78 Rivington St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.saucerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2124207700x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am. Brunch Saturday + Sunday: 11:00am - 3:45pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Frank Prisinzano
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a beautiful private dining room that can sit up to 30 guests. We offer personalized family style prix fixe menus and beverage packages.
- Private Party Contact: Daria Albert 2124207700x
A word from Sauce
Sauce is Frank Prisinzano's fourth neighborhood restaurant in lower Manhattan. Sauce's nose-to-tail red sauce trattoria approach fuses culinary tradition & innovation with the freshest local ingredients.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sauce reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)good for groups (40)fit for foodies (36)great for outdoor dining (31)hot spot (19)romantic (16)late-night find (10)notable wine list (9)special occasion (8)vibrant bar scene (8)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (5)great for lunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Healthy Italian!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I loved that everything was totally fresh, organic and beef was grass fed. The sauces were as good as grandmas homemade! Salads extremely fresh and innovative. Trendy, energetic and a great beer selection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love pastaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014I love pasta so eating their fresh hand made pasta was amazing! Great taste and texture. It was perfect. I wish I had room to try their steak too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedBellesssDined on 9/6/2014While stuck in traffic, I telephoned Sauce to inform them I'll be 15 minutes late and was told I'll lose that table. I complained that there is always a 15 minute window for late reservations so was put on hold then told I can still keep my reservation. The waitress was super attentive, but made it obvious she wanted us to finish fast so that the turnover could be speedy and more lucrative. I get that it's a business and that she's there to make money, but would prefer to not feel so pushed to eat and leave. I've never felt this way before in the past and will continue to eat at this restaurant because it's always satisfying to my palate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, very rushed serviceFoodForThoughtDined on 9/6/2014If it weren't for the very good, homestyle food at Sauce, I might not consider returning. The noise level on a weekend night was almost overwhelming but the real issue is the service. While the service was friendly, our three courses arrived almost on top of one another and we were not allowed any time at all to enjoy pre-dinner cocktails. Four of us were dining and among us, we had several drinks, a bottle of wine and two to three courses each. Our meal was over in a slightly more than an hour and we felt rushed at every turn, almost gobbling down our food to keep up with the service. If we return, we will know to request more leisurely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/5/2014The food itself was great and very tasty - especially the filetto pasta dish! My only complaints would have to be that our waitress was extremely negligent and that it was too hot in the restaurant itself (we were nearly drowning in sweat!) Please use the AC on humid days!Special Features:
- Delicious, super fresh and funLemmingenrouteDined on 8/30/2014Went for a birthday party with 9 people plus baby (called to modify Open Table res with no problem). Wait staff good but busing staff not always the best - sometimes too quick to clear. Food was incredible. We probably ate about 50% of the menu items and every single one was a home run. Way better than Little Italy for dinner although dessert was just good jot great. They did bring a nice dessert out with candle for birthday boy. Try the meatballs, any of the homemade pastas, and any specials they have that sound good (we had 3 and all were delicious). Bolognese and grandmas sauce were my favorites but every sauce we tried was delicious. Very fair price - For 9.5 people with drinks, lots of apps, entrees and desserts, total was under $400.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SaucePeachesDined on 8/28/2014The first time I went to sauce it was fabulous. They had a shared dish with pork and pasta that was amazing. I have been there maybe 4 times since and am always disappointed. I really want to like it but it is just not interesting enough. We tried it again on a family outing and I regretted the choice. We are a foodie family and while the ingredients are very fresh and well sourced the dishes lack interest in their spicing. The food ends up being too bland.Special Features:
- Waiter had an attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/26/2014By and large, our dinner at Sauce was very good. Outside of the braciole, which two of my fellow diners disliked immensely, the food was delicious and well-prepared. Overall, the staff was pleasant and accommodating, but our main complaint was with our waiter, who had a haughty and superior attitude from the get-go. I'm not sure if it's because we took too long to order, he didn't think we were "hip" enough for the restaurant/neighborhood, or he's just naturally snippy, but it came through loud and clear that he barely tolerated us. After we ordered dessert, it was impossible to find him and we had to ask the busboy to get our check. It's a shame, because I would definitely return, but would be very reluctant to sit in his station.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok...but....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014The portions were tiny for all five in our party. An expensive caprese salad which should have been an entree was clearly just a salad. Bolognese sauce was very good but again--tiny portions.Good that they were generous with bread. Server must have been having a mediocre day. Came to check on us just as we were finishing and never a smile. Hmmm....
- Great for a large groupOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/18/2014We had a large party come in before an event. The food was fantastic and the staff ensured we were able to be finished by the time we needed to leave!Special Features:
- DisappointingFoodie88VIPDined on 8/11/2014Been to Sauce 2 other times and everything was wonderful, food was amazing, service was great, and ambiance was perfect. This time I felt the food was off, the service was awful (busboys were more attentive and knowledgable than the server), and we are now unsure if we'll ever come back. Very disappointing because we used to love Sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KillerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014This place is a must for New York. Get rose she is killer and the food is awesome she takes care of you as a table. Cheers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solid Italianbellbiv13VIPDined on 8/2/2014Sauce is a very good moderately priced Italian restaurant with interesting takes on its dishes. They have traditional fare with a slight twist as well as dishes to explore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The Bar was so nice and the bartenders here are awesome. The food was good, and I think you have to have the pasta to really get the full experience- otherwise it's just as comparable to the meatball shop or other competitorsSpecial Features:
- Lmh3517Dined on 8/2/2014We had a reservation for 7 and were greeted and seated immediately. The food was pretty good but the portions were extremely small. The worst part about our experience was the wait staff. After the waitress took our order it was almost impossible to get her attention when we needed more drinks or to order dessert. Getting the check also took longer than it should have.
- econoinkerVIPDined on 7/30/2014Conventional red sauce Italian, but beautifully prepared and quite inexpensive. Pastas were outstanding, as were the fried zucchini sticks. There’s loud music, but it’s still possible to carry on a conversation.Special Features:
- Food is good, not greatPetecooksVIPDined on 7/29/2014Good food. very good and friendly service. Garlic bread was a little too heavy on the garlic. Great octopus appetizer. Parpadelle pasta was fresh but mushroom sauce was a little heavy on the oil. Salad was fresh. Zucchini sticks/Chios were VERY salty. Overall, food seemed a little heavy on the salt.Special Features:
- Good, but very overpricedTaraVIPDined on 7/28/2014Very small portions for the price paid; excellent food, mediocre service for a very high bill. I'd only recommend this to someone who had money to waste. You can easily get food that's as good for better prices (and appropriate portions) elsewhere.
- Not much to write home aboutfarolitaDined on 7/25/2014We were enough in number (16) to fill two tables we'd reserved, but management did nothing to seat us near each other when it could easily have been done. The bar was stocked with one rum and one tequila. The food was mediocre at best. Red sauce Italian with no flare. I had a salad that came looking good enough, but I doubt if it was dressed in olive oil, or at best, extra virgin; I could barely sense the sparky acidic taste of vinegar; the few pinoli seemed to be fried (pinoli are quite oil-rich and need toasting, not frying), and I could go on. I guess it works as a hangout where conviviality friends trumps the food and service. Note: It had also been quite difficult contacting restaurant by phone staff about our res.
- NateDined on 7/25/2014If you sit outside, try not to sit on the Allen St side. Lots of car noise. Aside from that, the food was awesome, especially the burrata and the lasagna. Will go back. Meatballs were damn good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian in the neighborhood!ebg209Dined on 7/23/2014We usually eat family style so that everyone can try everything. In groups of 3 or more I recommend getting the plank as one of those dishes. The portions are appropriate (not too big, not too small). And remember to save room for dessert! All of them are amazing.Special Features:
- Great Food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/18/2014We love Sauce. The food was great, the ambiance vibrant, perfect to go with friends. Thank you!!!!Special Features:
- Big flavor, small portionsmbny1818VIPDined on 7/18/2014Really delicious. Red sauce like grandma. Pricey for the size of portions... But really good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-so Food, Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014Took us probably an hour to get our check and pay after we finished our meal. Why you ask? Because our waitress decided to leave without telling us.Special Features:
- Excellent food, good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I enjoyed my meal here thouroughly, loved the food and I especially like italian. I highly recommend any one of their pastas. absolutely exceptionalSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/11/2014Despite having a reservation, we were seated about 20 minutes after our whole party arrived. The wait staff was pushy and continuously tried to clear our unfinished plates. The food was good overall, definitely go for the specials.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, hearty, but not haute cuisinelstoneDined on 7/5/2014I took a bunch of high school kids here and it worked out well. The restaurant was efficient in that I had made a reservation which they called to confirm ahead of time. We sat outside -- it was summer -- which we enjoyed but, consequently, I can't comment on inside dining. Fortunately, the dress code was very relaxed (or non-existent), so the kids' casual clothing wasn't a problem. The food was hearty and, as I recall, the portions were good-sized. While the red sauce was definitely good, even the kids noticed that the food wasn't haute cuisine. But it was good for what it was. While I wouldn't travel 30 minutes to return here, I definitely would consider going back if looking for a place to eat on the Lower Eastside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hipster red sauceLW10014Dined on 7/4/2014The dishes you grew up on in Southern Italian restaurants, with better ingredients, a lower level Carbone. But everything is oversauced and unless you can stand a thunderous noise level, sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/4/2014Traditional Italian-American dishes but prepared beautifully and a few surprises: zucchini strings! Casual but professional service. Quite satisfying.Special Features:
- GROUP HAD FUN AND GOOD FOODLOVEFOODDined on 6/27/2014A GREAT RESTAURANT TO GET A BETTER THAN GOOD MEAL. THE STAFF WAS REALLY GREAT . THE WINE WAS EXCELLENT AND WOW THAT BUFFALO CHEESE !!! PERFECT FOR A MEAL OUT WITH FRIENDS.Special Features:
- Continues to Serve Great FoodJimAndBobVIPDined on 6/21/2014The staff has turned over considerably since we first ate here a few years ago. And yet the experience is still much the same: really great food in a relaxed, friendly LES atmosphere. All the sauces, especially the ragus and Bolognese are rich and deeply flavorful. Take a look at the big stew pots behind the bar, and you'll understand why. The garlic bread is like no other. The burrata is worth whatever it's doing to your cholesterol. The staff is great: laid-back, friendly, attentive. We'll definitely be back often.Special Features:
- Great foodRuthVIPDined on 6/19/2014I love the menu here. It's so eclectic. Lots of choices for carnivores and vegetarians. Food is prepared simply and deliciously. Good price point.Special Features:
- Great Dinner with the FamilyLESDinerDined on 6/13/2014Steak Pizzaoli was great. Steak had a singed crispy crust and tender medium rare interior, covered in a flavorful marinara sauce. Started with the burrata and garlic bread accompanied by a bottle of Barbera. Although the waiters were young and hip, and a bit aloof, our waitress was very attentive and met all of our needs.Special Features:
- noise levelKriegsVIPDined on 6/7/2014Ridiculous noise level-deafening! In warm weather you can sit outside which would be my recomendation
- About AverageDmanDined on 6/6/2014Food was good and prices were reasonable for NYC. The restaurant however was worn down and serving stations were right next to tables. The background music was not suited for a relaxing dinner and conversation and didn't seem to match the setting.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find in the areambd3VIPDined on 6/1/2014While the decor is funky but not really anything to write home about, the food was really good. Not worth a trip just on its own but great if you're in that part of town.Special Features:
- Average at bestab230Dined on 6/1/2014The food and service was average at best. Waitress had real attitude. Will never eat their again
- greatFISHDined on 5/31/2014plainly put the food is great. simple, delicious american-italian cuisine. Rose was my server and even though she looked to be handling more tables than any one person should be asked to she maintained a great attitude and couldn't have been more enjoyable to deal with. Not my first time at this restaurant and certainly not my last.Special Features:
- great servicerestaurantgroupieVIPDined on 5/28/2014As a fan of Frank's restaurants, I love this casual LES gem. drinks and food are excellent, not to mention very reasonable in price, considering the quality. This place feels like home, with its warm wood interiors and kitschy grandma's house upholstery. All the food - pastas, grass fed beef, braised pork, veggie salads and sides (zucchini matchsticks = crack) - are excellent . Service is unpretentious, helpful and hospitable like being at a close buddy's place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 95 reviews are from the Sauce reviews archive.
- EhhsnassocVIPDined on 5/20/2014Nothing special and think over-hyped for what it is. While maybe a hot spot, food certaily was just ordinary and for what it was in my view overpriced. Can do far better at other places. Our special vegetarian pasta dish was way too highly peppered. Red sauce was decent but nothing to write home about. Pasta was so-so as well.