140 Smith St
Brooklyn, NY 11201Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saulrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7189359844
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 5:30-10:00 pm, Friday, Saturday until 11:00 pm;
CLOSED TUESDAYS THRU SUMMER
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Saul Bolton
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: SAUL caters off-site for any event small or large.
- Private Party Facilities: The dining room may be booked for private events accomodating up to 50 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Lisa Bolton 718-935-9844
- Special Events: $40 four course seasonal menu in addition to the a la carte menu.
A word from Saul Restaurant
SAUL, somewhere in between solid neighborhood restaurant and special occasion must....it is all about the food on the plate....the mission remains savory, strong flavors in a comfortable and relaxed environment. SAUL wants his customers to feel comfortable in a tuxedo or t-shirt while eating well......try our tasting menu.....we like it and know you will too!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Saul Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- could not modify or even canceljonathanDined on 8/22/2013could not modify or even cancel reservation which made it impossible to make an open table reservation elsewhere . is this place even still open ?
- OutstandingKittenDined on 7/14/2013Saul's food and whole dining experience is unsurpassed. Freshness of the food, originality of presentation, no fussiness. Looking forward to seeing the restaurant in its new location at the Brooklyn Museum this fall. What a great idea!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saul's Last Supper on Smith StreetOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/14/2013What an experience! The squab liver mousse was extraordinary, the house-made merguez so delicious I wish there had been more, the lamb belly a discovery, that ribeye absolutely memorable. Selfishly sorry the restaurant won't be so close to home anymore once it re-opens at the Brooklyn Museum, but look forward to rediscovering it in its new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thought the waiter was cold.SwedeDined on 7/12/2013Thought the waiter was cold. Made the table of 5 uncomfortable, felt like i was back inFrance, but unlike France he did his job well. Food portions were small, food was good but not great for the price. Not likely to return.Special Features:
- Wonderful always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2013Saul deserves the Michelin star! We look forward to their new digs at the Brooklyn Museum opening this fall! But We will miss them on Smith StSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricy but Delivers on ExpectationsPastajoeDined on 7/10/2013The food was excellent and the service superior, but you'll pay for it. We went to Saul on our anniversary with old friends and everybody enjoyed their meals. We had 2 orders of the loin of lamb (with lamb sausage), one scallops and one black bass. All were rewarding.Special Features:
- ordered the tasting menu withOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/29/2013ordered the tasting menu with pairing. carrot soup (cilantro with pepper) on par with best soup I have ever tasted. Outstanding meal. Not inexpensive. @ $400 with tip for two of us including cocktail each.Special Features:
- great eveningWelikegoodfoodDined on 6/28/2013We loved our diner at Saul's. The food looks simple but is very wel cooked. The ambiance, quiet with some soft music, pleased us. The friendly waiter advised us very well on the wine that should go with our food, a Nappa Valley Chardonney (we don't know anything about Califonian wines). We had a full meal with starters, entree and desert. It was all cooked to perfect taste and structure. As I am used to cultivated salmon I never knew how a good salmon could taste. Great. Thank you people at Saul for this evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sadly DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 6/27/2013Having eaten at Saul several times in the past (and having brought friends with us on some of those occasions), we were very disappointed in our dinner. My mushroom appetizer and goat cheese cake were as good as ever, but my husband and I both ordered the rabbit entrée, which was four or five bites of loin meat and about a teaspoon worth of rib meat. We don't mind (in fact we prefer) moderate portions, but the serving was meager. We are also disappointed that the restaurant no longer offers the prix-fixe menu that we always thought was excellent in both quality and value. If they lost money on the prix-fixe, they could simply have raised the price. I don't think we will return to Saul, a restaurant we used to love.
- Saul Wows in Cozy Brooklyn Setting!RayGDined on 6/19/2013Saul sits casually among eclectic Boerum Hill storefronts, and exudes a welcoming warmth. The menu (each one with a different, charming, black-and-white, evocative photo) holds many delights. My food allergies and intolerances are a challenge when dining out, and our very accommodating server took excellent notes and provided reassuring answers. The chef carefully reworked recipes so that I could eat safely and well, even providing an alternate amuse bouche (not expected) and thoughtful revision of a delicious roasted beet salad. Our entrees of roasted Atlantic striped bass were as pleasing to the eyes as they were to our palates. Nothing fussy or pretentious here, just spectacular food treated with respect and great creativity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- won't be backoldbrooklyniteDined on 6/8/2013The food was wonderful but the portions extremely small for the price--3 scallops and 20 peas for an entree is a bit mingy. Service was lovely, noise level unbearable.
- Reservations?LarryDined on 6/3/2013I hesitated going to this restaurant as I hear that one had to reserve a table at least six months in advance. On a chance I made a reservation for the same day that I wanted and got it. Perhaps because it was a Monday. The pros : excellent, friendly, service. The food is prepared expertly and is delicious. The bread is outstanding, and we received treats before and after the meal. The cons: the prices are rather high, both for the food and wine, and the portions are on the small size. The latter may be a good thing. And the high prices keep out the McDonalds crowed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Meal on SmithBrooklynDinerVIPDined on 5/30/2013This was just about the perfect meal. Everything we ordered was prepared and served beautifully. We shared the salmon tartare and the white asparagus appetizer. We could have been in France eating the first spring asparagus, it was so fresh. We then shared two entres, the wild salmon and the black bass. Again, each was perfectly cooked and accompanied by wonderful veggies. The wine we chose, a reasonably priced Sancerre, was served at just the right temperature and was a very balanced wine for the price. Great meal, great service. Still one of the best restaurants on Smith StreetSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely deliciousTipsteinDined on 5/26/2013And the most wonderful service. Highly recommend for foodies looking for a a delicious and different meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service and superb foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2013The service was incredible - attentive without being overpowering. The squab, rabbit and halibut were all perfect. To apologize for not having salmon (my first choice), the kitchen sent us a free dessert. From the wonderful bread to the mouth-watering desserts and after dinner drinks, it was an unforgettable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another outstanding experienceSaulfanDined on 5/24/2013Saul never disappoints. We just had a very memorable night at Saul with wonderful food and absolutely exceptional service. Saul is one of the loveliest and most reliably wonderful restaurants in NYC. Go there on a special occasion or if you simply want to have a fantastic meal in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a taste of FranceCecile30Dined on 5/18/2013I appreciated the foi gras and the fish and I felt a bit as I was at home actually ( France). The "cuisine" is just very refined and brings out the product. Thank you for this delicious meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite up to the starKC1234VIPDined on 5/17/2013A little disappointed with the meal after reading such great reviews. Menu is very limited and fish was bland, rabbit overcooked.
- Solid surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 5/17/2013We returned to a neighborhood we left in 1977 and this is a great find. Great food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat herebrooklynnDined on 5/12/2013Been going to Saul's since they opened. Always on their game, always delicious, always a wonderful meal served with warm attention and exacting professionalism.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We waited almost 1.5 hours to startOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/11/2013We had a reservation at 8:45, but we had to wait until 9:30 to be seated. We didn't start eating something until 10:15. The food was delicious but I don't understand why they make reservations if they can't manage them.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We've lived in the neighborhoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013We've lived in the neighborhood for a little over a year now and kept wanting to try it, so finally did Saturday night when my parents came into town. Scallops were AMAZING, and so was the salmon tartar appetizer. Also tried dessert, and it was the best dessert I think I've ever had. 100% get the Baked Alaska there. I would come back just for that even.Special Features:
- Best restaurant meal this yearMarcopoloDined on 5/10/2013One of the best meals I've had in the NYC area ever. The menu matched the season perfectly. Every bite was delicious and intriguing to the palate. I had the white asparagus appetizer in a grainy Dijon mustard sauce while my friend had the salmon tartare. Both were delicious and beautifully presented. For my main I had Scallops in a slightly spicy salad of chick peas and cucumber. My friend had the pork. We both licked the plates. Shared baked Alaska for dessert. Awesome meringue. Wine list was small but thoughtfully stocked. We had wines by the glass, both of which were reasonably priced and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We came for our 40th Anniversary!LoughDined on 5/5/2013We live in Manhattan and this is our favorite gourmet restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second visit and we enjoyedanneDined on 5/4/2013Our second visit and we enjoyed it even more. The salmon starter was delicious, my friend had a beautiful salmon main course, I loved the steak - my husband's pork was not up to the other two dishes though he enjoyed it. We had a really nice bottle of Gigondas and the baked alaska they make is fantastic. I will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Saul is sensationalsparDined on 4/27/2013What a great place! We had tickets for BAM and wanted to eat locally. The staff could not have been more accommodating and gracious. Our party size increased by one and they were fine with it. When two of us were late because of traffic, they still managed to get us fed in time for the show. However, it is the food that makes this place so outstanding. Every dish was spectacular. The rabbit leg was perfect. And the Baked Alaska desert is in my top five deserts of all time. So, even though I live in New Jersey, I will be fighting the tunnel, the bridge and Canal Street to return to Saul as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Fantastic food, knowledgableOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/25/2013Fantastic food, knowledgable and courteous device, comforting ambience.Special Features:
- We had seen this place onOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2013We had seen this place on a UK TV show which highlighted their Baked Alaska. We had that, plus their taster menu and it was all excellent, portions just right and cooked and served with perfection. Well worth a cab ride out from Manhattan.Special Features:
- I was disappointed in thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/20/2013I was disappointed in this 1-star Michellin-rated as the quality and creativity is not what I would come to expect other than the high prices and small portions. Having spent $400 for 3 people (two bottles of mid-priced wine), I remember nothing at all -- which is a really sad commentary.Special Features:
- Menue was very limited; heavyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/20/2013Menue was very limited; heavy with fish; we arrived at 7 pm and learned there were only 2 order of the lamb special still available -- and reserved one of them, only to be told 15 minutes later that it had been given away and was no longer available. Hardly the performance one expects from a high-rated (27 in Zagat) restaurant.
- Fantastic food and very attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/17/2013Fantastic food and very attentive service. We went early (5:30) on a Wednesday, so we didn't get to experience the restaurant when it was bustling. But going that early let us have our servers full attention, which was nice. It felt like going to a friend's home for an intimate dinner. If your friends could cook this well!Special Features:
- Air Supply on a plateOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2013I had visited this restaurant many years ago and it was fantastic. Apparently this was during the period it had earned it's Michelin Star. Typical Smith Street ambiance with nice smooth jazz upon arrival appropriate for a French romantic restaurant. In the middle of dinner, the music was switched to Charlie Daniels Pandora which effectively killed all sense of romance. This was followed by music being turned up in the kitchen to tune out the Charlie Daniels. Usually I am all about the food so it takes a lot for me to complain about the setting. When I asked for more appropriate music, it was switched to Bee Gees Pandora The food was good at best with no real standouts except for a delicous carrot soup. No creative sauces or combinations
- Fantastic!! The smoked fishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/30/2013Fantastic!! The smoked fish appetizer of your dreams!!Special Features:
- Excellent contemporary FrenchdineNwhineVIPDined on 3/24/2013Excellent contemporary French six course pre-fixe with attentive snd friendly service. Beets with horsradish yougut sauce, potato crusted bass, roasted squab and chocolate and cherries worked well. One of the best in Brooklyn.Special Features:
- The food is sublime and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2013The food is sublime and the service excellent--Saul is one of our two favorite fine-dining restaurants in our neighborhood.Special Features:
- Very good !Very busy!Had toJoe1Dined on 3/16/2013Very good !Very busy!Had to wait a little but t was worth it.Special Features:
- I came here for the firstHKHKDined on 3/16/2013I came here for the first time with my boyfriend to celebrate his birthday, and everyone who touched our table was kind, attentive, and generous. From the second we walked through the door to the moment we left, we felt welcomed and well taken care of. The food was impeccable, with the squab being the particular standout. The baked Alaska was a wonderful end to our meal. Thanks to the staff who made us feel so special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service - the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Excellent service - the best - and very good food. The portions were a little small but it didn't detract from the wonderful evening at the is superb restaurant.Special Features:
- 6 of us- 3 couples, came forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/20136 of us- 3 couples, came for my birthday dinner on Saturday night. We all loved our food and wine. I am a strict vegetarian and they had no problem accommodating me. Service is warm , helpful and excellent. So happy to have this restaurant in Brooklyn.Special Features:
- Great service. Quiet and lovelyEaterDined on 3/15/2013Great service. Quiet and lovely atmosphere. Met a friend at Saul and we had great scallops with chorizo and Char. Seafood was very well prepared and presented. My friend tasted about 4 wines before picking one. The waiter was patient and gracious about it. Will definitely return.Special Features: