Savory Square Bistro
32 Depot Square
Hampton, NH 03842Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Savory Square Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.savorysquarebistro.com/
- Phone: 6039262202
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Heidi 6039262202
A word from Savory Square Bistro
Bonjour! Located on NH's beautiful seacoast, The Bistro provides guests with a cozy and quaint dining experience. We have a small candlelit dining room and a separate room for the lounge which offers the full menu, has high tables, two TV's, a fireplace and a 14 seat bar. Relax and enjoy a fine multi-course meal in the dining room or pop into the bar for a beer and an appetizer...The Bistro's casual yet elegant atmosphere welcomes all who enjoy good food, good wine, and good times! Bon Appetit! Open Tuesday-Saturday. Dinner only. Reservations recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Savory Square Bistro - Best Restaurants in Hampton ›
Savory Square Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (39)fit for foodies (37)special occasion (33)romantic (27)notable wine list (12)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (4)good for groups (3)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014Excellent food and service,the reason to return againSpecial Features:
- PerfectKarandeDined on 9/10/2014A great night with friends... everything was perfect.Special Features:
- good food/atmospheresanfoodieDined on 8/28/2014The cocktails were fantastic, ambiance and table setting were very nice as well. Food was good. My only dissatisfaction was with the scallops, they were missing that good pan seat crust and I felt they were undercooked even after I sent them back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & serviceBobGDined on 8/27/2014Food and service was outsdanding. Price reasonable except for very small ice tea. I was also charged for the second one l ordered. Atmosphere was ok. Food and service made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014The dining experience was fabulous! The food was amazing from the apps, salad to desserts. Everything was fresh , the presentation was wonderful. I throughly enjoyed the experience. I will be back very soon! The staff was attentive and the service was good. I loved this restaurant and will be back again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute bistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/13/2014Surprisingly good food here & an interesting, varied menu. Service was friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsvtformeDined on 8/9/2014We dine here about once a month and have never had a bad meal. I love that they have "smaller" portions as an option. More restaurants should do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely gem--Sdmill9Dined on 8/1/2014Great evening dinner! Nice atmosphere. Great specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treatFoodieloverstimes2Dined on 7/29/2014We have been to the Savory Square Bistro several times and we've never been disappointed. The quality and presentation of the food is excellent and always delicious. The wait staff and hostess on our last visit were warm and welcoming and very accommodating. It is always a special treat and I look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprisetonydDined on 7/24/2014Found this restaurant, buried at the back of a parking lot, by accident...a very pleasant surprise! Food provides imaginative twists on some favorites...everything was very fresh and delicious. Simple apps like caesar and caprrse salads were elevated to an art form. My wife had the zucchini linguini; I had the shrimp scampi...both were excellent, and the homemade desserts wete incredible. The people were attentive, with the chef delivering some dishes himself. We highly recommend this place for a special occasion or simple dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulKimberly22Dined on 7/18/2014We have dined here before, but this was the best. I ordered the seafood portofino and it was truly outstanding! My husband ordered the short ribs and loved them, but was very disappointed in the quantiity. He only received two - and he left the table still hungry. Two really isn't enough when ordering them. He gets them at other places and gets 4-5. Other than the quantity, everything was good.Special Features:
- trained Chef, ex hospitalityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014Car next to me in the lot had an open beer in the console, decor inside was nice, manager who greeted us was pleasant, waitress was nice, knowledgeable, Lobster and wild mushroom app tasted good, but was way to creamy and heavy, suggestion would be less sauce. Filet was cooked perfect and truffle oil mash was great, wife's duck was ok, a little tough, sauce was good. Dessert was brought out by the Chef who reeked of fresh cigarette smoke! Creme brulee was not good, sugar topping was not done correctly and was chewy and not crisp. Overall I wish we went to a different place for our 16 wedding anniversary. Sorry to saySpecial Features:
- Fun Night WIth NeighborsKarandeDined on 7/17/2014Savory Square is our 'go to' local restaurant. Food and service are consistently fantastic. This week we dined in the Tavern and we had the added pleasure of young musician - who was great!Special Features:
- solidblueknightDined on 7/12/2014staff very attentive, food enjoyable, price reasonable considering qualitySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in the middle of HamptonHamptondocDined on 7/12/2014In a non-descript building that used to house a local newspaper's offices is a bit of Europe-- dark wood, intimate seating, sparkling wine glasses, attentive waitstaff in black and white. The owner teaches cuisine and his commitment to "the dining experience" is clear in every detail. The menu covers the spectrum of food tastes. We had the duck breast and curried tilapia. The duck was perfect-- medium rare, tender and flavorful. Even though we were assured the fish was fresh, it seemed a bit mealy and bland although the sauce was good. The strawberry shortcake was the best I have ever had!... warm biscuits, minced fresh strawberries, strawberry sauce and just enough whipped cream.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceFoodieDined on 7/11/2014We were very happy with our experience at this restaurant. The food was exceptionally good. The portion size was ample. The atmosphere was delightful -- an intimate bistro size place. We ordered the tenderloin and shrimp combination and the seafood portofino. I would definitely come here whenever I am in Hampton and would wholeheartedly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HeidiHeidiDined on 7/11/2014Hello, Our dinner experience @ Savory Square Bistro was fantastic! The staff, ambiance and of course the food was spectacular. Thank you so very much for making our "girls week-end away a memorable & tasty experience! We will be back and look forward to another great meal. Kind regards, HeidiSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousfriendlyfoodyDined on 7/5/2014We found this place through restaurants.com. The food was spectacular and we tried things I had never tried before. I don't eat meat, and found plenty of options that suited my palate. My boyfriend and were still talking about how great dinner was the next day. I highly recommend!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/5/2014The food was excellent. Service was great. Needs better quality control in terms of dishwashing- I had my spoon replaced twice because there was some gunk stuck onto the spoon and dried up on both replacements. Scallops were slightly saltier than expected, but texture was excellent. Overall the food's taste outweighed the spoon issue.Special Features:
- phatmanDined on 7/4/2014I look forward to the interesting menu items that are so carefully prepared. I got the duck which was cooked perfectly and the seasoning was excellent, just enough without overbearing the perfectly seared meat which was prepared exactly as ordered. My wife got the cedar plank salmon which she finished every last bite. The wine list is an interesting mix of well thought out selections that compliment the menu at reasonable prices. The owner personally greeted us and brought us to our table. It is a friendly comfortable atmosphere and all the staff are friendly, knowledgeable with just the right balance of attentiveness. I would recommend this to anyone who appreciates interesting, well prepared, quality food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Place was great for date night! Had excellent meal and wine list is great as well!Special Features:
- Good Night OutGoodNightOutDined on 6/28/2014We stumbled upon this restaurant and it was excellent. Both of us had the filet and they were cooked perfectly; medium for her and medium rare for me. Staff was well trained, courteous and friendly. You need to be aware that it is a small restaurant so reservations are a must. The building is set back off the street so it is easy to miss. The owners have erected some signs which does help. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ElizabethDined on 6/27/2014The food is fabulous. Innovative combination of flavors and textures, well prepared and nicely presented. Service is friendly and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food ExperiencejandsouttoeatVIPDined on 6/27/2014This is a special place. You can have outstanding food at the high or lower cost end. We had a delicious salad with scallops, and a great tasting flatbread for around $30. They have a mid-week special of $50 for two three-course meals which we look forward to trying. The restaurant is a part of a French cooking school.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Affordable FrenchsmartdinerDined on 6/21/2014The seafood and fish were tasty and nicely prepared. Good value. The desserts were excellent specially the poached pear and the chief's version of chocolate smores. I feel, the "Citrus Salmon" could be extra special if Blood Orange was used. Best location -- in the old train depot with lots of cute shops and not far from " the Beach."Special Features:
- Excellent!!GueraDined on 6/21/2014The food was SO delicious!! Great service!! Loved the atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint,pricy but yummyBubbyDined on 6/20/2014As we were staying in a near by hotel, thought it would be fun to check out a great restaurant within walking distance. Even though the dining room is small, the tables were always full and there didn't seem to be any people waiting, despite it being a Fri pm @7. The host Brian was terrific, very out going, friendly with a great smile. Our server seemed new as she was a little unsure of a couple of our questions. She did fine but didn't seem as smooth as some of the other servers .The food was great, to start we had escargot,my husband ordered the steak with lobster scampi and I had fillet mignon portabella. With the exception of it being just a bit more expensive even with our $25 restaurant .com certificate than we thought, it was nice.Special Features:
- Delectable Dining ExperienceNoraDined on 6/14/2014I cant remember when I have had such a wonderful time. I highly recommend the Cheese Board and also try their Fresh Pea Risotto. The service was outstanding. The staff were genuinely friendly. Very refreshing experience.Special Features:
- Another wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014We visited on Friday night (6/13) and had Craig J. from start to finish everything was exceptional. We can't stop talking about Savory Square Bistro and we've recommended it to several people. We want to thank you for making each of our experiences so personal and amazing. From the atmosphere, to the service, to the food it's all wonderful! I also want to make a note at how much we appreciate the chef (Paul) taking a moment to come out to the dining area to visit and ask everyone how their meals are. Thank you, thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Dining ExperiencechemguyDined on 6/10/2014In an area where there are many fine restaurants, Savory Square Bistro stands out as one of the best we have tried. Attentive and professional staff, a diverse menu and great wind list - with wine priced at an affordable level. We started with the cheese plate which is ample for several people, followed by French onion soup (best I have had in years) and a salad. Our entrees were the Surf& Turf Bluegrass Style and Scallops with Wild Mushroom Risotto - both well presented and superb. Sadly, we had no room for desert. Overall, a superb meal. This is instantly one of our favorite restaurants in this area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vik661Dined on 6/6/2014My wife and I loved this place, the dining room is relatively small with a casual, cozy elegance. The seafood chowder was fantastic, best I've had. The Seafood Portofino was delicious as were the sauteed scallops. The "Poached Pear" dessert was amazing. Our server was gracious and knowledgeable about the menu. It is not inexpensive, but we felt the price was well worth the quality of food and service. Would definitely recommend this place to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food Local GemDoughboyVIPDined on 5/28/2014We went here one night and enjoyed our meal and then had friends come to see us the next. We told them about this location so we went back. Our friends felt it was one of the best meals they have ever had. This was from the drinks, to salad to the entree. Would definitely recommend you try it. The menu is not too large, but all the entrees are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- by chancesatisfiedDined on 5/28/2014decided to gamble and try savory sq. bistro based on a gift certificate from a Russian business man that told me the food was great and I didn't know about the bistro and used to live nearby ... a little pricey for someone who doesn't really go out much but the food and service couldn't be better....I am fussy about eating out the only 2 things I could possibly change would be the ceiling...I know strange huh...and add a dessert menu online...I would be happy to spend here again and hope to soon....ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 128 reviews are from the Savory Square Bistro reviews archive.
- SeacoastWillye1Dined on 5/17/2014Great food and service. Small mall location but easily accessibile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really is a gem ...FineDinerVIPDined on 5/15/2014From outward appearances, you would second guess the restaurant. However, be sure to go in for dinner. And the Mushroom Risotto is one of the best I have had. I am a retired chef and was very impressed. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Ald5Dined on 5/11/2014Went for the Mother's Day Brunch. What a great way for the restaurant to do it - service was attentive and efficient as they did not have to serve the foods, food was of a great variety and delicious, had reservation for the 2PM sitting and did not have to wait at all. It was a smart way to do it on a holiday. I am sure it also cut down on staffing so that staff could spend Mother's day any way they wanted. Been there on a regular weekend evening and it is delicious!!Special Features:
- Very disappointed - has potentialDonteathereDined on 5/10/2014There is very interesting menu but this place misses on just about everything! Understaffed, which accounts for the slow service. Very small and not intimate at all. I bit into a random piece of plastic from the butter, I pray it was only a chip from a mixing bowl! Told waitress and got a mere "I look into it" My wife ordered salmon which was fair at best. I ordered their signature tenderloin with lobster- my meal terrible. The steak was served sliced and all the pieces were cooked differently like the save scraps from the person before. The asparagus were burnt, the potto or cold in the middle and the lobster pieces were the most stringy pieces if junk I've ever had! Sent the entire mess back and left.
- 40 Years and CountingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014In wanting a special dining experience to help celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, my wife and I chose the Savory Square Bistro. It was an outstanding experienced based on the food, service, and ambiance.Special Features:
- Fantastic experienceMMcEDined on 5/1/2014The food was awesome. Our wait staff was attentive but not overbearing. A great spot can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingTillyDined on 4/25/2014The host claimed not to have received our reservation, but had a party ready to leave! About 15 mins later we were seated. Another 15 mins later the waiter dropped by and said he would return soon. When he returned to take the drink ordered ordered dinner. I ordered a dish and specifically asked for no onions. Returned a little later to say it did have onions and to choose an alternate dish. Gave him a couple of options. Entrees finally arrived after a long wait with onions and stone cold. Returned it and a new dish arrived, this was hot, but covered in sliced scallions (onions)! Decided after this long wait to just scrape then off. Final insult was when the bill arrived for the two of us, it had 4 entrees on it. Will not return!