214 SW Broadway
Portland, OR 97205Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.saucebox.com/
- Phone: 5032413393x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Five nights a week. Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:30pm - 12:00am, Friday: 4:30pm - 2:00am; Saturday: 5:00pm - 2am; Closed Sunday and Monday, except for large group private events.
Happy Hour from 4:30 to 6:30 pm Tuesday through Friday, Saturday 5:00 to 6:00 pm (open at 5:00 on Saturdays)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Asian
- Executive Chef: Alex Diestra
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live DJ's Nightly. Please visit http://www.saucebox.com/dj.html for all current residents and nights.
- Special Events: Event Coordinator: Alice Wagner-Stout
A word from Saucebox
Established in 1995, Saucebox has maintained its reputation in the city as the place for the finest Pan-Asian and Pacific Island cuisine. The menu pulls from a wealth of bold and authentic flavors. Fruit infusions, elixirs and our notable "liquor laboratory" are also specialties of the house.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Saucebox - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Saucebox reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (33)special occasion (28)vibrant bar scene (23)romantic (19)hot spot (15)late-night find (14)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Great Girl's Night!imnotcookingDined on 9/25/2014We were four long-time friends out to catch up and decided to dine "outside of the box" and not go to Olive Garden or Applebees again! So glad we did. Two of the girls had the ribs and said they were fabulous, one had the pork shank and also said it was great. I had the 3 cup chicken and although it looked beautiful and was cooked just right (very moist) it was pretty bland. We had fun cocktails too. All in all I would recommend it!Special Features:
- good food, good timesartjamacVIPDined on 9/23/2014My friends and I enjoyed the experience. Had some dim sum items and salmon entrees. The dinner entrees took a while to bring it out, but the food were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware Asian Fusion!GoodDined on 9/23/2014I should have followed my gut and said no to Asian fusion which too often disappoints, but the reviews were very good and it was close by so we decided to give it a try. Nice, classy interior, however, Nike was having a group dinner upstairs (no walls), using a mic it was incredibly loud and obnoxious. Everyone was complaining & our waiter tried to quiet them down to no avail. Waiter was good (can't remember his name), but food was bland and very disappointing. Had 4 small plates and 1 entree - none were great. Salt & pepper shrimp were tasteless and shrimp were mushy. Sweet potato spring rolls, potstickers & steamed crab buns were just ok, nothing special. Rice noodle curry had the most flavor but noodles were very sparse. Save your money!
- Great Service and FoodGoodEatsDined on 9/20/2014The server Nick was very knowledgeable about the whole menu and was very accommodating. The cocktails were tasty and the food was delicious. The food taste exceeded my expectations (I am used to hole in the wall Asian food establishments).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great AtmosphereSteveSDined on 9/17/2014Great food and great atmosphere. A very nice downtown Portland dining spot!Special Features:
- Great service, food & drinks.wednesdaynightdinerDined on 9/10/2014We had excellent service, the food was amazing, drink menu was extensive and delicious and the wine list did not disappoint. I would recommend this restaurant to others and I will be back. We always dine out on Wednesday nights and I was happy to find that the energy in this restaurant was a bonus.Special Features:
- Amazing Food, A Must TryNew2PDXDined on 9/6/2014I have always been curious to try Saucebox just by the reviews I have read online and its intriguing storefront on Broadway. We went for my sister in laws birthday this past weekend and we were completely blown away. The atmosphere was beautiful, cozy, yet modern--the service was impeccable, and the food was incredible. The wives split an array of sushi and the husbands each had the short ribs (which were to die for). We will def. be back again!!Special Features:
- Ehhh...it was okay.TannernTaraDined on 9/5/2014The restaurant was highly recommended by our hotel staff. The tables were way too close together. I could elbow the other diners and the server couldn't talk to a table without having his backside in another table's faces. The cocktails were tasty, food was okay, the server did his job -but nothing more. We had the dim sum platter and the ahi appetizer. The only thing that was really good was the sushi. TSpecial Features:
- Great Asian FoodZachDined on 9/2/2014Overall very good experience. Loved the Yuca chips instead of bread. Softshell crab sliders & ceviche were great starters. Wines Pork Shank was incredible. Only complaint would be to put less sauce on the sushi roll. Staff was very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Glad I Finally Tried ItJYTravelerDined on 9/2/2014I've heard about this restaurant for a long time, but somehow had never been there. The food and service were superb. I had the Javanese Salmon and my husband had the pork shank. Both were cooked to perfection, with elegant, subtle flavors. The dashi broth on the brussels sprouts was worth going back for even if I had nothing else.Special Features:
- Special place with special food.EaglesDined on 8/30/2014Loved the ambience, the wait staff, the food. Perfect spot for dining with someone you love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, spotty serviceFujiDined on 8/29/2014I've been going here for many years. The food and drinks are still excellent, but the service seems to have slipped. We didn't get our drinks until after food had arrived and the timing of the food arrival was not good. So, I still highly recommend Saucebox for the food, but know there is a chance you will have a less crisp service than you would expect.Special Features:
- Great downtown Portland spotLoveDowntownPortlandDined on 8/21/2014Excellent food - can enjoy just with starters - main meal was awesome. Bar drink menu is 4 pages !!!! Had dinner and really enjoyed food, atmosphere and downtown Portland sceneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findOzdiazDined on 8/16/2014Always wondered about this place and we finally went in from Baileys pub across the street. Food was good, service well done and an overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place, will return!CertExecChefDined on 8/13/2014The food is excellent. It is completely chef created and has pan Asian fusion influences. Service is top notch, the staff is extremely professional and knowledgable.Special Features:
- only for drinks, if at alllove2eatgloballyDined on 8/5/2014the sushi was old and fishy tasting, the chicken was all but inedible, the oysters were just on the edge......they were "in between" times when they offer desserts and it was expensive..... I would not go go here to eat only to drink, and even then it was more trendy than comfortable. Had a better meal at a cart for 20% of the price.
- Simply amazing.JengoodDined on 7/31/2014I stumbled upon your website while looking for a good dinner spot, made reservations and then was there that night. All I have to say is my husband and I were shocked! The food was mind blowing. The service was on point, and the scene was super cute. I've already recommended it to everyone I know that lives here and we will be returning next time we visit. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of those go-to spotsNickalDined on 7/29/2014Recommend for drinks, recommend for food, recommend for service. You get what you pay for, and it is an excellent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience at SbxJessStalloneDined on 7/16/2014I've been here many times for multiple occasions and I've always had a great experience.Special Features:
- MooshDined on 7/15/2014I loved the creativity in all the different cocktails! The food was great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!DavidRS4VIPDined on 7/12/2014Food at Saucebox was great! I was walking by and it caught my eye so I decided to stop by for dinner. They had Aqua Panna which I like and I ordered the appetizer platter. Everything on the platter was great! I saw they had a small burger on their "Happy hour" menu. I tried to order it but I was told that it was 2 min past happy hour and the chef would not make it. I had already had a $40 check for 1 person - they could have accommodated me and served me the small burger even though it was 2 min past the time. Also I sat down 30 min before the happy hour was over and requested the menu to look at. The waiter was polite and service was good otherwise. If you are in Portland make sure to try their food - its worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The mainstay of broadwayUnicoffeeDined on 6/25/2014This a place that could become our go-to date night winner. Saucebox has a great concept with their Portland twist on dim sum traditions. The portions are great and beverages creative. They deserve a spot on your short list for great night out spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was greatNightOwlDined on 6/14/2014We went for a bachelorette party and we weren't the only ones! On a Saturday they were super busy. The waiters were so nice and the drinks were as delicious as they looked (and they looked amazing!) A bit noisy, but like I said they were packed. Over all, it was a great experience. [:Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodYourChefDined on 6/4/2014We followed our server, Raylan's recommendations and had the Asian cucumber salad, pork sarong, and softshell crab steam buns. All were excellent. We were still hungry and ordered the sbx chicken wings, which were only average. I don't recommend them, but I do highly recommend going to Saucebox.Special Features:
- The following 354 reviews are from the Saucebox reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2014Bad exerpience. music is so loud you cant carry a conversation. Food had a funky taste and did not eat it. Resturant was practically empty and service was super slow. We asked for the check and got it 15 minutes later and then it took 15 minutes to process. Very expensive for bad tasting food
- Great foodNuts4foodDined on 5/9/2014Interesting menu, fresh and fun location. Loud bar scene but worth it for the food. My 82 year old mom wasn't too keen on the stairs to the second level as it was very dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My 40thjdmamaDined on 5/3/2014I had a wonderful 40th b day with 10 amazing women. They are all still talking about the food as well as the wonderful service and feel of the space. We will come back again. Thank you for making by birthday so special!!Special Features:
- Asian Food with an AttitudebigwindsDined on 4/30/2014Saucebox is great Asian Fusion food, great service, great drinks in a hip environment near the Benson Hotel in downtown Portland. Great for business dinners with foods for all ethnic types. The drink list is great the whiskey tasting was fun! A great place to build relationships while in Portland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- my 28th birthdaygr8tDined on 4/25/2014I love love saucebox. I love the low lighting and the music choice. I loved our waiter. He was awesome!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and staff uninspiringGWMMDined on 4/25/2014Had several sushi menu items, hamachi sashimi was awful...very fishy. The rest was just okay. Was very disappointed overall.
- Where Happy Hour turns into Dinner+wowjavieDined on 4/18/2014I made reservations at Saucebox for Happy Hour with friends. We requested a window booth in the back portion of the restaurant where it was a bit quieter so we could catch up. Two cocktails and some apps later, we were wanting to stay for dinner as well. The waiters were extremely accommodating to our requests and the food they kept bring was divine. I love any Bruce Carey Restaurant, and Saucebox is not exception! Note: the music can be quite a bit louder in the front and upstairs portion of the restaurant - request the back if you want it a bit quieter. They will accommodate you if they can!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian Fusion meets Trendy BarJessStalloneDined on 4/16/2014I had been to Saucebox before I decided to take my group of female coworkers here for a mentoring dinner, but I had only had the bar experience. Sitting down for a nice meal in their back room with a group was fabulous. The food was amazing and their drink menu is extensive. I will definitely come back for their bar and restaurant experience.Special Features:
- Saucebox Still Stands UphtweedDined on 4/12/2014We used to go there when it first opened years ago. It was mostly a bar (with great food) at the time. I remember a Pho noodle dish that was superb. We moved to the suburbs and kind of forgot about Saucebox, but re-visited last weekend after a movie downtown. It still has interesting Asian fusion food, a dark bar, and also a nice, bright dining area behind the bar. The food was good, but not as good as my memory of that original noodle dish. It could be that at the time there were very few great food places in PDX, so anything above average really sticks in my mind. I would still recommend Saucebox - especially good for drinks and appetizers. The bar is quite lively.Special Features:
- Good for a girls' nightDWD123Dined on 3/28/2014Really diverse, fun cocktail list and a cool room make this a good place to head for a girls' night out. The food was good but def not "fit for foodies" good. Nice low lighting and good music give it a fun vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bday dinnerTortor2000Dined on 3/22/2014Thanks to Saucebox for making my birthday dinner special! The service was amazing, drinks were awesome, and the food was delicious! This dinner experience is going to be repeated, because Saucebox is my new favorite place to eat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findDiningreviewsDined on 3/14/2014I had only been to Saucebox once before for happy hour, but selected it during Portland dining month for dinner. Was pleasantly that their dining area was spacious and quiet. The food was delicious. Would highly recommend it for anyone interested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date SpotKellyDined on 2/28/2014The drinks were top notch, the food was amazing and the service was fantastic. I was a little worried about the noise from the very crowded bar, but the restaurant was not overwhelmingly loud. I would recommend this spot for a nice date night.Special Features:
- Saucebox for the bar onlybppdxDined on 2/15/2014While the food and service at Saucebox are very good, if you are seeking a dining experience this may not be your place. The bar is great. But the dining room lacks warmth and the very loud thumping music that works in the bar is overpowering in the stark dining room. The dining room was great at holiday time when the beautiful flocked trees muffled some of the noise. But when we dined there on Feb 16, 2014 we could not wait to be relieved of the loud music. Every now and then there was a break in the music but it always returned, like a bad headache...bummer.
- A wonderful taste experiencerobbieDined on 2/15/2014The red curry dis was wonderful, the salad rolls so fresh. I really enjoyed the dining experience.Special Features:
- Great food, seated in the cornerGoodeatsDined on 2/15/2014The food was great! The drinks were interesting and tasty! We were seated in the corner and could have touched the people at the table next to us. When we arrived for our 5:30 reservation not many people were they yet. We asked to be moved to another table, but were told that the other tables were reserved. By the time we left close to 630 there were still open tables that we could have been seated at. Be sure ask to not be seated in the corner.Special Features: