1707 Delaware Ave
Wilmington, DE 19806Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.satsumakitchen.com/
- Phone: 3026563015x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 1:00am - Saturday 11:00am-1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Asian, Fusion / Eclectic, Asian
- Executive Chef: Michael DiBianca
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout
- Catering: We are available to make sushi at your location for all size parties as well as offer a full Asian menu.
- Entertainment: There is live Music on the patio 3-4 nights a week. Call for more information.
A word from Satsuma
Located in Trolley Square, 2-time Nominated James Beard Chef owner Michael DiBianca brings you his second restaurant, Satsuma. Inside, the downstairs features an eat-at sushi bar and high-top bar tables with exposed brick, cork floors and a very "industrial chic" look. Upstairs is more geared toward sit down dining, with booths and a roof top deck. The outside patio offers a full bar as well as dining. We offer late night dining until 12:30am Tuesday-Sunday. The patio will feature live music 3-4 nights a week as well.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Satsuma reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (7)fit for foodies (6)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)good for groups (2)great for lunch (2)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great FoodLeonDined on 8/15/2014We had a great evening sitting on the second floor outside deck, the food was great and the specials where very good. Bar prices where very reasonable. The menu has changed and the new dishes where excel. We will definitely return in the near future to try some off the other dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a hit!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014We have dined here on several occasions and it is always a hit. Outside dining is challenge when the trains go by, but it adds to the ambiance. :) The wait staff is always right on target with their recommendations. Don't miss the ducky fries. Yummm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expected morechickVIPDined on 7/17/2014Food was good, nothing special. Drinks were very good as well as the service. Place was empty but surrounding restaurants were packed.Special Features:
- The following 71 reviews are from the Satsuma reviews archive.
- Love it!TrolleySquarerDined on 6/12/2014Satsuma never disappoints. Food was incredible, as always. Service great. Only problem was a noisy table near us- establishment made it very easy for us to move to a quieter spot. Best Crab Rangoon ever!!!!Special Features:
- Be ready to eatNoservicennofoodVIPDined on 6/6/2014...if you order small plates, be ready for them to come out back to back. I've never seen faster service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the experienceSherirozDined on 6/5/2014We were lucky enough to sit outside on a perfect evening. Seth was our server and he made our dining experience really great. Unfortunately we weren't crazy about the sushi we ordered, but loved the tacos and crab Rangoon. This was our first visit to Satsumi, we'll be back to give it another trySpecial Features:
- A pleasant surprise!msmdp2uVIPDined on 5/31/2014Thanks to Groupon, this was a terrific find! Excellent food, reasonably priced wine, versatile seating options, and a unique menu. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visit, still just ok.LaurieVIPDined on 5/31/2014We were looking for an outdoor dining spot and discovered that Satsuma has too options: a courtyard seating area and the rooftop, where we were seated. It is funky-picturesque with train tracks and grasses in the foreground, rooftops beyond. The service was so prompt that we were sure a sunny Saturday evening influenced it, but we didn't feel rushed because the waiter was very nice. We orderd edamame and various seafood rolls, all of which were fine, not exceptional. There are so many really good Asian fusion restaurants in the greater Philadelphia area that we wil probably not rush back to Satsuma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!goirish78Dined on 5/31/2014We have been to Satsuma Asian Kitchen several times and have finally found our go-to Asian fusion restaurant in our own backyard. From the out of this world Korean meatballs that we order for an appetizer, to the fresh, inventive sushi rolls (the Cali bacon and Treasure rolls are favorites) and the entree dishes, everything is made to order, top notch, and served promptly. The staff is friendly and solicitous, and the drinks (like everything else on the menu) are delicious and a great deal (fresh mango mojito for $8? Yes, please!!). The atmosphere is upscale urban whimsy without coming off as too snobbish or hipster. You could easily take a date here or have a relaxed dinner with friends or folks. We look forward to many more happy dinnersSpecial Features:
- Unique SushiDrRonDined on 5/30/2014Very innovative sushi menu with other gourmet offerings as small plates and "street food". The duck duck disco fries were amazing. Sushi was very high quality. Ate on the rooftop patio - fantastic! The service was very friendly and efficient. Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great meal!CoolirishchicDined on 5/29/2014Unique menu options, delicious! Highly recommend for adventurous palettes (wouldn't bring my kids, as they are not as adventurous!). Great place to come with friends, generous plates for sharing.Special Features:
- Great for friends and casual drinksKwitVIPDined on 5/21/2014This is a great little place. Easy to sit, drink, share small plates or interesting Asian/spicy food. Our favorite was the pulled pork tacos and spicy sushi rolls.Special Features:
- SPECIAL!FoodieDined on 5/20/2014We had dinner on the roof-top! It was a perfect evening for our party of four. It is very difficult to choose just one or two 'small plates' and/or rolls, etc....the food is exceptional. We all ordered our own small plate, and shared, then we had a couple of 'rolls'.....the crunchy shrimp roll is my personal favorite! I had the Salmon special. WOW! It came with a mango-rice that was absolutely delicious. I can't say enough about that meal! The service was perfect, as always! We are repeat customers at Satsuma, and we are never disappointed. They serve lunch now too!!!! A great lunch menu!Special Features:
- Great New VenueRatherBeMountainBikingVIPDined on 5/16/2014Really have enjoyed Satsuma. I've gone there three times and all three were great. Everything was fresh and the menu was very interesting. I do want to warn vegetarians that the menu might be limited. For those with more diverse tastes, no problem. Wines by the glass could be more interesting, but prices were good.Special Features:
- Interesting take on Asian foodPurplebubbieVIPDined on 5/14/2014Asian fusion- fried chicken sushi? It was rathe good. Lots of small plates. sushi and appetizers. We enjoyed our food and Wednesday is 1/2 price wine bottle night. Charming interior with a roof top deck and other outdoor seating,Special Features:
- Fast serviceCaitcaitDined on 5/10/2014I went to satsuma a couple months ago and we waited approx. 30-45 mins for our food, which was fine. I went ago this past weekend and our service was so fast! We ordered 3 sushi and 1 order of the Philly egg rolls, 2 Maryland (must get)and 1 fried chicken. We arrived at 6:45pm and were out and in the car at 7:11pm. Talk about fast service! The only thing that I would nit pick on would be the fact that the menu is small and there isn't enough description for each item. Other than that, great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experiencedelawaredinerDined on 5/2/2014Excellent food. Creative menu. Friendly, fun service. Relaxed, vibrant atmosphere on 1st floor. They could do just a litte more upstairs to make the environment a bit more trendy to match the rest (lighting is a little off), but overall this establishment is a fun, tasty night out.
- so so....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/23/2014Rolls were nothing special. Edemamae came out cold. Noting special. Location sells this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic asianwintergemsDined on 4/19/2014My husband has a sesame oil allergy so we were limited on what to order, but what we did have was very tasty. The server was polite and speedy. The food was definitely not typical americana-sushi; the small plate options and unique sushi rolls were a nice change. Overall, its a good place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightMareDined on 4/15/2014The atmosphere was great, the food was amazing and overall just a great place to check out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Asian BistroScottyDined on 4/9/2014Good food and service although for some reason it took a long time to get our drinks (2 of us) as it was not very crowded. We sat upstairs and although not full we you could hear everyone's conversation. The booth we sat in was not well supported as the people in the booth behind us kept moving around and kept shaking the back or our seat that was annoying. The food was great, particularly the duck tacos that were 3 stuffed full in deliciously crunchy shells. The chocolate peanut butter stack for dessert was absolutely delicious and big and rich to share. We will definitely go back to try their many varied menu items. When their upstairs deck opens that should be very nice.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceErind11Dined on 4/9/2014The food and service was excellent. We sat in the bar area which was nice. As the weather gets nicer I will be sure to go back and sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent night outCp19711Dined on 4/5/2014Had dinner with a group and we each ended up selecting two items that we all shared. Food was excellent - favorite items were the raw salmon with grapefruit, brussel sprouts, and pork tacos. Healthy wine pours, interesting mixed drinks, and good beer selection too. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great menu and service but food okBSBONODined on 4/4/2014Everything was good on paper and service was excellent but food was flat. Duck fries were the highlight but flavors and textures of sushi were lacking. Flash seared tuna really lacked any interesting flavor. They did nice job with ad hoc kid plates since there was not a dedicated kids menu. Would probably still go back if nothing else to try the many interesting sounding menu items we didn't get to and sit on deck during nice summer evening.
- Pleasant surpriseMandMVIPDined on 3/15/2014Excellent food at reasonable prices. Ordered duff duck disco fries, crab Rangoon ,and chicken wings. All were small plates , freshly prepared and tasty. Plenty for two. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Willing to accommodatevegandinerDined on 3/14/2014As 2 vegan diners, there were only 2 or 3 choices for us on the menu but the chef very kindly made up a veg noodle bowl for us. Very attentive server was willing to answer all our questions about the ingredients of the dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I thought Satsuma was ok.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/6/2014I thought Satsuma was ok. It wasn't bad and it wasn't amazing. Their Disco Fries were AMAZING, however the sushi fell flat. They are very funky and innovative but they barely put any seafood in the rolls and the flavors fell flat for me. We got almost every roll on their menu (as it was happy hour), and there wasn't one that we were "WOW'd" by. I also think they may want to consider putting a few "regular" rolls because too much funky rolls wasn't great. I think I would go back, but to have those disco fries, which is a meal in itself and maybe try one of their hot food dishes. Happy hour is a great deal (half off sushi), but the rolls just didn't tickle my fancy.Special Features:
- Casual, fun, deliciousLlamaDined on 2/22/2014Creative sushi, good beer list and a delicious combination of casual Western foods with some Eastern ingredients like Duck Duck Disco Fries! Going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timelikesthebestDined on 2/15/2014It was different and nice enough. The food was well prepared and tasty but I felt a little rushed. A little more leisurely pace would have been nicer.Special Features:
- Sushi Rolls were good, butDissapointedDined on 2/14/2014Sushi Rolls were good, but the Duck fries are too rich, would not order them again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the duck!SallycooDined on 2/1/2014The duck in the menu with brussrl sprouts was one of the best duck dishes I have ever had. Pair it with the fried rice with coconut milk. Yumm! Our coffee came after dessert- fashionable but not what we wanted. We have eaten here 3 times and will be back.Special Features:
- Asian VarietyMovieMarkVIPDined on 2/1/2014I like sushi, but I also like other Asian foods, so it's nice that Satsuma offers so many choices. We found the service friendly and really efficient, and the food itself was very tasty. The small plates approach gave us lots of fascinating taste combinations. The bar downstairs is very energetic but the dining room upstairs was quiet enough to talk but not at all sleepy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & WaitstaffsesullivanDined on 1/11/2014Loved the food and the wait staff was the best! The wait staff was constantly moving and awesome great team work. Our waiter was very knowledgeable of the entire menu and the specials for the day. The restaurant seating is up a narrow staircase. My knees do not like stairs but it didn't matter because everything else especially the food was fantastic. First time here and we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but needs vegetarian optionsTSquareDined on 12/31/2013We generally enjoyed dining at Satsuma, but I am a bit disappointed that as an Asian restaurant, there were no vegetarian entree options. I was forced to cobble together a few appetizers. This is the first time I have experienced this at an Asian restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Years Eve DinnerCACT903Dined on 12/31/2013Found Satsumi while searching for a last-minute restaurant reservation for NY Eve dinner. I live in NJ and have never been to the Trolley Square area. After reviewing menu online, I felt that I should try this. The restaurant was very quite at 9:15pm, but the service was excellent. Although our server must not have been thrilled that they were so quite, he was still very positive and caring. The food was great. Best Edamame I have ever had. Will definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Eve pre-party dinnerSallyDined on 12/31/2013Dined here NYE with my wife before stopping at a party. At this point in the night, there weren't many people eating downstairs. All tables were on the 2nd floor. We were able to get a booth, which was nice. Enjoyed a couple small plates along with some sushi rolls. All were nicely prepared and took a different spin on the normal fare. All and all, thumbs up from us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satsuma is Delaware's new gem!AliCatVIPDined on 12/28/2013Great menu, great specials, everything was delicious and the service was amazing. Love our waiter Joe who always makes us feel right at home. Everyone loved their food and we ordered just about everything. Sushi, cheesesteak egg rolls, duck disco fries, edamame, short rib, wings, oysters. All of it was amazing. We will if course be back to visit soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is that a train coming at us?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/19/2013When this was the DelRose there was just one floor so when we walked into the bar area I thought "is this it?!?" Thankfully, no. There was a large group celebrating the holidays so it was pretty loud; upstairs was quiet. They did a really great job of opening up the upstairs. Exposed brick, cozy booths and an extra area on the third floor for a larger group,maybe 10-12? We ordered several apps and small plates including two specials, their signature roll and pork tacos with a spicy slaw in a fried waton wrapper= yummy! We also ordered the calimari and the tuna tartar. Everything was delicious! Big bonus was our server Seth, who was knowledgeable about the menu, friendly and even took pictures for our table and our neighboring table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One Problem OnlyNT125Dined on 12/13/2013We had such a hard time parking that we almost gave up. Found a spot 3 blocks away that required parallel parking but we got in the spot and walked quickly to keep warm. Glad we persevered because we enjoyed our meal very much.Special Features:
- Very nice dinner before theatre.tishDined on 12/12/2013Our server was excellent. Everything was good however I wasn't impressed with the Angry Rock shrimp.the portion was disappointingly small and the flavor wasn't anything special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.