100 Old Gulph Road
Gulph Mills, PA 19428Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.savonarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6105201200
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Sunday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Andrew Masciangelo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Enjoy Savona at home. Our Director of Private Dining is prepared to tailor an event considering every detail. Contact Andrea Gaudini at 610 520 1200.
- Private Party Facilities: Plan a casual private dining event at Savona! Our private dining menus include options from the casual BARSAVONA menu as well as from our formal dining room. Wireless internet connection and all audio/visual equipment are available for multimedia presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Andrea Gaudini 6105201200x
A word from Savona Restaurant
Consistent, creative, high quality dining & seamlessly orchestrated service has been the hallmark of Savona's success for over 12 years. Executive Chef, Andrew Masciangelo, uses his 15 year relationship with local farmers to source the freshest ingredients available. His "farm to table" philosophy involves handling products as few times as possible to capture the natural flavor intensity of each ingredient. Signature dishes include Dover Sole with Capri Lemon & Pignoli, and Salt Crusted Branzino and Shrimp & Scallop "Borsette". Masciangelo's cuisine is supported by world class service maestro'd by Maximilien Grange. Savona has the largest wine cellar in the state of Pennsylvania offering guests over 1,200 selections to choose from. Our Sommelier uses his studied palette, vast wine knowledge & soft approach to heighten each guest's dining experience. We look forward to welcoming you to Savona.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Savona Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Main Line ›
Savona Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (28)romantic (24)notable wine list (23)fit for foodies (22)neighborhood gem (14)great for outdoor dining (14)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (8)good for groups (7)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- understaffed and stressfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014The tomato carpachio appetizer was delicious, truly seasonal,and enjoyed by all 5 members of our party. Savona's was understaffed on Saturday night. The wait staff was nearly running, no flying around the restaurant, but our table was served late at every turn, and we had to flag down service folks twice, and we were told twice in a stressed voice 'we are very busy tonight, mam.' (We noticed more than two empty tables, Savona's appears of not turning tables in an evening.) Our main courses were nearly cold once they arrived and were only 'okay' for the prices and the hype. Our after dinner dessert, coffee and port took over a half hour to arrive. To their credit the management caught that error and did not charge us for 4 glasses of port.Special Features:
- Skipped a beat..NJfoodieDined on 9/24/2014Savona has a great reputation for quality and consistency - except for this visit. While the restaurant is so very good in so many ways, I was disappointed in the level of service and the ordinary nature of our dishes. I can totally compliment the pan seared duck; excellent. The same cannot be said for the striped bass; ordinary flavor, broth tasted oily and there were too many clams that did not open. Desserts - very good Service this time around was at best, spotty.Special Features:
- Not what it used to benanciVIPDined on 9/6/2014I have been eating at Savona for many years. We always go for our anniversary. I don't think that we will be going back. The bread was tough, menu was just fair and food was tasteless
- Awful night..Extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/6/2014Typically a favorite of ours, we had a family dinner planned for 5. We were there for 2 hours, spent a lot of money and we might not go back. Drink and water glasses were empty most of the time. The Trout was plain as cardboard. We sat with empty plates for about 15 minutes. I went and politely spoke to the hostess and manager, I was assured things would be taken care of. We got coffee and ordered desert. We drank our coffee while we waited, and waited and waited. We sat with empty coffee cups for about 10 more minutes and still no desert. We then canceled desert and paid and left. They offered to comp the coffee and desert(that we never got, thanks).
- your choice about fine diningeduardoDined on 9/6/2014Specify in reserving whether you wish “fine dining” or regular. Same floor, close but partly separated rooms. I preferred regular with lower prices and more selections. Watch what you order -- a glass of cabernet was $16.
- Glad its in the burbs.TkapVIPDined on 8/29/2014I like this place if you want casual and get a table outside or upstairs. They are a little lost on their identity; are they upscale or casual? The food is good and they make a large drink, though you pay for it. $16.50 for a Goose up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extremely disappointedathenatrigalDined on 8/27/2014My husband and I dined at Savona the other night. The restaurant is very pretty and the food is fine but the service... Let me tell you about the service. It was so inconsistent and did not equal the type of service there should be for the prices of the food. There are several wait staff who attend you, but only one announced himself as our actual waiter. We saw him only twice-once to take the order and once to bring the plates. I ordered duck medium rare and had to send it back because it was raw. After returning the plate, not one of the many wait staff returned to see if my duck indeed was cooked correctly. When we asked one wait staff what he recommended, he told us the most expensive items on the menu-including $55 for Dover Sole. Wow!Special Features:
- Never DisapointedBorn2EatDined on 8/21/2014We went for their Lobster Rolls, which was a special. The helping of lobster was generous, and the accompaniments went perfectly with the dish. This dish was simple food, cooked at its freshest to perfection.Special Features:
- Beautiful placePolskamodelVIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a great first experience at Savona. Really a beautiful place with great service. Our only disappointment was that they did not offer any pasta entrees, yet they are an Italian restaurant. But the risotto (meza course) was great. The NY strip steak was like butter!Special Features:
- Highly recommend fine diningRebeldinerDined on 7/18/2014We love the fine dining room. The tastings and drink specials really round out a tasty and beautifully presented meal. Don't forget dessert! Great pastry chef. Don't recommend the casual dining room for couples on account of quality of food for price and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Really Worth ItblendedlibDined on 7/12/2014This might be the right restaurant for you if like something a little more upscale (ok, i found the ambience a bit on the snooty side), but i thought the prices were not justified by the food which is just all right. I know of a half-dozen other places where the meal would be much better at the same or lower cost. I found the "formal" menu (extremely limited and expensive) and "casual" menu set up of Savona to be downright confusing. We were seated in the "formal" section, but when we asked for the menu we saw online we were told that was the "casual" menu - which meant we got moved to a table in another room. Odd. We wanted to give it a try after driving by a few times. Now we know.Special Features:
- Excellent food and servicePerryDined on 7/12/2014Excellent food and service .............................Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SueACVIPDined on 6/27/2014I know other reviewers had complained of inattentive service but we had the opposite problem: the staff paid so much attention that we were done with the meal in less than an hour. Our reservation was for 8 pm and perhaps the staff wanted to get out of the restaurant fairly early (although other people were still eating), but from the time we sat down there was no wait for anything, to the point where it became somewhat annoying. We had barely started to enjoy our bread and the wine had just been poured when the appetizers arrived. As soon as we were finished the plates were whisked away and the intermezzo brought. Those finished and the dinner arrived. I don't like to wait a long time between courses but this was a little ridiculous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!maganetVIPDined on 6/27/2014W had a lovely dinner out for our Wedding anniversary. The food was absolutely delicious, staff friendly and knowledgeable and the wine list was long and great!Special Features:
- PerfectionNancyVIPDined on 6/24/2014This was my third visit to Savona. A total first class experience from the food to detailed service. The branzino is the best ever. This is a must go to restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savona never disappoints!Pattycookie7Dined on 6/23/2014Once again, we had an amazing experience at Savona! We are long-time patrons so we know to expect great cuisine and service that is attentive. But, we have especially enjoyed the new offering, Family Night, which happens every Monday. Served family style for $40 per person, the chef whips up an innovative three-course meal that uses seasonal produce and the freshest of fish and meats. It's always a surprise and exceeds expectations. For example, this week featured rainbow trout and vegetables in a Prosecco misto batter - light, crispy and flavorful! Also an arugula salad that had the meatiest mushrooms I've ever eaten. And of course, dessert! Tender Financiers with house made gelato and fresh summer fruit. Perfect start to our week!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to be backTooLongAwayDined on 6/20/2014Dinner at Savona Friday night reminded me that it has been too long since my wife and I dined there. As usual, the service was impeccable without being intrusive, the food dishes were creative and delicious, and the atmosphere was conducive to conversation. We'll be back - sooner.Special Features:
- Never disappoints. Always amazingCHI012VIPDined on 6/18/2014Just amazing. Bar is great (they even play the World Cup), manager is awesome, food amazing, valet parking... Best on earth. Great place to rerun to again and again. Oh yea, and the soup is a must have. They also have a wine list that rivals most of the center city restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Below StandardluvchocolateVIPDined on 6/17/2014Restaurant too hyped, below standard for the crowd it draws. Staff needs to be trained appropriately to the level of its prices. When a server comes to our table and asks,"Do you wanna have bread?" instead of "Would you like a piece of bread?", it's a good indication of service received. If a drink is requested that is not on the menu, but simple to prepare, the waiter should not say no immediately. For the prices this restaurant is charging, the waiter should attempt to please the customer and ask the bartender. Upon requesting he do so, he came back and said with the consistent "thumbs up" manner he must have done a dozen times through our dinner, that it could be made. Food fresh,good-not great/limited menu,portions moderate.
- Monday night family dinnerfoodieVIPDined on 6/16/2014a new addition to the Savona menu is the offering of Monday night Family Dinne; priced right at $40 pp, a most creative and delicious optionSpecial Features:
- father's day specialkenron113VIPDined on 6/15/2014we went to Sovona on Father's day with 6 people (3 generations of Dads). We were given a very nice alcove to dine. The service was perfect and accommodated the my wife's dairy issues. The presentation with elegant and the food preparation was exactly as requested. I had the bronzino which was exquisite. But the deserts were beyond special. Mind you this place is very expensive.Special Features:
- The following 281 reviews are from the Savona Restaurant reviews archive.
- Disappointing food and servicehonstanVIPDined on 5/14/2014Service was slow, dinner took 2 and 1/2 hours We had to ask that the bread be warmed - it was cold and chewy We will not be returning there again.Special Features:
- Brunch / LunchMainLineFoodieDined on 5/11/2014The food at Savona is truly delicious...but it better be for the price. Our meal was very good. The brunch menu is really a "lunch" menu so don't expect eggs benedict. Everytime I have eaten here the food has been top notch! However, the inside decor needs some updating...it is dark and lacks "ambiance". Add a candle or some flowers to those inside tables! I'd recommend eating in the outside area or be sure to get a window seat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to see a favorite changeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/2/2014Frankly an awful meal at what had been a favorite in the past. We ate in the "fine dining" area of the restaurant with 2 other tables occupied and the service was inattentive and careless. Captain was surly and could have cared less about our table (or the others from what I could see). One young waiter did try. The food which had always been a high point now was average at best and not worth the costs. I expressed my concerns at the end of the meal (although no one asked me how it was) and while another captain was apologetic, nothing was done to recognize the shortfalls. Curiously however, my reservation was listed as cancelled by the restaurant but I was able to write this review after contacting opentable.
- Dinner ClubJennaNicDined on 5/1/2014I belong to an adult dinner club, where we try places we have never eaten, a bit fancier and it's usually a special treat, this restaurant was the inspiration. We finally could all make, nearly a year after beginning the club & it was by far the best restaurant. The service was extremely friendly & helpful, the food and all the courses in between were delicious, drizzled with flavor not drenched, the prices are a bit steep but for our once a month venture, it's expected. Bon Apetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect place for aromantic dinnerWingsandbeerguyDined on 4/25/2014Savona is a main line gem. They have two sections depending on the mood you are in. Fine dining and casual. We opted for fine dining and it did not disappoint. We loved everything about our meal. The food was amazing and the service was fantastic. I am not a review writer but owed it to the staff and chef of Savona. This is now our favorite Resturant in the main line.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/17/2014Once again we had a very bad experience at this very pricey restaurant. Service was haughty and inadequate in every respect and food was late and badly done. We do not plan to return. There are much better options available where these repeated problems simply are not present. Whoever is managing this enterprise needs to take a close look at what is being delivered to its customers. People will not continue to patronize an establishment that does not deliver.Special Features:
- the experienceSloofyVIPDined on 4/10/2014The bartenders were knowledgible and helpful. Hate up a small tasting to a assist my choice of wine. Bar scene was up scale and friendly with nice mix friendly and cordial people. My salad was average and a but disappointing. I noticed no one at my table of six enjoyed theirs enough to finish theirs. New and more varied salad choices might be appreciated. my Dover sole filets were prepared perfectly! The accompanying sauce delicious. I observed a nice variety of desert choices, but abstained.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get the duck!ZinktahDined on 4/9/2014Best duck I have ever had. Waiter recommended and he was right on. Loved it and couldn't recommend it more.Special Features:
- jury is still out....OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/5/2014Always driven by Savona and heard good things. Had an 8:45pm reservation, finally seated by 9:20pm. Had to wait 10 minutes just for the valet to take the car. Place was very busy, very loud, and the crowd was a cross between my grandparents country club and the Republican National Convention. There were tens of wait staff just humming around everywhere. I don't even know who our waiter was because we had at least six different waiters offer bread, water, drinks, and served our food. Overall the food was very good, but I cannot determine whether if it was truly worth the wait. Glad we tried it, at least our curiosity was satisfied.Special Features:
- Good, Not GreatMicheleDined on 4/5/2014We were eagerly anticipating our meal at Savona based on prior reviews. The ambiance was lovely, the wait staff were extremely attentive, and the meal was good. For the money ($200 for appetizer, meal, 3 drinks, and gratuity), we were expecting much more.Special Features:
- Our party was disappointedluckyVIPDined on 3/29/2014Our party was disappointed with the service..........we felt rushed and neglected both. The expectation for excellance, heightened by the French accents, fell further as a result of the less than competant delivery. The only server who actually provided service was the woman who filled our water glasses, brought clean utensils, and helped serve the meal. All in all, the pretension was a put-off and we will not rush back
- Fine DiningPhillyMomDined on 2/27/2014We enjoy going to Savona for a fine meal. The quality of the food is very good, and the service is attentive. The past several times we gone, we've noticed that the menu has remained the same. They might consider changing up the menu more frequently or offering more specials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close, but...RJOPRDined on 2/14/2014Savona was an upscale, Bistro with the most wonderful food and the most cold, rigid wait staff. The bar was late with our coctails which compressed our pre-dinner chat time...and you don't drink a lovely scotch with food. The salt sets up the tongue for disaster in my opinion. Then late again with our after dinner drinks. The place was pretentious in execution and we were surrounded by those who I assume could afford Savona but confused the ability to pay for having the good taste to enjoy the hard work of a master chef. The noisy small children at the next table didn't help, and if there were a smile to be had from service, it was forced at best. Great food, yes. Total dining experience...not so much.Special Features:
- an excellent meal and wineLoyolaboyDined on 2/12/2014as usual, the food was really good, particularly the risotto and ravioli and dover sole. sommelier did a great job matching us with wine. service was a bit spotty all the way through, tucked back in the far corner of the porchI would recommend this to a friend.
- Savona the present was notOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/11/2014Savona the present was not the culinary experience of Savona the past. Their signature dish, Dover Sole, was not up to our pre-dining expectations which were based on having dined there when Savona was first opened. The dinner was for a very special ladies birthday, and both of us were underwhelmed.
- Best of the MainlinenaturalfoodVIPDined on 1/25/2014In our opinion, Savona is probably the only Mainline restaurant that can compare with the finest restaurants in Philadelphia. The food is special, and the servers are gracious, even charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The gem continuesStevieDined on 1/12/2014Another fine evening at Savona. We were warmly welcomed and our staff were polite and attentive. Jason is the consummate Maitre d'/Server. Our needs were handled perfectly with the quintessential blend of charm and professionalism. We dined from the casual menu on this occasion and shared the pizza as a course. Great pizza! I enjoyed the veal milanese and my companion had a delicious short rib. Nothing to complain about; a thoroughly enjoyable evening. Cannot overstate how pleased we were with Jason, who knows how to pour a proper glass of correctly temperatured wine, not trying to empty the bottle in 4 pours!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great spot, as it has beenbimmlerDined on 1/11/2014A great spot, as it has been for years now. Great bar and terrific service. The only letdown was my slightly overdone dover sole. Otherwise, food was very, very good. Drinks and service were top shelf. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was amazing and largerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/5/2014The food was amazing and larger than expected portions, the staff was very accommodating to our party as some people wanted to order from the bar menu as well as the primary menu. I have to give credit to the restaurant/valet, the weather was bad when we dined and I was very impressed that when we walked toward the front of the restaurant, all of the cars for our party were already pulled up and warmed up, it was a very nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.