1432 N. Main Street
Walnut Creek, CA 94596Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sasawc.com/
- Phone: 9252100188x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Hours Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Lunch Hours Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner Hours Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Dinner Hours Sunday-Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Dinner Hours Friday and Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Mid Afternoon Menu EVERYDAY: 3:00pm - 4:00pm
Happy Hour Daily: 3:00pm - 6:00pm at Bar and Lounge
*Sushi Menu Available ALL DAY, EVERYDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Philip Yang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Sasa Restaurant combines seasonal menu selections, flawless service, and attentive planning to create a truly memorable event. From business luncheons to stunning weddings and formal events, we offer the inspiration, attention to detail, and culinary creativity that will make your moment shine. Planning an event doesn’t need to be stressful. Let us help. Our Event Coordinator, Lori Johnston, will help with all the details that make this day so special.
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a semi-private space with seating capacity of 40. We also offer a private garden patio setting with space for 32.
- Private Party Contact: Lori Johnston 9252100188x
- Special Events: Sasa cordially invites you to an exclusive "Diner en Blanc" New Years Eve 2012. Cost is $75 + tax and gratuity. Dinner, DJ, dancing, favors, and champagne toast are all included. Call Sasa to book early at 925.210.0188.
A word from Sasa
Sasa is a new Japanese inspired restaurant in Walnut Creek. Izakaya Restaurants are traditional small plate restaurants where friends go to have a drink and unwind after a long day. Situated in the historic 100 year old building that for many years housed the Walnut Creek Meat Market, this architectural jewel has been transformed into a ambiance that wows and invites guests to stay and enjoy the dining experience at SASA. Chef Cyrus Irudistan and Chef/Owner Philip Yang prepare Japanese influenced dishes from around the world. The staff welcomes you into their house and offers up comfort, hospitality and fun. The restaurant includes a full bar with a large Sake selection, outdoor patio, sushi bar and a commitment to fresh local seasonal faire.Continued
*Note: Personal wines welcome, a $20 corkage fee will apply per bottle
*Note: Personal wines welcome, a $20 corkage fee will apply per bottle
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Sasa reviews from OpenTable diners
115 reviews since April 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (75)special occasion (50)hot spot (40)neighborhood gem (39)good for groups (37)vibrant bar scene (37)romantic (36)great for outdoor dining (35)great for lunch (32)late-night find (16)notable wine list (11)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Not a great bang for your buckOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is lovely, with nice decor, and notably, sculptural sinks in the bathrooms. We ordered the Miso Black Cod, the Garlic Noodles, Mushroom Miso Soup, the steak, the chicken drumettes ("Chicken Lollipops"), skewers, and and All Season roll. The drumettes came first - they were coated in a sweet sauce, and the portion was only six drumettes. We then had the steak, which was again, small, but the steak was nice and rare. Finally, the Miso Soup was way too small, the cod was excellent, and the noodles were way too pricey for what you get. I recommend the steak, the cod, and the All Season roll (has real crab). Our waitress was absent when we tried to pay the bill. Overall, the food was good, but highly overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- Sure winmaggiefiDined on 8/10/2014One of my favorite restaurants in my neighborhood and in downtown Walnut Creek. The sushi is always excellent, the service is generally great, and they have some fantastic cocktails and house-made wasabi. The ambience is lovely--a well designed and well lit space. And the outdoor patio seating is a bonus. Sasa delivers quality on a consistent basis…a sure win.Special Features:
- Very good sushi, but $$$. Cramped.byrdyDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I love sushi and wanted to try Sasa after hearing recommendations. For us, we didn't like the tables being 2ft away from each other and hearing the other couples conversations while we tried to have ours. The sashimi was really good. The rolls were expensive and slightly above average. There's better out there. The bananas foster bread pudding was ridiculously good. Probably one of the best bread puddings I have ever had. Overall the restaurant is more bar like than a typical sushi restaurant. Our server was fantastic. Clearly a professional server, attentive, knew the menu and specials well, and was knowledgable about the wine. I think that without him I might have rated the experience even lower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience; menu OKTGSODined on 8/9/2014Western (i.e. good) wait service for typically Asian fare with a gastro twist. As a sushi restaurant, there are better. Same can be said for the izakaya offerings. Entree items are balanced and appropriately cooked, though leaning towards the blander side. The food is good, the decor is smart, but it's overall experience that makes this place's value. Otherwise, Sasa will seem overpriced to the well-traveled bay area diner seeking only to please the palate.Special Features:
- Nice Dining on PatioFineDiningFanDined on 8/8/2014We sat out on the patio which was very enjoyable and much quieter than the inside of the restaurant which is pretty loud for us. Our favorite dish was the Toro Sashimi and the Lettuce Wrapped Tempura Prawns. Amazing sauce and flavor. The watermelon salad was very refreshing and flavorful. We had a great time and excellent food.Special Features:
- Exquisite: delicious food & serviceDoctorZDined on 8/8/2014Shannon, Jason, Dale and crew deliver an ever pleasing dining experience every time. Can't wait to see what the new chef brings to the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food every timemstargirlDined on 8/7/2014We dine here regularly, about once a week. Food is always amazing and tastes delicious every time. However, sometimes service is very slow. We kept having to ask for refills on water & tea. It took a long time to get the check from the server. Not sure why service was so poor.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Food was delicious and presented beautifully and very reasonable. Our server was very attentive and pleasant. We sat outside, they made a narrow outside area attractive with plants and lattice and we really weren't aware that we were next to a traffics pathway. Only drawback, the parking is limited. There is a public structure about 1 1/2 blocks away. An enjoyable and delightful lunch!!Special Features:
- DonnieDined on 8/6/2014We went to Sasa last night. It was a nice festive environment. We had five in our party and ordered nine rolls to share. Tasty, but only a B- on the grade scale . Small portions, so not good for a groups. Very pricey. cheapest wine on their wine list was $40.00. We got it and it was very good, so I assume the other more expensive wines were wonderful. All in all it was a fun dinner, but I pity the poor guy stuck with the bill. Oops that was us. $$$$$ I left hungry and my son ate again when he got home. That means I paid twice! Good part is my son felt happy on his birthday, and that is what counts.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerjeffDined on 8/6/2014In all ways excellent with wonderful server.food was outstanding and saki was superb.Special Features:
- Every Japenese Food Lovers DreamOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014The food was incredible and the decor gorgeous. My new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chris was great!BentDined on 8/2/2014Our Server Chris was great. Just the right amount of humor with good info about the food selections.Special Features:
- Amazing!mangiamoDined on 7/26/2014Always great attentive service. They have lots of fun dishes to try for foodies, they even have a section on the menu called "Odd Things" for the adventurous eaters. Love this place!Special Features:
- Untraditional, Not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/23/2014I've been to hundreds of sushi restaurants and I can honestly say this lands in the bottom third. For the price paid, it's likely in the bottom 2%. Why? I can deal with the non traditional menu that reeks of an overly Americanized sushi place trying to meet all needs so long as The quality of the fish is up to par. Their sushi is mealy and has a fishy odor. Quality sushi is translucent, firm yet creamy and has a slight briny scent. The heirloom tomato salad was awful and their lunch specials are gimmicky. $75 for two people at lunch and I'd rather eat Trader Joes selection. Yeah, it's that bad. Service is solid though which is why I gave two stars
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/22/2014Read the reviews and wanted something special for a birthday dinner. Most of us are huge sushi fans. Variety of small plates was a plus (one person in party not a sushi fan), but for the sushi fans, while nothing bad, were not overly impressed.
- Always Goodmmfm01Dined on 7/21/2014This was my 4th time at SASA, it continually delivers. Great fresh unique food, Small plates, Big flavor. Service was solid and parking surprisingly easy right to the south ally of the restaurant. Two things I liked best was the quality of the ingredients, and the fun spin on items. We had the eggplant which was spectacular as the rolls are every time. Mike MacSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, HORRIBLE serv by VeraBilly2013VIPDined on 7/17/2014Great food as usual, but the most HORRIBLE service by very abrupt & obnoxious & absent & disappearing server "Vita." She forgot MANY items, snippy when spoken to, gone 2nd half of meal, I think she gone SMOKING...DISASTER! She even told us of the MANY WC places she has worked in recent years...seems unstable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great repeat visitMiswuVIPDined on 7/12/2014Excellent innovative menu, sushi and sake menu. Wonderful repeat visit with the family!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerHealthyWeathyWiseDined on 7/11/2014Our waiter helped us select several plates to share and finished with a selection of desserts to share. We loved every dish and the service made it a fun experience.Special Features:
- Outdoor seatingSushiisrawDined on 7/7/2014My wife and I sat outside. There was no need for a reservation on a monday night but I had made one just in case. The outdoor seating area was great and I would go again for drinks and for the lettuce wraps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and cocktailslynnelizVIPDined on 7/6/2014I went with 2 others and we shared small plates. It was a really great dinner.Special Features:
- JupiterJaneOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/6/2014I have always enjoyed my dining time at Sasa. The negative reviews were most surprising to yours truly. We all have "bad days". I encourage diners to give Sasa another try. Our waitress, Dale, was a delight, knowledgable and added to our wonderful dining experience. Our guests from San Francisco & LA, also gave their first time dining with Sasa, a "thumbs up"! "Freshness of the fish, outstanding wine selection, decadent desserts!"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnevenDineWellVIPDined on 7/5/2014We eagerly returned to Sasa's with friends; everyone looked forward to another delicious experience. That did not happen. Some of our selections were very good; others missed the mark. Good: Brentwood corn side dish, grilled salmon special, scallops. Not so good: Heirloom tomato salad (tomatoes were tough), beef special was like a beef stew (poorly done). Sushi diners (not me) gave their selections an OK -- not great, but good. The main dining room has a nice vibe, but was particularly quiet. Upon entering, the smell of seafood (on the not good "fishy" side) was very noticeable. There are too few vegetable dishes on the menu. Sauces seem to be the result of a heavy hand. Service was fine. We will not return immediatelySpecial Features:
- Great foodTabTVIPDined on 7/2/2014Bluefin was great; hamachi not so much. Small plates were nicely prepared and presentation was good. An enjoyable venue to spend with family and friends. Overall great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddinewaytoooftenVIPDined on 7/2/2014The main room is very attractive, the back room is not. The food had potential but poorly prepped little attention to detail. The lettuce on the lettuce wraps was still dripping with water but the shrimp was good. The Poke tasted like it had been cut yesterday. Very mushy and lacked any textureSpecial Features:
- Diner25VIPDined on 6/28/2014The variety was amazing and each selection was excellent. Our server was very knowledgable about how to navigate the menu and extremely gracious in her service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second visits aren't always great!woohooVIPDined on 6/26/2014We went for late lunch in Apr. Food and ambiance were very good. Service was exceptional from female bartender, to waiter and busboy. This time the waiter seemed spacey and indifferent, but the busboy was great.Special Features:
- luv2dine2Dined on 6/25/2014Bottom line; over priced, fish wasn't fresh, half shell oysters were partially frozen, and the rice was al dente.. I wont be going back....and I wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:
- Pretty good but...catgetsdownDined on 6/24/2014We'd read a lot of reviews which raved about the food. It is ZAGAT rated. We had a reservation at were seated immediately. We were given our choice of seating as we were earlier than the usual dinner crowd. The server was very nice and offered specials and fresh fish information. We started with some sushi - incredible! Excellent! We should have ordered only sushi/sashimi. We moved on to an appetizer of scallops tatami. The scallops were excellent but the sauce was too salty and rich for the already-rich scallops. English-pea dumplings. This was my least favorite of the dishes - too rich and too salty. Gindara Misoyaki. Sauce too salty. Stick with the sushi and sashimi which are incredibly fresh and beautifully presented.Special Features:
- Good SushiDineoutqueenVIPDined on 6/23/2014The food here is consistently good. The duck confit wraps are delicious. The drinks are adequate. The sushi rolls are usually 8 pieces which is perfect for a table for 4. We like to dine here because the food is very good but the service is always sketchy. Sometimes good and sometimes barely adequate. I think if they improved on their service, it would be a much better experience.Special Features:
- Bad, bad, badyuckDined on 6/21/2014Food was extremely poor; sushi was warm/hot, beef skewers were tasteless and raw; tuna roll tasted artificial - prices were too high
- MCRCVIPDined on 6/19/2014Love this place! Food is fabulous and service is funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChunsVIPDined on 6/16/2014Sasa is a gem! what makes it so special, beyond the wonderful, inventive japanese food, is the service. the wait staff are all professionals. service is impeccable and everyone is kind. they anticipate your needs. we went this time to celebrate our anniversary and everyone in the restaurant knew it and congratulated us! very unusual.Special Features:
- Great energySushilover1Dined on 6/12/2014We came to Sasa for my daughters graduation dinner. We had a great time. I highly recommend the sushi rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will not returnNotafanDined on 6/7/2014Waiter was a used car salesman and sushi was some of the worst I have ever had - mediocre quality and cheap cuts for top dollar
- Good food bad waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 6/7/2014We hadn't gone to Sasa in some time due to the overall cost and the poor service we had last visit. It was a warm Saturday and thought some tapas and rice beer sounded good. Not sure how fair my rating is on service because we ended up with the same waiter as before. Food was good as usual and the menu had some new items. You just don't realize how large the final bill is going to be since it is tapas style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AvidDinerVIPDined on 6/7/2014Sadly, It is not what is used to be ... the service was slow, too busy with party in the back and food just barely OK... very sad and really disappointed for husband's birthday lunch...
- small platesdinerDined on 6/1/2014Love their small plates. Tempura shrimp lettuce wraps and crispy pork belly are favorites. It is nice to sit on the patio to enjoy the nice weather. Service is always friendly and superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- C-KJJJJDined on 5/30/2014The food was ok. Service was ok. Ambiance was great. Would I go again? No.Special Features:
- out of pateomnivorous12Dined on 5/30/2014The food was excellent except they were out of chicken liver pate. The cocktails were amazing.Special Features: