100 Cumberland Street
Toronto, ON M5R 1A6Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sassafraz.ca/
- Phone: 4169642222x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Geoff Webb
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live pianist Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Special Events: Please note 18% gratuity is added to the check for parties of eight or larger. Only one bill will be presented.
For all online reservations of 15 or more please contact Dennette Schott at firstname.lastname@example.org to setup your required set menu.
A word from Sassafraz
Set in an array of Victorian rowhouses, Sassafraz has evolved through the decades to become a magical space in the heart of historic Yorkville. Located at the corner of Bellair and Cumberland, the little yellow house has "seen it all" from the early hippie movement of the 60"s to the lack of movement that comes from too much Bordeaux. Sassafraz offers an exceptional menu serving market-driven, French-inspired Canadian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
Sassafraz - Best Restaurants in Yorkville ›
Sassafraz reviews from OpenTable diners
216 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (134)romantic (104)fit for foodies (87)neighborhood gem (84)great for lunch (69)hot spot (61)great for outdoor dining (59)great for brunch (59)good for groups (50)notable wine list (49)scenic view (29)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (18)kid-friendly (11)Show More
- Food spoiled by Noisy atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014This restaurant falls victim to the all too prevalent attitude that loud music makes patrons believe that this is a "happening" place. Instead, it makes it difficult to have a quiet conversation with dinner guests. Music in the bar area would be fine but in the lovely dining room, complete with waterfall, it would be nice to HEAR the music of the waterfall, not the bass line of some popular music. There IS a market of many many guests who search with difficulty for a restaurant which offers as its product offering a combination of fine food and a fine atmosphere in which to enjoy it. Could Sassafraz be the restaurant which finally wakes up to this unsatisfied market ? I hope so, because we and many like us would be regular patrons.Special Features:
- A class above the restOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The food and the plating, as well as the attention to detail is excellent. Service was good and there when needed, which is how we prefer it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at SassafrazSucepoodleVIPDined on 8/24/2014I chose Sassafraz based on their menu. This restaurant surpassed in every way. My guests and I enjoyed our meal and particularly liked the desserts. A gem in Toronto.Special Features:
- Ladies who brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We had an impromptu ladies' brunch and the experience was wonderful. This is a place with top-notch service, including all food arriving at the exact same time with multiple servers appearing, same with plates being cleared. We didn't feel at all rushed, we just enjoyed the delicious food and relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ca190VIPDined on 8/22/2014Amazing!! Our server with the bleached blond hair the best ever so funny, such a grew guy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sparklesDined on 8/21/2014I've worked in this area for 16 years and it was my first visit to Sassafraz. It was a great experience with excellent service and delicious food. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Enjoyable ExperienceCocoaDined on 8/21/2014Great food, great ambience, and great setting. Our table looked out onto the patio and the street with people walking by. In the back, there is a waterfall under a sky roof, which we will ask for next time we visit for brunch. Having a 4-month old baby, it is difficult to find places to eat. But the staff here were wonderful and accommodating to our need of stroller space, etc. They even had a little dessert treat to make our dinner memorable. Prices are on the high side - but the food and taste was great. I enjoyed the scallops appetizer very much, along with the lamb sirloin. The green fried tomato and the lobster appetizer were delicious but a bit expensive. Overall, this place was perfect for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchBandCfoodiecplDined on 8/16/2014Overall a goo experience, food was presented well and favourable. Ambiance is lovely, quiet and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my 5th anniversaryzuberioDined on 8/14/2014I decided to take my wife to dinner here on our 5th year wedding anniversary. Do not regret that decision. The food was delicious and the portion sizes were perfect. Wait staff were very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabElaineDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food, service from our waitress who is our favourite over and above!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicerthibodDined on 8/11/2014Service was excellent. A classy dining experience. The food was interesting and tasty but nothing mind blowing. My portion was a little small. Prices were better than I was expecting. I would go here again for drinks, but probably not for dinner unless invited by someone.Special Features:
- Great!Loki101Dined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent. Service was fantastic. Walked by many times and finally tried it and was thoroughly impressed! Handmade chocolates at the end of the service was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but serious concerns!psyc274VIPDined on 8/3/2014Sassafraz has great food, but we were somewhat disappointed with the kitchen. Our server was alright, but when she recommended a cheese tray at the end of the night (detailing each cheese), she came back to tell us that the kitchen was under renovation and the cheeses were deep in the freezer. After declining dessert, the waitress came to tell us that the cheese was actually 'not in the freezer' and would be served. While the platter was excellent, we we're really thrown off by the forged professionalism of the staff. Clearly they wanted to pack up for the night (9pm) and the kitchen didn't want to serve what they had already put away. For a place that is supposed to be 'higher end' in Yorkville, we were completely turned off by this alone.Special Features:
- The Ladies night outYUMMieDined on 7/29/2014It started off good but after our appetizers we waited a long time for our main meal, no one came to apologise or to assure us someone was working on our meal. Finally the meal arrive, my bison looks dried so it must have sat under the lights for some time. We ordered desert and coffee, latte, capaucino. Well the desert arrived and again the hot drinks were no show for a long while. Finally the waitress caught our eyes and knew we were not happy. The manafer did come to apologise and the 1 desert n 4 hot drinks were taken off our bill by him. Have to say they were very quick to pick up the cash when we were handed the bill.Special Features:
- 👌👌👌👌👌IknowfoodbestDined on 7/28/2014service was great, food was fresh and tasty. setting was romantic and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerLoriDined on 7/21/2014We really enjoyed our second visit. The food was excellent and catered to my dietary needs. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014went there for summerlicious. Great lamb and duck breast. gonna visit again for sure!Special Features:
- Great experiencemckeniDined on 7/20/2014I've always eaten on the patio and didn't realize how big it was inside, with the waterfall, beautiful umbrella light fixtures and glass roof, complete with a curtained private table above. Great ambiance, service and was given a private table, tucked away in the corner. Food was pretty good, including the fesh hot bread delivered in daily from an Italian bakery. Will definitely go back!Special Features:
- Waiter Not To Be SeenWOWWWWWWDined on 7/19/2014This wasthe most disappointing meal of my entire life. The waiter was seen 3 times, when each course was served. Never were we asked how the food was, etc. I would never spend this much money again for such dismal service.Special Features:
- great food and scenesaudia558VIPDined on 7/18/2014We went there for Summerlicious. Everything was delicious and the services was great!. My only (semi-) complaint was that the food portions were a little small.Special Features:
- disappointed summerliciousBoobeeDined on 7/18/2014Went for summerlicious menu but the food was really not so impressed, especially the desserts, compared to many other restaurants with the same priced menu that I've been to. But the restaurant has very nice decor and service was excellent. I how that their normal menu would be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful summerlicious experienceCrabby1997Dined on 7/18/2014Service at the restaurant was great. Our server was attentive and the food was amazing! We sat at the outside patio and could not ask for moreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing staffRebecca18VIPDined on 7/18/2014So appreciative of the wait staff who were incredibly attentive and accommodating for our group of 5 moms and 5 babies. Great experience, great food, great ambience!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceKamaDined on 7/17/2014Tried the summerlicious dinner menu. Both Lamb steak and duck breast are excellent. Surprisingly the dessert is very good and not too sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Spot on CumberlandNancyKnowsFoodDined on 7/17/2014Sassafraz starts the night off right with a warm welcome and prompt customer service. The choice of food and drink are excellent. Quality of food is outstanding. Perfect place for a night out with friends or for celebrating a special occasion. Considering Sassafraz is in a prime location, it is easy to locate and parking is closely available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodLVRDined on 7/17/2014We had the Summerlicious menu, which was extensive and our choices were delicious. The service was excellent, I will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FliesEatnwfriendsDined on 7/16/2014Beautiful ambience, but they need to control those fruit flies!!!Special Features:
- No goodAugustDined on 7/16/2014There was a lipstick mark left on the wine glass, Penne was salty and not tasty, my friend's dessert came too late(everyone else finished their desserts when she got hers), Servers didn't care about us enough. No water flush at the restroom. I don't think I will ever visit here again.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/16/2014Great place for lunch - Summerlicious selection was terrific and there was something that appealed to each of us.Special Features:
- Will go back for good foodGundam12Dined on 7/15/2014Food is good and atmosphere is great too. Service is perfect. And the wine list is good choice.Special Features:
- Very Good...As UsualPeterVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sassafraz continues to provide excellent food and service. Over the years the quality is maintained, and few restaurants achieve this. Price levels are high, but not outrageous. Reliable for lunch or dinner. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Summerlicious 2014ccttDined on 7/12/2014Came here for the forth year in a row for their Summerlicious and it's always a pleasure. Although the food service took a little longer than usual, once the food arrive, all was made up for! Super delicious and the staff is always welcoming. Would definitely keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience, great food.MrLemonDined on 7/12/2014May have been the best prepared chicken breast I have ever had. Flavours were very good for my tomato gazpacho appetizer, milk chocolate mousse dessert, but main side of slivered root veg could have used a little something. Great overall experience and I would try it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely lunchspeciallunchDined on 7/12/2014This was our first visit to Sassafraz and from the moment we walked into the restaurant it was a special experience. Staff were friendly and fun and very attentive, décor is gorgeous, food was fresh, local, and beautifully prepared and presented. There is an excellent selection of wine and cocktails (the Summer Splash drink was delicious!) We were there for a friend's birthday lunch and you made it a very special occasion. Will definitely be back soon and would enthusiastically recommend your restaurant to anyone for any occasion. Thank you for making it such a fun and memorable event for our group! An outstanding restaurant in a beautiful neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014When I went to Sassafraz for first time, I was impressed by the quality of the food and service. This time the experience was different since the food was average and it took more than 40 min to get a simple appetizer. A little disappointed this time :(I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014Outstanding customer service. Tentative to details by the server. Humourous at times. Definitely will go to Sassafraz again. Thanks for a memorable experience.Special Features:
- Mgs04Dined on 7/11/2014First time dining here. Besides the romantic ambience, the service and food is top notch. We asked our server, Gio, if we could move to the tables at the end of the restaurant with the vertical plant wall & waterfall. He apologized and told us that those tables were already reserved. It was sweet of him to show us the place after our dinner and gave us a tip on how to reserve it next time. He even offered to take our picture with that spot as a background. The beef tartare is excellent and the duck breast is the best one I've tasted, cooked medium..tender and packed with flavor. The chocolate mousse dessert is heavenly. Just the right amount of sweetness. Overall, a wonderful experience. Thanks again to Gio for the excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a pleasureDavidDined on 7/11/2014Dining at Sassafraz was probably the best deal of Summerlicious. The $25 price tag for the prix fixe lunch was a bargain, in my opinion. The food was excellent, and the portions generous (in comparison to other restaurants' Summerlicious menus). It's great that they partake in this event; everybody should be allowed the opportunity to dine at Sassafraz, to experience the great food, the great ambiance, and the great service. Thank you!Special Features:
- DisappointedCg04grDined on 7/11/20141. The food was just ok because one of the main courses was cold when served. 2. Not infant friendly at all - washroom has no changing table. 3. Waitress was rush rush rush, dessert was there while one of the main courses was not finished yet.Special Features:
- Excellent Summerlicious menu!RoccoloverDined on 7/10/2014What we enjoyed most was that the Summerlicious items were from the regular menu. Perfect for real comparison. Also, enjoyed the Summerlicious menu cocktails and wine. Splendid! Great to have all the windows open and enjoy the summer in TOSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.