1432 N. Main Street
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sasawc.com/
- Phone: 9252100188x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Hours Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch Hours Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner Hours Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Hours Sunday-Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Dinner Hours Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Mid Afternoon Menu EVERYDAY: 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Happy Hour Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm at Bar and Lounge
*Sushi Menu Available ALL DAY, EVERYDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Philip Yang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sasa Restaurant combines seasonal menu selections, flawless service, and attentive planning to create a truly memorable event. From business luncheons to stunning weddings and formal events, we offer the inspiration, attention to detail, and culinary creativity that will make your moment shine. Planning an event doesn’t need to be stressful. Let us help. Our Event Coordinator, Lori Johnston, will help with all the details that make this day so special.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private space with seating capacity of 40. We also offer a private garden patio setting with space for 32.
- Private Party Contact: Lori Johnston 9252100188x
- Special Events: Sasa cordially invites you to an exclusive "Diner en Blanc" New Years Eve 2012. Cost is $75 + tax and gratuity. Dinner, DJ, dancing, favors, and champagne toast are all included. Call Sasa to book early at 925.210.0188.
A word from Sasa
Sasa is a new Japanese inspired restaurant in Walnut Creek. Izakaya Restaurants are traditional small plate restaurants where friends go to have a drink and unwind after a long day. Situated in the historic 100 year old building that for many years housed the Walnut Creek Meat Market, this architectural jewel has been transformed into a ambiance that wows and invites guests to stay and enjoy the dining experience at SASA. Chef Cyrus Irudistan and Chef/Owner Philip Yang prepare Japanese influenced dishes from around the world. The staff welcomes you into their house and offers up comfort, hospitality and fun. The restaurant includes a full bar with a large Sake selection, outdoor patio, sushi bar and a commitment to fresh local seasonal faire.Continued
*Note: Personal wines welcome, a $20 corkage fee will apply per bottle
*Note: Personal wines welcome, a $20 corkage fee will apply per bottle
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sasa reviews from OpenTable diners
121 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)special occasion (49)neighborhood gem (46)vibrant bar scene (39)hot spot (38)good for groups (36)romantic (36)great for lunch (29)great for outdoor dining (29)late-night find (14)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (6)scenic view (2)Show More
- Dining experience at SasaOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2014it's just an ok restaurant, but I was glad we tried it. Foods were a little bit salty for our taste. The menu offers interesting items and my sister & i tried about 7 of them and only liked 2. We live in Palo Alto and frequent Walnut Creek for my hair appointment on North Main St. and dine around there after the appointment. We fine dine a lot and don't mind the the cost, but the foods have to be really good and theirs were not at par to what we expected them to be for the price we paid. I must say that the place was very nice and the service was excellent.
- Great restaurant!KathyDined on 9/21/2014Have been to Sasa's twice and am looking forward to many more times. Food is excellent, service is superior and the restaurant has a warm and welcoming feel about it, complete with a stunning waterfall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eclectic Japanese western foodServisDined on 9/19/2014Great restaurant in the heart of walnut creek, very busy so fair service. Portions are too small, quite expensive given the portions you receive. Over priced wine list. Food excellent, the sautéed watermelon salad is unique and delicious. The sushi is fairly standard and good, the best part of the menu is the non sushi items. Dinner for 6 with wine was $350.Special Features:
- Always great food and serviceEatOutWayneVIPDined on 9/19/2014One of our favorite "go to" places. Always great for sitting at the bar for drinks and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing find!!!!lovedeliciousfoodDined on 9/6/2014We are new to the area and had been looking for a good sushi restaurant. We had actually gone to another place right before coming here, but the service was horrible, so we left before getting our order taken. We googled for sushi restaurants in the area. We came across this one and since we were super hungry, decided to give it a try. Well it went way beyond my expectations. We got a table right away, sushi was excellent and super fresh, the service was really great (I believe our waiters name was Marco), and the dessert was a perfect ending to our dinner. We are definitely coming next weekend. My husband is still talking about the green tea dessert he had, and he doesn't usually care for green tea anything. This place was a hit for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great girls night out spot!TrossonDined on 9/6/2014Went here Saturday night with the girls! It was so delicious, our server was fantastic, just had so much fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a neighborhood gemhobbyjalan2Dined on 9/4/2014Look out for the coffee table - granite lighted from underneath. Love the decor. Love the different table/chair arrangement. The food is fusion, great presentation and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Tuesday Special!CRHartyDined on 9/2/2014We were a party of 6, and wanted to pay more attention to visiting than picking plates to share. You can hardly go wrong, but since there is a big selection it can take a while to decide. We noticed their Izakaya Tuesday Special, 10 different Sasa Signature items each priced at just $10 each. We got all 10, plus edamame and drinks, and it was fun, well-paced and plentiful. Oysters, flatbread, meat skewers, scallops, 4 different rolls, and more. We all shared and it was a nice amount of food. They were able to accommodate our food-allergy request, with avocado on the side. Delicious bites, wonderful flavors, very nice presentations. It was our 3rd visit, and we will be happy to go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodSteakLoverVIPDined on 9/2/2014First time here and it was well worth the referral from the hotel. This place was awesome.Special Features:
- Great sushiDineoutqueenVIPDined on 9/1/2014We enjoyed a great selection of sushi items on this occasion. The maguro nigiri was very tasty. The Sasa roll was delicious. We sat outside because it was nice and we recommend that as it can sometimes be incredibly noisy inside. Good experince again. Will return.Special Features:
- Good food and experienceSunnySandyVIPDined on 9/1/2014We were seated immediately at a very nice booth - the service was very good and quick. There were four of us and we started with sharing two appetizers for each couple. The short ribs were the best that we ever tasted - which we found interesting since this is mostly an asian infusion restaurant. The sushi rolls were excellent, too. I would suggest the regular Dragon roll over the White Dragon roll.Special Features:
- Great place for foodiesAgavegalDined on 8/27/2014Sasa is more than a sushi place. The non sushi menu has many small plat offerings such as Tongue and Cheek Croquettes, and Butter of the Gods, which is roasted bone marrow with flat bread. The sushi is great too. We tried the sake flight, which was yummy. We finished our meal with the green tea creme brûlée and bananas foster bread pudding, both were great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/24/2014We have been coming to Sasa for quite a while now. We were disappointed this time that the wine list had changed dramatically and some of our favorites such as the jalopena poppers were no longer availabole because there was a new chef. I'll wait to come back until things have righted them selves again.
- Not a great bang for your buckPandaLilyDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is lovely, with nice decor, and notably, sculptural sinks in the bathrooms. We ordered the Miso Black Cod, the Garlic Noodles, Mushroom Miso Soup, the steak, the chicken drumettes ("Chicken Lollipops"), skewers, and and All Season roll. The drumettes came first - they were coated in a sweet sauce, and the portion was only six drumettes. We then had the steak, which was again, small, but the steak was nice and rare. Finally, the Miso Soup was way too small, the cod was excellent, and the noodles were way too pricey for what you get. I recommend the steak, the cod, and the All Season roll (has real crab). Our waitress was absent when we tried to pay the bill. Overall, the food was good, but highly overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- Not as good as prior visitsWaitingDined on 8/22/2014We have dined as Sasa several times and have always had a great time. This time we were seated in the back room (no ambiance) and the food was just okay. On prior visits the wait staff was excellent. This time he brought out the wrong order and it took over 20 minutes before he returned with the right dish. An off night? Or a slip in quality? Not sure if I will go again to find out.
- Sure winmaggiefiDined on 8/10/2014One of my favorite restaurants in my neighborhood and in downtown Walnut Creek. The sushi is always excellent, the service is generally great, and they have some fantastic cocktails and house-made wasabi. The ambience is lovely--a well designed and well lit space. And the outdoor patio seating is a bonus. Sasa delivers quality on a consistent basis…a sure win.Special Features:
- Very good sushi, but $$$. Cramped.byrdyDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I love sushi and wanted to try Sasa after hearing recommendations. For us, we didn't like the tables being 2ft away from each other and hearing the other couples conversations while we tried to have ours. The sashimi was really good. The rolls were expensive and slightly above average. There's better out there. The bananas foster bread pudding was ridiculously good. Probably one of the best bread puddings I have ever had. Overall the restaurant is more bar like than a typical sushi restaurant. Our server was fantastic. Clearly a professional server, attentive, knew the menu and specials well, and was knowledgable about the wine. I think that without him I might have rated the experience even lower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience; menu OKTGSODined on 8/9/2014Western (i.e. good) wait service for typically Asian fare with a gastro twist. As a sushi restaurant, there are better. Same can be said for the izakaya offerings. Entree items are balanced and appropriately cooked, though leaning towards the blander side. The food is good, the decor is smart, but it's overall experience that makes this place's value. Otherwise, Sasa will seem overpriced to the well-traveled bay area diner seeking only to please the palate.Special Features:
- Nice Dining on PatioFineDiningFanDined on 8/8/2014We sat out on the patio which was very enjoyable and much quieter than the inside of the restaurant which is pretty loud for us. Our favorite dish was the Toro Sashimi and the Lettuce Wrapped Tempura Prawns. Amazing sauce and flavor. The watermelon salad was very refreshing and flavorful. We had a great time and excellent food.Special Features:
- Exquisite: delicious food & serviceDoctorZDined on 8/8/2014Shannon, Jason, Dale and crew deliver an ever pleasing dining experience every time. Can't wait to see what the new chef brings to the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food every timemstargirlDined on 8/7/2014We dine here regularly, about once a week. Food is always amazing and tastes delicious every time. However, sometimes service is very slow. We kept having to ask for refills on water & tea. It took a long time to get the check from the server. Not sure why service was so poor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Food was delicious and presented beautifully and very reasonable. Our server was very attentive and pleasant. We sat outside, they made a narrow outside area attractive with plants and lattice and we really weren't aware that we were next to a traffics pathway. Only drawback, the parking is limited. There is a public structure about 1 1/2 blocks away. An enjoyable and delightful lunch!!Special Features:
- DonnieDined on 8/6/2014We went to Sasa last night. It was a nice festive environment. We had five in our party and ordered nine rolls to share. Tasty, but only a B- on the grade scale . Small portions, so not good for a groups. Very pricey. cheapest wine on their wine list was $40.00. We got it and it was very good, so I assume the other more expensive wines were wonderful. All in all it was a fun dinner, but I pity the poor guy stuck with the bill. Oops that was us. $$$$$ I left hungry and my son ate again when he got home. That means I paid twice! Good part is my son felt happy on his birthday, and that is what counts.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerjeffDined on 8/6/2014In all ways excellent with wonderful server.food was outstanding and saki was superb.Special Features:
- Every Japenese Food Lovers DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The food was incredible and the decor gorgeous. My new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chris was great!BentDined on 8/2/2014Our Server Chris was great. Just the right amount of humor with good info about the food selections.Special Features:
- Amazing!mangiamoDined on 7/26/2014Always great attentive service. They have lots of fun dishes to try for foodies, they even have a section on the menu called "Odd Things" for the adventurous eaters. Love this place!Special Features:
- Untraditional, Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/23/2014I've been to hundreds of sushi restaurants and I can honestly say this lands in the bottom third. For the price paid, it's likely in the bottom 2%. Why? I can deal with the non traditional menu that reeks of an overly Americanized sushi place trying to meet all needs so long as The quality of the fish is up to par. Their sushi is mealy and has a fishy odor. Quality sushi is translucent, firm yet creamy and has a slight briny scent. The heirloom tomato salad was awful and their lunch specials are gimmicky. $75 for two people at lunch and I'd rather eat Trader Joes selection. Yeah, it's that bad. Service is solid though which is why I gave two stars
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014Read the reviews and wanted something special for a birthday dinner. Most of us are huge sushi fans. Variety of small plates was a plus (one person in party not a sushi fan), but for the sushi fans, while nothing bad, were not overly impressed.
- Always Goodmmfm01Dined on 7/21/2014This was my 4th time at SASA, it continually delivers. Great fresh unique food, Small plates, Big flavor. Service was solid and parking surprisingly easy right to the south ally of the restaurant. Two things I liked best was the quality of the ingredients, and the fun spin on items. We had the eggplant which was spectacular as the rolls are every time. Mike MacSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, HORRIBLE serv by VeraBilly2013VIPDined on 7/17/2014Great food as usual, but the most HORRIBLE service by very abrupt & obnoxious & absent & disappearing server "Vita." She forgot MANY items, snippy when spoken to, gone 2nd half of meal, I think she gone SMOKING...DISASTER! She even told us of the MANY WC places she has worked in recent years...seems unstable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great repeat visitMiswuVIPDined on 7/12/2014Excellent innovative menu, sushi and sake menu. Wonderful repeat visit with the family!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerHealthyWeathyWiseDined on 7/11/2014Our waiter helped us select several plates to share and finished with a selection of desserts to share. We loved every dish and the service made it a fun experience.Special Features:
- Outdoor seatingSushiisrawDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I sat outside. There was no need for a reservation on a monday night but I had made one just in case. The outdoor seating area was great and I would go again for drinks and for the lettuce wraps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and cocktailslynnelizVIPDined on 7/6/2014I went with 2 others and we shared small plates. It was a really great dinner.Special Features:
- JupiterJaneOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/6/2014I have always enjoyed my dining time at Sasa. The negative reviews were most surprising to yours truly. We all have "bad days". I encourage diners to give Sasa another try. Our waitress, Dale, was a delight, knowledgable and added to our wonderful dining experience. Our guests from San Francisco & LA, also gave their first time dining with Sasa, a "thumbs up"! "Freshness of the fish, outstanding wine selection, decadent desserts!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnevenDineWellVIPDined on 7/5/2014We eagerly returned to Sasa's with friends; everyone looked forward to another delicious experience. That did not happen. Some of our selections were very good; others missed the mark. Good: Brentwood corn side dish, grilled salmon special, scallops. Not so good: Heirloom tomato salad (tomatoes were tough), beef special was like a beef stew (poorly done). Sushi diners (not me) gave their selections an OK -- not great, but good. The main dining room has a nice vibe, but was particularly quiet. Upon entering, the smell of seafood (on the not good "fishy" side) was very noticeable. There are too few vegetable dishes on the menu. Sauces seem to be the result of a heavy hand. Service was fine. We will not return immediatelySpecial Features:
- Great foodTabTVIPDined on 7/2/2014Bluefin was great; hamachi not so much. Small plates were nicely prepared and presentation was good. An enjoyable venue to spend with family and friends. Overall great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddinewaytoooftenVIPDined on 7/2/2014The main room is very attractive, the back room is not. The food had potential but poorly prepped little attention to detail. The lettuce on the lettuce wraps was still dripping with water but the shrimp was good. The Poke tasted like it had been cut yesterday. Very mushy and lacked any textureSpecial Features:
- Diner25VIPDined on 6/28/2014The variety was amazing and each selection was excellent. Our server was very knowledgable about how to navigate the menu and extremely gracious in her service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.