131 Gough St
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saucesf.com/
- Phone: 4152521369
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly from 5pm – 12:00am and we mean it. You’ll never get the evil eye from us, even if you walk in at 12.01, we’re open, and you are welcome to dine with us.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Ben Paula
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Food and Beverage Catering available for parties of any size. We will work with any budget to ensure the best event, from a wedding with staff to a cooler full of treats for a ball game, every occasion deserves great food! Want to go to the next step? Chef Ben Paula offers live ice carving for private or corporate events.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Supper Club (with private bar)accommodates up to 40 seated diners, or 60+ for cocktails and passed appetizers. The entire restaurant can be reserved for larger groups of up to 130. Special menus and more than 20 options for passed appetizers mean we can create a custom event just for you.
- Private Party Contact: Trip Hosley 4152521423
- Cross Street: Oak and Page
- Public Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking, with both lots and garages in the neighborhood, parking is always available.
A word from Sauce: Gough
At Sauce: Gough we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with some drinks in the intimate Supper Club; cozy up to the beautiful redwood bar for a signature cocktail; or, enjoy a meal in the bustling main dining room. Experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy. Located just a few blocks from the civic center in Hayes Valley, Sauce: Gough is the welcoming result of three partners' desire to create a comfortable spot for drinking and dining. Pre-Show, post-show and for all your private events Sauce is the place. Stop by for dinner any night between 5pm and Midnight and see for yourself; what’s cookingContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sauce: Gough reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (81)fit for foodies (74)good for groups (30)special occasion (29)late-night find (29)romantic (23)vibrant bar scene (17)notable wine list (17)hot spot (12)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Some dishes take longer than othersOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014The service was prompt taking our orders and bringing our appetizers, but we waited more than 30 minutes after finishing our appetizers before the entrees were brought. When we pointed out to the server that we had been waiting and diners at other tables, who were seated after us, were receiving their entrees, the server, instead of apologizing for the delay, said some dishes take longer than others.Special Features:
- Perfect for pre OperaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014I have been in before, and it seemed even better than I remembered. I was with a "foody" and she was also very favorably impressed (all aspects: server was great and knowlegable, food is still fantastic, and our drinks were supreme!)Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014I needed to find a restaurant near the theatre which was open late for dinner and found Sauce here on Open Table. What a pleasant surprise! The environment was so incredibly comfortable, the service was great and the food was delicious. We opted to just keep ordering from the small plates menu and share and loved everything we tried! They also have a great list of cocktails. We arrived about 10:15 and before we knew it we looked at our watches and it was after midnight. Great place! I will definitely be back! PS - we ordered the "Eggs and Bacon" which were deviled eggs with bacon on top (OMG good), mini chicken pot pies, mini meatloaf on mashed potato, shrimp artichoke wonton and ham hoc tater tots. Liked the won ton, loved the rest!Special Features:
- Friendly and unpretentiousViennesetastebudsDined on 10/13/2014A comfortable setting for well prepared comfort food. The Veggie Strudel is outstanding, the sauce a little heavy but still very tasty. The Mac and Cheese delicious and filling. Overall a very nice and inexpensive (by SF standards) dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Conveniently LocatedoperanutDined on 10/10/2014I chose this restaurant because of its proximity to the Opera House (within walking distance). The food was very good, and I would enjoy returning during another visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i dont know how this gem escaped usdeannaVIPDined on 10/4/2014Delicious food and great menu.Oslo Buick and short rib Stroganof was simply yummy.pjb desert was a perfect ending to share.can't wait to get brussels sprouts salad but this time im not sharing but were each getting one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/1/2014I really like the food here. The service can be a bit slow considering there were only 2-3 tables of people eating.Special Features:
- Don't Miss That SaladRamblerVIPDined on 9/30/2014I find Sauce to be reliable and pleasant with its fresh take on classic comfort food--such as mac & cheese and meatloaf. My favorite item on the menu is the heirloom tomato and corn salad.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/26/2014great service, friendly staff, delicious food, nice ambiance/atmosphereSpecial Features:
- curleyDined on 9/23/2014Upon arrival, they tried to sit us near the Kitchen. We requested a seat near the front window and it was granted willingly. The service was excellant. We each started with a glass of Pinot greis and then each ordered half of a filled iceberg lettuce salad. The bacon was prepared fresh. We then shared a salmon maine course which was served over a shredded lettuce (warm from the salmon) with bacon. We should have requested a differant accompiant. The dessert (flowerless choclate cake) was great and the coffee was served just the way we like it'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Visit YetGeeleeceeVIPDined on 9/20/2014We've been to Sauce many many times - good food, easy walk to Symphony, kids like it ...this was the best trip yet -- food was particularly good, service was fantastic (usually ok) and the vibe was really upbeat and positive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/19/2014Heirloom tomatoes had been chilled. Cold kills tomato flavor. Food in general lacked flavor.
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/17/2014I've only been here 3 times but each time the meal has been wonderful from start to finish. Highly recommend.
- UndecidedExRestaurantOwnerDined on 9/16/2014This was our first time at Sauce. We were having dinner before the theater. Had a reservation for 6pm. Arrived a few minutes early and were seated immediately. There were no other guests in the restaurant. This is were I start to question their service. It was over 10 minutes before our waitress came to the table. After the poor start, her service for the rest of the night was good. We chose to order a salad and several plates to share. The Mini Meatloaf was great, as was the Sausage Cheese Bread, but the Bacon and Eggs left me wondering what was so special about it. It was you normal Deviled Egg, with a piece of Bacon on top. The Deviled egg mixture was very plain. I will give them another try and hope it turns out better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sauce still goodOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 9/13/2014Sauce is still good but a bit pricier. Convenient to the Symphony/Opera, pleasant decor, good food. Altogether an A minus.Special Features:
- Before Theatre DiningLuvtoeatDined on 9/10/2014We absolutely loved this place! The service was exceptional and the food faultless. The portions are very large so we order the social plates and shared the sloppy joe sliders (4) topped with delicately fried onions, the shrimp and artichoke bottom wontons and the wedge (misnamed because it is actually a whole head of lettuce, scooped out and filled with yummy blue cheese, red onions and cherry tomatoes. Then we shared the s'mores and they were over the top—two lava cakes topped with caramelized marshmallows and toasted until they were gooey good. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service suckedCarrieDined on 9/10/2014We arrived at about 530, with reservations at 6:15. The thought was to have a drink at the bar. We sat for 10 minutes being ignored by the bartender. No one else was at the bar. A man came in after us, sat down, and was served immediately. Another server came in and made drinks for someone at one of her tables. She blatantly ignored the four of us. The bartender came back, cleaned glasses, and ignored us for probably 5 to 7 minutes more until I asked if we could have a drink. He was quite cordial, and proceeded to make us drinks. Food service was the same. Great food, horrible service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in every way!VissidarteVIPDined on 9/8/2014Our first experience was good: food, wine and gracious server! A very loud group of about 20 people spoiled our experience 4 hours! They cleared out & we appreciated the true character! It's pricey but worthwhile!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastybillbobDined on 9/6/2014went at 5 to make the opera and had a really fine meal at a somewhat ungodly hour. filled up but noise level was still decent and the service quite adequate but not exceptional. dishes were well done, with some flair but not made a fuss over. would go back for sure. book ahead to be safe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SauceReggieDined on 8/29/2014Sauce was wonderful. The staff was great and we had a great bartender.Special Features:
- Sauce for the saucythesmendrinDined on 8/23/2014Sauce is a great bacon lovers delight. The food and service are great and the ambiance is lovely. The only suggestion is that it does run a little warm inside the resturaunt, so dress lightly for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RingLeader1VIPDined on 8/22/2014It had been some time since we dined here, and this time we were a party of five, everyone really enjoyed the meal, we had the mac and cheese, peppered bacon, the tater tots, and several main dishes including the vegetarian option and all were good. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Not the most amazing but good comfort food items. Sizeable portions, good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Oh hi. Great food. Liberal use of delicious fats and great ingredients. Good location. We had the poutine, Wellington, and pork tenderloin something...all delicious! Going back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, comfortable, relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/16/2014Once a month, we have dinner with another couple, and make it a point to try nearby restaurants. This was an instant fave. "Contemporary comfort food" is a perfect description. Delicious, unpretentious, great staff, good wine.Special Features:
- Was one of my favorites.ColevmanDined on 8/15/2014I brought a bunch of foodies to Sauce on Friday night. First, I was surprised that it was so easy to get a reservation at the last minute. When we walked in a 7:45, the place was empty and the restaurant looked dated. The food was disappointing. We shared food and non of it stood out. I picked the restaurant yet I hadn't been for over a year. Sauce has not kept up with the times and was mediocre at best.
- Sauce:Gough was outstandingSusanHDined on 8/12/2014We had a group of 8 & we all loved it! The food was really yummy, especially the Brussel Sprouts Leaves (even if you don't normally like brussel sprouts, you'll love this salad), the Hamhock Tater Tots & the Mini Crab Cakes. For entrees, we ordered the Braised Beef Short Rib Wellington, the Peppered Hanger Steak & the Vegetarian Strudel to share among a few of us, which the warm, friendly staff encourages & accommodates so everyone can try a little bit of everything . All were absolutely fabulous! For dessert, we ordered a sampler plate for the table & were not disappointed! Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boo415Dined on 8/10/2014My husband I have been celebrating special occasions at Sauce for 5 years. We love that the menu changes but sto have some of our favorites on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food..YossieDined on 8/7/2014Dinner with a friend I haven't seen in a year - she picked the location - but I'd already heard of it from other friends - word of good places gets around. We had a number of appetizers / to-share plates for dinner - they were all well presented and tended to have full flavors reflecting the ingredients. Crab Cakes, Horseradish Battered Shrimp (could'a used more Horseradish :), a fabulous Mac&Cheese, and a few others. All tasty. Service was unobtrusive and, for a change (and unlike many other restaurants), we did not feel rushed to leave after eating - giving us time to chat and reconnect. Sauce is an eating establishment I will be returning to.Special Features:
- Fun experienceoaklandemDined on 8/2/2014Good wine list. Beef wellington was delicious! Server was nice, but not super attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Food in Hayes ValleyBARTdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Best 'comfort' food in Hayes Valley at reasonable prices with excellent service that facilitates sharing...don't miss the heirloom tomato and sweet corn salad when in season!Special Features:
- Perfect Pre-Symphony Dinner SpotNoeOliveOilDined on 7/30/2014I wanted to find a new place walking distance to the Davies Music Hall. Intimate dining room with white linen table cloths. Our server was fun, enthusiastic and responsive. He recommended a nice Syrah, Eight Legs, which was fabulous. We randomly saw friends dining there and had fun sending different dishes back and forth - our server was great doing that for us. Food was delicious, especially the portebello mushroom bique and mac n cheese. Lots of fried options (more than we usually eat) so ordered the brussel sprout salad for some green on our table and looked more delicious than it actually tasted. Our friends had sent some bacon over and that helped flavor it up. Overall had a great experience and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sauce was great!mBSFDined on 7/25/2014Met up with a friend who brought along another friend, I only had a reservation for 2, but sauce fixed us up. Tater tots were great and loved my mule. Salmon was delicious. Hanger steak divine. Chicken pram could feed two and the pappardelle noodles were scrumptious. Go here! Now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-show dinnerLoloDined on 7/24/2014Server asked about our showtime. Good menu of well prepared food with fresh ingredients. My vegetarian husband was very happy with a well thought out and delicious vegetarian entree. Overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Our party of 3 decided on this gem for a little pre-show dinner. It is walking distance from the Davies Symphony Hall. We shared quite a few small plates as we like to try as much of the menu as we can. Favorites: Shrimp & Artichoke Wontons, Crab Cakes, Horseradish Crusted Shrimp. The dipping sauces that accompanied these dishes were wonderful as well! We had the cinnamon donuts and s'more bites for dessert. What a treat! Do not skip this - no matter how full you are! Our waitress was a delight. She was very helpful with the menu. She knew exactly how many pieces came with each dish and even said she would throw in an extra for the 2-item dishes just so we could all have a taste. The bar menu is HUGE! Great selections.Special Features:
- Always AwesomeJimC23Dined on 7/19/2014I have been going to Sauce 3 or 4 times a year for the past three years and I am always impressed with food and the friendly staff. A fun restaurant in a funky neighborhood. The perfect spot to dine before a concert or play.Special Features:
- Good pre-concertVonEbnerDined on 7/19/2014Solid menu, excellent presentation of food, nice flavors, very good wine by the glass. Efficient, out in time for the concert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Sauce had solid, tasty food & our waitress was great! Overall, the appetizer was delicious, but the tiny amount you get (4 super small pieces, not what I envisioned when I read "sausage cheese bread") didn't seem worth the $10.50. Their drinks were steep, which is typical of SF, but when my boyfriend's drink came out, I wanted to laugh. It was tiny for $10/$11. There couldn't have even been a shot of alcohol in there! The main dishes (osso bucco & chicken parm) were both tasty & well portioned. I do think that there are other places in SF that I'd rather pay $25 a plate at though. Mainly because others would have unique offerings, a more memorable atmosphere, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyelephantDined on 7/17/2014Delicious comfort-oriented creative options. A bit dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Sauce always has an interesting assortment of small plates which are fun to share. We also enjoyed the creative desert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.