9601 Third Ave
Stone Harbor, NJ 08247Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reedsatshelterhaven.com/
- Phone: 6093680100x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30am.
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm.
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Hamill
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Reeds offers a variety of private banquet spaces that can accommodate 10 to 220 guests. Please contact The Reeds Sales Department at 609.368.0100 ext 2000 for more information on private party menus and availability.
- Entertainment: State of the art music system - song writers
- Special Events: The Reeds offers a variety of private banquet spaces that can accommodate 10 to 220 guests. Please contact The Reeds Sales Department at 609.368.0100 ext 2000 for more information on private party menus and availability.
A word from SAX Restaurant
Contemporary cuisine with a unique coastal vibe in an intimately casual atmosphere. Open every day of the year, Sax offers a full menu with seasonal fireside dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
SAX Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (14)special occasion (10)romantic (8)notable wine list (7)great for outdoor dining (5)neighborhood gem (3)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not worth itjustmarried0730Dined on 8/23/2014The food was good but the portion size was not enough for the price. When the entrees came out I really wanted to ask where the rest of our food was. The entrees list sides on the menu but the sides you are so small. I left and had to go home and eat something since i was still hungry. I wouldn't go back as they are overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- OPEN TABLE SAX FAILUREbrobertDined on 8/10/2014THE RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED ON THE CONFIRMED TIME. OPEN TABLE AND SAX FAILED
- What a festive atmospheremginamgVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had dinner here on a whim. We're residents of Stone Harbor, and find ourselves eating in Sax most frequently. We had great drinks before dinner; we shared a delicious starter; we each enjoyed a scrumptious entrée; and we finished with a dessert drink from the menu!! It was a great experience from soup to nuts!!Special Features:
- Simple and ElegantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014Basic dishes, but perfectly prepared and seasoned. The service still needs a little work to catch up.Special Features:
- Great Date Night in Stone HarborAHogenDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I have dined at Sax twice and both times the food was excellent. I love the decor and upscale ambiance. We had drinks at the bayfront restaurant at sunset to complete a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great room with a cool vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2014Saw the negative reviews, were a bit hesitant but a friend who is a fussy foodie had a great meal, so.. Dining room with beautiful decor, cool vibe. Music, Billy Holiday, great. Wine, we were offered tastings to decide.Red needs to be a bit cooler it was warm. Server, Marcus, very professional. The food was very good. Fresh house salad was dressed lightly. Excellent mussels. Perfect filet, only the very tasty potatoes were not hot. The tuna was good needed a bit more of a hard sear. Desserts complex, Loved the fried rice pudding, very rich but worth it! Got loud with a few large parties. Noticed that dishes were often placed in front of the wrong people. We did not have that problem. Will definitely try again. Had a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good experienceCPlaceVIPDined on 7/9/2014This is our 4th visit to Sax restaurant in Stone Harbor. Each time the service has been excellent, food consistently good and quiet enough to have a conversation without yelling across the table. There were families, couples, small groups eating there and the noise level was still good. That is a rare find at the shore. Enjoyed the specialty cocktails and nice selection of wine. Salmon special was delicious. They even had a fantastic gluten free dessert.Special Features:
- Unprofessional serviceBearsmomVIPDined on 7/2/2014Blaming the bartender for late drinks and the chef neglecting to add and vegetarian entrees on his being very busy opening other restaurants is completely unprofessional and off-putting. And seriously, in this day and she in a supposedly modern establishment, no vegetarian options? Thumbs DOWN. We won't be back
- Swing and missSpitdocVIPDined on 7/2/2014Food was good not great but consistent. The service flaws became numerous. We were given two courses without silverware and had to ask for some twice. The main server or his team did not clear ANY plates before asking if we would like to have dessert. It has potential but for the price the ok food and amateurish service must improve. Very nice setting and bar seemed appealing but empty as well. Had far better meal at Steve and Cookies in Margate and La Fontana Coast in SIC. Lots of potential but way too many mistakes and sloppy service concept. If they respond to many minor things that added up, could be a great destination but current experience felt expensive
- Great food, awful seatingJoeMDined on 6/28/2014My girlfriend and I were both floored by the quality of our dinner. Superb. But the seating was awful and the ambience was unoriginal and you never forgot you were in a hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Passable for ConvenienceNeuron123VIPDined on 6/14/2014If you are staying at the Reeds, and you don't feel like walking across the street, the SAX is passable. The menu is unimaginative and the food is under seasoned. It is convenient.
- Surprisingly Nice MealjdwbaltoDined on 6/12/2014We have been coming to Stone Harbor for many years. With the Reeds now anchoring a prominent corner in town, we looked forward to trying out the Sax restaurant. The mediocre reviews gave us some pause. We had a very good meal. All three courses were presented nicely. The food was well prepared and tasty. I do feel the prices are, perhaps, slightly high, but not unexpected in a resort location. The staff was friendly and attentive, almost to a fault ( but I can't take points off for this effort ), a situation which will improve as the venue matures. Overall, we had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Very expensive! Food was Not worth the price. Great service, nice staff but for the cost of the meal I expected to love my meal and I didn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and ambianceReReVIPDined on 6/4/2014I love Stone Harbor most before the seasons starts fully. I am so pleased to have such a lovely spot as Sax open all year. Our meal was great and the service was good, given the restaurant was less than full. However, the host did not acknowledge our arrival with Open Table and I received a reprimand from Open Table for failing to honor my reservation. Plus, I had called twice earlier in the day to confirm details and no one returned my call as promised on the voice mail. These omissions raise questions and room for doubts. I SO want this establishment to be wildly successful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!!!MitchDined on 6/1/2014All the bases were covered from service to food to the beautiful setting. Server Marcus was professional and a asset to the company.Special Features:
- Very expensive, no children's menuluvtorevuDined on 6/1/2014Our meal was good, but very expensive. Plus there was no children's menu available, and they would not let us order off the children's menu being served at the outdoor bar located just outside the restaurant even though it is in the same hotel, located just 50 yards away. What hotel restaurant in a family-oriented beach town doesn't offer a children's menu??
- It overestimates itselfOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/27/2014The entire vibe of Sax tries to present an upscale dining experience and is priced accordingly. Unfortunately the food just really isn't that great. It's not bad, it's just not what they think it is or pretend it is. Most people are coming from the Philly or New York area to Avalon and most probably know what a four star dinner tastes like. So they're not really fooling anyone. There are much better places to eat on the island, like Fuze.
- DisappointingShorebndDined on 5/24/2014This was my 4th dinner there in 8 months & the 2nd time that I brought a group. The menu's become pedestrian; no specials. Two entrees were served cold - bronzinos; we had to wait until 2 more were cooked. Altho' many tables were empty when we arrived, our table for 7 had not been set up. We had a child with us & we asked if an item from the Water Star Grille menu could be served. The response was that my group had to move outside to that area where it was windy and cold. Two after dinner drinks, Sambuca, were served without coffee beans & it on the verge of turning - terrible “bouquet;" borderline taste. I won't return to such a bland menu @ an organization that is so user unfriendly. The formerly free valet service has a $7 charge!
- The following 39 reviews are from the SAX Restaurant reviews archive.
- Disappointing BrunchSJfoodieDined on 5/18/2014I was looking forward to trying Sunday brunch at The Reeds however it was a real disappointment. The smaller, more intimate dining room was booked for a wedding brunch. Buffet was the only option. It would have been nice to have the option of ordering off of the menu. The presentation of the different stations was sparse. The room felt very much like a banquet room and we were the only table seated inside. The service was ok, nothing spectacular. All in all, not an experience I wish to repeat anytime soon.Special Features:
- Very unimpressedDisapointedDined on 5/13/2014My wife and I dine out at least twice a week, usually in Cape May but wanted to try Sax. The hostess and bartender were very good and pleasant. As we entered the dining area there was a strong fishy smell. The server was interactive and pleasant. The food, not so good. Don't mind paying the high price but the food should compliment the costs. Very bland and Steak not prepared to temp as requested. It was sent back and returned quickly with nothing done to it. The server was saying the cook was blaming the cut of the meat (New your strip). Never heard that one before. The "grilled" asparagus was awful, it tasked like an uncleaned cast iron pan, black oily residue was left on the plate. Wife did not eat her diner and for it, got $10.00 off.
- Closed1210VIPDined on 5/13/2014Made a reservation for SAX at 12:45 pm for Tuesday May 13. When we got there the restaurant was closed. In that we drove quite a distance to dine there we were vey upset at this miscommunication between the restaurant and Open Table. I have written to Open Table for an answer but to no avail. Thus the above ratings are not reflective our an experience but posted so that we can submit this to open table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Training neededBrunchVIPDined on 5/12/2014Second time here. Was first doused by the waitress pouring our water Then our order took forever after another large party was seated The bartender chipped in and showed better service Food was "sparse" for the price First time was better Second time a disappointment Left hungry
- Service needs workAmooDined on 5/11/2014Made 1:30 reservation for 6 for Mother's Day Brunch - arrived 5 minutes before time, was told we'd be seated closer to 2pm. When I stated that the reservation was made for 1:30 I was told "well, we have three seatings today, and the next one is at 2pm." When I asked why I was not informed of that (and why I could even make a reservation for an earlier time) I was answered with a shrug and a point towards the lounge. Staff had a difficult time keeping the buffet full of food - were they not aware of how many guests to expect at the "next seating"? (i.e. via reservations?). When a guest politely notified a server that there was no more cocktail sauce for the seafood items, she was told "ok, we'll get to it."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekly visitsmginamgVIPDined on 3/12/2014We go to The Sax Restaurant every week for lunch because the menu is so versatile. Their weekly specials are so beautifully presented, and the amazing thing is that they're just as good as they look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchLimaDined on 2/16/2014I love the fact that the salad you get with the entree for lunch is a real salad and delicious, as were the fries. My entire party of 6 enjoyed their lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great retreat, very noisyMadotzDined on 2/15/2014The restaurant is very trendy. Great food and service, but the noise level when it is full is terrible. We could not hear each other's conversation and we were directly across from each other.Special Features:
- Valentine DatecatwizVIPDined on 2/14/2014Menu was interesting and varied, even for a busy night like this one. Room was bright, but classy. Entres were small in size, but really good, so I was happy with that. We had chocolate fondue for two, That was a very romantic touch!Special Features:
- A Surprising DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/14/2014To try someplace new off-season in Cape May, we drove 12 miles to Sax, worth every mile of the drive! Located in a small hotel, Sax has a separate bar area with its own menu. (The dining room menu is also available here.) The decor in the bar is sophisticated and upscale, but not stuffy.There is also a deck overlooking the bay for casual summer dining. The sophisticated ambience continues in the dining room, with gentle lighting, dark brown walls, and a romantic fireplace. The menu had an adequate range of offerings. My husband loved his Lobster Mac and Cheese , and my 8 oz Beef Tenderloin was perfect.Portions were sensibly sized.I should say that the service was excellent as well: friendly and attentive but not intrusive. We'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seashore Dinner TreatAliChopDined on 12/29/2013We went to Sax on a cold wet December night but they had a fire burning in the fire place which helped to keep away the dampness. Even with this being the off season there was a good number of people that came in for dinner around the same time. The servers had to be really on their toes to keep up. There was 1 waitress and a maître d working and the hotel bartender that came in to help. At times service did seem thin but they were extremely nice. As for the meals we ordered filets and they were cooked and seasoned wonderfully. They came with a very small portion of garlic mashed potatoes which could have been more. We also had dessert and it was very good too. Overall it was a nice meal and I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchAmooDined on 12/29/2013Very attentive service. Wide variety of food selections on buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent 7 Mile Island DiningEndothelinDined on 10/12/2013October 12, 2013 was a cold, rainy, windy nor’easter night. My party arrived a few minutes before 7 and were immediately seated by the fireplace which took the chill off on such an evening. The service was professional and without a hitch--everyone knew their role. I thought the wine list was impressive both in scope and value. It took very little effort to find a winner--a Marlborough Sauv Blanc. The best dishes of the night were the crab cake appetizer, uniquely paired w/pickled onions and a tzatziki sauce, the veal chop special, cooked to pink perfection and served with grilled seasonal vegetables, and the apple strudel dessert. I thought the overall experience was outstanding at that price point and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not return to Sax01MJVIPDined on 9/28/2013We went because we are local to Avalon. The restaurant,Sax, is in a hotel so the diners are sometimes family groups. The restaurant is right next to the wedding room, so you hear the blaring dj and the bass vibration the entire time. This noise is on top of the already very loud dining room.The decor is nice but not at all intimate. The wine list was not properly assorted nor edited to be inclusive of basic French Chardonnay nor a mid range Champagne. The list is low end and then high end; no middle.The food was the biggest disappointment of all. The basic caesar salad had tomotoes and was plated in a bowl. We did not enjoy our entrees of meatloaf and grouper. Grouper was in broth; overdone and over spiced. The meatloaf was not interesting.
- We would go back for sure.JackDined on 9/21/2013We would go back for sure. Food was excellent, service was superior and the setting was just what we wanted. Our server, Teresa, was very personable yet professional. Another server (Mark, a friend & Avalon neighbor) recommended the soup and the double-cut pork chop... both were incredible.Special Features:
- too badTrishDined on 9/18/2013Shame the service ruins your night . took 55 mins just to get bread and its the OFF Season ! Wonder how they make it during the height of the season?. No staff teamwork and they were clearly over their head . Should have listened to my friend who dined there weeks ago. They had same experience I hope they take the feedback and turn things around !
- New Spot in Stone HarborNickDined on 9/16/2013Both the inside and outside locations are very good. Great sunsets. Food was excellentSpecial Features:
- Pleasantly surprised. ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/7/2013Pleasantly surprised. Expected an overpriced, seasonal "place to go", and actually experienced a fairly priced dinner of decent quality. No soup, salad, or vegetables and not the freshest rolls, but drink prices were reasonable. Service was fine, and the decor refreshing. Not bad for a resort town establishment. I will recommend and return again.
- OVERPRICEDFoodMomVIPDined on 8/27/2013Sax tries to be an elegant hip restaurant but misses the mark. It is very overpriced. $5 for a cup of coffee and no one offered a refill. The waitress might have been good but she seemed to have been waiting on tables all over the restaurant. It was difficult to get her attention because she never seemed to be near our table. The person pouring the water did not pay attention so water glasses went empty. The decor was okay but it had the feeling of a hotel coffee shop. The food was passable but the chicken I had was swimming in sauce. Free valet parking was a plus.
- Elegant Dining Option on the IslandShimmerE01VIPDined on 8/25/2013One of the truly best restaurants in the Avalon/Stone Harbor area. The cuisine is equal to what you would find in Atlantic City or Philadelphia. The service is really outstanding as well. They're friendly, knowledgeable, and best of all, have a great understanding of server manners.Special Features:
- First time here and will return.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2013First time here and will return. The food was excellent. All four of us had a different menu item and we all agreed. Service was great and the place is very upscale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not What I ExpectedJW60Dined on 8/7/2013The prices were on the high side ($38 entree $15 apps) but at the shore everywhere is a little high. The guys ordered the Ribeye 12 oz steaks and were very disappoionted as the steaks were only a 1/4 inch thick and the potatoes were cold. The bus staff needs more training how and when to bus a table. It was like they were hustling us out. Also, we tried to book a table for six on line and was told it would be 8 weeks, yet when we were there it was 1/2 empty! Maybe when they are opened for a bit longer they can work out the kinks, train the busers and get the reservations straight. If they are charging $38 for a steak, they need to get the real thing!Special Features: