9601 Third Ave
Stone Harbor, NJ 08247Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.reedsatshelterhaven.com/
- Phone: (609) 368-0100
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturdays 7:30am – 11am
Brunch: Sundays 10am – 2pm
Lunch: Monday – Saturday 11am – 5pm
Dinner: Sunday – Thursday 5pm – 9pm;
Friday & Saturday 5pm – 10pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tim Hamill
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: The Reeds offers a variety of private banquet spaces that can accommodate 10 to 220 guests. Please contact The Reeds Sales Department at 609.368.0100 ext 2000 for more information on private party menus and availability.
- Entertainment: State of the art music system - song writers
- Special Events: The Reeds offers a variety of private banquet spaces that can accommodate 10 to 220 guests. Please contact The Reeds Sales Department at 609.368.0100 ext 2000 for more information on private party menus and availability.
A word from SAX Restaurant
Contemporary cuisine with a unique coastal vibe in an intimately casual atmosphere. Open every day of the year, Sax offers a full menu with seasonal fireside dining.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
SAX Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Stone Harbor ›
SAX Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
31 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (18)special occasion (15)notable wine list (11)romantic (10)neighborhood gem (7)scenic view (5)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)good for groups (1)Show More
- Fabulous food!theodocDined on 10/17/2014This was my first time to Sax and I will definitely return when I am in the area. The menu is pricey, but no more so than any other high end restaurant. My companion and I both had steaks - filet and ribeye - and each was perfectly cooked and seasoned. They also had a seasonal pumpkin drink and pumpkin pot dessert which I enjoyed immensely since I do not get seasonal treats like that in Miami where I live. The only reason the noise level was high was because there was a wedding in the next room. Otherwise it would have been delightfully quiet and pleasant. A definite treat! Do not miss it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014Moderate portion size but excellent quality. Pace was appropriate .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/11/2014We were pleasantly surprised by Sax given some of the reviews. Food was very good and the room is very nice - perfect for a better end beach resurant. Service was fine but a bit slow due to wedding in the ballroom (noise from wedding was not overpowering and we mostly forgot it was there). Prices are too high given quality of food and wine / drink prices are very high. The room is very nice which is in part due to it being the off season. We will go back though but not for drinks before.Special Features:
- Good food, over-priced drinksDiningOutDined on 10/4/2014The food was good (but expected better quality and more than a smearing of mashed potatoes for the price), drinks overpriced ($20 for a cosmo?) and the wait staff was attentive, but not very experienced. One dropped dishes while clearing the table, another served from the wrong side, and the waiter had to read the specials from a cheat sheet. We had to ask for more water, even with empty glasses. The restaurant was impacted by the noise from a wedding just outside the door. When the ballroom door opened, the restaurant patrons heard all that was going on inside, drowning out their own conversations. For the price I paid for this dinner ($85 per person), I did not expect a lower-level chain restaurant experience. Not going back...Special Features:
- Still working out kinksAvalongirlDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I have dined here on several occasions. This visit was disappointing. The French Onion Soup was barely warm. It needed to be sent back. I am not a fish eater so I ordered the roast chicken. The au jus was watery and flavorless. I attribute our disappointment to the fact The Reeds was hosting a large wedding party in the "ballroom". I will go back but I'll make sure there is no wedding. The staff cannot handle both wedding reception and fine dining.Special Features:
- Very goodteamguidoDined on 9/27/2014Very good drinks at the bar. The martini and manhattan were made very well. Table for two was comfortable but noise level was very high. Starters, entrees and dessert were excellent. Service was very good. Very pleasant experience...but alittle noisy. We would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Dining ExperienceTravelPopPopDined on 9/22/2014My wife and I were spending a few days at the Reeds and decided to try SAX on our final evening. The resturant is beautiful and upscale. Staff was pleasent, knowledgable, and efficient. Pre dinner drinks at the bar were excellent. The West Coast oysters were outstanding as was my wife's shrimp cocktail. My short ribs were tender and flavorful, and my wife's roasted half chicken was moist and cooked to perfection. We cose from a very impressive swine selection, and enjoyed an excellent red. We shared the coconut ice cream for a great desert. Overall, a memorable meal. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Really Good. Extremely OverpricedKecLVIPDined on 9/20/2014The food is really good. The atmosphere and decor is the second best in Stone Harbor. But, that shouldn't mean you pay NYC prices for your drinks and dinner. Extremely overpriced.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stone Harbor GemCPlaceVIPDined on 9/17/2014We have been to SAX Resturant 4 times this year and were never disappointed. The service, food and drinks were always consistently good. We have been seated on time each visit. Great drink menu and good wine list. The prices are high - but no more that the other upscale restaurants in the area. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014Food was excellent and had not one complaint, but the service was very poor and made a terrific meal an average experience.Special Features:
- Not worth itjustmarried0730Dined on 8/23/2014The food was good but the portion size was not enough for the price. When the entrees came out I really wanted to ask where the rest of our food was. The entrees list sides on the menu but the sides you are so small. I left and had to go home and eat something since i was still hungry. I wouldn't go back as they are overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- OPEN TABLE SAX FAILUREbrobertDined on 8/10/2014THE RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED ON THE CONFIRMED TIME. OPEN TABLE AND SAX FAILED
- What a festive atmospheremginamgVIPDined on 8/9/2014My husband and I had dinner here on a whim. We're residents of Stone Harbor, and find ourselves eating in Sax most frequently. We had great drinks before dinner; we shared a delicious starter; we each enjoyed a scrumptious entrée; and we finished with a dessert drink from the menu!! It was a great experience from soup to nuts!!Special Features:
- The following 54 reviews are from the SAX Restaurant reviews archive.
- Simple and ElegantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/24/2014Basic dishes, but perfectly prepared and seasoned. The service still needs a little work to catch up.Special Features:
- Great Date Night in Stone HarborAHogenDined on 7/16/2014My husband and I have dined at Sax twice and both times the food was excellent. I love the decor and upscale ambiance. We had drinks at the bayfront restaurant at sunset to complete a perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great room with a cool vibeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/13/2014Saw the negative reviews, were a bit hesitant but a friend who is a fussy foodie had a great meal, so.. Dining room with beautiful decor, cool vibe. Music, Billy Holiday, great. Wine, we were offered tastings to decide.Red needs to be a bit cooler it was warm. Server, Marcus, very professional. The food was very good. Fresh house salad was dressed lightly. Excellent mussels. Perfect filet, only the very tasty potatoes were not hot. The tuna was good needed a bit more of a hard sear. Desserts complex, Loved the fried rice pudding, very rich but worth it! Got loud with a few large parties. Noticed that dishes were often placed in front of the wrong people. We did not have that problem. Will definitely try again. Had a very nice evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good experienceCPlaceVIPDined on 7/9/2014This is our 4th visit to Sax restaurant in Stone Harbor. Each time the service has been excellent, food consistently good and quiet enough to have a conversation without yelling across the table. There were families, couples, small groups eating there and the noise level was still good. That is a rare find at the shore. Enjoyed the specialty cocktails and nice selection of wine. Salmon special was delicious. They even had a fantastic gluten free dessert.Special Features:
- Unprofessional serviceBearsmomVIPDined on 7/2/2014Blaming the bartender for late drinks and the chef neglecting to add and vegetarian entrees on his being very busy opening other restaurants is completely unprofessional and off-putting. And seriously, in this day and she in a supposedly modern establishment, no vegetarian options? Thumbs DOWN. We won't be back
- Swing and missSpitdocVIPDined on 7/2/2014Food was good not great but consistent. The service flaws became numerous. We were given two courses without silverware and had to ask for some twice. The main server or his team did not clear ANY plates before asking if we would like to have dessert. It has potential but for the price the ok food and amateurish service must improve. Very nice setting and bar seemed appealing but empty as well. Had far better meal at Steve and Cookies in Margate and La Fontana Coast in SIC. Lots of potential but way too many mistakes and sloppy service concept. If they respond to many minor things that added up, could be a great destination but current experience felt expensive
- Great food, awful seatingJoeMDined on 6/28/2014My girlfriend and I were both floored by the quality of our dinner. Superb. But the seating was awful and the ambience was unoriginal and you never forgot you were in a hotel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's Passable for ConvenienceNeuron123VIPDined on 6/14/2014If you are staying at the Reeds, and you don't feel like walking across the street, the SAX is passable. The menu is unimaginative and the food is under seasoned. It is convenient.
- Surprisingly Nice MealjdwbaltoDined on 6/12/2014We have been coming to Stone Harbor for many years. With the Reeds now anchoring a prominent corner in town, we looked forward to trying out the Sax restaurant. The mediocre reviews gave us some pause. We had a very good meal. All three courses were presented nicely. The food was well prepared and tasty. I do feel the prices are, perhaps, slightly high, but not unexpected in a resort location. The staff was friendly and attentive, almost to a fault ( but I can't take points off for this effort ), a situation which will improve as the venue matures. Overall, we had a delightful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014Very expensive! Food was Not worth the price. Great service, nice staff but for the cost of the meal I expected to love my meal and I didn't.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and ambianceReReVIPDined on 6/4/2014I love Stone Harbor most before the seasons starts fully. I am so pleased to have such a lovely spot as Sax open all year. Our meal was great and the service was good, given the restaurant was less than full. However, the host did not acknowledge our arrival with Open Table and I received a reprimand from Open Table for failing to honor my reservation. Plus, I had called twice earlier in the day to confirm details and no one returned my call as promised on the voice mail. These omissions raise questions and room for doubts. I SO want this establishment to be wildly successful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!!!MitchDined on 6/1/2014All the bases were covered from service to food to the beautiful setting. Server Marcus was professional and a asset to the company.Special Features:
- Very expensive, no children's menuluvtorevuDined on 6/1/2014Our meal was good, but very expensive. Plus there was no children's menu available, and they would not let us order off the children's menu being served at the outdoor bar located just outside the restaurant even though it is in the same hotel, located just 50 yards away. What hotel restaurant in a family-oriented beach town doesn't offer a children's menu??
- It overestimates itselfOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/27/2014The entire vibe of Sax tries to present an upscale dining experience and is priced accordingly. Unfortunately the food just really isn't that great. It's not bad, it's just not what they think it is or pretend it is. Most people are coming from the Philly or New York area to Avalon and most probably know what a four star dinner tastes like. So they're not really fooling anyone. There are much better places to eat on the island, like Fuze.
- DisappointingShorebndDined on 5/24/2014This was my 4th dinner there in 8 months & the 2nd time that I brought a group. The menu's become pedestrian; no specials. Two entrees were served cold - bronzinos; we had to wait until 2 more were cooked. Altho' many tables were empty when we arrived, our table for 7 had not been set up. We had a child with us & we asked if an item from the Water Star Grille menu could be served. The response was that my group had to move outside to that area where it was windy and cold. Two after dinner drinks, Sambuca, were served without coffee beans & it on the verge of turning - terrible “bouquet;" borderline taste. I won't return to such a bland menu @ an organization that is so user unfriendly. The formerly free valet service has a $7 charge!
- Disappointing BrunchSJfoodieDined on 5/18/2014I was looking forward to trying Sunday brunch at The Reeds however it was a real disappointment. The smaller, more intimate dining room was booked for a wedding brunch. Buffet was the only option. It would have been nice to have the option of ordering off of the menu. The presentation of the different stations was sparse. The room felt very much like a banquet room and we were the only table seated inside. The service was ok, nothing spectacular. All in all, not an experience I wish to repeat anytime soon.Special Features:
- Very unimpressedDisapointedDined on 5/13/2014My wife and I dine out at least twice a week, usually in Cape May but wanted to try Sax. The hostess and bartender were very good and pleasant. As we entered the dining area there was a strong fishy smell. The server was interactive and pleasant. The food, not so good. Don't mind paying the high price but the food should compliment the costs. Very bland and Steak not prepared to temp as requested. It was sent back and returned quickly with nothing done to it. The server was saying the cook was blaming the cut of the meat (New your strip). Never heard that one before. The "grilled" asparagus was awful, it tasked like an uncleaned cast iron pan, black oily residue was left on the plate. Wife did not eat her diner and for it, got $10.00 off.
- Closed1210VIPDined on 5/13/2014Made a reservation for SAX at 12:45 pm for Tuesday May 13. When we got there the restaurant was closed. In that we drove quite a distance to dine there we were vey upset at this miscommunication between the restaurant and Open Table. I have written to Open Table for an answer but to no avail. Thus the above ratings are not reflective our an experience but posted so that we can submit this to open table.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Training neededBrunchVIPDined on 5/12/2014Second time here. Was first doused by the waitress pouring our water Then our order took forever after another large party was seated The bartender chipped in and showed better service Food was "sparse" for the price First time was better Second time a disappointment Left hungry
- Service needs workAmooDined on 5/11/2014Made 1:30 reservation for 6 for Mother's Day Brunch - arrived 5 minutes before time, was told we'd be seated closer to 2pm. When I stated that the reservation was made for 1:30 I was told "well, we have three seatings today, and the next one is at 2pm." When I asked why I was not informed of that (and why I could even make a reservation for an earlier time) I was answered with a shrug and a point towards the lounge. Staff had a difficult time keeping the buffet full of food - were they not aware of how many guests to expect at the "next seating"? (i.e. via reservations?). When a guest politely notified a server that there was no more cocktail sauce for the seafood items, she was told "ok, we'll get to it."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weekly visitsmginamgVIPDined on 3/12/2014We go to The Sax Restaurant every week for lunch because the menu is so versatile. Their weekly specials are so beautifully presented, and the amazing thing is that they're just as good as they look.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchLimaDined on 2/16/2014I love the fact that the salad you get with the entree for lunch is a real salad and delicious, as were the fries. My entire party of 6 enjoyed their lunchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great retreat, very noisyMadotzDined on 2/15/2014The restaurant is very trendy. Great food and service, but the noise level when it is full is terrible. We could not hear each other's conversation and we were directly across from each other.Special Features:
- Valentine DatecatwizVIPDined on 2/14/2014Menu was interesting and varied, even for a busy night like this one. Room was bright, but classy. Entres were small in size, but really good, so I was happy with that. We had chocolate fondue for two, That was a very romantic touch!Special Features:
- A Surprising DiscoveryOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/14/2014To try someplace new off-season in Cape May, we drove 12 miles to Sax, worth every mile of the drive! Located in a small hotel, Sax has a separate bar area with its own menu. (The dining room menu is also available here.) The decor in the bar is sophisticated and upscale, but not stuffy.There is also a deck overlooking the bay for casual summer dining. The sophisticated ambience continues in the dining room, with gentle lighting, dark brown walls, and a romantic fireplace. The menu had an adequate range of offerings. My husband loved his Lobster Mac and Cheese , and my 8 oz Beef Tenderloin was perfect.Portions were sensibly sized.I should say that the service was excellent as well: friendly and attentive but not intrusive. We'll return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seashore Dinner TreatAliChopDined on 12/29/2013We went to Sax on a cold wet December night but they had a fire burning in the fire place which helped to keep away the dampness. Even with this being the off season there was a good number of people that came in for dinner around the same time. The servers had to be really on their toes to keep up. There was 1 waitress and a maître d working and the hotel bartender that came in to help. At times service did seem thin but they were extremely nice. As for the meals we ordered filets and they were cooked and seasoned wonderfully. They came with a very small portion of garlic mashed potatoes which could have been more. We also had dessert and it was very good too. Overall it was a nice meal and I would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchAmooDined on 12/29/2013Very attentive service. Wide variety of food selections on buffet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.