527 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saschas.com/
- Phone: 4105398880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: no reservations taken; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Catering: We have been a premier quality caterer in the Baltimore Washington area for over 25 years.
- Entertainment: Sascha's presents live jazz every Thursday and Friday nights with exciting local talent. Blend the look and feel of the space with sensual musical performances and you will find your night completed.
A word from Sascha's
Sascha's 527 Cafe is the creation of Sascha Wolhandler and Steve Suser. After more than 20 years as Baltimore's stylish boutique caterer, they have taken a charming 19th century Mt. Vernon townhouse topped with an antique crystal chandelier, dramatic 16' ceilings, warm lighting and candlelit tables and presented a look and a feel that Style Magazine has called "drop dead sexy". Sascha's menu is a comfortable blend of great flavors, both local and global. Organic and natural ingredients are used extensively to bring only the best and healthiest to the table. Small plates, called taste plates, offer a wide selection of grilled, pan seared and lightly fried foods, from bison to lobster, Mediterranean to Deep South. Large plates, from Free Range to Filet and freshly created and prepared specials of the day, compliment the dinner menu. It's a feast for the senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sascha's reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (24)romantic (22)special occasion (19)great for lunch (9)good for groups (9)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- GREAT fried chickenTeMeDined on 9/30/2014I'm from the Midwest, and I was pleasantly surprised at how great their fried chicken special was when we went on a Tuesday night. We found out that they do this special on a Monday or Tuesday evening....but get there before 7:00 p.m. or they may already have run out. Nice atmosphere and great service. The desserts are super too! Hope we get back to Baltimore to eat here again.Special Features:
- Nice date nightsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The food is delicious and the atmosphere is nice. We come here for date nights and enjoy ourselves. Also, it doesn't get loud in there like other restaurants tend to, which we like.Special Features:
- Quiet Mt. Vernon CharmMrBigVIPDined on 9/20/2014This place was a nice outting on a Saturday night, very appropriate for casual dates. Wine was good and portions were tasty and appropriate. I recommend the flank steak. Not sure how crowded this place can get during it's busy time, but "busy time" is a moving target of the Mt. Vernon area. Very quiet and peaceful when I went, which was enjoyable for the space.Special Features:
- SaschasSkerinDined on 9/11/2014Food wasnt too bad but not my favorite. Had the branzino and my girlfriend had the lamb two ways but wasnt extra ordinary.Special Features:
- It was ok!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a very professional, very nice server for our dinner at Sascha's. My salad was VERY salty (not sure why? too much cheese?) and I came home actually feeling sort-of unwell! My husband felt similarly over-salted that night and the next morning. It's a nice spot and an interesting menu.
- Pleasantly surprisedRoseDined on 8/30/2014We went to Sascha's with a Groupon. After finishing our meal, we said that we would have been more than happy to pay full price! We split the fried pickles which were perfectly crisp and very tasty. My husband got the tea chicken and loved it. I got the curried eggplant "lasagna" per the waitress' recommendation which was delicious! As a vegetarian, it is a special treat to have a composed entree as opposed to a plate of vegetables and pasta/grain. We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.Special Features:
- everything on the rest week menujlhpartyof2Dined on 8/16/2014Was tasty. We had a party of three so it was a chance to try everything. Nothing disappointed. Restaurant seemed to close a bit early but aside from that there were no issues. Very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service very disappointingKAGilroyDined on 8/16/2014I expected an experience fit for foodies, but was very disappointed in the quality of the food. Specifically - Shrimp and Grits: Shrimp was great, grits were bland; salmon tatake: salmon didn't taste fresh and the peanut sauce was a terrible combination with this fish. There were pink round tings on the plate that tasted rotten. The tomato feta dish was okay - just very plain in the presentation and taste - and very over priced for what you got. Overall, I expected a great meal (considering Sascha's reputation as one of the top local restauranteurs), but the taste, presentation and price of the food were all very disappointing. And, there was only one server for the entire restaurant on a Saturday night, so the service was slow.Special Features:
- Good food, better serviceEllieBDined on 8/15/2014I like Sasha's food a lot and the service is fantastic. It's pretty expensive and the portions are slightly smaller than some similar restaurants near by in the same price range. So for us, Sasha's is a once every few years place (maybe during restaurant week) but not a favorite in a city with so much great dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each time is greatADECatonsvilleMDDined on 8/10/2014We live in Catonsville, in Baltimore County, and have been coming to Sascha's for many years. The menu has changed (in good ways) over the years, and each time we thoroughly enjoy ourselves.Special Features:
- Sascha's is always a hot pickOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My friends and I look for this restaurant every Restaurant Week. It has gained popularity since we first visited them, so we try to book early. I'm love that the chef tries new things on a regualar basis, but they do keep some tried and true favs on the list. The bartender is EXCELLENT! The orange sangria was to die for! I had to recommend it to a table of other guests who were trying to decide which cocktail to try. Delish!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014My daughters and I had a girls night out for Restaurant week and wanted to try some place new to us. We all had a different choice of the menu and all the dinners where wonderful.Special Features:
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Great food, wine, and service! First time here was for restaurant week and decided to do the wine pairing add-on. Totally worth it. The wines were spot on and the food was amazing. Recommend the shrimp and grits appetizer and steak entree. All the desserts were delicious too. Beautiful restaurant as well. Would definitely return here.Special Features:
- LindaDined on 8/2/2014Restaurant week was fab. Don't usually participate, but glad we did. Thanks so muchSpecial Features:
- If this is their best, don't botherPickyDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went during "restaurant week"; they only served the prix fixe menu. Dishes ordered (4 people) were: Polenta (really salad w/polenta cubes for croutons), shrimp w/grits, short ribs, filet mignon, cioppino w/tagliatelle, salted caramel budino, carrot cupcake, chocolate 3 ways, fruit tart (called "fresh" but made with lemon curd). No bad dish, but none anything to write home about, either. 1 steak sent back (ordered medium rare, arrived quite cold inside). Cioppino full of seafood but not very flavorful. Nobody liked the potato hash served w/the steaks. Desserts ranged ok to good. Service intrusive (how many times can the waitress say "I hate to interrupt you" w/o figuring out that she should NOT be interrupting?) Room quite noisy.
- Great Find!jka1104Dined on 8/1/2014I booked a reservation because of their awesome restaurant week menu. They had so many options that I was sure everyone would be satisfied. The food, ambiance, and service were just as wonderful as I had hoped. The shrimp and grits appetizer was amazing, as were the salmon and filet entrees. I highly recommend the carrot cake for dessert. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- Excellent Food & ServiceSedsoDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoyed the variety and quality of the small plates. Our server did an amazing job despite some very large parties in the restaurant around the same time. The only negative was the high noise level. It's a pretty dining room but there really isn't much to absorb sound.Special Features:
- Very SurprisedLisaS186Dined on 6/7/2014My date and I were looking for something different and we decided on Sascha's. The food was very good (I wasn't a fan of my short rib sliders) and the service was outstanding. The waitress at one point came over and told me that they overcooked my chicken and without skipping a beat she said they were cooking a new one and the meal was on the house. All I can say is that is was worth the wait. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceMaureenVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a 6:00 reservation proceeding tickets to the BSO. Due to horrific traffic on the Beltway and JFX, we were 40 minutes late. The restaurant held our reservation (although they weren't busy that evening). We told our waitress we had BSO tickets and she was amazing about getting our dinners out in time. She was the consumate waitress. She was friendly, courteous, attended to ur needs but did not hover. Our food was absolutely delicious. The only negative is the grilled Caesar salad is a bit difficult to cut up, but it was dressed beautifully and was fabulous otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wed. evening filet special!ATownDined on 6/4/2014Great filet and martini special for $18! Delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 647 reviews are from the Sascha's reviews archive.
- Big ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014The menu that listed the wonderful food choices was different that advertised on opentable. There entertainment was none existence compared to what was advertised and there service was mediocre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014Fied zuchini appetizer. It was a little greasy but overall it had good flavor. Burger entree. It seems challenging for most restaurants so once again i asked for medium well, and i received it well, but it was flavorful. My wife had a shrimp/mussel on linguini dish. It had good flavor but many of the noodles were not done. The carrot cake desert was pretty dry. I had my sights set on a burger that i saw on their website, however, when i got to the restaurant the menu was not the same. The server said that they had just made the menu change but didn't update their website yet. I find that to be very unprofessional. Our server and other staff was excellent. Very attentive. Overall the food was ok, but i probably won't go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Delicious food and great decor. Our server was nice but didn't seem to really engage our group.Special Features:
- DCFtWorthVIPDined on 5/20/2014Excellent. Great servier , Stacey! Thank you. Baltimore gem!Special Features:
- Disappointing experiencestationnorthdinerDined on 5/16/2014While the decor was very cool and cute, the food and the service sub-par. I had crab cake sliders - the brioche buns were so dry I couldn't finish them. The fried pickles were mushy and tasteless (more like fried cucumbers) and the bread sticks on the table were stale. Then, our party of 6 was charged an automatic gratuity of about 22%!! Automatic gratutity is fine, but I like to be alerted and instead a number was just scribbled on the top of the check. Not itemized and clearly over 20%, because that number was already printed a the bottom! She charged our card quickly even when we asked her to hold off on the tip so we could take another look at the number. We left upset and won't return. Too many better restaurants in the area.
- Great Food and ServicefoodloverVIPDined on 5/14/2014We dined at Sascha's on a Wednesday night and all had their fillet special which was magnificent. Our waitress was very attentive despite a busy restaurant in which she was the only waitress. The meal was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable Pre-theater DinnerMikeHikeEatVIPDined on 5/3/2014We ordered the following: Steak and Egg Ramen, LOBSTER CORN BISQUE, and Shrimp and Grits Jambalaya were great, Short Rib Pastrami was flavorful but a little dry.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014Food and service was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood gem indeedbillmartDined on 4/5/2014A newly revised and wallet-friendly menu is attractive. Special kudos for pricing many items with two sized and prices - appeals to the budget and weight conscious. Friendly staff, sensible wine list. A good place to be if you are in Mt. Vernon.Special Features:
- Things are changingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014Sometimes, Sascha disappoints...lamb sliders were not warm and hard as a rock...salad wilted...service attentive and good...there are times when the kitchen seems to not pay attention...
- Had a great time. The foodBradVIPDined on 2/26/2014Had a great time. The food was a little underwhelming but the dishes were still new. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundBdubDined on 2/23/2014I had a great experience at this restaurant. First time I had been there. We went for restaurant week, and the menu was incredible. Had the short rib, chicken breast and apple/pear crisp.Special Features:
- Great food and Service!dkdangDined on 2/23/2014My friends and I came for restaurant week and really enjoyed the food and the service. The ambiance was nice and casual and it wasn't very crowded, which was nice. I will definitely return for their normal menu and I highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Caterer ShoppingStephenDined on 2/21/2014Looking for a wedding caterer. Tried the restaurant week menu. Food had complexity. Our friend is dairy free and they accommodated him nicely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great and the serviceMikeDined on 2/20/2014Food was great and the service was as well. The shrimp and grits are a hit. The carrot cake was moist, but it was missing something. Other than that, it was a very nice place. I will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!GingerDined on 2/18/2014Great from beginning to end! Great service and great food!Special Features:
- Go food & ambiance, not the serviceMichaelBVIPDined on 2/18/2014Delicious food, beautifully prepared, in a gorgeous setting w/ perfect music playing in the background. However, I was surprised that the service was so "rough around the edges" -- especially for such a nice restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekkimbaDined on 2/16/2014I town to visit our daughter we dined on the first night of restaurant week, Sunday. The menu was varied. Appetizers were good, especially the shrimp and grits; ravioli filling was delicious, the pasta was either too thick or simply underdone; beet salad was very good. Main courses were lamb shank, best of the night, filet, well cooked but potato pancake was over salted. Scallops were well cooked but the cabbage with orzo was bland and not seasoned at all and not worth eating. All three desserts were delicious, banana bourbon cake was the stand out for me but my husband preferred his carrot cake and we also had the flourless chocolate cake, thick and dense. Generally, an enjoyable meal. Apps and lamb standout.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant is right downOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2014The restaurant is right down the street from Sotto Sopra so I was hoping for the same type of quality- unfortunately not. Typically restaurant week is for trying higher end restaurants at a cheaper price. I feel like the money was not worth this food. While the food looks nice and eloquent it was cold and salty. My filet came out cold and the sides were all way too salty. Desserts were bland. Other in my party got the lamb and ahi tuna- both very salty. For the price you would expect more of a fine dining experience but I would have rather went to Outback.
- Not as nice as I had expectedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Not as nice as I had expected for the location. Felt cheap.