Satellite Bistro and Bar
5900 Slaughter Ln #400
Austin, TX 78749Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Satellite Bistro and Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.satellitebistro.com/
- Phone: 5122889994
- Hours of Operation:
Friday-Saturday 11:00am - 10:30pm,
Sunday: 10:00am - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Vidales
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, High Tea, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call our Catering Director for info!
- Private Party Facilities: We have a very comfortable private dining lounge complete with a baby grand piano, please inquire within!
- Private Party Contact: Steve or Kesha 5125357777x
- Entertainment: Enjoy the live music ranging from Jazz to Western Swing to everything in between in the Michael Andrew's Lounge, complete with baby grand piano—STELLAR!
A word from Satellite Bistro and Bar
At Satellite Bistro & Bar, fresh ingredients & hearty plates are always in orbit. Modern meets retro on the menu (contemporary spins on classic American favs) & on the walls (cool bistro with a futuristic '60s feel). Outfitted with sleek table tops, retro-mod chairs & plenty of lounge-worthy booths, Satellite is a versatile dining destination that's equally comfy for brunch—say, with a Portabella mushroom, red pepper & avocado-amped Eggs Benedict called the Flying Saucer or heavenly Ice Cream Battered French Toast OR for a Weekend Night On-The-Town...Pop in for the Orchid Chicken or Greek Saganaki, & you can eat, mingle & enjoy the live music ranging from Jazz to Western Swing to everything in between in the Michael Andrew's Lounge, complete with baby grand piano—STELLAR!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Satellite Bistro and Bar - Best Restaurants in South Austin ›
Satellite Bistro and Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)great for outdoor dining (17)great for brunch (15)good for groups (9)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (7)romantic (6)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Review TitleOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/22/2014I really enjoy this restaurant. They usually have space and are extremely close to where I live. The menu is small but the offerings are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy, Happy HourcurlygirlVIPDined on 8/19/2014We have a group of about 10 folks that meets monthly for happy hour here in the southwest. We like to rotate our location and I decided to give Satellite a try. I was really pleased with our server. She managed all of us so easily, especially when folks came at different times. We originally wanted to split checks and she took care of that. Although at the end, the check was covered by two folks instead. We only had appetizers but they were great. She even was able to bring us some cut up veggies for the folks who couldn't eat chips. There were a few signature cocktails which seemed delicious. I had two of the peach mojitos and loved them. I would highly recommend the restaurant for groups in the southwest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood find!SouthAustinNativeDined on 7/31/2014We recently discovered this place just minutes from our house. We had avoided it thinking it might be a little pricey but we went to hear a friend play in a band, and we found the food to be delicious and the price to be affordable. My only complaint is that on nights they have music, it doesn't start until 7:30 and happy hour ends at 6:30. We would like both at the same time! Another plus is they will take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open more daysYorkiegirlDined on 7/27/2014Would like the bistro to be open for weekday lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girl's Night OutTxGirlDined on 7/13/2014Myles was awesome! He was very professional and fun at the same time.Special Features:
- Great Drinks, Good Food, Better AmbShaggyTheFoodieDined on 7/5/2014If you go for a date, the Satellite Bistro and Bar won't leave you with a disappointed taste in your mouth. The ambience is perfect for an evening meal with a couple. It's not upscale, but it's better than a chain restaurant. The drinks make you smile, and the service leaves you feeling well taken care of. The food's not quite what makes two foodies jump out of their chairs. It's good. We didn't think it tasted bad. It's just that the description said lump crab with avocado over bibb lettuce and garlic chili ranch dressing. That sounds like it should send amazing juice through our bodies. We noticed no discernible fireworks of flavor. We left relaxed. We'll probably be back again. It's just not the tippy top of the list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, okay serviceJpcrackaDined on 6/13/2014Food was incredible, inside was very noisy and music was very loud. Service was okay. Much quiter at outside seating. Inside was very tough to have a table conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Birthday Evermyssm79Dined on 6/7/2014Having just moved to the Austin area and being a huge foodie/chef I was excited to try new places. After doing some research online and making a short list I decided that Satellite was the place to start and I was incredibly pleased. The decor and ambiance was perfect; it evoked a feeling of 60's Space Age Pop and I could easily picture Juan Esquivel or Tito Puentes playing live. The food was incredible, decadent and clearly made with passion and from high quality ingredients. Creative menu, warm service... Satellite just may be my new favourite place to eat. I cannot wait to come back and try everything on the menu. Thank you for the greatest birthday dinner ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday BrunchTxGirlDined on 6/1/2014The food presentation & taste were top notch. Will be going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependably goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2014Have eaten here dozens of times and never been disappointed. Most recent visit, on a Sat. night, featured a jazz trio, a nice touch. Very relaxing, unpretentious restaurant. Brunch is also excellent.Special Features:
- Favorite weekend brunch spot!love2dineDined on 5/11/2014This place has turned into my 'goto' for weekend brunch- love the options! My favorite is the flying saucer. :) Also, went for Mother's Day where they had a fabulous buffet! It will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchRspinDined on 5/11/2014Had Mother's Day brunch here. Great experience! Awesome food, friendly wait staff!
- One of my favoritesChristinaRDined on 5/11/2014Satellite Bistro and Bar is one of my favorites. I discovered it this past December and have dined there almost every week since then. The menu is broad and everything that we have ever had tastes great. The truffle fries are the best!Special Features:
- In the HoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/5/2014My wife and I always enjoy Satellite Bistro because it is a short drive away (its also within walking distance). They serve excellent cocktails and their menu is simple enough but always offer good choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 79 reviews are from the Satellite Bistro and Bar reviews archive.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014great place to go, the food is great, cool lil bar, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was fine.KellrockDined on 4/29/2014I never have high expectations when I try something new so I was not disappointed. I was also not impressed. This place was recommended to me by a coworker. We were seated on time but it took a long time to be greeted by a server. They were busy for a Tuesday, we were told. Our server was a very lovely, friendly server who was clearly overwhelmed. I wasn't in any rush and she said they were busier than usual so I wasn't bothered by it. I ordered the redfish with a champagne Gorgonzola salad and my fiancé ordered the scallops. Presentation was lovely and the salad was yummy. My meal was good. My fiancé said his meal was too oily. The food was fine but I'm not sure we'd go back.Special Features:
- GreT neighborhood gem!KamaainaVIPDined on 4/20/2014Always enjoyable. Great atmosphere, staff, food and live entertainment. Really enjoy Night Train!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Easter BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014A wonderful brunch. The Eggs Benedict were perfect and the scalloped potatoes are my favorite. Have been going for years. Such a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every time !!MemeDined on 4/18/2014This restaurant is in our neighborhood. We eat here often. Every time we love our food. We have tried many items on the menu and enjoyed all of them.Special Features:
- Real neighborhood Gem in Circle CKamaainaVIPDined on 4/13/2014Had a delightful quiet late evening dinner on the patio. Service, food and atmosphere were delightful!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchHungryDined on 4/6/2014Great brunch menu with very reasonable prices! Worth the drive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fab-u-lousBabsDined on 3/28/2014One of our favorite spots in the 'hood. It is our "go-to" place for happy hour during the week. Love the crab cakes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantntaylorDined on 3/22/2014Kid Friendly probably more for lunch and sitting outside although there were some school age children there when we showed up for dinner at 8P. Food has always been good - never have had anything bad there. Can be loud with the music when sitting inside so don't expect a nice, quiet dinner conversation unless you sit outside. But, the music is nice...Special Features:
- Outstanding!AmandaJDined on 3/19/2014Tried this restaurant for the first time and was very impressed. The avocado pico de gallo in the trio of dips appetizer is fantastic. The fish tacos come with a peanut sauce that is out of this world and definitely gives a new flavor to the tacos. We had great service from the time we were seated in a comfy booth until the moment we left.Special Features:
- Service is KeyPatioPeopleDined on 3/7/2014In the past, we have had bad experiences at Satellite to the point we have walked out. The bad service started with the very young hostesses. But our waiter who served us this time and during our previous visit is wonderful! He checked on us, but not too much, and is excellent at customer service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mmmm ScallopsbevetteDined on 3/2/2014Hard to find scallops done right and tasty.. love the dish here.Special Features:
- Good.CFNIVDined on 2/16/2014Went for brunch. Had some drinks. Seemed heavy in the mixer lite on the wine. Midas were okay. The salmon was very good as well as french toast wast cooked well but lacked flavor. Server was good but seemed overwhelmed. Never visited by a manager.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed theAnnWDined on 2/15/2014We thoroughly enjoyed the food, especially the Thai chicken stir fry - delicious plus the amount of food to satisfy the heavy eater. The house Magarita on the other hand was quite bland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DayBruzbro1Dined on 2/14/2014Found this place about a week before V-Day and decided to give a shot. They sure surpassed my expectations. The Filet and my wife's pork shank were absolutely awesome. The drinks were great as well as the service. Come expecting a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a night!NickSallyDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ate at Satellite for Valentines Day. I have no complaints. Everything was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014The 4 course Valentine's Day dinner on 2014 was amazing. Way better than we expected it to be. My husband and I were very pleased with all 4 courses. My rib-eye steak was cooked to perfection along with my husbands creamy chicken pasta dish. Made for a perfect, not over crowded Valentine's date night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experience!SAustinLoverDined on 2/14/2014I had seen friends check-in here through social media and based on the pictures & reviews, I wanted to give a try. We went for a Valentine's Day dinner where they had a specific menu, candlelit tables & dimmed lighting - but I would return again for certain. Service and staff was friendly but not overbearing, we weren't being checked in on constantly and we got our order in very reasonable time. The drinks were good, and had a great selection. The food was outstanding, it just could not have been any better. There were mostly couples dining that night, but I'm sure it's kid friendly and great for small groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, server..not so muchBDH1Dined on 2/8/2014We booked our table online and ask for a spot close to the music. We got just that and it was perfect! The food was amazing...we ordered drinks, appetizers and entrees all around. Although the food and drinks were AMAZING our server seemed quite annoyed for some reason??!!She seemed to be rushing us and very short with us regarding any questions we had about the menu (never been there before!) When we asked her for silverware (we did not get any when we were seated) she came back with 4 sets and abruptly slammed them down. After she left all 4 of us looked at each other and said "she seems mad or annoyed" for some reason.When she came back, I asked her if we had upset her or if she was mad about something...she replied "No, I am just busy!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Good Music, RecommendedmylesVIPDined on 2/6/2014Satellite Bistro has really gotten its act together since we first moved into the area and tried it two years back. Nothing but praise for the last six months. Most recent dinner was all thumbs up with entrees... pork chop on regular menu and Mediterranean grill special. Steak and bean soup also gets a very honorable mention as a $2 add-on to an entree. Prices are reasonable for food quality and portion size. We also enjoy the live music scheduled some nights. Recently, the very talented Jackie Venson sang and played piano on a perfect selection of R&B and pop tunes. Service is attentive, parking is easy.
- Birthday dinnerKbiologistDined on 2/3/2014The meal was excellent, we have not had scallops that good in cities known for their seafood, like Washington DC, Portland OR. This is the third time we have dined here for special occasions (birthday, Mothers Day) and the food and atmosphere was great. Last year we went there for my birthday and there was a live band, it was a little too loud for those wanting to have good conversation with good food. Otherwise our experiences have been great. My husband doesn't like to drive far to dine out but he will go there as the food is always good, and at a very reasonable price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service great food. AlwaysbirthdaydinerDined on 1/26/2014Good service great food. Always a pleasure to dine here.Special Features:
- Our waiter Myles was terrificNanHDined on 1/25/2014Our waiter Myles was terrific with our large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Sunday lunch experienceLaurieDined on 1/19/2014The food is interesting without being "out there" and is always presented beautifully. And it is always yummy! The host persons and wait people are always pleasant and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Dining ExperiencemylesVIPDined on 1/16/2014Had a some very good meals recently (following a period of disappointment in 2012 to early 2013), and so I can highly recommend SB&B. Pork chop on regular menu was outstanding and amply sized.
- compromisedJackDined on 1/11/2014Wife's initial meat order unevenly cooked, had to be returned/replaced, hors d'oeuvers returned as overcooked - were replaced and credit for cost of same on final bill.I would recommend this to a friend.