234 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sardis.com/
- Phone: (212) 221-8440
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sardi's
In the heart of New York's Theatre District, Sardi's has been the toast of Broadway since 1921. Featuring continental cuisine, we are open Tuesday through Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Sardi's reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (99)neighborhood gem (89)good for groups (68)hot spot (64)late-night find (56)great for lunch (54)fit for foodies (47)romantic (19)great for brunch (19)kid-friendly (16)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (10)Show More
- A Theatrical Treat!DiningDivaDined on 11/23/2014Always fun dining at Sardi's surrounded by the famous caricatures of Broadway's stars. The cannelloni is delicious and the service is always impeccable. Be sure to tell them what time your curtain is and they will get you there on time! It's always our go-to-place when we're seeing a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an experience restaurant not a place for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014It's an experience restaurant not a place for food. The food wasn't anything interesting. The sirloin was tough, so was the asparagus and the mashed potatoes were just blah. The experience was super fun it's very old hollywood/broadway and the service was perfect but the food was just not a reason to go twice.
- Always Great!akc72stDined on 11/22/2014We knew we could rely on the great food and ambiance of Sardi's for a pre-show lunch when we had visitors here from Madrid recently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a broadway classicOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/21/2014we were pleasantly surprised at how good the food and service was when we went for pretheater dinner. nothing haute or ultra gourmet but good solid tasty food with decent portions and very nice service. the atmosphere and ambiance is a load of fun and we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A classic gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/18/2014We had a pre-theater dinner at Sardi's. Neither my wife or I had been there for years. The great broadway ambiance still lived. You could imagine the professional theater crowd gathering after their shows. The walls are still covered with caricatures of hundreds of famous people- so fun to look at. Its a bit of history, this gem. The service was top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for touristsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/18/2014As with many native New Yorkers, there are many famous places I have never visited. Some I would be embarrassed to mention. We brought our English relatives to Sardi's because it is a famous New York landmark. We were not disappointed. The restaurant looks exactly the way I thought it would. We were there for the atmosphere not the food although the food wasn't bad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014I look forward to going back again and again. Service was friendly and fast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Assembly lineMonkeysocksDined on 11/15/2014We went early on a Saturday for dinner, and they were already packed. It felt like an assembly line all the way through. They just seem to get as many people in, then out, as possible. We were told that they can't substitute (potato wedges for mashed, for example) because the kitchen couldn't handle it. When the meals came out, the plates were hot. It seems clear that in the kitchen, they're working kind of cafeteria-style, making up the dishes and sitting them under heat lamps until needed. No individual attention. As for the food, well, it was adequate. There was plenty of it. But the pork was over cooked, and my mom's scallops had sand in them. It's a venerated old theater district restaurant, and it's resting on it's laurels.
- Love and MarriagePSFarquahrDined on 11/14/2014Like the words from that classic song "Love and Marriage", Sardi's and Broadway are still meant to go together. My wife and I had dinner there before seeing a show and the experience was as well-crafted and pleasureable as any show on Broadway. From immediate seating to prompt service to attention to detail and continued assurance that all was right, the staff were phenomenal. And the food? Superb. This iconic establishment certainly lives up to the hype and the caricatures that abound in its space truly make you feel as though you are among the stars. Love and marriage definitely go together, just as much as Sardi's and Broadway. Well-done people!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Historic But DissappointingDickyBeeVIPDined on 11/13/2014We went to Sardi's after a show to experience this historic place. The look was what we expected and did provide that old-school Broadway feel. The service was okay. The big disappointment was the food. I had the Chicken Scaloppine and it was dry and didn't have much flavor. My wife had a soup and the quesadilla appetizer and she was disappointed with both. There was a nice group of late-night diners there so the place still draws people in. My guess is that it's more for the feel than the food.Special Features:
- ClassicOxideZoZoVIPDined on 11/12/2014It's fun to go and ogle the theater celebrity portraits that just about cover every inch of wall space here. Given the atmosphere and history, the food stands on its own. Everything was well-prepared and quite tasty. Portions were ample. A nice dessert to share is the house-made cookie plate.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The most reliable and entertaining NY restaurantPatsyVIPDined on 11/12/2014Sardi's has it all for us: good food which is well-served in a fun atmosphere. We know to ask for the prix fixe lunch menu....a three=course and coffee for $30.00. This is truly a bargain considering the great quality of Sardi's offerings,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingCubanGalVIPDined on 11/11/2014If you must see charicatures of old performers, then go - service was not available as needed although the restaurant was only about half full. Food was of mediocre quality.Special Features:
- Nostalgia may not be worth itFoodFanDined on 11/8/2014Fun to see an iconic place with the wonderful caricatures surrounding the tables. But, do not go there for the food. French onion soup with a sodden slice of bread in the bottom of the bowl and a huge gluey glob of cheese solidifying on the top was the start. The 'famous' beef cannoli tasted like Chef Boyardee canned ravioli. And the vegetable lasagne had tiny pieces of unidentifiable veggies, but tasted mostly like green peppers. Again with the thick layer of gluey cheese. If you must go, don't expect a culinary treat, order as little as possible, and enjoy searching for your favorite stars likeness. Been once, won't go again.
- Classic BroadwayBarbaraJADined on 11/8/2014Lots of fun, with a casual elegant feel. Food is good, but portions are too small considering the high prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An icon.Szrhnds1Dined on 11/8/2014Nice atmosphere, good food. They need a better wine list for late afternoon dining. Service was very good as we were taken care of by the older bald gentleman. It was all very nice until..... After we settled our bill! We tipped him 25% as he deserved. I am pretty upset because as we were leaving, the staff, along with our waiter were standing in the entry way to the dining room surrounding a gentlemen coming in. We had to find our way through them all. We were literally ignored and treated very rudely as we left. It was embarrassing! An awful ending to a perfect day of a show and early dinner with my husband. Sardi's can do better!Special Features:
- Legendarynickname1VIPDined on 11/6/2014Sardi's is not famous for its food, but it has acceptable food. It is famous for, well, being famous, and thus is a legend worthy of operating in the theater district forever. No surprises otherwise, and they get you to the curtain on time. So do your part and go from time to time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly IconCortlandterDined on 11/6/2014Hadn't been to Sardi's in years and was concerned that with its iconic status the staff would be stuffy and arrogant. Not at all! Starting right at the front door everyone was friendly and effective. Our server was careful to note when we had to leave to make our show. The menu offers many interesting options; some entrées are available as appetizers, there were many specials that Thursday, there's a $50 prix fix option, and even a hamburger! You can't beat the location if you're going to a show and you never know who you'll see at the next table!
- Superb experience at Sardi's!JerseyGirlWhoLovesNYCDined on 11/6/2014Ambiance, dining, and service was wonderful! My daughter and I dined at Sardi's after a day of shopping and before heading to the theatre for an evening performance of Les Miz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic pre-show diningCattisDined on 11/5/2014A classic show business dining place in the middle of the theater district. Try Sardi's apetizer platter! Excellent service. Wonderful ambiance. Perfect location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just blahOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2014We decided to give this place a try for the significance of the establishment to the broadway community. It was not terrible but after spending a week in NYC and dinning in some pretty spectacular places this fell terribly short. Very mediocre.
- fiveeasyeaters5easyeatersDined on 11/2/2014We visited for anniversary dinner: both meals (cannelloni and scallops), as well as service were exceptional. We consider other dining options but always return to Sardis for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!Suzanne537Dined on 11/2/2014My husband and I went to Sardis for our 23rd wedding anniversary on a Sunday at 1pm, before seeing a musical. The restaurant was about half full and calm. Service and food was impeccable. The special menu offerings for the day, rounded out the fairly sparse set, lunch menu, making it very complete. As a pre-show meal, I was happy to see very few families with young children. I have kids of my own, but sometimes I just want a quiet and calm restaurant experience. And surprisingly, not as expensive as I had thought it would be. A delicious and very enjoyable time. I'm so happy we visited Sardis and we will certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great NYC ambiance; good foodlovethecityDined on 11/1/2014We went pre theater on a rainy night since this was one block away from our theater. We know of Sardi's (it's quite an historic brand) but have never tried it. Turned out to be a great experience. The ambiance was very New York with walls filled with drawings of celebrities and politicians. It had a pub like feel to it although it was a large venue. The food was good and the service was excellent. Prices were decent for NYC. Great location in the heart of the theater district. We will definitely go back and I would recommend it.Special Features:
- Historic BroadwayNYNewbieDined on 10/31/2014Super experience! This historic restaurant has loads of ambiance. The famous caricatures make you feel you are dining with celebrities -- and you may well be! Our servers were friendly, helpful, and efficient. Excellent food. Served quickly to make our theatre time, but we never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!!PippiVIPDined on 10/30/2014Sardi's always precedes the theatre for us. Broadway and Sardi's go together. The food and service are consistent and we are welcomed warmly.Special Features:
- We'll be backMeSeaDined on 10/30/2014Many trips to NYC but our first time eating here and is was a great pre theater dinner for the two of us. Great service didn't feel rushed had time for dessert and no problems getting to the theater on time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrammyVIPDined on 10/29/2014This venerable establishment has been around for a long time with good reason. It is an oasis of quiet, excellent service and very good food in an area that sadly lacks all of those qualities. Not cheap, but as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for", namely, a good, quiet relaxing lunch in the middle of the squalid theater district.Special Features:
- Iconic GemMartiniMe64Dined on 10/28/2014We went to Sardi's after going to a play...we thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance, décor and yummy food. It was fun to dine in a little bit of history.Special Features:
- Fun, classy, okBobbyVIPDined on 10/28/2014We go to the theater on Broadway. People dress like they're going to a Mets game. It's sad. You walk into Sardi's and you're transported back in time to the pre-sixties. The space and staff are elegant. It's nice. Service is attentive (and cute, we had an adorable young lady server). It's quiet, a respite from the throngs outside. Therefore, service and ambiance = five stars. Food on the other hand could use an upgrade. My guest had the spaghetti with chicken. She felt it was no different than what she could produce at home. I had the cannelloni. It was good (much different from a St. Louis version) but a bit skimpy on the portion for $25 with no added items. We had the chocolate mousse for dessert it was very good. We will return.Special Features:
- Sardi's Unplanned Birthday DinnerRekindlingDined on 10/25/2014Strolling through Times Square and the Theater District for the first time ever on a special birthday trip to NYC. Saw Sardi's and we were able to make OpenTable reservations with 30 minutes notice! Fantastic corner booth table for two, and terrific service and food. All service staff members were very attentive and cordial...the waiter taking our order could use some social skills training, but we didn't have to interact with him again after he took our orders! We each had the main course sautéed sea scallops...I opened with the garlic shrimp and my date enjoyed the endive salad. Generous portions and very delicious. We shared the creme brûlée. It was a memorable birthday dinner. Thank you!Special Features:
- Opening night!!!Smiths1959Dined on 10/25/2014We had a wonderful time celebrating a few birthdays at once!!! The staff could not have been nicer, made us feel very much at home!!! Food was excellent. They came out singing happy birthday with a delicious large piece of cake for the birthday celebrants, OverAll, a very happy and memorable event!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SunshineDined on 10/25/2014The food, service and history was a treat to experience. We were a little late and was accommodated right away. Quick service from waitress, friendly, and excellent food. Wonderful location, could walk to theatre, first time eating there and would certainly go back and recommend it to friends/family.Special Features:
- Great pre-show dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/25/2014Perfect location for pre-show dinner, Prosciutto appetizer and both Cannelloni dishes were great. Historic restaurant too, Best of Broadway!
- UniqueUpstatevisitorDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed the caricatures of the Broadway stars. Our waiters were excellent. The food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unbeatable for pre-theaterTheaterBuffVIPDined on 10/24/2014Sardi's is unmatched for proximity to a number of Broadway theaters, and always produces a good meal, and a friendly greeting and snappy service to go along with it.
- Good pre-theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Food and service good, except we asked for a "signature Sardi" drink, and the waiter response was negative. The bar did not stock some common wines which we requested. Disappointing.Special Features:
- RonjjVIPDined on 10/22/2014Sardi's is a New York institution and should not be missed. We eat there as often as we can and have always had a wonderful experience. It is everything you would expect it to be. Make sure you have a few pre-dinner drinks in the upstairs bar. It is a great place to meet very interesting=people and the bartenders are very affable and mix excellent drinks. Dining at Sardi's is always worth the trip.Special Features:
- Great spot before a show!LUVNYCDined on 10/19/2014We stopped here under recommendation from friends before a show. Wonderful! The food was fabulous, service was delightful and dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EMarsDined on 10/18/2014Sardi's continues to be a favorite for our post-matinee dining! The endive salad was special and delicious. (And - if you need to use the ladies room, it is always immaculate and staffed with a lovely and sweet attendant)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.