13120 Shaker Square
Cleveland, OH 44120Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.sasamatsu.com/
- Phone: 2167671111
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - Midnight, Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian
- Executive Chef: Scott Kim
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please email email@example.com or call us 216.767.1111 for details.
- Private Party Facilities: SASA offers a semi private dining room that can accommodate up to 40 guests. The restaurant is available for special events for up to 100 guests during lunch time hours. Please contact SASA for details.
- Private Party Contact: Brenda Kim (216) 225-9366
- Entertainment: A variety of some of Cleveland's most talented artists. A mix of jazz, vocalists & other contemporary style music.
A word from SASA
SASA..... a Japanese tapas style restaurant serving contemporary Asian cuisine. Located right next door to Shaker Square Cinema, SASA is the perfect place for a small meal, dinner or late night snacks. SASA offers an array of tastes from Japan and an Asian spin on tasty classics. Known as Cleveland's premier sake bar, SASA also offers Japanese beer on tap, exotic drinks such as an Asian pear martini & delicious favorites. Welcome to SASA.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
SASA reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (30)fit for foodies (24)special occasion (15)hot spot (15)romantic (13)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (12)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Amazing!jeannieabcDined on 10/18/2014I am not a fan of sushi, but my husband is, so we went to SASA for the first time. We were both VERY happy with our meal, drinks, service. It was an outstanding evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Flavors!LadiesDined on 10/17/2014We enjoyed a wonderful special dinner with our son. During Parents/Homecoming Weekend for Cas Western. We enjoyed dinner with you during move in time and we're really looking forward to another wonderful meal this time. When we visit from California you are at the top of our list!! We will be back;-)Special Features:
- Great food and vibeConoVIPDined on 10/10/2014Creative cuisine and nice service. Attractive decorationsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome, as usual!MelleuVIPDined on 10/6/2014Love this place. Go there all the time. Best sushi in town. The clientele is a mix of people who are employed by the surrounding hospitals, museums, orchestra, etc... I just love it.Special Features:
- Liked it, but very loudMerfishVIPDined on 10/6/2014Liked it, but the service was very slow, and it was extremely loud. I think the food was very good once I got it. Drink menu was very robust. I would call it a hot spot for sure, but definitely not a place to go if you are looking for a quiet conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of My FavoritesWe157204Dined on 10/4/2014Sasa is one of my favorite restaurants in Cleveland. Its modern decor somehow manages to still be inviting and cozy. The food is always great - I've never had a bad meal here. Some notable favorites: the Sasa fire roll, spicy dynamite roll, and the rock. You absolutely have to order the fries here! It sounds weird, but trust me on the fries. Not your typical sushi restaurant. Definitely worth a try - Sasa will quickly become one of your favorites too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good sushiSupermanDined on 9/19/2014Food is delicious. survice is very good. The only set back is the very strong food aroma when the restaurant is crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Rolls!CSTEINDined on 9/6/2014The sushi rolls were delicious! The service was excellent! The atmosphere was nice too!Special Features:
- Gem at Shaker SquareKgngDined on 9/1/2014Great service, wonderful menu and reasonably priced. This is where you take out-of-towners to show a great Cleveland restaurant.Special Features:
- Good but not greatFoodieDined on 8/31/2014I go to SASA pretty regularly, and this time I decided to try some of the new items on the menu like the flatbreads. Everything that we ordered was good, but nothing was really great. For the price we paid, I really expected more. Next time, I'll stick with my favorite sushi rolls (which are not cheap either).Special Features:
- In a Class of it's OwnShakerNeighborDined on 8/15/2014SASA is an all round fantastic neighborhood gem. The food is superb, and it's a comfortable place to linger over a meal with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night SpotdatingoutDined on 8/8/2014SASA is located in Shake Square which offers a lot of options for after dinner activities. The food is very good, albeit a little over priced. The atmosphere is very great mix between modern hip and chill. Service was great and very friendly, also there is complimentary parking which is a great find. A good find if you don't mind spending a little bit of money!Special Features:
- Good Japanese food in ClevelandEstroVIPDined on 8/7/2014Very Good food, good service, good alcohol. it was a fun experience during my Cleveland visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!MelleuVIPDined on 7/3/2014Absolutely fabulous. Great food. Wonderful people. Really interesting and educated bunch from Nearby hospitals and universities. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Alway great food!thompke1Dined on 7/3/2014I have yet to be disappointed. The is always consistant and fantastic!Special Features:
- The following 259 reviews are from the SASA reviews archive.
- Fabulous SASAMamaBevDined on 6/29/2014SASA never fails to surprise and never disappoints! I took reluctant newbies there and they LOVED it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual sushi that tastes greatvhinpghVIPDined on 6/27/2014We had really unusual sushi that was very good -- the Buddy Buddy was salmon, tuna,tobiko, and ikura and was wonderful. The other was Snow mountain (tempura shrimp and cucumber topped with Alaskan king crab and masago salad) and was also very good. I did not like the avocado salad because it had a bland mayo based dressing, but overall, the restaurant was very good. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/27/2014Had some delicious sushi. Outside patio was pleasant. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- THE BEST!ssrcmrVIPDined on 6/27/2014We eat here often and have never been disappointed. The choices are many, the food is beautifully and creatively presented and outstandingly delicious.Special Features:
- Sasa Delivers.................FrantasticDined on 6/20/2014So nice and comforting to go to a neighborhood place that transports you to another culture, another place,yet is friendly and warm. Sasa delivers great foods and beverages without being fussy and feeling like date night for the prom. Great food, service and atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemnocrayonsDined on 5/31/2014A great addition to Shaker Square, this restaurant offers an interesting mix of Asian foods that had us coming back to explore the menu. While we did see a few children here and there, the menu is definitely not toddler friendly in that it is not bland at all. The dining area indoors was peaceful, and the staff were very responsive.Special Features:
- We love sasaLuvsasaDined on 5/30/2014Sasa is a great locally owned restaurant with amazing food, a wonderful atmosphere, and great employees. We will return again for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT DINNERLOVESASADined on 5/28/2014WE HAD A WONDERFUL DINNER AND OVERALL HAD A GREAT TIME.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe don't sit on the patioMego410Dined on 5/25/2014The food is creative and tasty- not your average Sushi restaurant. Service was slow at first, it took a while for anyone to come check in on us, but it picked up once they took our drink order. After that it was great. I'm not sure I can recommend sitting on the patio... the gazebo thing makes it feel crowded, plus the Shaker Square crowd outside the movie theater is varied and not really quiet. This latter is not really the restaurants fault, just an FYI. Plus the interior of Sasa is so nice, you may as well just stay inside.Special Features:
- Great restaurantMabjDined on 5/25/2014The food is delicious and the service is great. The menu has something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you go with a group ( we had 8 people) or as a couple, you will enjoy your experience. Sasa is truly a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Sasa: our go-to placehoneybadgerDined on 5/23/2014We have loved the restaurants of Scott and Brenda Kim since they opened Matsu. The food is always fresh and creative in preparation. Our local grandkids devour the sushi. Those families from out of town always come with us to Sasa when visiting. Sasa is the best. For those who do not like sushi, the restaurant offers fun things like the "hot rock" cook it yourself beef or tempura shrimp and veggies. While I miss the great in-house gelato that was a dessert favorite, there are always some good choices of creme brulee and chocolate options that people love. Do not miss the Sasa fries (and this from someone who does not like fries) or the avocado-shrimp salad. Before you dine try a lime misuari or one of the many martinis available.Special Features:
- Great as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014Service is exceptional and friendly. Food is fun and always delicious. Fun small plates to share. The best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaryDined on 5/10/2014This restaurant is fantastic! The food is delicious! Service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great MealDecentDined on 5/2/2014They have a unique menu with some of the best sushi in Cleveland. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Restaurant in CleAlyseVIPDined on 4/26/2014Everything is amazing but our favorite things to order, The Rock, The Sasa Fire Roll, Sasa Fries and the Lamb Sliders...the plum sakatini isn't so bad either!Special Features:
- Love itMelleuVIPDined on 4/24/2014Great food. Great staff. Friendly clientele. Love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable and creativeBobHeightsDined on 4/4/2014Whether our family just wants to go sample favorites or venture into untested entrees, SASA always delivers. Our daughter took five friends for a birthday celebration recently. All were new to SASA. They encouraged each other to try new things and a great time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good mealcryderDined on 3/15/2014Went for a fixed menu special. All seafood was very good. Friendly service, rushed through the courses a bit. Dessert green tea ice cream mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Despite bad reviews...wow!!!Adrianne415Dined on 3/15/2014One of the best meals we've ever had. Came here for hubby's birthday and I am not a fan of sushi at all so I had low expectations. Some reviews were pretty bad so I was nervous the food would be "iffy." Food was AMAZING!! Service was great and very friendly and prompt. We had the yam tempura, so good, as an appetizer. I ordered the vegetarian sushi roll and the tofu sliders.....both were excellent! And fun! My hubby had a spider roll, rainbow roll and a spicy tuna roll and he said they were among the best he's eaten--and he knows his sushi, he's originally from Vancouver, known for wonderful sushi. All in all, a great experience. Will definitely go again!Special Features:
- drinks are very well madeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2014drinks are very well made as well as the food, very pleasant waitress. Thanks! for being in the Neighborhood.Special Features:
- Lovely - Well crafted sushiparhelionDined on 2/16/2014Tried vietnamese roll (unusual!) and volcano roll which were both prepared very well. I don't particularly care for raw / sashimi preparations, in which majority of the specialty rolls available on menu incorporated raw tuna or salmon. There were a handful of maki (cooked) options, and these two maki options were excellent, however. One of the better places I have tried sushi in Ohio. The restaurant is actually larger than expected with a good number and well spaced seating. Decor is contemporary and pleasing. The parking situation in front of the restaurant was busy, but there are plenty of spaces available behind the plaza with an easy access to the front. I recommend giving SASA a try! I will likely happily visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VALENTINE'S DINNEROpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014We had booked the table on line. Everything was perfect. Restaurant was packed. Good for them. We did not mind to wait a little bit. People were leaving. And we saw couple of empty tables. We have asked hostess for table by the window. She explained that table was booked. It did not sound right. It was 9:30pm. Restaurant was not packed at that time. We sat down by the smallest table even then they had better options. We did not complain. Our server was Nick. He was awesome. Thank you for your service. Food was fabulous. We had really good dinner. Except hostess. We have left before 11pm. That table was still vacant. She even did not apologize. She did not have name tag so we did not know her name.Special Features:
- great sushishusDined on 2/14/2014everything was wonderful! our favorite was the lamb slinder. definitely going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great under pressurePmacDined on 2/14/2014We dined on Valentines Day and even though there wasn't an empty seat in the place we got our food very quickly and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMikeDined on 2/14/2014Second visit and Both we great Not a sushi fan but plenty of other choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.