105 Reade Street
New York, NY 10013Neighborhood:
TriBeCa - Downtown
Puerto RicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sazonnyc.com/
- Phone: 2124061900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Puerto Rican
- Executive Chef: Frank Maldonado
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Sazon
After nearly 3 successful years in Midtown Manhattan, owner of Sofrito, Genaro "JR" Morales decided it was time to expand and begin his search for a new location. Shortly thereafter, Sazon was born. An exciting and unique addition to Manhattan's downtown scene, Sazon brings authentic Puerto Rican cuisine to the heart of Tribeca. This dual-level establishment encompasses all the vibrancy and delectability of its sister location but adds a downtown flavor all its own. Open for lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch: Sazon offers its patrons a variety of ways to experience Puerto Rican cuisine at its best. Buen ProvechoContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sazon reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (60)special occasion (50)vibrant bar scene (38)neighborhood gem (34)hot spot (33)fit for foodies (30)romantic (28)great for lunch (23)late-night find (17)great for brunch (17)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Slightly disappointing!BiklesVIPDined on 8/21/2014I took 3 friends that had never been there, after I had been raving about the dinosaur portion size of the perfectly cooked lechon. I eat here often and I was elated to find a $95 Groupon for 4 entrees, 2 appetizers and a pitcher of sangria. The waiter informed us that the Groupon only applied to entrees under $25 or we would have to pay the difference. If there were any, we could not find them. Our lechon had shrunk to a third of the size that I typically got. No bone and very small. The appetizers were smaller than usual. The service was poor, but that is typical of the restaurant. In addition, they automatically add a 20% gratuity to your bill to our party of four...perhaps because it was a Groupon. I was very disappointed. No mas!Special Features:
- Excellent Spanish FoodAlTess45Dined on 8/21/2014The service & food were excellent. I definitely will be going back in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EntertainingAdrienneDined on 8/19/2014Great fun, food, and people. Totally satisfied my sweet and spicy craving.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out of this world empanadasdiehardfoodieDined on 8/15/2014The food for the most part was good or better there were some misses. The fried stuffed taro root was not to my liking was very bland and felt like chewing on fried rubber. The Mofongo which is one the reason I wanted to yry this place was average not that good. I have definitely had better. Now as for the empanadas they were some of the beat O have ever had light crispy dough qith tasy flovarful filling and tangy spicy dipping sauce. Theae alone were worth the experience of having to cross a battalion ogfpolice officers to get into this joint. The clientele seemed like civilized new yorkers the though the police were there to break up a fight . The service here is poor at best the empanadas make it worthwhile to pay this place a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Empanadas to the rescue!!YomiDined on 8/15/2014I usually don't get excited over salads, but the skirt steak salad had my jaw on the table. It was like a love affair just thinking about it. You can get 2/$5 delicious beef empanadas with authentic Puerto Rican flavor. The rice with pigeon peas, roasted pork, all of it absolutely divine. Great low key romantic place to dine, or show a friend a good time. You will have a memorable experiance here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, Noisy Reggaeton..? Really..?ninobravoDined on 8/14/2014My date & I sat down for a dinner reservation here and in a matter of minutes we were on our feet and out the door. I've been here once before and enjoyed my experience overall, but since then the place seems to have fallen way off and gotten a lot less like a restaurant and more like a bar in Washington Heights. Loud reggaeton music blasting from the sound system is not my idea of a pleasant dining experience, and while it's more in line with an uptown bar/nightclub scene it has no place in an environment where you're forced to shout across a small table in order to be heard. Even if you DO like that music it's totally not conducive to conversation or a good time in a restaurant. Needless to say, I won't be back. Get it together, guys.
- delicious findkitkatDined on 8/14/2014Amazing service, delicious food ,could use a little help with music in restaurant but awesome lookSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SazonConSaborVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Restaurant Week menu was wonderful, the selection was diverse, the drinks were off the chart. Overall great place to go.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014The Ceviche was delicious. Dessert, the passion fruit sorbet, was amazing. My shrimp empanada was dry, taking my rating down to 4 stars. However, I love this restaurant chain and knew I would not go wrong bringing a first-time visitor to New York here for great food, music, and conversation.Special Features:
- Great MealTrustMeNewYorkDined on 8/8/2014The food was great as was the service - they didn't have the fish that was advertised in the Restaurant week menu but they accommodated my meal request by offering the same meal at the same price just a different type of fish and it was just as delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected a little bit moreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/7/2014The food was decent and the service was just okay. The dress code was not even enforced. My date was annoyed that he could've worn his sneakers and maybe even shorts. I guess I would recommend it to someone who likes loud restaurants. Not romantic at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGoodeatingDined on 8/6/2014I visited Sazon during Restaurant Week and their Lunch Menu options were Excellent. The waiter was Very Nice. And my Meal was Fantabulous! I would definitely return and recommend Sazon to my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014I came here with a small group of friends . The food was good . I ordered the calamari salad for appetizer ,the pork with rice and sweet platains for my entree and the passion fruit sorbet for dessert . It was absolutely delicious ! The decor was lovely . I like the dim lights . Latin music playing in the background made me want to get up and dance . Our waiter was polite and very nice . Will definitely come back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Group DinnersBrooklynVIPDined on 8/5/2014I loved the food and would go back with friends to celebrate and enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yumOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Food was better then expected I had coconut crusted bassa and it was pretty amazing swiped a taste of my husbands roast pork equally amazing. Service was slacking a little but I almost forgot about it because the music had me bopping and food way popping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was PleasantSoxpuffDined on 8/2/2014Upon arrival was quaint, not many tables were yet occupied with patrons, 7:30PM is still a little early for weekenders on a Saturday night I think, but just for dinner, this is perfect. Our server was pleasant, attentive, and communicated details and requests well. We ordered the pernil y arroz con gondules, sazon pealla, a passion fruit mojito, and the coconut mojito. It was very delicious -almost like grandma's. SO full. Boyfriend was in a food coma and took the rest to go. My only irritation is when 'NY's finest Puerto Rican restaurant' does not always play Puerto Rico's finest music. When an 'upscale' restaurant starts playing EDM or main stream pop music, the ambience as a whole is partially stripped away.Special Features:
- The service was awefulWaisteOftime11Dined on 7/31/2014We felt ignored by the hostess when we arrived, she was distracted, the waiter was worst. He wrote down the order & when we got tired of waiting for the drinks asked him about it, he said he didn't know we ordered drinks and had the nerve to ask us what the drinks were. I wonder why he wrote it down? The food wasn't great& it felt like he forgot about us since we had to wait about 20 min btwn courses to get to the next thing. I guess since the tip was including he didn't care to give us service. Wouldn't go back there for a meal. The bar scene seemed much more interesting.Special Features:
- FoodCrisDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I both ordered the fish entree and it did not seem fresh at all and tasted spoiled.
- terrible experience at SazonOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014i never write negative reviews but i went there for lunch last week with team members who were celebrating the departure of a colleague and i was embarrassed to have been the one to recommend sazon. after we placed our order, we waited over an hour for the food to arrive. no one in the entire restaurant had food at their tables and it was clear something was wrong in the kitchen. once the waiters started bringing food out, they couldn't figure out who the dishes belonged to and my specific order was completely messed up - the food was also lukewarm. folks ended up having to leave without eating because they had meetings they couldn't miss. all in all, it was a terrible experience at sazon.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/30/2014Absolutely wonderful! Will definitely return again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foreveryoung35Dined on 7/29/2014We were celebrating our friends 40th birthday, and I have to say he enjoyed it! The food was great, the staff was amazing and the place was beautiful. I am taking my boyfriend there next!Special Features:
- Viva BoriquaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/28/2014Came here with my fiance on a Groupon deal. Nice strong sangria and the pernil was excellent. Would definitely recommend for great authentic Puerto Rican fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not meet our expectaions!cabrita24Dined on 7/26/2014My shrimps were way overcooked! The service was mediocre and they sold out of the 1 thing that we went there for!Special Features:
- Fun AtmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/24/2014High energy with lower level music and bar. We enjoyed the high energy and selected several appetizers for dinner. Food was not out standing but maybe because we had only appetizers. Would not return but for the younger crowd seems like a fun place.Special Features:
- Pretty goodDJRAwayVIPDined on 7/21/2014Mojitos and service were great. The shrimp empanadas were absent substantive shrimp and dry (so was veggie one). Appetizer shrimp were over cooked. Calamari were outstanding. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BEM27Dined on 7/19/2014I've been to Sazon many times and am never disappointed. The food, service and ambience are fantastic. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Puerto Rican FoodNYCReviewsDined on 7/18/2014If you're looking for some latin food and cannot decide on Mexican, Cuban...etc. Go to Sazon and get yourself some of the best Puerto Rican food in the city. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:
- Interruption by the waiter and foodLuv2eatDined on 7/15/2014We were interrupted by the waiter at least ten times for the 2.5 hours we were there. I could understand rushing us if the place was packed but we took up 2 out of the 50 open seats available. This made us very uncomfortable considering we were talking about personal stuff. This is my third time at this venue and the food has not been the same. I used to love the pernil and the chicken chicharrones, however, both were very dry this time. That was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Not the best mofongogootVIPDined on 7/9/2014I went to Puerto Rico and fell in love with mofongo. I came back to New York and really wanted to find it here - and read about Sazon. I was sadly quite disappointed by the mofongo here. It tasted good - the sauce deliciously salty and garlicky just like I loved in Puerto Rico - but the plantains were not good. They were tough and chewy and hard to eat - rather dry. It was a disappointing meal.
- Stay awayLlocoVIPDined on 7/7/2014The restaurant experience begins with the hostess and in the case of this restaurant, it is a sign of bad things to come. Extremely loud music and unattractive décor.
- The manager is friendly.HazeleyesDined on 7/6/2014Went there and bill was in error but the manager rectified it. He was very pleasant. Food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- too expensiveish1988Dined on 7/4/2014Too much pernil and alittle of rice food was delicious but tlfor the price not worth itSpecial Features:
- BrooklynVIPDined on 6/26/2014I loved Sazon. The food was excellent the vibe was exciting and I would go againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A keeperPedsDocDined on 6/22/2014We were a party of 4 who had never dined there before. First, as soon as we entered the restaurant there was a group of 6 who were promptly seated; the hostess apologized for having us wait, saying we'd be seated soon. Wait, I don't think it took more tha 2 minutes until we too were at our table. The staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. One of our party was allergic to pineapple which happens to be in the sangria. He said she could have something else and that it would be at no charge to the table. He did not need to do that, but he did. The food came out perfect, portion size was generous, and everything came in a timely manner. I have already recommended the restaurant to at least 4 other persons. Kudos, we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what YOU would expect!!...FoOdiEFaNaTiC4uDined on 6/15/20141st off, made reservations for 6pm & still had to wait for a table for about 25 min. Also, asked by the hostess if we were using Groupon, b/c she would clearly dislike it if we used it. Waited at the bar-drinks were way too strong & poured incorrectly-so, they didn't taste good. After sitting down for about 15 min. never got any water at the table, but saw others who came after us get water-told waiter. Gave food & drink order-never received our drinks-had to tell waiter after 25 min.-They forgot!...(Piña coladas are slushy & watered down!!!) Overall, HORRIBLE/SLOW customer service!!! Bathrooms are dirty- missing paper towels! Seats at the table are filthy too!...Food is good though! But, didn't stick around for dessert-too irritated!!Special Features:
- KB1969Dined on 6/15/2014Took my fiance here for brunch on Fathers Day. It was AWESOME!!! The waiter was so nice, the food was great, and the BOTTEMLESS Mimosas & Sangrias were the BEST!!! Will def be back real soon!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food...NapaVisitorDined on 6/14/2014The food is really great (Pernil is always delicious), but Sazon plays dance music while you eat and therefore sometimes its hard to feel completely comfortable while you are eating. There are always numerous birthdays going on everytime I go there. Serving sizes are great to share. Overall its a good place to go and have good food.Special Features:
- ehOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014Expected better tasting food. Very average, can get the same at home or at families. Crab cakes and shrimp were too fishy?? Fishy??Special Features:
- Great Food & AtmosphereKKatVIPDined on 6/8/2014While entertaining friends they requested Puerto Rican cuisine with a lively scene. This place was perfect. Everyone loved their food, except one said her skirt steak was a little dry. The service was slow at first but attributed that to an authentic "island vibe." Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luvgr8tfoodluvgr8tfoodDined on 6/8/2014Had a wonderful time. Great service and food! The waiter we had was very apologetic when our drinks took more than usual to get to our table. Some other waiter took our drinks and gave it to the people he was serving, but the waiter was great about it and he apologized for the delay of our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.