Sawtooth Restaurant & Lounge
1350 W Randolph
Chicago, IL 60607Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
Sawtooth Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sawtoothrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3125263320
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Everyday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Vietnamese, Asian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Sawtooth Restaurant & Lounge
Sawtooth is a restaurant and lounge serving fresh vietnamese cuisine. The menu is based on small plates served as a communal meal, a shared experience customary in vietnamese dining. Like the kitchen the beverages are held to same standard featuring organic and biodynamic wines, local microbrews and cocktails made from house-infused spiritsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sawtooth Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
- The place has shut down.funloveralwaysDined on 10/8/2013Drove for 1.1 hours to get there to find out the place has shut down as business. Just fantastic!!!Special Features:
- Horrible birthday dinnerFoodLoveDined on 9/28/2013This place was horrible in every way possible. The waiter was nice but that doesn't make up for all of the other issues I experienced there. I will not be going back nor will I ever recommend any one to go there either. Horrible place to go for my birthday with the service and atmosphere they provided
- New Owners- not goodMarianneVIPDined on 9/27/2013Sawtooth had great reviews. I made a reservation for 5 on a Friday night. They had no record of my Open Table reservation, first bad sign. No big deal though, only one other table was filled. This was the second bad sign. Then they told us they were out of shrimp, third bad sign. 4-5 of their menu items (very short menu) had shrimp in them. Later when we ordered a second glass of wine, we found out that they were out of that wine, 4th bad signe. Hmmm. Sounds like someone is not paying their bills. Our server was more involved with watching a game than waiting on us. We heard later from him that there are new owners and the place it turning into an event space. The food was ok but not amazing except for the beef which was incredible.
- Online menu does not reflectivnviDined on 9/27/2013Online menu does not reflect what is served...nachos and chips and guac, glorified thai noodles and chicken curry...out of cocktails on list, server seemed confused. Great space but won't be surprised when this place shuts down. Will not return.
- Favorite Things MissingNeighborhoodyDined on 9/27/2013The first time I ate here, the seafood clay pot was awesome, as was the drink selection. This most recent visit revealed a much slimmer and less enticing menu, with no red wine options to choose from. I was left to order a $12 cocktail that tasted fine, but was ordered as a result of lack of other options.
- I'd give it 0 stars...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2013Hands down the worst dining experience I've had in Chicago. Inattentive wait staff. Nasty, greasy food. And about 100 barefoot, high kids from the nearby music festival sitting cross-legged at the tables didn't help. Then the internet went down and we waited 45 minutes for a bill that never came. I was told the credit card machine didn't work and I should go to the ATM. Went, got cash, put some money down on the table an no one said a word. It was so bad, we walked home in the middle of a severe thunderstorm and torrential rain to get out of there.
- The most perfect cocktails everOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013This restaurant had some of the best original cocktails I've ever had. The service was wonderful as well. Food was very spicy, but very good and served quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take your time.d8nvnDined on 4/27/2013Small restaurant, nice atmosphere. Good range of flavors on the menu. Food is tasty with good presentation and certainly you won't go away hungry.Service is a bit rough, but they do try to please.In sum. Come early, be patient, bring friends to spend the evening with and you will be rewarded.Special Features:
- Great service. Rather dead.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/20/2013Great service. Rather dead. We were the only customers. Dining room temperature uncomfortably low. Really cold the seats for the table were cold. I sat on my coat and wrapped a shawl around me.
- Food was good, however dessertsswasgrafxDined on 2/16/2013Food was good, however desserts are lacking selection, taste and appeal. Specialty cocktails are delicious. Try to finish by 10 pm otherwise the restaurant becomes a "themed" lounge which maybe a little awkward for some.Special Features:
- Too pricey for food qualityRobiDined on 2/9/2013Too pricey for food quality and quantity. The techno music at the beginning of the evening was too loud and somewhat annoying. It was an "okay" experience, though I doubt we will return. We've eaten at terrific Vietnamese restaurants in the past and would not consider this restaurant amoung them.
- It was a great place, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 2/5/2013It was a great place, very slow and confused service. The food was good but not authentic at all and lacked some traditional flavor.
- Sawtooth is a Chicago GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/26/2013Sawtooth is a neighborhood gem. Upon arrival Saturday night our table was ready without delay. The ambiance is quaint with dim lighting, relaxed and hip at the same time with great background music. The restaurant is furnished modern and sleek with no detail spared,even the silverware adheres to the decor. The menu offers classic Vietnamese dishes with a modern twist, beautifully meshing fresh ingredients and different textures. Every dish we ordered was excellent, in particular the sea bass and crepe. The Mojitos are not to be missed!Special Features:
- Service was definitely onOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/12/2013Service was definitely on the slow and unattentive side. Food was decent but nowhere near the quality that they were charging for. Definitely a little overpriced. The place looks awesome and has very nice decor and abiance. Good location on Randolph.Special Features:
- We were skeptical about Sawtoothr14309Dined on 12/26/2012We were skeptical about Sawtooth after reading several bad reviews on yelp! We had a voucher from Gilt City and took a chance. Our wait, Juan went the extra mile to make us happy and contrary to the poor service reviews, our experience was fantastic. You must have the salmon roll appetizer, then shaking beef and salted prawn entrees. Excellent! They came with an awesome salad and glass noodle "garnish" that was equally amazing. Next time I would skip dessert, the passion fruit cake was mediocre. Overall a great experience. My one complaint was that the dining area looked more like a lounge than a restaurant and lacked ambience.Special Features:
- Had a group of 10 and theOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2012Had a group of 10 and the Resturant set us up in a private room with very attentive staff. Great experience and would go back again.Special Features:
- Great date spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/20/2012The staff at Sawtooth was amazing! The calamari is the best ive ever had and the cocktails were very fancy...I would definitely return :-)Special Features:
- Everything was great but afterOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/17/2012Everything was great but after around 10ish they pretty much want you out and the place turns into a dance club and we weren't invited. still would go back though!!
- This restaurant is great!NikiDined on 11/16/2012This restaurant is great! Had lots of good unique dishes and the waiter was able to help us make options vegetarian. Everyone was very helpful and there is free parking right in front of the restaurant!Special Features:
- Pleased, but longer for betterFoodGuruGuyDined on 11/9/2012Familiar with the cuisine, we had hoped to find more veg choices on the menu. Overall solid, but not great. The shrimp appetizer was surprisingly bland, the asparagus was chopped up (what?) and swimming in a sauce (please improve the menu description). The ambience is great and the restaurant was comfy. Ruou-do coctail was superb, by the way.
- Great, fresh Vietnamese food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/7/2012Great, fresh Vietnamese food. Would definitely come again!Special Features:
- Yummy flavors in a lovely roomMoonGirlNowVIPDined on 10/26/2012Dined here before a United Center event and had very good food. Hubby and I shared four appetizers - three were fantastic and one was just so-so. We highly recommend the Sawtooth Wings, the Wild King Salmon Rolls, and the Bo La Lot - lots of flavors - wonderful crunch to the wings. The only disappointment was the Bo Bia - kind of dull. Also, had a nice cocktail list and wine menu. The room is pleasantly spare and romantically lighted (i.e. not too bright) We will definitely return.Special Features:
- My husband and I enjoyed aKBW1Dined on 10/13/2012My husband and I enjoyed a quiet Vietnamese meal for two. Our waitress was excellent, and the owner is appreciative of your patronage.Special Features:
- I had a "deal" so it was aTarsVIPDined on 8/24/2012I had a "deal" so it was a pretty good value. However we were there on a Friday night and there was no one there, which is kind of strange. Food was ok. But we will probably not return. There are so many great restaurants in that neighborhood.
- Food was excellent and reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/7/2012Food was excellent and reasonably priced (for the neighborhood). We were there for an 8:30pm reservation on a Tuesday and were 4 of 10 people in the entire restaurant. By the time we finished (before 10pm) we were the only ones left. I'm sure that on the weekends, the atmosphere rivals the quality food, but during the week, it was very sleepy.
- The food was amazing - whichOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/1/2012The food was amazing - which is a shame, because absolutely NO one was there. I'm not sure how they are staying open considering we were the only customers that evening.
- I was not very impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/26/2012I was not very impressed with the food. However, I do not eat a lot on their menu. With that said, I do wish they had more vegetarian and shrimp free options. My friend however, seemed to enjoy her dishes more then me. The outdoor area is nice though. The decor of the place is clean and simple but not cold. The service was also nice.Special Features:
- My boyfriend and I recentlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2012My boyfriend and I recently tried this restaurant. He works in the area and we both really enjoy Vietnamese food. While the food was good, the ambiance and service were not there. If a restaurant is going to price entrees over $20, the service and ambiance need to be there in addition to quality food. The service was mediocre at best. They were out of several of their draft beers, and what they did have, I cannot speak to the freshness since they were still carrying a winter seasonal beer in July! The ambiance felt contrived, like they were trying too hard. Since this is a newer restaurant, I would be interested to see what changes are made once they have been open a little longer.Special Features:
- Food is excellent and original;OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/8/2012Food is excellent and original; this was our second visit, and we will return. Specials would be advisable; also, it's at the far end of the Market neighborhood strip of restaurants, and cabs don't pass by; it would be helpful if they restaurant offered a cab-calling service. By 9:30 or during our Friday-night dinner, though, the place began to fill up with some sort of amateur fashion show being photographed at the front of the house, which was very distracting -- as were the attempts to tweak a public address system -- and when we left, the bar was quite crowded; there was also a rope line being manned by large stern-looking guys, which suggested some sort of late-night rave. It definitely made the dining experience a bit strange.Special Features:
- I loved the ambiance and theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/21/2012I loved the ambiance and the staff there. Great atmosphere. I thought the food was good but not outstanding. With that said, we ate and enjoyed everything.
- From our spring rolls withrobertVIPDined on 5/5/2012From our spring rolls with a hint of fresh mint (a surprise and treat)to seafood with crispy noodle the food and service was excellent. The meal did end on a poor note. We ordered coffee and were not informed that this would result in a lengthy wait. After over 15 minutes without seeing our server or our coffee we asked another server to get us our check. There was only one other group being served so the delay could not have been because they were busy.
- For young foodies1diningmomDined on 5/4/2012This is a young person's spot, with pulsing music and a hip ambiance. We were, by far, the oldest people there (we're senior citizens), and the noise was bothersome. But the food and service were excellent. You do pay for the atmosphere; you can also get excellent Vietnamese food (with less attention to presentation) on Argyle street for half the price.Special Features:
- Small and intimate. WineOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/28/2012Small and intimate. Wine was good. Food was good. Especially the sea bass! Very accomodating with special requests (vegan/ vergetarian/ allergies)Special Features:
- Great people watching location.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/27/2012Great people watching location. Creative drink menu and exceptionally good food. Staff is pleasant and the restaurant turns into a lounge after 11pm. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- The waitress was very friendly,KeiJCVIPDined on 4/26/2012The waitress was very friendly, always had smile on her. Food was good. I enjoyed all of them.Special Features:
- New FavoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/23/2012This was my third visit to Sawtooth in less than 10 days, each time bringing a different group. For one thing, Sawtooth represents a Chicago rarity: a restaurant in which one can have a conversation without shouting. But most of the reason I returned so frequently was because we were interviewing out of town guests for a job, and after the first visit, I couldn't stop thinking about the food. The duck salad (with marinated cabbage, mint, and cilantro) is now something I dream about: The flavors are so fresh and bright. Another home run dish is the lemon grass chicken: sweet and spicy and hits all the right notes. The shaky beef is sooooo tender and delicious. A new favorite place! PS Try the cocktails: Unique/refreshing!Special Features:
- Sawtooth is very good in manyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/30/2012Sawtooth is very good in many areas but not great in any. That said, I'll likely be back at some point...absolutely worth a try!Special Features:
- Does not live up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/23/2012$10 dollar drinks.....average food. Would not go back. Place was empty at 8:00. Walked down to the publican to finish the evening. They were jammed. I know why the sawtooth was empty. I don't think they will be around by the end of summer,
- Good food, needs service worked onOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/14/2012My wife and I had an early reservation at 5pm, so it was quiet but welcoming. Easy to find for out of town-ers like us. The music playing was right on key with our taste - from our fave song of all time by Louis Armstrong all the way to the crooners of today. While the food was good, we did have one small complaint which was not of a big concern. However, the waiter essentially said "that's the way it is" made no attempt at correcting or even asking if he can make it better for us. Other than that, great music, great decor, not far from the Loop by car or transit. I would recommend it solely on ambience and its unique charm.Special Features:
- It was a new dining experinceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012It was a new dining experince and overall the food was good. I enjoyed the atmosphere and would definitely recommend this place and dine there again.Special Features: