Saxon + Parole
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Saxon + Parole
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saxonandparole.com/
- Phone: 2122540350x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday, 5:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday, 5pm - 10pm
Friday, 12:00pm - 3:30pm
Saturday - Sunday, 10:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, American, Global, International
- Executive Chef: Brad Farmerie
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Saxon + Parole
Saxon + Parole, conceived by the award-winning AvroKO Hospitality Group and Executive Chef Brad Farmerie, creators of NoLIta's PUBLIC, brings a global approach to traditional grill fare, within a warm and inviting space on the Bowery. The 112-seat restaurant – named after two prize-winning, New York-bred racehorses – features rich design elements and modernist details, paying homage to the numerous horse stables that once populated Lower Manhattan. The menu explores traditional grill fare, with a focus on domestic meat and seafood, as well as seasonal and sustainable produce. Diners can expect a global twist in the seasoning, cooking methods, and ingredients – highlighted in dishes such as 28-day dry-aged NY strip steak with bone-marrow béarnaise, Heritage farms USA roasted pork rack with purple-potato salad, and roasted Atlantic cod with a tomato-caper broth, Manila clams, braised fennel, white beans and Tuscan kaleContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saxon + Parole reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)vibrant bar scene (61)special occasion (55)neighborhood gem (49)hot spot (46)romantic (45)good for groups (32)great for outdoor dining (30)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (18)great for lunch (11)late-night find (8)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Seafood tower & mushroom pot shrankhatecheapfoodVIPDined on 8/29/2014Love the food here but portions seems to have been shrinking. Sign of the times with rising prices I suppose.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!Cali2NycDined on 8/29/2014Love this place. Came for dinner. Had a great drink menu and good food. Ordered the bone marrow as my entree and it was huge!! Also much try the mushroom mousse!! Will prob come back for brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect eveningSusanVIPDined on 8/27/2014I had not been to Saxon + Parole in a while and i had forgotten how great it is. Starting with the bartender who was friendly and made a great cocktail. The service at our table was wonderful and the food was fantastic. I will definitely be coming back more often. Outstanding.Special Features:
- Bday dinnerBrunchDined on 8/26/2014I had a great birthday at Saxon and Parole. Would highly recommend it for groups because they were super accommodating and the food was GREAT!Special Features:
- Superb cocktails, yummy foodValiDined on 8/21/2014Will continue to be one of my favorite NYC spots. Every cocktail is made with love. Try their "pots", pork chop and crispy chicken. You will not leave disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snooty Hostess but Great Waitertc436VIPDined on 8/16/2014We were greeted by a very snooty hostess but our table waiter was great! He recommended some wonderful options. The truffle mushroom spread, duck, and scallops were all very tasty. I was there on Saturday night (8/16) and the restaurant should really consider hiring another hostess. She was rude and had an attitude towards anyone that approached the hostess stand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food. Terrible serviceNycfooooodDined on 8/15/2014The food was nothing exciting. Average at best. There are definitely better options for the price. Bartenders know nothing about wine. Service was so slow it took 2 of us nearly 3 hours to get out of the restaurant. We sat outside.. Mistake. So much trash (people) walking around. But we should have expected that.
- Great for special occassionsHospitalityNiteLifeDined on 8/12/2014Service and food were great... will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereVibeDined on 8/5/2014There is NOTHING to complain about at Saxon + Parole: Great bar, wonderful drinks, inventive wine list and a menu that will both delight and challenge the senses. A phenomenal evening. Moreover, the décor and vibe of S+P is very comfortable and welcoming. I'm going back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely evening!Spaz813Dined on 8/2/2014My girlfriends and I were looking for somewhere cool and special for a lady date, but not too formal or pricey. This was perfect! Clearly a trendy place but not too loud. Secret door to the bar next door was fun. We fell in love with the celery gimlets and octopus salad appetizer. The pots (mushroom purée or pâté with jelly) were amazing and plenty to share. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the bone marrow - it's one big bone, so it wasn't very evenly seasoned, and the toast wasn't very soft. 2 cocktails, a shared app, and a entree each came out to $80 each with tip, so it was surprisingly affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- apikramenosDined on 8/2/2014I can't say enough positive things about Saxon + Parole! The food is wonderful and everyone in our party was blown away at how much we enjoyed our food. Our waitress was also very knowledgeable and friendly and the atmosphere is lively and fun. Go if you have the chance!Special Features:
- best cocktails and good foodAegeanBoyDined on 8/2/2014The cocktails are always amazing at this place. There is one cocktail that has mezcal, tequila, and a drop of chili oil -- it is a well-balanced, out of the ordinary spicy cocktail. We also had truffle mushroom mousse (very good, and if you like truffle, it is definitely rich, for those who do not care about truffle, it can be a bit too much), grilled octopus and calamari (both perfectly cooked). What I find most amusing at Saxon + Parole is the seasoning of the food -- it is perfection. For dinner, we had the burgers; I am a big fan of egg on my rare burger (like Asian burgers) and it was very-well prepared. Excellent choice for cocktails + dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top Notch...GmoneyDined on 8/1/2014This place is the real deal... the whole package: awesome mixologists (masa is a master...) great vibe, great food, great music, awesome design... Avro|Ko is one of the best in the industry... nice work
- Jesse WilsonOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/30/2014An excellent dining experience. I went with a group of 4 for my friend's 40th birthday. The service was excellent and the atmosphere was great. It was very lively and comfortable. But the food was the main star. We all enjoyed every dish and were very satisfied. I definitely recommend this place to anyone.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014I love this place. I celebrated my wedding there actually and they were so attentive and helpful in the planning and on the night of the wedding. The food is excellent and I can't wait to eat there again!Special Features:
- Awesome place!apikramenosDined on 7/27/2014Two friends and I had dinner here the other night and we all loved our experience! The food was fantastic (both the ricotta gnudi and the brussel sprouts side order are to die for!) and our waitress was very friendly. Will have to come back and try the Shiner!Special Features:
- Ask for the prices of the specialsFoodieVIPDined on 7/24/2014The atmosphere would have been beautiful if it wasn't so noisy. For a drink at the bar the music is fine, but for dinner it was too loud to have a normal conversation. I highly recommend the octopus and the scallops. The salmon was undercooked and the sugar snap peas almost raw. Don't forget to ask for the prices of the specials. The rib eye (for 2-3 people) is $140.
- Didn't meet expectationsSeekerOfdelicousnessDined on 7/18/2014First time experience of New York and was recommended this place by a friend. We loved the atmosphere, wine was amazing and first course was delicious. Blonde hostess at front of house confirming reservations was snobby and looked us up and down before we even spoke to her. Main course was awful. Duck was average and we left the pork as it was dry and burnt, waiter looked at the meal when clearing the table but looked like he didn't want to mention it unless I did. Would't get this kind of poor service in London.Special Features:
- LOVE LOVE LOVEMelissaJeanDined on 7/12/2014This place has some seriously tasty food and well made cocktails. If you get the chance to go. GO! Had the razor clam egg salad, the truffle mushroom pot and the trout. FANTASTIC on all fronts! They even took the dessert off the check b/c it was my anniversary. Super sweet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014Overall, very good dining experience! I would go backSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerMarisaBDined on 7/10/2014My parents took me here for my 25th birthday. It was a perfect setting and overall experience. They food and wine was delicious, I highly recommend the scallops! As a surprise, my S'more dessert came out with a birthday candle!Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014We had been here once several months ago, and had had a great meal and drinks at this stylish and vibrant upscale pub. This time we brought some friends and were sorely disappointed. Service was marginal (the waiter forgot to put in part of our order), the A/C turned our booth into an ice-box (a request to have it adjusted generated only blank stares), and the food was not nearly as good as it had been on our first visit (in particular a requested medium-rare burger came close to well-done, and the accompanying fries were cold - although to be fair this may have been more the fault of the arctic A/C than the kitchen staff). My impression is that Saxon & Parole has become a victim of its own success. Too bad; it had shown such promise.
- Hit or missAntShapVIPDined on 6/23/2014the food is fantastic in general, especially the deserts. on that note, the prices do not reflect the food. It is very good but not THAT good. The truffle gnudi was amazing as well as the doughnuts. get them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChristineVIPDined on 6/23/2014This was my first experience at Saxon and parole and I loved it!!! I can't wait to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch at Saxon + ParoleBaltPhillyFoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014We ordered a few Yankee Mules and the fun began. We started off with a dozen of the west coast oysters and did a sampler there. I am from MD and grew up eating oysters and I have to say that I love me some west coast oysters. After that one of us did the BLAT with the fried egg (BLT with Avocado), one of us did the Fried Chicken Sandwich which is only offered on Fridays apparently, and 2 of us did the burger without the bun. We also got 2 sides of fries. Everything was really good and we all were happy with our meals. One thing to note though is that the BLAT is a large sandwich yet only comes with 1 egg which covers barely 1/2 of it, it would be nice to get 2 so that you get some egg on both sides.Special Features:
- Greatluv2dineDined on 6/8/2014Took my girlfriend here for laid back birthday dinner. Hit a home run. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/8/2014Great food, ambience and drinks. The bartender was very attentive. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/8/2014Very friendly staff. and they take very good care of the diners.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/2/2014I been to Saxon + Parole couple time before and the service was very good. But I am very disappointed this time. The waiter didn't bring out our food or come around to ask if we need anything. He came to take our dessert order than disappear. We didn't get any silverware for our dessert and getting other staff attention was even worst. Finally my friend was able to get someone to bring us silverware.
- PHouleVIPDined on 5/31/2014It was my second time and I had an out of town guest. She was impressed with the great food and unique decor. What I like the most is the simplicity of the food. Interesting offerings perfectly prepared. The duck breast was juicy and the skin was so perfectly rendered it tasted like bacon. It was served with a simple jus, baby beets and pickled fennel. The fennel was unique and surprising. I recommend 2 must haves the mushroom pot and the smores for desert. Saxon and Parole is now on my list of regular places to eat! Yummy!Special Features:
- Solid.SmithVIPDined on 5/24/2014Came here for a friend's birthday dinner. Had been to the bar many times but had never eaten in the dining room. Glad we did. The food wad great - the brussel sprouts are a must - and the drinks are some of the best in the city. The only downside was a long delay in receiving our drinks once we ordered. The waitress was attentive, but repeatedly apologized for the 'delay at the bar.' We likely would have ordered another round had it not been so slow.Special Features:
- Will Definitely ReturnkimonchaseDined on 5/22/2014We definitely liked this restaurant. My son was graduating from NYU law school and we needed to find a dinner place for 6 people. Saxon and Parole was recommended to me by a friend. We originally made our reservation for 8 o'clock per my son's wishes however we were ready to eat earlier and they were able to accommodate us (after calling ahead). At first we were seated in the bar area (which would be OK for some, but too noisy for us.) With a moderate amount of complaining they very graciously moved us to one of the two quieter dining areas. Our meal was delicious and we were all pleased. My son is a foodie and was very happy with his meal. The ambience is intimate and at the same time lively; the decor is smart and interesting.Special Features:
- One word...DustyDined on 5/17/2014Incredible! This is the second time my wife and I made reservations at Saxon+Parole. The first was a chance encounter and it was such a great restaurant that we had to go back...and this time we brought friends. The bartenders serve great drinks and the it seems to be more an art form than pumping out beverages. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone in NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just "ok"dinnerwithafriendDined on 5/12/2014We had dinner on a Sunday night. We waited briefly for our table and was asked to wait at the bar. The bar was very crowded and it took just as long to get the bartender's attention. Our dinner server was just "ok". Not alot of personality, never really smiled or seemed to enjoy his job. Our food was just "ok". My suggestion is to stop at another restaurant in the area.Special Features:
- Not your average restaurant.MicheleDined on 5/10/2014Was excited to visit Saxon + Parole because of reviews I had read, leading me there for a special occasion. This is not your average bar. Very well appointed, with an extensive bar, wine and specialty drink selection. The menu selection is definitely geared toward an elevated culinary palate. I fully expected the bill to reflect the quality of the food - and it did. So, be prepared. Our service was not extraordinary, except for refilling my water each time I took a sip, and our meals were delicious.Special Features:
- Where to dine in the VilliageLuv2dineatsaxparDined on 5/7/2014The Saxon and Parole, has soo much to offer, excellent service from the bar and table teams who's knowledge of what's on offer on the menu is shared in an impressive and most importantly a friendly way. The Saxon is the perfect way to start a excellent night out in Greenwich Village being located on Bowery and Bleecker street with its great night life on offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Swing and a missBzaitaVIPDined on 5/5/2014Ate here on a recent Monday night. We found little reason to return a second time. The food was OK but nothing special. The service was inattentive at best. Many other restaurants to try and spend money on. There are many better seats to rent in this citySpecial Features:
- The following 480 reviews are from the Saxon + Parole reviews archive.
- TERRIBLE SERVICEhungryhippoDined on 5/4/2014I had a 6:15pm reservation for a party of 4. The service was SO slow. By 8:12pm our entrees had been cleared....that is over TWO hours for TWO courses. Our server dropped the dessert menus at 8:12 and he disappeared again. Our cocktails were never offered refills. They missed an opportunity to sell us additional cocktails, desserts and sides because the server NEVER checked on us. Ridiculous
- terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 5/3/2014Service could not have been worse. The bar was so packed that our drinks didn't arrive. The waiter even brought over complimentary wine to make up for the delay in cocktails. We asked for bread which arrived about 30 minutes later. My friend ordered a side of fries with his steak. The fries never arrived, despite reminding the waiter. Complimentary sorbet was brought to the table as an apology. Overall, the food was good but the service so awful that I would never go back, nor recommend this restaurant to anyone. What a shame!Special Features:
- LES hot spotGoNYDined on 5/3/2014Great atmosphere, fine food & welcoming staff. Perfect for a spring or summer evening in New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.