157 East Ohio Street
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Downtown / Loop
Middle EasternPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sayatnovachicago.com/
- Phone: 3126449159
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30AM - 3:30PM
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
Sundays: 3:00PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Sayat Nova
Located just steps from Michigan Avenue in the heart of Chicago's thriving Streeterville neighborhood, Sayat Nova is a cozy, romantic enclave tucked back from the city's urban sprawl. Since 1970, we have offered Armenian cuisine that presents a slightly earthier variation on typical Mediterranean fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sayat Nova reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (18)romantic (14)great for lunch (12)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (6)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (1)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A find...jhsevDined on 9/13/2014Glad we found this place. Competent, all around enjoyable.
- Never fails to impress..rdstreetsDined on 9/12/2014I started coming to this little Armenian restaurant a decade ago when I lived Downtown. It had been years since I'd eaten there but took a chance and recommended it for dinner when family came to visit from out of town. It was gratifying to see the quality of the food is still every bit as good as I remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plain GOOD FOODInSearchOfGenuineGoodVIPDined on 8/29/201430+ years of food, probably haven't changed from its original goodness, still continues. Whenever I need just plain good food... i can always count on Sayat Nova, just like the old poet, i guess. Thank you always for being there and serving us good food, unchanged.Special Features:
- Great Find off Michigan AvenueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We enjoyed dinner during a recent trip to Chicago, would highly recommend Sayat Nova. We all enjoyed our meals and desserts at the quiet booth in back. Reasonable prices and service was fast and attentive. We will definitely remember it for next trip to Chicago.Special Features:
- Something Different in ChicagoBinrahVIPDined on 7/27/2014I was looking for something different from the usual steak and seafood fare in Downtown Chicago. This restaurant fulfilled that desire. The service was fast, but as one critic said you barely have time to enjoy your appetizer before the main course appears. Although the service was quick and efficient, I did not feel any warmth or caring that I was actually there. There did not appear to be any interest from my server in helping me in my selections. There was no smile or enthusiasm; perhaps he was just having a bad day. The food had a nice flavor, but not as aromatic or spice filled as some restaurants of the same cuisine I've been to. It would have been a lot more enjoyable if the waiter had smiled at least once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food - never failsInSearchOfGenuineGoodVIPDined on 7/26/2014no frills, just real good food. thank you for being there and being constant...Special Features:
- An Armenian TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014Off Michigan Avenue a little genuine Armenian restaurant. Food like Mother used to make. Attentive service despite the large crowd. The general manager clearly has the restaurant under control.Special Features:
- Excellent Surprise in ChicagoOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/12/2014Been here a few times when visiting Chicago and it never fails to please. Steps off Michigan Avenue on Ohio Street, a perfect respite from the hubbub of shopping and touristy adventurers. Great Middle Eastern (Armenian) food, quaint interior but with an attentive staff. No rush --- savor the flavors --- you'll be pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCSBoulderDined on 7/2/2014You have to like Madonna-type music with the heavy beat. Lamb was perfectly cooked with my couscous, and there was plenty of it with the vegetables and grain, but the dish was to us bland, under- seasoned. We sat by the window, away from the comings and goings of customers and staff, and out server either forgot about us or thought we wanted to wait 20 minutes to talk to him after we finished eating. We were disappointed, yet it was our first experience with Armenian food, so we aren't sure what one should expect in terms of seasoning, delicacy etc.
- Good service and foodFedGovEngineerDined on 6/27/2014I tried the Kabab Combo with chicken and beef, it was delicious. I honestly thought that it was going to have a little bit more meat but the flavor was very good. We also ordered Humus, it was ok... The service was good and the ambience was good for dates and for a one on one meeting. Not good for big groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/25/2014Stayed in a nearby hotel and found with OpenTable. Really enjoyed the food. If you like middle eastern, you will like Armenian. Service was 'paced' (i.e. slow) and reserved but that was fine. Quiet dinner with a business travel partner after a long day. Looked like it would make a nice romantic dinner, or just a great spot for a dinner with friends with foodie tendencies. At least on a Wednesday night, was very quiet.Special Features:
- MalangemariDined on 6/25/2014Food was bland, little seasoning. Textures off. Kitchen is asleep. Disappointing experience.Special Features:
- Middle Eastern gemDRobbDined on 6/22/2014Having married into an Armenian family - - I have come to love Armenian cuisine, and Sayat Nova is the best I have enjoyed outside of my wife's family cooking. I have eaten across the country and this is the most authentic and tasty Lebanese-Armenian food I have found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special requirements.SaraVIPDined on 6/22/2014We were to meet friends for dinner, where they wanted 1.Quiet 2.Not bright 3. Lactose free options 4.Gluten free options 5.Inexpensive 6.Close to hotel 7. Good food!!!! Sayat Nova met all the needs.
- great Armenian food!CarlaVZVIPDined on 6/20/2014we tried the hummus and taboule and lahmajoon and they were all very delicious...especially taboule dressing and the dressing on the dinner salad that came with the entree. we had chicken kabobs which we eat everywhere and these were very good, as was the rice. trying the trout when we return! this places is a delicious safe bet for Mediterranean food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodJzzzzDined on 6/16/2014............................................................
- Another good meal at Sayat-Novalove2eatDined on 6/14/2014This is my second visit to Sayat-Nova and I was not disappointed. The food is great and the service friendly. My only complaint is that the place is small and many of the tables can get very cramped with more than three people (we had five). But it's a great place and worth a visit!Special Features:
- Old, dependable gem...babagourmetVIPDined on 6/3/2014Perfect location off the Magnificent Mile and only restaurant around offering consistently good Armenian food.Special Features:
- couldbeafoodieDined on 6/1/2014Very authentic Armenian food. The lamb chops are excellent. Try the Armenian beer. My only small complaint was the timing. We ordered appetizers and drinks, then dinner. We weren't even a quarter of the way through the appetizer when the entrees showed up. The result was a crowded table and the need to move to the entrees quickly before they cooled off. I guess it's not a big complaint since my wife thought it gave the experience the feel of a feast! But it might have been nice to be asked if we wanted them that close together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank YOU!ASOCODined on 5/31/2014We could enjoy a lot! It was wonderful dinner for all of us.Special Features:
- Just OkOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/30/2014I picked this restaurant for a few work friends to avoid huge steak chains that dominate our work week. It was also right around the corner from our hotel. I love armenian food, and eat ti often. As far as middle eastern food goes, it was just ok. The service was friendly enough, but slow. The portions of the food weren't as large was expecting (but big enough). I had the combo kebab, and the meet was almost in bites sized pieces, which was odd to me. Chicken Couscous was decent. I didn't taste the Armenian combo, but it sort of looked like fast food. The restaurant was loud, but we were able to carry on a conversation. All in all, with ther dining options downtown, I wouldn't go back here...
- The following 153 reviews are from the Sayat Nova reviews archive.
- Wonderful ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/17/2014This was our second time to Sayat Nova in the last year. Although the restaurant was full on a Saturday evening, their acoustics allow conversation at a reasonable level (no shouting needed). Seating was not too close as in many of the newer restaurants. Also, service was prompt and efficient. Their appetizers are wonderful, try the BaBA Ganoouj (Mashed Egg Plant), Raw Kibbee (Their version of Steak Tartar--very yummy), and Yalanchi Saram (stuffed grape leaves)). Their lamb chops are some of the best we have had anywhere. Their Kebabs are wonderful also! Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Fun AlternativeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014We enjoyed a great middle-eastern meal and were well cared for by the staff. The ambiance was different and fun. Our only complaint was that the music was a bit too loud.
- Great New ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/12/2014Excellent flavor combinations. Was my first time there. Very excited to go back again soon!Special Features:
- nice atmosphereblanchesarongVIPDined on 5/2/2014Loved the ambience of the place. We both ordered the olives & string cheese for appetizer, & lamb kebob for dinner. The meat was already removed from the skewer & was cooked perfectly. The service was excellent. The pistachio baklava for dessert was delicious. Will definitely recommend this place to our friends when they go to Chicago.Special Features:
- Gem nestled in downtown ChicagoSouthernBelleDined on 4/26/2014We stayed in a hotel just a block from this restaurant. We happened to see the sign from the 27th floor window and decided on a whim to try it. Best decision ever. The wait staff was wonderful and friendly. We took our 2 daughters, 14 and 11 for a Middle Eastern treat. The food was great. Since they have an extensive appetizer list we ordered Armenian "tapas". The food was amazing. The flavors were well balanced and we loved every bite.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2014We had an excellent dinner at Sayat Nova, as always. The Armenian food is great and just like the best home-made dishes prepared by hand. WE like to make a meal of a variety of the mezzas or appetizers, especially boerag, kibee, lahmajoun, string cheese and olives, sarma or any of the others. Favorite entrees are the trout, luleh kebab, and kufta. Save room for an Armenian coffee and baklava or another Armenian dessert. Ask for a booth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodRugbugDined on 4/12/2014My family and I were visiting Chicago , and Some of us wanted to explore different foods and others not so much. This was the perfect place. My husband and I ordered the kabobs and the kids ordered more authentic Armenian food. We all enjoyed our meals. Service was good, but nothing special, not warm and inviting.Special Features:
- Family DinnerHaydnDined on 4/5/2014We had an excellent evening the food was outstanding. The restaurant was full as there was a big party - but the staff managed to keep up and were very attentive. We are definitely going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sayat NovaRuthiDined on 3/27/2014A small intimate Armenian place, perfect for good conversation and an enjoyable, delicious lunch with a twist! I would recommend it! A neighborhood find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Kabobs!RockDined on 3/26/2014Was planning dinner with the family and wanted a reasonable priced restaurant near Michigan Avenue. Sayat Nova was tasty! Really enjoyed the hummus, and the different kabobs we ordered were very well seasoned. Prices are reasonable, and the meal fills you up without being overstuffed! We'd stop back again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great DinnerThomasDined on 3/25/2014This was our first visit to Sayat Nova. The food was excellent, the atmosphere was great, which led to a very enjoyable evening. We would recommend this to anyone who likes to eat different cuisine. We will definitely return the next time when we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always yum!Emnic10Dined on 3/25/2014Second time at this restaurant and it was fabulous.... We had a pile of kids with us this time and the staff was very helpful and patient. Food was fantastic and the restaurant is just cozy and beautiful..... You will be glad you went....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/25/2014The food and service were incredible. I had the chicken dish with rice and a salad. It wad enough food. Very tasty. Good food. I will be back for more when I am in town.Special Features:
- Food is consistently veryJustBeeVIPDined on 3/6/2014Food is consistently very good & carefully prepared using top-quality ingredients. Service is professional. Love this place!Special Features:
- Romantic Valentine's Day DinneroldnavylawDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I originally found this place years ago for Valentine's Day. We decided to go again for our romantic date and it did not disappoint. The atmosphere was awesome and the food was absolutely delicious. We will definitely be dining here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!ANT1Dined on 2/14/2014The food and service here were great! This was my first time dining here and I'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good StuffballsmanDined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentine's Day and it was great. It was a regular menu, not some stupid premade menu with two choices. the servers were very attentive, the food was great, they even seated us about half an hour early.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfy neighborhood favorite.......ChicagoNewgirlVIPDined on 2/14/2014This place is warm and inviting. The food is good, the service is great and the atmosphere makes it feel special. I think it is romantic and I like the fact that it is not to busy. Take your sweetie here and you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Medi CuisinesudiegalVIPDined on 1/17/2014Enjoyed tabbouleh, hummus and abundant pita followed by mixed kebob with rice and salad at reasonable pricesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.