Saxon + Parole
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Saxon + Parole
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saxonandparole.com/
- Phone: (212) 254-0350
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday, 5pm - 10pm
Saturday - Sunday, 10:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Brad Farmerie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Saxon + Parole
Saxon + Parole, conceived by the award-winning AvroKO Hospitality Group and Executive Chef Brad Farmerie, creators of NoLIta's PUBLIC, brings a global approach to traditional grill fare, within a warm and inviting space on the Bowery. The 112-seat restaurant – named after two prize-winning, New York-bred racehorses – features rich design elements and modernist details, paying homage to the numerous horse stables that once populated Lower Manhattan. The menu explores traditional grill fare, with a focus on domestic meat and seafood, as well as seasonal and sustainable produce. Diners can expect a global twist in the seasoning, cooking methods, and ingredients – highlighted in dishes such as 28-day dry-aged NY strip steak with bone-marrow béarnaise, Heritage farms USA roasted pork rack with purple-potato salad, and roasted Atlantic cod with a tomato-caper broth, Manila clams, braised fennel, white beans and Tuscan kaleContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saxon + Parole reviews from OpenTable diners
130 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (85)vibrant bar scene (67)hot spot (56)neighborhood gem (55)special occasion (46)good for groups (45)romantic (35)notable wine list (19)great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (11)late-night find (11)great for lunch (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Congrats to Saxon + Parole ...Whoever You Are!DishyVIPDined on 11/23/2014Wonderful dinner with great service! I know this restaurant is owned by a company that has a number of other restaurants, but this place has managed to keep an individuality that makes it seem like one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A+ Food and Drinks; Fair Service at BestDerrickFMooreVIPDined on 11/22/2014I came here with a few friends for my birthday dinner. There's no doubt the food and drinks here are fantastic - we had the five-cheese plate and chicken liver mousse for appetizers, and both hit the spot. We all had very different entrees and everyone seemed to thoroughly enjoy the food. We each hit up different cocktails both at the bar beforehand and at our dinner table, and again, they were really great. However, a thoroughly disappointing part of the dinner was that our server was completely AWOL the entire time. We spent about 20 minutes looking for our server after he gave us the dessert menu and, despite being very excited for the warm cinnamon donuts, we basically gave up and just got the check instead of getting dessert. I assume this was just a bad night for S+P service because I had been here previously and had fantastic service. I even feel bad writing this because our server was very nice and helpful when he was around, but I find it extremely disappointing that we basically had to ask another worker to find our server so that we could put in our order. I expected better from a place like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014Some friends from back home recommended this restaurant and I was not disappointed. The food was amazing and the service was great. A cool place with a warm and welcoming atmosphere. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space, great fooddiner4everVIPDined on 11/2/2014This place was a great find for us. The food was terrific, the drinks (especially the Manhattan's that came with a dividend) were well done and the staff were friendly. One criticism is that the service needs to be crisper. We ordered drinks and after 15/20 minutes only one drink came to the table. Then the GM stepped in and things got better but that needs to be improved. Also, the guy bringing the food out had no clue who ordered what. That might be fine in a burger joint but not in a restaurant at this price point. Our waitress was on top of things so that helped and when we asked to move tables after we were served, they were very accommodating. One other easy fix--lower the music. Even our son thought it was too loud.Special Features:
- Very impressiveRCanalDined on 11/1/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner. The food was excellent and the service was also very good. We will definitely go back soon.Special Features:
- An exceptional eveningDave1066Dined on 10/31/2014I visited Saxon + Parole with my wife and two daughters on our first evening in New York, having booked a table a few weeks ago. Although I had reasonably high expectations, the experience far exceeded them. We are a family of "foodies" in the truest sense and we all agreed this was one of THE best meals we have had together. Not only were the food, cocktails and wine excellent, the service - we were served by a charming, helpful and well-informed young Australian lady - was perfect. Even the music choice, often something that can be something of an imposition, was spot-on for an ageing muso on a Friday evening. Stand out dishes; the Chicken liver mousse, NY blade steak and the S'mores dessert (wow!) but everything was perfectly balanced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Of Cocktails & SteakOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/30/2014Can't say enough good things about the food, service, cocktails and staff. Our waiter was smart friendly and completly knowledgeable about the menu. Everything was on point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014It is a bit loud, but the food is great. We had oysters from the east coast and branzini fish course and a great green salad. Great energy and great serviceSpecial Features:
- Great bar scene, ok food.OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/25/2014Got the dry aged ribeye. It was extremely, well, dry and tough with little flavor (ordered it medium rare). Cut of steak wasn't particularly of high quality with little to no marbling. Good bar scene though and the service wasnt bad. That said it's not a steakhouse so perhaps the other offerings are more flavorful.Special Features:
- Friends & Family Visitingnycfoodie1990VIPDined on 10/25/2014Made reservations for Saturday night for when my mom and her friend planned a girls trip to NYC. This was their favorite place of the whole trip (we also went to ABC Kitchen and the Standard Grill). The service was AMAZING - we arrived at 7:45 for our 8 PM reservation and a bartender immediately found us on (even though the bar was crowded) and brought us menus and appeared quickly to take our order. Our waitress was super helpful and friendly. All of the food was amazing. The smores were just slightly more smokey than anticipated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food but so noisy!BizluncherDined on 10/25/2014Staff were lovely and a great menu. Scallops were wonderful! Only gripe was the noise level...ended up being a very 'shouty' experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and Trendy!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Fun atmosphere, wonderful service and a great experience all together.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pretheater dinnercgtfDined on 10/21/2014What a find. The whole meal was great. I had the hanger steak and it was delicious. We will definitely go back when we are in that neighborhood.Special Features:
- Consistently OutstandingTorontoFoodiacVIPDined on 10/18/2014Chef Brad Farmerie and his team have consistently produced one of the best all around restaurants in New York. From delicious innovative cocktails to superb flavourful food, to friendly professional service, they keep getting it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmermotownManVIPDined on 10/16/2014She'll charm you like a coy schoolgirl then reveal the depth of her passion with a vibrant atmosphere while revealing her sophisticated upbringing! She doesn't lay a heavy hand on the atmosphere but rather lets you drink it in slowly and measurably. When you think the drink menu will be the usual fare, she'll excite you with her boldness. But as with any great lady of the stage, she really shines when the menu unfolds. Soak it all in, eat it all up and bring home a night of memories to hold onto whenever the day grows long shadows.Special Features:
- Overall - Very GoodLindaDined on 10/14/2014We have been several times to Saxon and Parole and we always savour our time there. We especially enjoy the Manhattans on Tap. We then use the secret door to Madam Geneva's. All in all, it has consistently been a positive experience.Special Features:
- Get the Gnudignudi4lifeDined on 10/13/2014food was amazing!!! absolutely devoured the ricotta gnudi and still craving more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded expectations!FlavorObsessedDined on 10/12/2014From the over-the-top flavorful Truffle Portobello Pots appetizer to the best prepared duck I've ever tasted to an amazing S'mores-in-a-jar dessert (complete with campfire scent!!), everything was a festival of flavor and prepared to perfection. Even my seasonal Pumpkin Fizz was wonderful, tasted like pie in a glass. I wish there was a Saxon & Parole in Miami, I'd visit every week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool Bowery SpotDoubleDVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great vibe here. Cool staff. Food is solid- try the Brussel sprouts- delicious! Inventive drinks too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, a little noisyjgbmechoDined on 10/9/2014The food was excellent, tables quite close to each other and lots of background noise. Service was very good, excellent wine list and a good selection of beers, including draft and interesting range of bottled beers. Would definitely recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Lively and DeliciousAnneVIPDined on 10/4/2014We loved our evening at Saxon and Parole. The drinks were curated. No Cosmo's because the cannot juice the cranberries. Whatever. The oysters were fresh and delicious. Try a selection. The bone marrow was to die for.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014Our waitress was super friendly, knowledgable, and helpful. We had a couple cocktails and glasses of wine, all good. And for dinner the cote de bouef for two which also came with a bunch of sides. The steak was cooked perfectly and all the sides were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlicDined on 10/2/2014Delish, great and friendly service. Not loud in the smaller dining room. Fun placeSpecial Features:
- Super find in BrooklynOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014We were jet lagged so wish we could have appreciated it more, but this place is a must visit if you have the time to make it - we got a bar seat and were impressed watching the chefs at work, then even more impressed when it came time to eat!Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperiencefunfoodfinderDined on 9/24/2014Great food and service in a very social scene with a varied crowd of friendly people including the efficient and friendly staff. Great place to dine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the vibe, stay for the foodTheKitchenSpyVIPDined on 9/23/2014S+P has just the right amount of gestalt to feel perfectly at home on the Bowery and the operational and culinary polish to be fit for people who expect good food and service. The menu is curated to entice a wide spectrum of tastes, from less adventurous guests to those of us who want to try something new and interesting. Even if we've been there before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good good, lousy serviceWillDined on 9/20/2014What can I say? I actually enjoyed the food, but any enjoyment was overshadowed by just how awful the service was. Kyle, our server, did his absolute best to ignore us, from leaving us hanging for 20 minutes after we arrived without much of an acknowledgement to sheer avoidance when we tried to order. It didn't get any better as the evening wore on. Aside from a couple of cursory check-ins with us, he acted as though we were a burden to his time chatting with the other wait staff out standing around doing nothing. Ridiculous. I won't be going back.
- Nice overallOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/20/2014Food is good. The atmosphere is lively and energetic and that is the best part of it. We tried the smaller seafood tier, the mushroom pot, 3 meat platter, a special burrata with truffle, kale salad and br. spouts. The mushroom pot and porc rillette were very good. I was not fond of the seafood tier.Special Features:
- GreatGoodEatsVIPDined on 9/17/2014Four of us shared the special 40 ounce ribeye........Fantastic. We hareatd two salads and one "pot" this was plenty for the four of us. Don't forget desert the S'mores are very good. The sealed jar even comes with some smoke from the camp fire.Special Features:
- YUMAnonymousDined on 9/12/2014Fantastic cocktails, great staff, delicious food- I'll be returningSpecial Features:
- Great spotEKcolaDined on 9/7/2014Outdoor tables a little unsteady and dinner burger "oozed" off butcher block plate and all over my friends pants!! Cute place, but outdoor tables could use an upgrade in design.
- Great nightSel83Dined on 9/7/2014I brought my husband here for his birthday. The service was friendly and very good. The food was delicious. The cocktail list was very impressive. Our overall dining experience was great. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!FL21332VIPDined on 9/5/2014Found this on Open Table and went becuase of the reviews. It did not disappoint. Flat Iron steak and the scallops were great. Worth the cab ride down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkMattVIPDined on 9/5/2014Was second time eating here. Food is good. Service has missed the mark on both occasions.
- Great food but..DannyVIPDined on 9/5/2014We found the food to be solid, and the cocktail list is great even if the drinks come out a tad weak. Some of the items including the burger and beet salad are quite notable. What ended up hurting the ambiance is when we got our marching orders after we decided to keep our table a bit after finishing dinner and order some more drinks - turns out there were other reservations on top of us and that wouldn't work.Special Features:
- Seafood tower & mushroom pot shrankhatecheapfoodVIPDined on 8/29/2014Love the food here but portions seems to have been shrinking. Sign of the times with rising prices I suppose.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!Cali2NycVIPDined on 8/29/2014Love this place. Came for dinner. Had a great drink menu and good food. Ordered the bone marrow as my entree and it was huge!! Also much try the mushroom mousse!! Will prob come back for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningSusanVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had not been to Saxon + Parole in a while and i had forgotten how great it is. Starting with the bartender who was friendly and made a great cocktail. The service at our table was wonderful and the food was fantastic. I will definitely be coming back more often. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Bday dinnerBrunchDined on 8/26/2014I had a great birthday at Saxon and Parole. Would highly recommend it for groups because they were super accommodating and the food was GREAT!Special Features:
- Superb cocktails, yummy foodValiDined on 8/21/2014Will continue to be one of my favorite NYC spots. Every cocktail is made with love. Try their "pots", pork chop and crispy chicken. You will not leave disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.