100 Cumberland Street
Toronto, ON M5R 1A6Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sassafraz.ca/
- Phone: (416) 964-2222
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Geoff Webb
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Entertainment: Live pianist Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Special Events: Please note 18% gratuity is added to the check for parties of eight or larger. Only one bill will be presented.
For all online reservations of 15 or more please contact Dennette Schott at firstname.lastname@example.org to setup your required set menu.
A word from Sassafraz
Set in an array of Victorian rowhouses, Sassafraz has evolved through the decades to become a magical space in the heart of historic Yorkville. Located at the corner of Bellair and Cumberland, the little yellow house has "seen it all" from the early hippie movement of the 60"s to the lack of movement that comes from too much Bordeaux. Sassafraz offers an exceptional menu serving market-driven, French-inspired Canadian cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sassafraz reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (61)romantic (52)fit for foodies (48)neighborhood gem (40)great for lunch (32)hot spot (31)good for groups (30)great for outdoor dining (22)great for brunch (21)notable wine list (21)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Always reliableRogerDined on 11/17/2014This was our five visit with clients. Sassafraz is always reliable, quiet and appropriate for good conversation with excellent food, well trained waitpersons. It is our most reliable restaurant for business dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- improve your cookingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014I had mozzarella with pomegranate salad, filet mignon (medium), panna cotta desert. I was expecting more interesting tastes, salad components were not connecting much, filet was a bit dry, panna cotta was bland, there was good pear pure w/it but in small amount. I would recommend to focus on improving dishes.
- Very good for special occasion or romantic eveningSarahDined on 11/11/2014Myself and my husband enjoyed a very nice evening at the restaurant and the service, food and setting was excellent. We really enjoyed the food, and would most definitely recommend it for special occasions, celebrating a special event, or a romantic dinner for two. The wait staff were exceptional too and couldn't have been more helpful while we never once felt like they were bombarding us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HabsDined on 10/31/2014My friend and I had a lovely lunch sitting by the living wall (plants, running water). Ask for a table there. Good list of wines by the glass. Prompt friendly service.Special Features:
- OutstandingColleenDined on 10/25/2014From the exceptional decor to the wonderful food and staff, Sassafraz is a must visit when in the neighbourhood. I cannot say enough positive things. My server Jessica was polite, friendly and extremely helpful. The food was perfect! My only complaint is I don't live close enough to visit more often!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Olives!FoodieVIPDined on 10/18/2014Had a decent dinner. Ordered their olives appetizer intending to take left overs home (only 1 out of 3 liked olives in our group). Asked them to pack them up an upon leaving asked for them and they'd forgotten and thrown them away! And said they 'didn't have any more to give us'! Seriously? A restaurant of this caliber? Obviously will not be visiting S again. Many other great restaurants in Toronto with great food and great service!Special Features:
- Great experienceDeliciously57Dined on 10/13/2014Great experience, great food, great staff! Great ambiance, classy and invitingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dissapointingluv2cheersVIPDined on 10/12/2014Thanklessgiving dinner. Each time I visit my daughter in Toronto we'll have lunch or dinner at this restaurant always preferring the lounge for its cosy relaxed atmosphere. The food and presentation never disappoint but this time the evening was ruined by an indifferent staff on a night with very few tables occupied. Staff seemed preoccupied with each other and for a higher end restaurant to serve you a glass of wine from a newly opened bottle without a taste or seeing the bartender pour remnants of previously opened bottle wine in to a freshly opened one was surprising but befitting of an indifferent staff.Special Features:
- excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/12/2014I have traveled all over the world and this is still one of my favorite restaurants. The dining room is beautiful and very elegant. The service is friendly and on point. Food is excellent, extremely fresh and full of flavor. Sassafraz does it right.Special Features:
- A delightful dinnerPiterVIPDined on 10/10/2014We happened upon this upscale restaurant in Toronto and were very delighted with our whole experience. A fresh heirloom tomato salad, delicious wine, perfect halibut dinner and a treat of fresh local cheese for desert. Our server, Anthony was a pleasure, very knowledgeable and enhanced our dining experience. For a quite dinner, I would recommend the dining room over the bar which was more energetic with a large party. The topiary "planted wall" gave a pleasing view for the dining room. Great chef with wonderful flavors . . . a definite treat!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerKristineDined on 9/26/2014The restaurant was very accommodating in hosting our large group. Our waitress, Alison, was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent mealFoodwestDined on 9/22/2014this was a dinner with business colleagues and we had an excellent meal with superb service. One of our group was very late arriving in Toronto and the restaurant said they would keep the kitchen open for him. In the end he did not make it. But it ays a lot about the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet excellenceAvocatDined on 9/17/2014Could not have been a better experience. Such a delight to find a quiet place where you can have conversation without straining to hear. Great food and lovely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014First time at Sassafraz. It is a fairly conservative, upscale Yorkville restaurant. Very tasteful decor and lots of space. Service was excellent, but menu probably a bit too traditional for anyone the age of 50. Nevertheless, had a very enjoyable dinner and the noise level and ambiance was perfect for conversation.Special Features:
- Terrific in All Ways!!AnneDined on 9/11/2014Food was exceptional, all 4 of us enjoyed our meals.....Tuna and Steaks were excellent for all. Ambience was stellar, very pretty dinning room! And the service was the best of All, our waitress Vivianne was sweet and funny and Very on the Ball! I can not wait to go back again. It was definitely worth the money. I would recommend for sure!Special Features:
- Always Delicious and interestingcaroleDined on 9/8/2014The food at Sassafratz is always delicious and there is great variety. My only complaint this time was the service - not the server - she was very friendly but things were very slow. I don't mind waiting for good food, i realize that it takes time to prepare but we had to wait forever for drinks from the bar and even a cappuccino took so long. I think the barkeep was too busy and had too much to do. I would suggest getting him some extra help! I had finished my regular coffee before my friend got her cappuccino and at the beginning of the meal we waited a long time for Sangria as well. My son arrived a short while after us and he waited a long time for a whisky sour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentngalletVIPDined on 9/6/2014We used the bring your own wine possibility and it was exceptionnal.Special Features:
- SassafraligiousEssenguruDined on 9/6/2014My daughter and I loved this restaurant. The waiter and all the wait staff were amazing, friendly and efficient, the food was super delicious! A must go to in Toronto!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2014Need to increase the selection of food. Quality of the food is very good but limited choice for dinner and lunchSpecial Features:
- Surprising DisappointmentFoodieDined on 9/1/2014What a surprising disappointment. The restaurant seems to be on its last legs. Not a busy night, and the kitchen could not supply 4 of the 9 entrees on the menu. One member of our party ended up ordering a hamburger from the bar menu. My entrée was beyond overdone...literally burned on the bottom. Service was spotty. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend this restaurant to anyone for any reason.
- Wife's BirthdayumarDined on 8/31/2014I have eaten at Sassafraz several times in the last two years. I have received the same wonderful service and quality. It's this consistency that keeps me coming back. Food as expected was wonderful but I must say that it was Anthony our server that made us feel right at home. Thank you Anthony for making this great occasion even more memorable. You are a professional Umar September 30th 2014Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Place in TorontoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014Definitely go for it! Very nice place, delicious food and an amazing serviceSpecial Features:
- Food spoiled by Noisy atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/28/2014This restaurant falls victim to the all too prevalent attitude that loud music makes patrons believe that this is a "happening" place. Instead, it makes it difficult to have a quiet conversation with dinner guests. Music in the bar area would be fine but in the lovely dining room, complete with waterfall, it would be nice to HEAR the music of the waterfall, not the bass line of some popular music. There IS a market of many many guests who search with difficulty for a restaurant which offers as its product offering a combination of fine food and a fine atmosphere in which to enjoy it. Could Sassafraz be the restaurant which finally wakes up to this unsatisfied market ? I hope so, because we and many like us would be regular patrons.Special Features:
- beautiful place, good foodTODinerVIPDined on 8/28/2014Long time favorite. Expensive but good. In the heart of Yorkville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A class above the restOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The food and the plating, as well as the attention to detail is excellent. Service was good and there when needed, which is how we prefer it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at SassafrazSucepoodleVIPDined on 8/24/2014I chose Sassafraz based on their menu. This restaurant surpassed in every way. My guests and I enjoyed our meal and particularly liked the desserts. A gem in Toronto.Special Features:
- Ladies who brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014We had an impromptu ladies' brunch and the experience was wonderful. This is a place with top-notch service, including all food arriving at the exact same time with multiple servers appearing, same with plates being cleared. We didn't feel at all rushed, we just enjoyed the delicious food and relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ca190VIPDined on 8/22/2014Amazing!! Our server with the bleached blond hair the best ever so funny, such a grew guy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sparklesDined on 8/21/2014I've worked in this area for 16 years and it was my first visit to Sassafraz. It was a great experience with excellent service and delicious food. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and Enjoyable ExperienceCocoaDined on 8/21/2014Great food, great ambience, and great setting. Our table looked out onto the patio and the street with people walking by. In the back, there is a waterfall under a sky roof, which we will ask for next time we visit for brunch. Having a 4-month old baby, it is difficult to find places to eat. But the staff here were wonderful and accommodating to our need of stroller space, etc. They even had a little dessert treat to make our dinner memorable. Prices are on the high side - but the food and taste was great. I enjoyed the scallops appetizer very much, along with the lamb sirloin. The green fried tomato and the lobster appetizer were delicious but a bit expensive. Overall, this place was perfect for our anniversary dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice BrunchBandCfoodiecplDined on 8/16/2014Overall a goo experience, food was presented well and favourable. Ambiance is lovely, quiet and charming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for my 5th anniversaryzuberioDined on 8/14/2014I decided to take my wife to dinner here on our 5th year wedding anniversary. Do not regret that decision. The food was delicious and the portion sizes were perfect. Wait staff were very helpful and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabElaineDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food, service from our waitress who is our favourite over and above!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great servicerthibodDined on 8/11/2014Service was excellent. A classy dining experience. The food was interesting and tasty but nothing mind blowing. My portion was a little small. Prices were better than I was expecting. I would go here again for drinks, but probably not for dinner unless invited by someone.Special Features:
- Great!Loki101Dined on 8/8/2014Food was excellent. Service was fantastic. Walked by many times and finally tried it and was thoroughly impressed! Handmade chocolates at the end of the service was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, but serious concerns!psyc274VIPDined on 8/3/2014Sassafraz has great food, but we were somewhat disappointed with the kitchen. Our server was alright, but when she recommended a cheese tray at the end of the night (detailing each cheese), she came back to tell us that the kitchen was under renovation and the cheeses were deep in the freezer. After declining dessert, the waitress came to tell us that the cheese was actually 'not in the freezer' and would be served. While the platter was excellent, we we're really thrown off by the forged professionalism of the staff. Clearly they wanted to pack up for the night (9pm) and the kitchen didn't want to serve what they had already put away. For a place that is supposed to be 'higher end' in Yorkville, we were completely turned off by this alone.Special Features:
- The Ladies night outYUMMieDined on 7/29/2014It started off good but after our appetizers we waited a long time for our main meal, no one came to apologise or to assure us someone was working on our meal. Finally the meal arrive, my bison looks dried so it must have sat under the lights for some time. We ordered desert and coffee, latte, capaucino. Well the desert arrived and again the hot drinks were no show for a long while. Finally the waitress caught our eyes and knew we were not happy. The manafer did come to apologise and the 1 desert n 4 hot drinks were taken off our bill by him. Have to say they were very quick to pick up the cash when we were handed the bill.Special Features:
- 👌👌👌👌👌IknowfoodbestDined on 7/28/2014service was great, food was fresh and tasty. setting was romantic and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 721 reviews are from the Sassafraz reviews archive.
- DinnerLoriDined on 7/21/2014We really enjoyed our second visit. The food was excellent and catered to my dietary needs. We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014went there for summerlicious. Great lamb and duck breast. gonna visit again for sure!Special Features: