131 Gough St
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Civic Center / Hayes Valley / Van Ness
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saucesf.com/
- Phone: 4152521369
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly from 5pm – 12:00am and we mean it. You’ll never get the evil eye from us, even if you walk in at 12.01, we’re open, and you are welcome to dine with us.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Ben Paula
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Full Food and Beverage Catering available for parties of any size. We will work with any budget to ensure the best event, from a wedding with staff to a cooler full of treats for a ball game, every occasion deserves great food! Want to go to the next step? Chef Ben Paula offers live ice carving for private or corporate events.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Supper Club (with private bar)accommodates up to 40 seated diners, or 60+ for cocktails and passed appetizers. The entire restaurant can be reserved for larger groups of up to 130. Special menus and more than 20 options for passed appetizers mean we can create a custom event just for you.
- Private Party Contact: Trip Hosley 4152521423
- Cross Street: Oak and Page
- Public Transit: BART: Civic Center station; Muni Metro: Van Ness; Muni Market Street Trolley 'F' Line: Gough St.; Muni Bus Stop: 6,7,66,71
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking, with both lots and garages in the neighborhood, parking is always available.
A word from Sauce: Gough
At Sauce: Gough we serve what we like to call "Social Cuisine" - American comfort fare so good you'll want everyone at the table to try a bite. It's shared food without the tiny plates. Come sample Chef Ben's creations along with some drinks in the intimate Supper Club; cozy up to the beautiful redwood bar for a signature cocktail; or, enjoy a meal in the bustling main dining room. Experience what happens when Comfort Food meets California Cuisine — it could be our Tomato Bisque with white truffle grilled cheese sticks; Portobello mushroom fries; or our signature applewood-smoked-bacon wrapped meatloaf, something is sure to tickle your fancy. Located just a few blocks from the civic center in Hayes Valley, Sauce: Gough is the welcoming result of three partners' desire to create a comfortable spot for drinking and dining. Pre-Show, post-show and for all your private events Sauce is the place. Stop by for dinner any night between 5pm and Midnight and see for yourself; what’s cookingContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sauce: Gough reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (86)fit for foodies (80)special occasion (36)good for groups (34)late-night find (25)romantic (22)notable wine list (19)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (9)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Sauce for the saucythesmendrinDined on 8/23/2014Sauce is a great bacon lovers delight. The food and service are great and the ambiance is lovely. The only suggestion is that it does run a little warm inside the resturaunt, so dress lightly for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RingLeader1VIPDined on 8/22/2014It had been some time since we dined here, and this time we were a party of five, everyone really enjoyed the meal, we had the mac and cheese, peppered bacon, the tater tots, and several main dishes including the vegetarian option and all were good. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent comfort foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/22/2014Not the most amazing but good comfort food items. Sizeable portions, good service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty townOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Oh hi. Great food. Liberal use of delicious fats and great ingredients. Good location. We had the poutine, Wellington, and pork tenderloin something...all delicious! Going back some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty, comfortable, relaxedOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 8/16/2014Once a month, we have dinner with another couple, and make it a point to try nearby restaurants. This was an instant fave. "Contemporary comfort food" is a perfect description. Delicious, unpretentious, great staff, good wine.Special Features:
- Was one of my favorites.ColevmanDined on 8/15/2014I brought a bunch of foodies to Sauce on Friday night. First, I was surprised that it was so easy to get a reservation at the last minute. When we walked in a 7:45, the place was empty and the restaurant looked dated. The food was disappointing. We shared food and non of it stood out. I picked the restaurant yet I hadn't been for over a year. Sauce has not kept up with the times and was mediocre at best.
- Sauce:Gough was outstandingSusanHDined on 8/12/2014We had a group of 8 & we all loved it! The food was really yummy, especially the Brussel Sprouts Leaves (even if you don't normally like brussel sprouts, you'll love this salad), the Hamhock Tater Tots & the Mini Crab Cakes. For entrees, we ordered the Braised Beef Short Rib Wellington, the Peppered Hanger Steak & the Vegetarian Strudel to share among a few of us, which the warm, friendly staff encourages & accommodates so everyone can try a little bit of everything . All were absolutely fabulous! For dessert, we ordered a sampler plate for the table & were not disappointed! Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Boo415Dined on 8/10/2014My husband I have been celebrating special occasions at Sauce for 5 years. We love that the menu changes but sto have some of our favorites on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food..YossieDined on 8/7/2014Dinner with a friend I haven't seen in a year - she picked the location - but I'd already heard of it from other friends - word of good places gets around. We had a number of appetizers / to-share plates for dinner - they were all well presented and tended to have full flavors reflecting the ingredients. Crab Cakes, Horseradish Battered Shrimp (could'a used more Horseradish :), a fabulous Mac&Cheese, and a few others. All tasty. Service was unobtrusive and, for a change (and unlike many other restaurants), we did not feel rushed to leave after eating - giving us time to chat and reconnect. Sauce is an eating establishment I will be returning to.Special Features:
- Fun experienceoaklandemDined on 8/2/2014Good wine list. Beef wellington was delicious! Server was nice, but not super attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort Food in Hayes ValleyBARTdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014Best 'comfort' food in Hayes Valley at reasonable prices with excellent service that facilitates sharing...don't miss the heirloom tomato and sweet corn salad when in season!Special Features:
- Perfect Pre-Symphony Dinner SpotNoeOliveOilDined on 7/30/2014I wanted to find a new place walking distance to the Davies Music Hall. Intimate dining room with white linen table cloths. Our server was fun, enthusiastic and responsive. He recommended a nice Syrah, Eight Legs, which was fabulous. We randomly saw friends dining there and had fun sending different dishes back and forth - our server was great doing that for us. Food was delicious, especially the portebello mushroom bique and mac n cheese. Lots of fried options (more than we usually eat) so ordered the brussel sprout salad for some green on our table and looked more delicious than it actually tasted. Our friends had sent some bacon over and that helped flavor it up. Overall had a great experience and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sauce was great!mBSFDined on 7/25/2014Met up with a friend who brought along another friend, I only had a reservation for 2, but sauce fixed us up. Tater tots were great and loved my mule. Salmon was delicious. Hanger steak divine. Chicken pram could feed two and the pappardelle noodles were scrumptious. Go here! Now!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice pre-show dinnerLoloDined on 7/24/2014Server asked about our showtime. Good menu of well prepared food with fresh ingredients. My vegetarian husband was very happy with a well thought out and delicious vegetarian entree. Overall a very nice dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/20/2014Our party of 3 decided on this gem for a little pre-show dinner. It is walking distance from the Davies Symphony Hall. We shared quite a few small plates as we like to try as much of the menu as we can. Favorites: Shrimp & Artichoke Wontons, Crab Cakes, Horseradish Crusted Shrimp. The dipping sauces that accompanied these dishes were wonderful as well! We had the cinnamon donuts and s'more bites for dessert. What a treat! Do not skip this - no matter how full you are! Our waitress was a delight. She was very helpful with the menu. She knew exactly how many pieces came with each dish and even said she would throw in an extra for the 2-item dishes just so we could all have a taste. The bar menu is HUGE! Great selections.Special Features:
- Always AwesomeJimC23Dined on 7/19/2014I have been going to Sauce 3 or 4 times a year for the past three years and I am always impressed with food and the friendly staff. A fun restaurant in a funky neighborhood. The perfect spot to dine before a concert or play.Special Features:
- Good pre-concertOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/19/2014Solid menu, excellent presentation of food, nice flavors, very good wine by the glass. Efficient, out in time for the concert.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Sauce had solid, tasty food & our waitress was great! Overall, the appetizer was delicious, but the tiny amount you get (4 super small pieces, not what I envisioned when I read "sausage cheese bread") didn't seem worth the $10.50. Their drinks were steep, which is typical of SF, but when my boyfriend's drink came out, I wanted to laugh. It was tiny for $10/$11. There couldn't have even been a shot of alcohol in there! The main dishes (osso bucco & chicken parm) were both tasty & well portioned. I do think that there are other places in SF that I'd rather pay $25 a plate at though. Mainly because others would have unique offerings, a more memorable atmosphere, etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyelephantDined on 7/17/2014Delicious comfort-oriented creative options. A bit dark.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Small PlatesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/17/2014Sauce always has an interesting assortment of small plates which are fun to share. We also enjoyed the creative desert menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomesriedlDined on 7/12/2014The food, and service were great. We brought a group of 17 and everybody loved everything. The drinks were fantastic, appetizers were delicious, and our meals were wonderful. I can's say enough good things about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LEGITLorenzy34Dined on 7/12/2014Good Drinks, strong and tasty. Good Food, healthy portions and unique style. Good Service, friendly and helpful staff. This is not a rushy rushy dinner out. Take your time and enjoy!Special Features:
- Cute idea becomes seriously goodJudyVIPDined on 7/12/2014We went to Sauce years ago & thought the Mac & Cheese and Pb&j cute. Now the food has moved with the times and dauces are interesting & yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- annifredDined on 7/12/2014Good food, cocktails ok (not brilliant), reasonable prices, perfect sized menu - nice assortment of choices without being overwhelming. Hope to make it back late one night to check out the desserts. Great place to eat before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SauceterryDined on 7/11/2014Great food,good staff, fun place to be easy to get parkingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wildly yummy foodReneeVIPDined on 7/9/2014My husband and I ate here for the first time after seeing the movie Le Chef, and the food couldn't have been mire creative and delicious! The service was impeccable and the noise level gave us the opportunity to speak without shouting. The only disappointing thing was that the interior looks like it needs a bit of refreshing. When we walked through the front door, the carpet looked a bit worn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forget getting to a concert on timeTimboDined on 7/5/2014We had 6pm reservation, advised waitress needed to be out if there NLT 715 ( said shouldn't be a problem) at 715 we were done - Asked for the bill - waited & waited, finally got it at 730- we missed the first part of the symphony ( which has never happened before! The artichoke /shrimp spring roll was excellent- the Osso Bucco was dry, tough and tasted like it had been cooked 4 hrs earlier, Just re-heated !
- CeleryDined on 7/3/2014The food was hit and miss, for 4 out of the 5 diners. Definitely nothing to write raves about. Cocktails were priced well and fine to drink. The service...well...good... until we didn't get our food till 10 minutes before we were to leave for the Symphony (we made clear from the outset we had Symphony tickets), and after continually asking wait staff to check on our order. Nothing we ordered was complicated and it was really frustrating to sit until the last minute to scarf down our dinners and rush out. Doubt we'll be back anytime soon.
- Not bad, not greatGiveMeSpecialDined on 7/3/2014Four of us went for a pre-concert dinner and while the food was OK, it may have been a lot tastier had it been hot--heck, I'd even take warm. We ordered one entrée each, foregoing the appetizers, even though we were there 2 hours before we were to leave; good thing too as the entrées took a long time to arrive after ordering. When they did, mine was barely warm, the sauce had started to congeal and the creamed kale was a bit gummy. The dough on the short rib Wellington was soggy and the meat chewy. My companions seemed to enjoy their choices; I didn't ask as I didn't want to go into details about mine and put a damper on the evening. In short, it may be good but the service needs to pay attention to when dishes are ready to serve and do itSpecial Features:
- Great before a concert at DaviesriproarinDined on 7/3/2014We were a group of 6 having an early dinner before a 7:30 concert at Davies, which is a short walk from the restaurant. We decided to make our dinner out of many shared plates of appetizers. Everyone felt like it was enough food, without feeling overstuffed. Every dish was delicious. We tried the crab cakes, portabello fries, ham hock tater tots, deviled eggs, wontons, and more. Everyone seemed to like all the dishes. I would definitely return, and would recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-concert delightOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014Our party of four enjoyed numerous appetizers and split a vegetarian strudel before we headed out to the symphony. The "social plates" were ideal for adventures in taste and texture. We shared three desserts - all delicious. Service seemed to be having an off night; it was slightly slower and less accurate than we usually enjoy at Sauce. Mostly there was a long delay between ordering and receiving cocktails. One of our party received a drink not as ordered and the "fix" didn't correct very well. Sauce still remains one of our favorite spots, and the very slight service blip won't keep us from returning very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SauceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014We enjoyed Sauce very much. We hadn't been there in a while and it was fun rediscovering it . The wait staff was very cordial and aimed to please. I enjoyed the unusual brussels sprout leaves salad, nicely dressed and sprinkled with bacon. My dinner companion enjoyed the dinner of ribs in a puff pastry with vegetables and potatoes. I also had a glass of prosecco which went well with my meal. We saw other diners enjoying various dishes which looked appealing as well. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great potentialdebbieVIPDined on 7/2/2014Lots good about this spot- location, decor, bar, and friendly server; that being said… The kitchen seems a step behind . We ordered a few small plates- none memorable and I ordered the brussel sprout leaf salad and so did my friend. it took a long time for mine to come out and my friend's took forever- like 25 minutes beyond mine. The server did give us some fried chicken sliders- as a comp, which was nice of her. They weren't very good- When my friend's salad did come server said they'd run out (it was only 6:45) Anyway, we were going to the symphony and so this Hayes Valley restaurant was convenient- but not crowded- now we know why.
- Great food! Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014We stayed in Sleep Over Sauce this weekend for Pride. Went down to the restaurant for dinner during our first night. We were really impressed with the service. Our server was attentive without being annoying and she was knowledgeable about food and wine pairings, and recommended great cocktails. The food was delicious and the presentation was charming without being pretentious. The bartender that night was just awesome too. When asked for direction when we were headed out, he actually left the bar stepped outside and pointed the way. These little acts make big impressions. Anyway, it was a positive experience. We definitely recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable comfort foodfoodforthoughtVIPDined on 6/27/2014Reliable comfort food, menu does not change much. The dining room was uncomfortably warm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sauce is great before OperaquietdiningVIPDined on 6/26/2014I made a reservation for pre-opera dining late and Sauce was one of the few restaurants available. It turned out to be perfect for what we wanted. When I'm dining at 5:30, I don't really want a full dinner. At Sauce, I was able to have a delicious tomato bisque soup, which came with wonderful cheese bread and crab cakes. I tasted one of the wontons which my friend ordered and it was great, too. It is not a frou-frou restaurant, nor is it elegant. However, it was perfect for what we wanted: a light dinner dinner before the opera. The service was good and not obtrusive. We had a leisurely dinner and got out in plenty of time. We were running late, but no problem. We just came in 15 minutes later. None of the categories describe it.Special Features:
- fantastic findCC33Dined on 6/23/2014We had a great meal at Sauce, and I will recommend it to anyone I know who is going to San Francisco. The food was fantastic, and I wish I could remember our waitresses name because she deserves recognition. We tried many sharable items, and loved going that route as we all got to try a number of great selections. Nothing was a disappointment. Great service, and an excellent visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectlenehDined on 6/20/2014This is a perfect little quiet place for dinner down around the bustling Performing Arts section of town. Menu interesting and food delicious .Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/17/2014The food was amazing, it was a comfortable environment, and our server was great. The only complaint was that we had a 7:15 reservation, but weren't seated until after 7:30 (it wasn't busy).Special Features:
- Good Food, ButTravelerDined on 6/14/2014I had a pre-show evening meal at Sauce. I ordered Mushroom Bisque and Seared Salmon. The food was good, but unfortunately,something I ate did not agree with my stomach. I spent an uncomfortable night.Special Features: