527 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21201Neighborhood:
Global, InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.saschas.com/
- Phone: (410) 539-8880
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: no reservations taken; Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Global, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Catering: We have been a premier quality caterer in the Baltimore Washington area for over 25 years.
- Entertainment: Sascha's presents live jazz every Thursday and Friday nights with exciting local talent. Blend the look and feel of the space with sensual musical performances and you will find your night completed.
A word from Sascha's
Sascha's 527 Cafe is the creation of Sascha Wolhandler and Steve Suser. After more than 20 years as Baltimore's stylish boutique caterer, they have taken a charming 19th century Mt. Vernon townhouse topped with an antique crystal chandelier, dramatic 16' ceilings, warm lighting and candlelit tables and presented a look and a feel that Style Magazine has called "drop dead sexy". Sascha's menu is a comfortable blend of great flavors, both local and global. Organic and natural ingredients are used extensively to bring only the best and healthiest to the table. Small plates, called taste plates, offer a wide selection of grilled, pan seared and lightly fried foods, from bison to lobster, Mediterranean to Deep South. Large plates, from Free Range to Filet and freshly created and prepared specials of the day, compliment the dinner menu. It's a feast for the senses.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Sascha's reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (49)fit for foodies (42)romantic (30)good for groups (25)special occasion (24)great for lunch (11)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (7)notable wine list (6)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- I've been missing out...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/21/2014Lived in Baltimore city almost ten years and made the mistake of not coming here sooner. "Great" is the only way to describe it... food, service, ambience, setup. Sasha's put them all together and I looked forward to coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No meat neededcrutchfieldnefferdorfVIPDined on 11/15/2014I found it quite maddening as a person who does not eat red meat or pork, that two dishes, Shrimp and Grits and a chicken dish added either meat or pork to it. I requested the grits without the sausage and was told it was part of tge dish, and could not order it without it? Why add pork to a seafood dish? I decided on the crabcake sliders, of course after checking the menu to make sure there was no secret pork chop center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/14/2014We enjoyed a lovely date night here over the weekend. Have been here 4-5 times before and this time delivered just as all others. Service was excellent, nice beer and wine selection. The atmosphere and delicious food is why we continue to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet nightBabaVIPDined on 11/12/2014Since there weren't a lot of people there, our waitress was serving double duty as maitred' and seemed a little put out either because of this or something else. Didn't make our experience very pleasant.
- Friday nightDaveVIPDined on 11/7/2014Nothing to write home about, food was just okay, cheese board was basic, duck dumplings were cold and fish tacos were bland. Expected more based on other reviews, we won't be back.
- Happy Beets/Sad RockfishHASEaterVIPDined on 11/4/2014Stopped by for a late night meal and started off on the right foot with a delicious roasted beet salad with delicious goat cheese and tasty blueberry dressing. The rock fish entrée however was fairly tasteless, and the accompanying carrots and fennel did little to enhance the dish. And if you are going to serve the fish skin side up, make sure the skin is crispy! Still, it was an enjoyable dinner, and the service was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really liked itOtterVIPDined on 10/28/2014Despite some slow service with one waitress covering the floor on a relatively slow Tuesday night, we really liked this place on our first visit. Comfortable, interesting décor, creative cocktails, good food. Just had a good vibe and we will definitely go back.Special Features:
- JustMaryDined on 10/28/2014Service was very good considering there were three total staff to serve all guests and one of them was also bartender and chef! The crab cake sliders were excellent, however the lamb sliders were tough and dry. The grilled romaine salad was delicious and perfectly dressed. The squash bisque was rich and tasty but overburdened with goat cheese (hard to believe I'm saying that as I am a fan of goat cheese). The restaurant is very comfortable and unique without pretense. I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be backTheWizDined on 10/22/2014We had a very nice Wednesday evening dinner at Sascha's recently. The lone waitress handled all in the dining room well (although she might have been pressed if it had been crowded). Nice wine selection, interesting menu, and very pleasant ambiance. Started with the Mental Salad, which was delicious. We enjoyed the non-traditional steak frites as well as the eggplant lasagna (although the curried tomato sauce was a little odd). There was no chocolate bread pudding, so we tried their traditional version, which was good, not too sweet, and served with very good vanilla ice cream.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly RecommendedOperamomDined on 10/18/2014This was a great place. Lots of interesting menu choices, everything we tried was delicious. Service was efficient and attentive without being intrusive. Great atmosphere and location. Definitely will return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chandelier ceiling charm clubMediatorMichaelDined on 10/17/2014James, a member of First Unitarian, recommended Sascha's as a nearby dinner spot, sent us the link, and recommended making reservations for a Friday night. We both chose seafood selections. Served to allow us time to walk back for opening of our concert, the food was delicious. Though we were older than many, there were lots of couples and the energy level was toward the happy and excited end of the range.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- deeelishDined on 10/15/2014We love Sacha's, esp. the shrimp and grits with succotash and the pastrami sliders on caraway biscuits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theatre dinnerdiner101Dined on 10/14/2014I have met friends here for dinner twice in the last month and the two experiences varied widely from one another. The first we sat at the bar and had the most attentive and informative bartender. We shared a few plates and found the fried green tomatoes and crab cakes especially satisfying. Based on the good experience, we returned for dinner in the dining room. The waitress was fine, but bordered on inattentive. She didn't offer any information on the menu or specials, and were then told the the kitchen was out of fried green tomatoes when we ordered them. If we return, we definitely will head to the bar.
- Always funJonesesDined on 10/11/2014We came here with another couple before going to the Chesapeake Shakespeare Theater at it was perfect. We've been before and as usual the food was great!Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Been here twice before and food + service was great. Went back again expecting the same. Service was great and prices are fair, but food wasn't anything to brag about. Not a terrible dining experience. But there are too many better restaurants to choose from in BaltimoreSpecial Features:
- GREAT fried chickenTeMeDined on 9/30/2014I'm from the Midwest, and I was pleasantly surprised at how great their fried chicken special was when we went on a Tuesday night. We found out that they do this special on a Monday or Tuesday evening....but get there before 7:00 p.m. or they may already have run out. Nice atmosphere and great service. The desserts are super too! Hope we get back to Baltimore to eat here again.Special Features:
- Nice date nightsAutGioDined on 9/26/2014The food is delicious and the atmosphere is nice. We come here for date nights and enjoy ourselves. Also, it doesn't get loud in there like other restaurants tend to, which we like.Special Features:
- DarkMaureenVIPDined on 9/26/2014I think the owners need to pay their electric bill. :) It was too dark in the restaurant (and it was still light outside) to read the menu and I had a great deal of difficulty. We noticed that folks at other tables had mini flashlights that they were using to see the menu....wish I had known. I ordered the crabcake sliders and a house salad. I ordered the house salad because I didn't see that the sliders came with a salad (and the waitress saw no reason to let me know!) and I ened up with massive amounts of greens. Our meals were good but I will be looking to find a pocket flashlight before heading back to Sasha's again!Special Features:
- Quiet Mt. Vernon CharmMrBigVIPDined on 9/20/2014This place was a nice outting on a Saturday night, very appropriate for casual dates. Wine was good and portions were tasty and appropriate. I recommend the flank steak. Not sure how crowded this place can get during it's busy time, but "busy time" is a moving target of the Mt. Vernon area. Very quiet and peaceful when I went, which was enjoyable for the space.Special Features:
- SaschasSkerinDined on 9/11/2014Food wasnt too bad but not my favorite. Had the branzino and my girlfriend had the lamb two ways but wasnt extra ordinary.Special Features:
- It was ok!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014We had a very professional, very nice server for our dinner at Sascha's. My salad was VERY salty (not sure why? too much cheese?) and I came home actually feeling sort-of unwell! My husband felt similarly over-salted that night and the next morning. It's a nice spot and an interesting menu.
- Pleasantly surprisedRoseDined on 8/30/2014We went to Sascha's with a Groupon. After finishing our meal, we said that we would have been more than happy to pay full price! We split the fried pickles which were perfectly crisp and very tasty. My husband got the tea chicken and loved it. I got the curried eggplant "lasagna" per the waitress' recommendation which was delicious! As a vegetarian, it is a special treat to have a composed entree as opposed to a plate of vegetables and pasta/grain. We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.Special Features:
- everything on the rest week menujlhpartyof2Dined on 8/16/2014Was tasty. We had a party of three so it was a chance to try everything. Nothing disappointed. Restaurant seemed to close a bit early but aside from that there were no issues. Very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service very disappointingKAGilroyDined on 8/16/2014I expected an experience fit for foodies, but was very disappointed in the quality of the food. Specifically - Shrimp and Grits: Shrimp was great, grits were bland; salmon tatake: salmon didn't taste fresh and the peanut sauce was a terrible combination with this fish. There were pink round tings on the plate that tasted rotten. The tomato feta dish was okay - just very plain in the presentation and taste - and very over priced for what you got. Overall, I expected a great meal (considering Sascha's reputation as one of the top local restauranteurs), but the taste, presentation and price of the food were all very disappointing. And, there was only one server for the entire restaurant on a Saturday night, so the service was slow.Special Features:
- Good food, better serviceEllieBDined on 8/15/2014I like Sasha's food a lot and the service is fantastic. It's pretty expensive and the portions are slightly smaller than some similar restaurants near by in the same price range. So for us, Sasha's is a once every few years place (maybe during restaurant week) but not a favorite in a city with so much great dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Each time is greatADECatonsvilleMDDined on 8/10/2014We live in Catonsville, in Baltimore County, and have been coming to Sascha's for many years. The menu has changed (in good ways) over the years, and each time we thoroughly enjoy ourselves.Special Features:
- Sascha's is always a hot pickOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014My friends and I look for this restaurant every Restaurant Week. It has gained popularity since we first visited them, so we try to book early. I'm love that the chef tries new things on a regualar basis, but they do keep some tried and true favs on the list. The bartender is EXCELLENT! The orange sangria was to die for! I had to recommend it to a table of other guests who were trying to decide which cocktail to try. Delish!Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/8/2014My daughters and I had a girls night out for Restaurant week and wanted to try some place new to us. We all had a different choice of the menu and all the dinners where wonderful.Special Features:
- Loved this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Great food, wine, and service! First time here was for restaurant week and decided to do the wine pairing add-on. Totally worth it. The wines were spot on and the food was amazing. Recommend the shrimp and grits appetizer and steak entree. All the desserts were delicious too. Beautiful restaurant as well. Would definitely return here.Special Features:
- LindaDined on 8/2/2014Restaurant week was fab. Don't usually participate, but glad we did. Thanks so muchSpecial Features:
- If this is their best, don't botherPickyDinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We went during "restaurant week"; they only served the prix fixe menu. Dishes ordered (4 people) were: Polenta (really salad w/polenta cubes for croutons), shrimp w/grits, short ribs, filet mignon, cioppino w/tagliatelle, salted caramel budino, carrot cupcake, chocolate 3 ways, fruit tart (called "fresh" but made with lemon curd). No bad dish, but none anything to write home about, either. 1 steak sent back (ordered medium rare, arrived quite cold inside). Cioppino full of seafood but not very flavorful. Nobody liked the potato hash served w/the steaks. Desserts ranged ok to good. Service intrusive (how many times can the waitress say "I hate to interrupt you" w/o figuring out that she should NOT be interrupting?) Room quite noisy.
- Great Find!jka1104Dined on 8/1/2014I booked a reservation because of their awesome restaurant week menu. They had so many options that I was sure everyone would be satisfied. The food, ambiance, and service were just as wonderful as I had hoped. The shrimp and grits appetizer was amazing, as were the salmon and filet entrees. I highly recommend the carrot cake for dessert. We will definitely be back!!Special Features:
- The following 651 reviews are from the Sascha's reviews archive.
- Excellent Food & ServiceSedsoDined on 6/14/2014We really enjoyed the variety and quality of the small plates. Our server did an amazing job despite some very large parties in the restaurant around the same time. The only negative was the high noise level. It's a pretty dining room but there really isn't much to absorb sound.Special Features:
- Very SurprisedLisaS186Dined on 6/7/2014My date and I were looking for something different and we decided on Sascha's. The food was very good (I wasn't a fan of my short rib sliders) and the service was outstanding. The waitress at one point came over and told me that they overcooked my chicken and without skipping a beat she said they were cooking a new one and the meal was on the house. All I can say is that is was worth the wait. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ExperienceMaureenVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a 6:00 reservation proceeding tickets to the BSO. Due to horrific traffic on the Beltway and JFX, we were 40 minutes late. The restaurant held our reservation (although they weren't busy that evening). We told our waitress we had BSO tickets and she was amazing about getting our dinners out in time. She was the consumate waitress. She was friendly, courteous, attended to ur needs but did not hover. Our food was absolutely delicious. The only negative is the grilled Caesar salad is a bit difficult to cut up, but it was dressed beautifully and was fabulous otherwise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Wed. evening filet special!ATownDined on 6/4/2014Great filet and martini special for $18! Delicious!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big ChangesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/29/2014The menu that listed the wonderful food choices was different that advertised on opentable. There entertainment was none existence compared to what was advertised and there service was mediocre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014Fied zuchini appetizer. It was a little greasy but overall it had good flavor. Burger entree. It seems challenging for most restaurants so once again i asked for medium well, and i received it well, but it was flavorful. My wife had a shrimp/mussel on linguini dish. It had good flavor but many of the noodles were not done. The carrot cake desert was pretty dry. I had my sights set on a burger that i saw on their website, however, when i got to the restaurant the menu was not the same. The server said that they had just made the menu change but didn't update their website yet. I find that to be very unprofessional. Our server and other staff was excellent. Very attentive. Overall the food was ok, but i probably won't go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Delicious food and great decor. Our server was nice but didn't seem to really engage our group.Special Features:
- DCFtWorthVIPDined on 5/20/2014Excellent. Great servier , Stacey! Thank you. Baltimore gem!Special Features: