Savory Square Bistro
32 Depot Square
Hampton, NH 03842Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Savory Square Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.savorysquarebistro.com/
- Phone: (603) 926-2202
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary French
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Heidi 6039262202
A word from Savory Square Bistro
Bonjour! Located on NH's beautiful seacoast, The Bistro provides guests with a cozy and quaint dining experience. We have a small candlelit dining room and a separate room for the lounge which offers the full menu, has high tables, two TV's, a fireplace and a 14 seat bar. Relax and enjoy a fine multi-course meal in the dining room or pop into the bar for a beer and an appetizer...The Bistro's casual yet elegant atmosphere welcomes all who enjoy good food, good wine, and good times! Bon Appetit! Open Tuesday-Saturday. Dinner only. Reservations recommended.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Savory Square Bistro - Best Restaurants in Hampton ›
Savory Square Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
51 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (36)fit for foodies (28)special occasion (25)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (16)notable wine list (10)good for groups (5)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great for a date night!JlcbelleDined on 2/14/2014Fabulous food and atmosphere! Will definitely be back! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V-day: butternut squash ravioliOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2014V-day: butternut squash ravioli is amazing. We had to sit in the bar area which was overcrowded but did have live music which was very nice. So good we went there twice this week. Charcuterie board and risotto are also fantastic.Special Features:
- Food is beyond spectacularpuddytatDined on 2/14/2014We have been here multiple times. My husband is all about food and the presentation. I cannot say enough about the food here. It is all good. We have never had a bad meal. Our Valentine's day dinner was exceptional. Four course meal with asparagus soup with lobster, salad with fried oysters with mandarin orange and homemade dressing, sea bass with lobster ravioli and broccolini, and lavender ice cream with raspberry compote and heart shaped strawberries. The seating is intimate, but you must call for reservations since there are not many tables. You can also take a cooking class here which we have done as couple that is a lot of fun. Go and enjoy. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went the night of a stormhungryDined on 2/13/2014We went the night of a storm so only the bar room was open. It was a great experience. The meal was superb and was served by the chef! It was very cozy, friendly and a relaxed atmosphere. We enjoyed the first time bartender who was the chef's wife. She made us feel very welcome and did a great job with the drinks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambitious Food - Not for Everyone.STDinerDined on 2/12/2014They try too hard to make the food unique and special and remind you of that so expectations get raised to the point of it becomes nearly impossible to live up to the hype about it. Despite raves from the waitress about the bread, the bread seemed ordinary and the butter was so loaded with garlic I actually spit it out. And so went the rest of the meal: too special and precious for me. Couldn't get a plain lettuce tomato and cuke salad - tomatoes were marinated and tasted "funny" and the balsamic dressing also was weird - made with vanilla, etc. Main course (lamb) too small and focused on presentation & sauce instead of substance. Desserts OTOH were excellent and large, however. Guess I'm just not a fan of French-type food.Special Features:
- First TimersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014Highly recommended by friends, and we were not disappointed. All three courses were top flight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingJimRDined on 2/11/2014The Bistro is a gem that is a bit hidden. It is worth finding if you enjoy food and dining out. I would recommend without hesitation.Special Features:
- great food and great nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014excellent food and beautiful menu in an elegant yet laid back atmosphere. I would definitely go againSpecial Features:
- Always a Delight!MaysieDined on 2/8/2014I enjoy Savory Square Bistro with friends and for quiet nights with my husband! My husband really likes the homemade dessertsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat.CrispyDined on 2/8/2014It is on the ritzier side but not unreasonable. I would not recommend bringing children. Very Romantic quiet atmosphere. The food is delicious. Waitress wAs a little slow but it was busy. I would go again. They have specials during the Week that are really reasonable. Try it you'll love it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY ENJOYABLE EXPERIANCE. FOODSTEVEDined on 2/4/2014VERY ENJOYABLE EXPERIANCE. FOOD WAS GREAT. STAFF WAS ACCOMADATING. SERVICE WAS EXCELLENT.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED ITmartinimomDined on 2/1/2014Food was great, service spectacular, service workers were incredibly warm. I read a lot of reviews about serving sizes being small and that was most definitely not the case. I was counting on getting dessert but between the yummy drinks and food I just didn't have room. Everything was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comical but Good experienceJohnDined on 1/25/2014Went for wife's birthday. Started w/drinks in the bar. Unfortunately the bartender spilled a martini on my wife. He was embarrassed & apologetic. Drinks were on him along with a promise to pick up the dry cleaningl. Not necessary but appreciated. On to dinner, she was sold on a "memorable dining experience" if she got the Steak & lobster or steak scallops. After a good 20 min go around with the waitress & host finally we were told no steaks left & they would not or could not make the dish with just scallops. She was a bit frustrated but a complementary cocktail eased that. Then her seafood fettuccini was amazing as was my duck. The appetizers and dessert were just ok but the main course was excellent. Strange night but overall we'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful rest. Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/25/2014Wonderful rest. Great food and service .will return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemGonenglandDined on 1/23/2014I never expected to find a little gem like this right In downtown Hampton. Awesome food, Great service, great atmosphere. Will Definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barr nightAlleyCatDined on 1/18/2014I went there to see the Rico Barr trio and stayed for dinner. We could still hear the music from the dining room and maintain a conversatin. My group of four decided to share 4 appetizers and leave room for desert. All were very good although we had to ask for more bread to go with the lobster dip and my coffee was cold. I would go there again. $$$Special Features:
- A great neighbourhood bistroElizabethDined on 1/18/2014Innovative, well prepared and nicely presented food, friendly and accommodating serving staff. They make you feel welcome and they care that you have a good dining experience. And they now serve espresso too. Reasonably priced for the excellent quality. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service and foodpumpkinDined on 1/15/2014Our service was fabulous,kept filling water glasses,wine. Sauces and soups were great-especially the sole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerNhhikerDined on 1/15/2014My son and DiL and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at Chez Bouche AKA savory Square Bistro. We had a variety of appetizers and entrees and all were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close by cozy restaurantWheelwrightDined on 1/11/2014Savory Square Bistro is a wonderful place for friends and family to gather. Small but conveniently located in downtown Hampton. We enjoyed the plank Salmon and the steak&lobster dishes. The adjoining bar had live jazz and old standards which lent to pleasant background music. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will be backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014Only reason I gave it only three stars for service was that we waited a LONG time for our food and drinks. However they recognized this themselves and more than made up for it. I have been really impressed with the staff at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!WILDTHINGDined on 1/7/2014THE FOOD WAS AMAZING...THE ATMOSPHERE WAS RELAXED...THE SERVER..BETH...JUST ABSOLUTELY MADE THE NIGHT!!...SO TO CAP IT OFF..THE FOOD WAS GREAT AND IT WAS A FUN NIGHT OUT TOO...NOT JUST A MEAL OUT!..IT WAS OUT FIRST TIME HERE AND WE WENT FOR MY HUSBANDS BIRTHDAY...THEY PREPARED A UNIQUE DESERT FOR US!..BASICALLY A TAPAS OF DESERT!...AWESOME..A HIDDEN JEWEL!...THINKING ABOUT GOING BACK NEXT WEEK!!!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedNicPotDined on 12/31/2013Scrambled to find someplace in Hampton for NYE. Googled for a restaurant and found this gem of a place. Like the fact they had a special menu for NYE, but You could also order off the regular menu. I had steak And my BF had pork tenderloin- both were excellent. My BF loved his spinach salad. Bread Was excellent as were the drinks. Entree prices were Very reasonable, but I found the drink prices a bit pricey. For dessert, we had choc cake which was delish. All and All, great dining experience- no complaints. Nice bar Which we went to after dinner to ring in 2014. We will Definitely be back and we are contemplating signing Up for cooking classes. :).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A FavoritevittlesDined on 12/31/2013WE dine out frequently and this is our favorite restaurant on the Seacoast, competing with abundant restaurants in Portsmouth. Especially great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This local restaurant justOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/28/2013This local restaurant just continues to deliver--superb food, great european-type atmosphere, and attentive service! I highly recommend if you live in the Hampton area or are visiting, give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable bistroLegaleagle2Dined on 12/28/2013Tucked into a small square just off Route 1 in Hampton, this French bistro serves only dinner and has two sections - a bar to the left which has live music Saturdays and a restaurant to the right. The restaurant, which is also part of a cooking school, serves a variety of French dishes with interesting side dishes such as kale chips. Because the bar is in a separate room, the restaurant was quiet the night we visited and only seats about 50 diners. All the dishes were excellent - chestnut soup, beet-arugula salad, gnocchi, sea bass, pork tenderloin. The bistro is a cut above most restaurants in the area, is small and intimate and would be a great place for a couples dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wondeful experienceMartyDined on 12/24/2013Great service, great food, good value. Will highly recommend and will be back soon and often,Special Features:
- First Time.....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2013I found my evening very enjoyable. The food was very good. The menu had lots to chooser from to please most anyone. The prices were on the high side but the portions were large. Its small and quaint much like a bistro. The service was a bit slow but it was fine as I didn't want to be rush either. It was a pleasant overall experience. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great Find!KevinDined on 12/24/2013We were looking for a Xmas Eve "gem" for dinner and this place is it! We were taken care of from the moment we entered and seated immediately. Service was prompt and available, but never pushy. Our waitress was very helpful and made great recommendations, and we were not rushed through the meal. Lighting was great, very cozy, and a nice mural picked up the warm tones. The menu was a surprise, such a great variety of offerings but all interesting; I ordered the Seafood Portofino and was very pleased; too much to finish however. The seafood chowder was rich and full of yummy shrimp, scallops; the four of us also shared the charcuterie which was very well done. Dessert's were a big temptation as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience as always!maxiDined on 12/18/2013Great experience as always! Will be back again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great!ShirdogDined on 12/14/2013Living in Hampton I feel very fortunate to have the Savory Square Bistro in town. The food is consistently outstanding, the service is great and visiting the restaurant is like seeing family. I have known Ron Boucher for several decades now, and members of my family have worked with him and for him at various restaurants around the area. My family has dined at several of his restaurants and have never been disappointed with a meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well prepared dinner!localsDined on 12/13/2013Our steaks were cooked to perfection. The seafood was fresh, tasty and well prepared. everything was plated beautifully and made for a very nice evening. Hampton is an easy place to go on a Friday night - and open table reservations are easy to use to make sure you are all set without a crazy wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodfoodhottiesDined on 12/7/2013All selections were great-seafood porto fino a must. All selections were great. Seafood porto fino a must, The lamb dish was delicious and serving the duck sliced is my favorite way to eat it and a rarity found in any restaurant. Kudos to Savory Square Bistro!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindMikeDined on 12/7/2013I had driven by this little gem so many times and finally decided to try it. My wife and I are now fans. Our meal was wonderful! I had the short ribs. Melted in your mouth. My wife had the chicken breast over fresh pasta with a boursin cream. Simply delightful. Great portion sizes. The drinks from the bar were substantial. We had a very engaging waitress. She was very attentive. Brian who sat us was a gentleman. This is a cozy hidden gem and we highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great mealssndycomDined on 11/23/2013Although Savory Square Bistro is a small intimate place there is great variety of food choices. The staff is pleasant, courteous and prompt. We will be visiting again.Special Features:
- Great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/2/2013Delicious food - BLT salad is superb - salmon great. My husband loved the pumpkin ravioli Host and waitress very professional and friendly. Definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic place.frye159Dined on 10/26/2013Absolutely fantastic place. We have been their 2 weeks in a row and will go again next week for different meals! They go out of their way to please you. Great food, great service, Management personally checks in on the table 1-2 times to ensure you are pleased. A hidden gem!Special Features:
- Always enjoyable - food & serviceGrishaDined on 10/26/2013Another enjoyable dining experience at Savory Square Bistro on Saturday evening. The food: top notch quality; well designed presentations; and, good course pacing. The staff was very attentive ... including stops at the by the chef. The seasonal cocktails and desert were tasty and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousLadyFromRyeDined on 10/26/2013From the wilted spinach salad, to the herbed bread with herb butter, to the lobster and wild mushrooms croustade the meal was delicious! Servers were very attentive. No room for dessert but I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceRestaurantLoverDined on 10/25/2013Everything about our experience at Savory Square Bistro was perfect. As a last minute decision to try this restaurant, our great night began with an easy reservation through Open Table. We were greeted and seated when we arrived, and pampered throughout the night. Our waitress was fun and knew the menu, the owner visited our table just enough, and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal from appetizers to dessert. The bar drinks were great, and the only downside to the evening was having to choose which of the delicious sounding entrees to pick. No problem - we will frequent this restaurant often enough to go through the whole list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.