Savio's - Alexandria
516 South Van Dorn Street
Alexandria, VA 22304Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Savio's - Alexandria
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saviosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7032129651
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am – 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 12:00pm – 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm – 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Savio's - Alexandria
Welcome to Savio's Italian Restaurant. We are a neighborhood favorite that offers a casual, friendly dining atmosphere that you and your friends are sure to enjoy. Featuring a friendly, professional staff of great people, who will make sure you enjoy your visit and that Savio's Restaurant lives up to our reputation for pleasant dining and superb cuisine. Our menu offers an inspired array of selections that is sure to satisfy everyone in your group, every time. It features a wide variety of items, including pastas, fresh seafood, meats, poultry, bread with Savio's herbed olive oil and home made desserts.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Savio's - Alexandria reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (9)kid-friendly (4)good for groups (4)fit for foodies (3)special occasion (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Savios--reliable neighborhood jointPSUDanoVIPDined on 9/12/2014What can I say--very good Italian food served promptly by a capable staff. Wine list is nothing to write home about, but their house chianti is good. Not for a big night out, but great for a "let's go out to dinner, I didn't get to the market" evening. Veal dishes are an especially good value.Special Features:
- LeslieLookingforaGemDined on 8/20/2014The food was just so-so. I would have thought for Restaurant Week, they would have done something to recommend their kitchen. The food was okay, but just not worth stopping in for unless you live in the neighborhood. The service was friendly enough, but they just didn't take time to set the table properly or to clean a spill. The waitress handed a napkin to my table mate and told him to wipe it up. Just odd. The staff seem to need some polishing up in their training and that would fix it. Otherwise decent for the price. I'd go again if a friend really wanted to go, but I'd probably try to talk them into another Italian place first.Special Features:
- Best of restuarant weekSadie65Dined on 8/18/2014We experienced several restaurants during restaurant week both in Alexandria and DC. By far, one of our BEST meals was at Savios!Special Features:
- It was OKJustFeedMeDined on 7/20/2014I can think of worse places to put a restaurant but, not many. Take a pass on the window seat unless you want to watch some dude change a fan belt in the parking lot. The interior was a bit worn and weathered but, I just went there because I was hungry, not because I was feeling Romantic. Hard to find an Italian menu like this for under $30.00 around here. Cocktails came quick, and a nice pour for the price. The bread was bland but acceptable as expected in Northern VA: We ain't Bayridge. Caesar Salad was standard and made me forget about the marginal bread. The risky grilled Octopus was a pleasant surprise with addictive sauce. linguini/Seafood also a risk was very good. I never do dessert. Give it a try, you might like it.
- Savios IS the REAL DEALMVPIKELLODined on 6/14/2014Being from NJ, I had my reservations about Italian food out of state. Savio's homecooking by Sicilians not only exceeded my expectations, but blew away 99% of Italian restaurants I have ever eaten at! (including NY and NJ). The service is outstanding, and the owner is very friendly. Be sure to try their specials that aren't always on the menu, including the Rockfish, Lobster stuffed Ravioli, and sometimes even a paella with monkey bread! The seafood is always fresh, the pasta home-made, and even the vegetables are always perfect. One thing EVERYONE should order is the appetize of Gorgonzola Bread. It's only about $5, but garlic bread topped with a gooey, melty Gorgonzola cheese is OUT of THIS WORLD!!!Special Features:
- Not Bad if you Don't Mind WaitingDinerDined on 6/7/2014Went a second time to Savio's. The first time, while the food was good, the service was particularly slow. We figured we would try again. In our return visit, the service remained slow. This was true even though the restaurant was relatively empty. The food remained good, but just not worth the wait.
- InvitingDebDCDined on 5/24/2014I've been there a few times, food is consistently good and the servers are so pleasant. I do wish they would upgrade the ceiling, but aside from that, a great local find!Special Features:
- The following 103 reviews are from the Savio's - Alexandria reviews archive.
- Wonderful local spotEtjsingerDined on 5/11/2014I have been to this restaurant several times and loved the food each time. This time our waiter was not great- it felt like he really was not interested in our table. However, the manager/owner more than made up for it by making sure my friends and I were very attended to. I had the pesto gnocchi which is just delicious! One friend had the spinach ravioli with veggies and the other had the eggplant parmesean appetizer. Both dishes were also wonderful! I highly recommend the food and the restaurant is lovely. Don't be scared by the terrible parking situation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Surprise.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/2/2014We stopped by as we were out shopping in the area. it was a pleasant surprise. While its in a non-descript older shopping mall, the food was quite good and our waitress was pleasant and well informed about both food and wine selections. The interior is a bit dated with many large oil paintings, but it goes along with the upscale "mom and pop" Italian theme. With the menu choices and service, it all went well together and we had a nice meal overall. I had an interesting pasta dish with lamb marinated in garlic and balsamic vinegar. Interesting combo!Special Features:
- Good and Moderately PricedRed52VIPDined on 4/24/2014Savio's is a neighborhood restaurant with good food and moderate prices. The fried caalamari appetizer is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best kept secretGooseEggDined on 4/11/2014Savior is wonderful! Every time is go its quiet relaxing and food is delicious. The wait staff is always pleasant and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/5/2014I had lived previosuly in Alexandria and never knew this place existed. I actually found it through OpenTable because of a Road Race we had the next morning. The calamari were fantastic. Home Made and delicious. Everyone loved their pasta entrees and the pasta was home made. I felt the prices and the menu were reasonable for the area. The waitress was attentive and the bread was hot and excellent also. We would definetely go back again.Special Features:
- Gem in a Shopping CenterVLawDined on 3/30/2014Very good Italian food with nice ambiance and great personal service at this long established gem located in a small but busy shopping strip. Excellent desserts as well. Even though I live in the area I had never been to this restaurant which I happened to locate on OpenTable.Special Features:
- Savio's Good Food, Fair ServiceDinerDined on 3/8/2014Went on a Saturday and was quite busy. Food was very good. Service was a bit slow. Because of the food quality, we will try again to see if we just picked a bad night.Special Features:
- Oh my goshValarieDined on 2/14/2014I must admit, pulling up to the restaurant I was skeptical but when I walked throught the doors there was a home like feel. The servers where friendly and checked on us just enough. I took my gf here for valentines day, reasonably priced food and bottles of wine. The lasagna is to die for. The calamari needs work though. Great menu. Great place. We will be back againSpecial Features:
- Savio'sBrianDined on 2/14/2014Don't be deceived by the location in a rundown stripmall. Savio's has great food, wine, service, and ambience. We love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and atmosphere.FoodFetishDined on 2/14/2014great food and atmosphere. It was Valentine's Day and they were really busy, so the service was understandably a little slow, but still had a great time. I have been there for lunch when it is not as crowded and the service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here twice, this timeCheechDined on 2/14/2014Been here twice, this time on Valentine's Day. Server was very friendly but food came out slow, some on the cold side. We both got soup as an appetizer and were told we had to wait for the soup in order to get our bread. The bread wasn't warm like it had just been baked and had clearly been sitting for a while. The soup seemed to take a long time to come out, probably due to a busy night. We were late for our reservation - I called to change time but no one answered. We arrived a half hour late and were still accommodated before others without reservations, which was not necessary on their part.Our previous experience was better when the restaurant was far less crowded. I would give this restaurant another try on a less busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at a reasonable priceMagicmikeDined on 2/14/2014I was very impressed by Savio's the moment I walked in the door. My girlfriend and I went there for Valentine's Day and it turned out to be an excelled choice. Decorations and dim lighting made for a really good atmostsphere. They have a decent wine selection and offer house wine in many different sizes. We ordered calimari as an app and it was too fried fr my liking. I soon forgot about my app once the entrees came. The pasta is absolutely incredible. Girlfriend got the pesto sauce as I got the spicy red, both very good. I recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for excellent Italian food that won't break the bank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not family friendlyvalentineDined on 2/14/2014Food was not great. Had the risotto dish with chicken and shrimp in a cream sauce. Wife had lasagna which didn't even taste as good as stouffers that you can get from the grocery store. Sign says family restaurant but they didn't have a sling or high chair to put baby carrier in. Would not recommend this restaurant.
- Nice Family Style ItalianFairfaxFoodieDined on 2/14/2014I used to live near Savio's, but hadn't been until I took my Valentine there on Friday. It looks it was once a Chinese restaurant and was then repurposed, but the food was absolutely wonderful, with generous but not overwhelming portions. We had a very good pinot noir, and even the desert (she had mousse and I had tiramisu) was fabulous. I highly recommend Savio's if you're in the mood for good Italian!Special Features:
- Good food, convenient locationMargaretVIPDined on 2/8/2014We live in Cameron Station, so were happy to find this little place so close to home. On a nice evening, we could literally walk here. The restaurant is in a not-so-pretty strip center, but don't let that fool you. Good, reasonably priced, authentic Italian food.Special Features:
- Excellent ambiance, good foodSandyJoDined on 1/31/2014Our party of four was seated near the fireplace on a very cold night -- nice! The decor of the restaurant is restful and pretty. The food was good -- not great, but good. I recommend the trout -- it was excellent, though a bit over-cooked. Sadly, we sat for almost 10 minutes before a server approached for our drink order. I had to laugh, telling my companions that I had read on this site of exactly that problem. Otherwise, service was OK, again not great. We'll go again as I know there are other good dishes on the menu, but not for a while.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/19/2014Went during Alexandria Food Week. Savio's is at one end of a strip mall in an unpretentious setting. Parking is plentiful and free. Interior decor is a bit kitchey, but we were seated in a warm and cozy area near a gas fireplace. Service was good, albeit a bit slow...food made up for the wait. The salads were fresh and flavorful. We had a Caesar and a green salad--a nice mix of greens with cukes and tomatoes. We selected the red wine special (a cabernet for $23!) that was delightful and went well with our meals; a Sicilian chicken dish and the Penne Putanesca. Sauces were very tasty. The choc/vanilla cannelloni was delicious and the berry tart very nice. We will definitely go back to try their other dishes and special deals.Special Features:
- Great Food & Great ServiceHawkes2Dined on 1/18/2014We were familiar with Alexandria and had passed Savio's many times without much thought. After this experience, Savio's will be first in our list when we are looking to dine out in Alexandria. The food was so good! We went with another couple, and even they were raving about the quality of the food when we were finished. The portions are just the right size. Eddie our server was really awesome. There were multiple parties dining during our stay at Savio's, but it never got too loud. At the end of the day, this is a great Italian restaurant with items that you aren't going to find on the menus' of other establishments. This is a place that you much visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the visit!SteveNRuth88Dined on 1/10/2014We had a great experience at Savio's the food was made fresh to order, our waitress Paula was very attentive, the ambiance was nice and it was quiet enough to have a nice conversation over dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Savio's Is Fabulous, As EverChristyDined on 1/5/2014I have been going to Savio's for personal visits and meetings for more than a decade. They NEVER fail to please. This time two of us sat near the fireplace...nice. I usually love the back corner leather booth that is perfect for a quiet meeting or celebration for several people. Although I've not had a large meeting there I wouldn't be surprised if they could easily accommodate with a little shifting of chairs and tables. PS Easy parking! Never had trouble finding a space just a few yards away from the front door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- After we sat down, nobodypierreVIPDined on 12/28/2013After we sat down, nobody came to help us at our table. After 15 minutes, we decided to leave and told the Manager. He did not even care and just said goodbye!
- Not the Usual ItaliandleaseDined on 12/25/2013Savio's has been around for at least 25 years -- so there's a lot of people that like this little restaurant tucked away in a strip mall. When we moved out of the Alexandria area almost 20 years ago, Savio's was just too far a drive. It was our nephew's birthday and Christmas, so we thought a return visit was in order. Savio's has an extensive menu with a lot ot dishes you won't find on other menus. Our three meals were very pleasant overall, but nothing that really stood out and shouted "I have to come back for this!". Our service was excellent -- friendly, professional, helpful, and witty. I'd suggest trying Savio's: the food is good, the selection different, service is great, and the prices are quite reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable neigherboon restaurantluv2dineDined on 12/21/2013Good food, friendly atmosphere, courteous wait staffSpecial Features:
- go late in the eve with your dateNoVADinerVIPDined on 11/29/2013We had early obligations that prevented us from eating early eve so arrived at 9:45pm. We were greeted at the door warmly and had the entire restaurants to ourselves, The wait staff helped us arrange a table in front of the little gas lit fireplace, as it was a very cold outside. (kitschy, but fun). Food was excellent even at the late hour and the staff were kind enough to be attentive but didn't make us feel we were imposing in the last hour of serving. They are open til 11pm on Fridays, so that worked well for us. My N. C. -based boyfriend is a traveler and seeks out Italian food when he visits. This time he declared we had found the best and that we didn't need to search any further. We will make Savio's our regular spot for dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a great meal with wonderfulLDDDDDDDDined on 11/17/2013We had a great meal with wonderful service. Snails in mushroom caps was super, the sausage pasta dish was great and the salmon dish done just right. We should have stuck with the plain garlic bread, the garlic bread with gorgonzola cheese is a just too greasy. Service was super. Everyone was knowledgeable. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about wines and was attentive throughout the meal. We had a very good dinner and will come back. Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't judge a book by its cover!BJDADined on 11/15/2013When we pulled into the parking lot of the strip mall, I wanted to find somewhere else. This restaurant didn't look great from the outside, but once inside, it was well decorated and nicer. Our waitress was fabulous and the food was SO good! I didn't expect it to be as good as it was. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Savio's is our favorite restaurantJoanieJJoDined on 11/12/2013Savio's has been my family's favorite restaurant for 20 years! The food is outstanding. The service is always the best. We have brought many committees and guest to Savio's and it is always well received. We had 10 guest there last Saturday for my mother's birthday. Everyone enjoyed it! We brought another guest this week - his first visit - and he indicated he would be back this weekend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip this restuarant.jimboDined on 11/10/2013This restuarant is way past it's prime. The bread was terrible. The Calamari was like shoe leather. The fruit tarte pastry was dry tasteless and tough. The chocolate mousse was grainy and dry. Would not recommend to a friend.
- Hidden Gem for Italian!MikeTDined on 11/8/2013This spot is in an unassuming shopping center right on Van Dorn St near the Metro Station. It is right on the corner and very easily missed. Once inside though, you are in for a fine dining experience unrivaled in the area. The food is EXCELLENT, service is great and the ambiance of the place is wonderful. Can't recommend it i enough!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousAmazingVIPDined on 11/6/2013The food is always amazing and delicious. I love coming here. Great atmosphere, food, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the BestBeaudelaireDined on 10/22/2013Savios is the best little secret restaurant in the Landmark area of Alexandria, VA. The service is efficient and very pleasant, the menu is extensive and delicious, and the owner takes a personal interest in each and every diner.Special Features:
- Surprisingly Good!DebDCDined on 10/21/2013I have lived in the area since 1997 and I've never been to Savios, what a mistake that was on my part! The food was great, the servers were so helpful and attentive, especially to my 3 year old son. Thanks for a great dining experience. We will be back!Special Features:
- Fine DiningMikeDined on 9/21/2013I looked up Fine Dining in Alexandria. This restaurant came up so I made an on-line reservation. This is not Fine Dining. I requested a quiet table that I could sit next to my date. I was given a high table in the middle of the floor next to the bar. My reservation was not acknowledged at all. Plus, there was a very, very large party, 50 plus people who were extremely loud. I should have been given the courtesy and e-mailed that there was a large party present, it was not romantice and it is more of a jeans and t-shirt place. Kind of like the Mexican place next door. The food was excellent and well priced. The 7 dollar bottle of wine at COSTCO was priced at 34 dollars but that was OK. Will go again but not on a nice date.Special Features: