and really wanted to find it here - and read about Sazon. I was sadly quite disappointed by the mofongo here. It tasted good - the sauce deliciously salty and garlicky just like I loved in Puerto Rico - but the plantains were not good. They were tough and chewy and hard to eat - rather dry. It was a disappointing meal.