29169 Heathercliff Rd.
Malibu, CA 90265Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.savorymalibu.com/
- Phone: 3105898997
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Saturday: 11:30pm-2:30pm, Dinner: Sunday-Thursday 5:30pm to 9:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday Brunch: 11:30pm-2:30pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Californian
- Executive Chef: Paul Shoemaker
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Jazz
A word from Savory Restaurant
Savory is locally owned, locally managed and community minded. The menu is prepared with love. It is chef driven, seasonal and many items change daily. As often as possible, Savory uses ingredients from local farmers, local fisherman and local ranchers who practice sustainable agriculture. Savory's homemade breads are baked daily using freshly milled flours form Giustos in San Francisco. The sweets are made from scratch using the highest quality ingredients from Vahrona Chocolate to Organic Clover Milk. The pizzas begin with a 300 year old "biga" (starter) from Camaldoli Hill just outside of Naples, Italy. The dough is hand stretched and fired in a brick oven. Savory features Chef Shoemaker’s playful cooking style – like an artist with his canvas and paints. The cuisine captures the natural flavor of each ingredient to create a dining experience that touches on many senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Savory Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Delicious! And thrilled toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/27/2012Delicious! And thrilled to have a great restaurant in Malibu!!!!!!!Special Features:
- I was expecting a lot moreSammyDined on 10/20/2012I was expecting a lot more from a chef that is supposed to be one of the new upraising chefs in So. Cal. There was nothing special about the overall menu, from the starters (very plain items) to sides, even the Entrees. We tried the Trout and the Jidori Chicken. The Trout was supposed to have cauliflower foam, instead we had very salty sauteed cauliflowers on top of the trout. The chicken was not tender and had a very plain taste, nothing special. The deserts were simple and plain too; nothing special from a chef. The wine list was very limited with very poor selections, again nothing special here. Overall I thought we were having dinner at a roadside diner than a restaurant runs by a chef. I would not go back there..!!!
- Is good service so difficult?ZumaDaveVIPDined on 10/20/2012I dine out frequently and want to like Savory because Malibu needs a restaurant like this. However, the service is consistently bad. The food is either very good or very bad. After approx. 20+ visits, we have decided never to go back...not worth the consistent bad service and the inconsistent food.
- casual with a limited menubtbtekDined on 9/30/2012casual with a limited menu but everything is of the highest quality and the surroundings are lovely. It's kind of an upscale neighborhood diner in heaven.Special Features:
- The food was good but boring.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/23/2012The food was good but boring. In a couple of weeks I probably wont remember what I had. The wines were mediocre (we tried one sparkling, one white, and one red from the by-the-glass list). Service was OK except they were very reluctant to make one half of the bacon and caramelized onion pizza vegetarian. They first said we could leave the bacon on or take it off but they could not do half of the pizza without bacon. They agreed finally after much convincing. The outdoor patio is somewhat loud (but not terribly loud) with road noise from the pch.
- We were simply impressed withOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/9/2012We were simply impressed with the sincerity and quality of the operation at all levels. Our party ordered several items and were pleased by how well they were executed while remaining entirely clear of any unnecessary complexity. The overall experience was warm and inviting and the establishment's offerings embody confidence without any pretentiousness. Although Savory is nearly an hour drive away from home, we definitely look forward to frequenting.Special Features:
- Every time we go their, IOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/7/2012Every time we go their, I try something new and find it delicious!Special Features:
- One of the best meals we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2012One of the best meals we've ever had ever. And we travel & dine out extensively.Special Features:
- Those of us who dine at SavoryOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/25/2012Those of us who dine at Savory on a reular basis, are familiar with the "stub" 2-seater table in between the bar and the front door. It's an awful location, and when I expressed my disdain for the location, the hostess stated they were aware that "nobody likes that table." If that's the case, get rid of it. It's a real let down to get stuck there (water service is behind you so the waiters are constantly whisking by)and being placed there can spoil an otherwise excellent experience.Special Features:
- food and service has deterioratedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2012food and service has deteriorated over the last year
- Too few choicesbayheadVIPDined on 8/21/2012Nice meal but wish the menu was expanded. Too few choices to go back often, plus it is expensive
- Salads are good for sharing.ValetjerkVIPDined on 8/17/2012Salads are good for sharing. Pizzas were great. One glass of wine was not good, but they adjusted without a problem. Food is dependable, fresh, hot when served.Special Features:
- Such a fabulous find! I wasOneFabMomVIPDined on 8/16/2012Such a fabulous find! I was there for lunch and had a "wolf mother" burger with arugula and Carmelites onion. To die for!!! This place is gorgeous and great food!Special Features:
- Some of the worst serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/4/2012Some of the worst service I've experienced in quite some time. The menu is limited and expensive. The bean salad is great...the rest of the experience is below average.
- I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK.VEEEEVIPDined on 8/4/2012I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK. Food was good, I wouldn't say it was great. I usually don't like to leave bad reviews unless something really stood out while I am dinning at a restaurant. I was shocked that out waiter Allen screamed at another waiter right in front of us and was rude to the bus boys, I also felt he was more concerned with selling us the highest price dish and wine rather then recommending what is actually things he liked on the Menu. Both me and my Fiance felt uncomfortable after the incident and it made our experience there horrible.Special Features:
- Fabulous restaurant worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/24/2012This was our second visit to Savory restaurant. Once again the food and service were outstanding. Having eaten at most of the "top" restaurants in the L.A. area we feel that Savory rates right at the top with regards to delicious, imaginative food. For most people in the L.A. area getting to Savory is a bit of a drive into north Malibu but it is definitely worth the drive. We anticipate our next visit.Special Features:
- Fabulous Gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/21/2012Don't be put off by the location of this fabulous restaurant, which is in a small upscale shopping center on the Malibu coast. Once you enter the place it is a true pleasure to be there. Really fantastic.Special Features:
- Keep it simpleSnobbyDined on 7/21/2012The food is good, especially the pizzas. I would recommend you stay simple. The steak was very over priced & disappointing . The waiter felt snobbish , he was too "cool". Next time, simple, wine & pizza.
- I was the first to arriveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/21/2012I was the first to arrive in our party of 3 and was shown to a table by a waiter's station. When I asked to be moved, I was told there were no other tables even though there appeared to be several open. When my other guests arrived, the hostess did ask us if we wanted to move to another table that had opened up so we did. The waiter was honestly one of the worst I have had in Los Angeles in the last few years, He was disinterested, bordering on unfriendly and got our order wrong twice - I was served the wrong appetizer, and it took several minutes longer than it should have to bring me the right one. Then I was brought the wrong side. The food was fine, nothing life-changing; fresh and creative flavors.
- Food was good, fresh, andOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2012Food was good, fresh, and local. Steak was WAY overpriced (even by Malibu standards) but good. It's in a strip mall.Special Features:
- The food was presented wellkwackVIPDined on 7/7/2012The food was presented well and as fresh as could be. It tasted good too but the menu was a little limiting. Some of the starters are so big they can be shared nicely.Special Features:
- The bread and zumasalad wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/4/2012The bread and zumasalad was very good, however the main course was a dissapointmentSpecial Features:
- GREAT Summer SaladOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2012I'd been to Savory twice before for dinner. This was the first visit for lunch. The three of us all had the summer salad made with locally sourced fruit and vegetables. Everything tasted as though it had just been taken from the garden. Perhaps it had.... Simply great food.
- Apparently Monday nights areLyndaVIPDined on 7/2/2012Apparently Monday nights are "pub nights" which we didn't know when we made reservations. It was our first time dining there and we were hesitant as we'd expected a bigger menu and less casual venue for our dinner out with friends. However, once the food arrived..wow! Their "wolf burger" is amazing (covered with brie, blue cheeses, grilled onions and arugula), their arugula pizza is very good and their soup (curry corn) was excellent. I had peach cobbler for dessert - good but not as special as all the main meal dishes. Savory is definitely a 'find' for their great food! Kudos to the chef.Special Features:
- We've eaten at Savory aboutRicardoVIPDined on 7/1/2012We've eaten at Savory about 10 times since it opened. We regard it as one of the few really good restaurants in Malibu. However, this past Sunday the food was not up to standard. The Wolfburger was sort of mushy, and on the beer batter cod, the crust was too thick, and overwhelmed the taste of the cod. We expected better, and will definitely give it a try again next week
- A pity it has closed. A wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/25/2012A pity it has closed. A wonderful spot in Malibu.Special Features:
- Food is great - I just wishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/23/2012Food is great - I just wish the menu changed a bit moreSpecial Features:
- The service was very attentiveBHCLAVIPDined on 6/19/2012The service was very attentive worthy of mentioning it to the manager. Alas, the food was disappointing except for the salads. The chicken was dry, the hamburger was dry. Everything including the side dishes lacked seasoning.Special Features:
- A HUGE disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2012The restaurant ran like it had just opened-- snafus and misunderstandings and neglect abounded. While we had a center booth, once we declined bottled water, we seemed to become invisible. We had to ask twice before we got ice for our tepid tap water. Some of the food was excellent, some fine, some not good. The food was VERY expensive. Most of all, while the food was fine, the service was so bad that it made us feel invisible, unvalued and unimportant. Why would I spend $100 for dinner for 2 here when I left feeling so bad?
- They just hired someone newJHPPVIPDined on 6/8/2012They just hired someone new to manage the front of the restaurant, and the service on a Friday night was very good - attentive, friendly. If anything, the main course came out a little too quickly, perhaps overcompensating for the prior problems with poor, slow service per some of the recent reviews. I think they will get it right. Food was excellent. Loved the arugula pizza, and the broccoli with burrata appetizer.Special Features:
- Love the farm fresh food hereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/6/2012Love the farm fresh food here and the chef makes everything taste so good! I'm a local and really appreciate having this restaurant in our town.Special Features:
- Out of the way Malibu charmer.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/1/2012A charming bistro,nearly hidden behind an Arco station off Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. Food is terrific, particularly an endive salad with seasonal cherries. Appetizer Pizza was delicious, and a baked cod dish excellent. We were seated in a glass enclosed porch replete with gas fired heaters on this chilly evening. Waiters and management are attentive and friendly. Only unfortunate situation was some cigarette smoke enanating from a table positioned at the far end of the porch -supposedly away from the main group of diners. Waitress/hostess explained, in answer to our question about this problem, was that 'the smoke must have filtered-in from outside the building' We think not so! Overall, we would return-for the food.Special Features:
- very badStephenVIPDined on 5/27/2012The 27 th of May I shall never forget.It all started 2 yrs ago. The first time I enjoyed there food. I followed there chef from 2 other restaurants. the first meal was great. The 2nt I took 6 people with me. It was not great just ok. I thought I would try one more time. I was there with 2 other people. they were busy, we ordered drinks, got the drinks and waited 20 mins to order this was at 7:pm, after 15 mins we were told they were out of the salmon, but they had some sea bass on hand. my wife ordered that, not happy, my cod came and it was very strong,I sent it back,ordered the sea bass, after waiting to eat 2hrs, 15 mins. I ask for the check. The sea bass was very dry and over cooked. I PASS
- I've been to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/27/2012I've been to this restaurant twice now. The first time was better. The second time it was very crowded and the service and food seemed to reflect that. I would recommend it and will probably go back hoping that the second visit was just an off night.Special Features:
- So mixed!! The food was amazingMarlaPRDined on 5/24/2012So mixed!! The food was amazing and it's a beautiful resturant but the service is so bad. Took forever to get our drinks, then had two orders wrong. Forever between courses but delicious when it arrived. Good thing we were with entertainimg friends to help pass the time.Special Features:
- We have been dinning hereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/19/2012We have been dinning here since it opened. The food ranges from very good to occasionally inedible (beet salad that resembled a bowl of Pepto Bismol!). Still we return every few months hoping it gets its act together. Our most recent meal was "not bad," however, the service was HORRIBLE & the attitude when we politely complained was worse. At 6;15 the restaurant was approx 1/2 full. It took 15 mins to place our wine order. Had to hail our waiter (10 mins later) to order food. Waited 20 mins for our 1st course. Never served our bread basket. Empty salad plates not removed. All this (and more) went on right in front of the manager who hovered near our table greeting arriving patrons.He finally noticed our displeasure, but never apologized.
- Fresh Local Flavors!jackmo74VIPDined on 5/13/2012Must try the Peas! Everything was great. The quality of the ingredients was outstanding and its great to come across places that appreciate the value of locally grown produce.Special Features:
- Went for mother's day. HamburgersOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012Went for mother's day. Hamburgers are a very good size and the fries are good. My son is Gluten free and the only item he could order was an omelet. It was ordinary and served without any side dish. No tomatoes or cottage cheese. We had to stop at Gluten free bakery on the way home so he could get a bagel. Service was poor as the waiter came back only once. I ordered a salad to start but it never came. My wife told the waiter, but I declined the salad as my main dish had come. Don't think we will return.
- pretty bad food. was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/10/2012pretty bad food. was extremely disapointed, especially in the malibu area, to have an experience like this, the food was not appealing and neither the way it tasted they ran out out of many things. just was a bad experience.
- Chose Savory restaurant toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/9/2012Chose Savory restaurant to celebrate a 50th birthday w/ 5 fabulous women based on a reliable recommendation from a Malibu local and reviews that I read. It felt like we went to a completely different restaurant. Service was underwhelming, evening's menu was not exciting, and drinks were just ok. Felt like a very "off" nite at the restaurant based on the reviews we read.Special Features: