157 East Ohio Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Middle EasternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sayatnovachicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 644-9159
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30AM - 3:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
Sundays: 3:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Sayat Nova
Located just steps from Michigan Avenue in the heart of Chicago's thriving Streeterville neighborhood, Sayat Nova is a cozy, romantic enclave tucked back from the city's urban sprawl. Since 1970, we have offered Armenian cuisine that presents a slightly earthier variation on typical Mediterranean fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sayat Nova reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (17)romantic (16)great for lunch (12)special occasion (7)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (3)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- yummy and cozybdayDined on 11/19/2014Have been eating here for the last decade- the food is delicious and authentic and the atmosphere is cozy...it's a great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Middle Eastern food. Reasonable prices.EatoutAlotDined on 11/14/2014The service was excellent. Appetizers and entres were very good. Authentic Armenian food. Armenian beer was excellent. I took colleagues there from work for dinner. All were very happy with the dining experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodshocohenDined on 11/7/2014I had never been here, despite having lived in Chicago for a long time. I went with a family group and the food was really good! The service is great, the room is a bit loud if you're seated in the center as we were. But that was fine. And I think if you were in one of the booths or tables along the sides, it would probably be quieter.Special Features:
- Decent but not memorableLuv2dineDined on 11/7/2014Food is authentic Armenian and the background music is as well. Took awhile for waitstaff to approach our table. Most had kebabs and while well prepared and seasoned, nothing remarkable. Decent value for the money, though - more reasonably priced than many downtown Chicago restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love this placeCMGWDined on 11/6/2014It is a great hidden gem that I take all of my out-of-town guests to dine. They all love Sayat Nova and request it each visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood SpotJustBeeVIPDined on 11/4/2014Located in a high-tourist area, Sayat Nova retains a neighborhood feel and most of us who eat there live in the neighborhood. Food is consistently good--from their hand-rolled stuffed grape leaves, to the stuffed eggplant, to the loin lamb chops. Service is fine--they're at your table when you need them, but aren't the fake friendly "Hi, my name is ____ and I'll be your server" variety. Check out their jazz on Tuesday nights--great talent and good sounds in a city that's known for it!Special Features:
- Excellent Meal From Start to FinishFromCalgaryDined on 11/2/2014We had an excellent meal at Sayat Nova during a short vacation trip to Chicago. The food was reminiscent of some of the best meals we had on a trip to Turkey a couple of years ago. The mezza sampler appetizer was tasty (our three choices were hommos, baba ghannouj, and taboule). My Armenian combo was an excellent combination plate, although my wife wasn't keen on the cold eggplant that accompanied her sarma dinner. Desserts were quite good, too. Portions were generous, and we were quite full by the time the meal was over.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1234Dined on 10/30/2014Unknowledgeable and overworked staff. Minimal service. The manager was sitting at the bar having a drink while the servers were trying to service too many tables. On the way out, we told him of our bad experience. He replied with a dismissive and defensive attitude. His bad customer service was reflected in our overall experience.
- Very disappointing.FoodbugVIPDined on 10/29/2014Pita bread was stale. That set the tone. Things did not improve. Would not consider going back.
- Great foodbwalVIPDined on 10/18/2014Had a business dinner with some who dont eat meat. All had a very home style dinner and the vegitarian was so very happy! Thanks for a great dinner!Special Features:
- Great valuePhilliesFanVIPDined on 10/9/2014The food was great, and very inexpensive. A real find in a pricey neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant hasn't evolvedDocopinDined on 10/3/2014Returned to Sayat Nova after 40 years. Liked it back then, but so many great restaurants off Michigan now makes SN seem mediocre.Special Features:
- beautiful ambiancemichele0610Dined on 10/3/2014We don't live in the city so always look for good ethnic food when visiting. We were very pleased with the Armenian food, music and ambiance. The booths are semicircles that allow a more private and intimate feel. You can actually have a conversation! The food was delicious and the service was efficient and friendly. They do a good job explaining the menu in case you are new to this type of food. Strongly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the food!happy2eatDined on 9/26/2014Always have great food whenever I go there. Service is fast (sometimes too fast) and friendly.Special Features:
- A find...jhsevVIPDined on 9/13/2014Glad we found this place. Competent, all around enjoyable.
- Never fails to impress..rdstreetsDined on 9/12/2014I started coming to this little Armenian restaurant a decade ago when I lived Downtown. It had been years since I'd eaten there but took a chance and recommended it for dinner when family came to visit from out of town. It was gratifying to see the quality of the food is still every bit as good as I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plain GOOD FOODInSearchOfGenuineGoodVIPDined on 8/29/201430+ years of food, probably haven't changed from its original goodness, still continues. Whenever I need just plain good food... i can always count on Sayat Nova, just like the old poet, i guess. Thank you always for being there and serving us good food, unchanged.Special Features:
- Great Find off Michigan AvenueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed dinner during a recent trip to Chicago, would highly recommend Sayat Nova. We all enjoyed our meals and desserts at the quiet booth in back. Reasonable prices and service was fast and attentive. We will definitely remember it for next trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Something Different in ChicagoBinrahVIPDined on 7/27/2014I was looking for something different from the usual steak and seafood fare in Downtown Chicago. This restaurant fulfilled that desire. The service was fast, but as one critic said you barely have time to enjoy your appetizer before the main course appears. Although the service was quick and efficient, I did not feel any warmth or caring that I was actually there. There did not appear to be any interest from my server in helping me in my selections. There was no smile or enthusiasm; perhaps he was just having a bad day. The food had a nice flavor, but not as aromatic or spice filled as some restaurants of the same cuisine I've been to. It would have been a lot more enjoyable if the waiter had smiled at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food - never failsInSearchOfGenuineGoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014no frills, just real good food. thank you for being there and being constant...Special Features:
- The following 168 reviews are from the Sayat Nova reviews archive.
- An Armenian TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014Off Michigan Avenue a little genuine Armenian restaurant. Food like Mother used to make. Attentive service despite the large crowd. The general manager clearly has the restaurant under control.Special Features:
- Excellent Surprise in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014Been here a few times when visiting Chicago and it never fails to please. Steps off Michigan Avenue on Ohio Street, a perfect respite from the hubbub of shopping and touristy adventurers. Great Middle Eastern (Armenian) food, quaint interior but with an attentive staff. No rush --- savor the flavors --- you'll be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCSBoulderDined on 7/2/2014You have to like Madonna-type music with the heavy beat. Lamb was perfectly cooked with my couscous, and there was plenty of it with the vegetables and grain, but the dish was to us bland, under- seasoned. We sat by the window, away from the comings and goings of customers and staff, and out server either forgot about us or thought we wanted to wait 20 minutes to talk to him after we finished eating. We were disappointed, yet it was our first experience with Armenian food, so we aren't sure what one should expect in terms of seasoning, delicacy etc.
- Good service and foodFedGovEngineerDined on 6/27/2014I tried the Kabab Combo with chicken and beef, it was delicious. I honestly thought that it was going to have a little bit more meat but the flavor was very good. We also ordered Humus, it was ok... The service was good and the ambience was good for dates and for a one on one meeting. Not good for big groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/25/2014Stayed in a nearby hotel and found with OpenTable. Really enjoyed the food. If you like middle eastern, you will like Armenian. Service was 'paced' (i.e. slow) and reserved but that was fine. Quiet dinner with a business travel partner after a long day. Looked like it would make a nice romantic dinner, or just a great spot for a dinner with friends with foodie tendencies. At least on a Wednesday night, was very quiet.Special Features:
- MalangemariDined on 6/25/2014Food was bland, little seasoning. Textures off. Kitchen is asleep. Disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Middle Eastern gemDRobbDined on 6/22/2014Having married into an Armenian family - - I have come to love Armenian cuisine, and Sayat Nova is the best I have enjoyed outside of my wife's family cooking. I have eaten across the country and this is the most authentic and tasty Lebanese-Armenian food I have found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special requirements.SaraVIPDined on 6/22/2014We were to meet friends for dinner, where they wanted 1.Quiet 2.Not bright 3. Lactose free options 4.Gluten free options 5.Inexpensive 6.Close to hotel 7. Good food!!!! Sayat Nova met all the needs.
- great Armenian food!CarlaVZVIPDined on 6/20/2014we tried the hummus and taboule and lahmajoon and they were all very delicious...especially taboule dressing and the dressing on the dinner salad that came with the entree. we had chicken kabobs which we eat everywhere and these were very good, as was the rice. trying the trout when we return! this places is a delicious safe bet for Mediterranean food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodJzzzzDined on 6/16/2014............................................................
- Another good meal at Sayat-Novalove2eatDined on 6/14/2014This is my second visit to Sayat-Nova and I was not disappointed. The food is great and the service friendly. My only complaint is that the place is small and many of the tables can get very cramped with more than three people (we had five). But it's a great place and worth a visit!Special Features:
- Old, dependable gem...babagourmetVIPDined on 6/3/2014Perfect location off the Magnificent Mile and only restaurant around offering consistently good Armenian food.Special Features:
- couldbeafoodieDined on 6/1/2014Very authentic Armenian food. The lamb chops are excellent. Try the Armenian beer. My only small complaint was the timing. We ordered appetizers and drinks, then dinner. We weren't even a quarter of the way through the appetizer when the entrees showed up. The result was a crowded table and the need to move to the entrees quickly before they cooled off. I guess it's not a big complaint since my wife thought it gave the experience the feel of a feast! But it might have been nice to be asked if we wanted them that close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank YOU!ASOCODined on 5/31/2014We could enjoy a lot! It was wonderful dinner for all of us.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2014I picked this restaurant for a few work friends to avoid huge steak chains that dominate our work week. It was also right around the corner from our hotel. I love armenian food, and eat ti often. As far as middle eastern food goes, it was just ok. The service was friendly enough, but slow. The portions of the food weren't as large was expecting (but big enough). I had the combo kebab, and the meet was almost in bites sized pieces, which was odd to me. Chicken Couscous was decent. I didn't taste the Armenian combo, but it sort of looked like fast food. The restaurant was loud, but we were able to carry on a conversation. All in all, with ther dining options downtown, I wouldn't go back here...
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our second time to Sayat Nova in the last year. Although the restaurant was full on a Saturday evening, their acoustics allow conversation at a reasonable level (no shouting needed). Seating was not too close as in many of the newer restaurants. Also, service was prompt and efficient. Their appetizers are wonderful, try the BaBA Ganoouj (Mashed Egg Plant), Raw Kibbee (Their version of Steak Tartar--very yummy), and Yalanchi Saram (stuffed grape leaves)). Their lamb chops are some of the best we have had anywhere. Their Kebabs are wonderful also! Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Fun AlternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed a great middle-eastern meal and were well cared for by the staff. The ambiance was different and fun. Our only complaint was that the music was a bit too loud.
- Great New ExperienceWobblesDined on 5/12/2014Excellent flavor combinations. Was my first time there. Very excited to go back again soon!Special Features:
- nice atmosphereblanchesarongVIPDined on 5/2/2014Loved the ambience of the place. We both ordered the olives & string cheese for appetizer, & lamb kebob for dinner. The meat was already removed from the skewer & was cooked perfectly. The service was excellent. The pistachio baklava for dessert was delicious. Will definitely recommend this place to our friends when they go to Chicago.Special Features:
- Gem nestled in downtown ChicagoSouthernBelleDined on 4/26/2014We stayed in a hotel just a block from this restaurant. We happened to see the sign from the 27th floor window and decided on a whim to try it. Best decision ever. The wait staff was wonderful and friendly. We took our 2 daughters, 14 and 11 for a Middle Eastern treat. The food was great. Since they have an extensive appetizer list we ordered Armenian "tapas". The food was amazing. The flavors were well balanced and we loved every bite.Special Features: