234 West 44th Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.sardis.com/
- Phone: 2122218440
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Saturday: 11:30am - 11:30pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 7:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Sardi's
In the heart of New York's Theatre District, Sardi's has been the toast of Broadway since 1921. Featuring continental cuisine, we are open Tuesday through Sunday.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContinental
Sardi's reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)neighborhood gem (86)late-night find (55)good for groups (52)great for lunch (51)fit for foodies (51)hot spot (40)romantic (32)kid-friendly (28)great for brunch (18)notable wine list (14)vibrant bar scene (11)scenic view (7)Show More
- Theater nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014I always enjoy Sardi's when in town on the night we go to the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before theater diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 8/27/2014Went to lunch at famous Sardi 's before afternoon matinee. Not too crowded on a Wed. Pear and walnut salad was very good and so was the appetizer cannelloni. The crabmeat sandwich was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in Theater DistrictOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2014Aewsome restaurant with amazing history. A definite dinner spot during ay visit to NEw York City. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarymaryVIPDined on 8/20/2014The desserts were wonderful! Lunch was unhurried. Staff allowed us to stay to talk as we were 3 long-time friends meeting there for reunion, of sorts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Retro-Classic SpotNYCFoodieDined on 8/16/2014Sardi's has been around forever, and it still hits the mark as the perfect pre or post theatre spot for dinner. The menu has some classics that are hard to find on 21st Century menus. We finished off our dinner with a Baked Alaska flambe, an item that I can't recall having seen on a menu for decades. The caricatures of Broadway greats and New York City politicos sets a fun tone, the staff is experienced and quick, the food predictably good, and the prices remarkably reasonable for the Shubert Alley/ Broadway location near every major theatre.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experienceLindaDined on 8/13/2014I always wanted to dine at Sardi's, so when I had a girlfriend trip to NYC, I made reservations for us for lunch. Our table was ready when we arrived, the staff was great and the food was spectacular. I will definitely go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time all dayThreeolivesDined on 8/9/2014My wife and I had matinee tickets at the theater right across from Sardi's and decided to have pre-show drinks and snacks at the upstairs bar in Sardi's. The bar is great you get a bird-eye view of the street, perfect for people watching, the bartender was excellent and I recommend the quesadillas. After the show we returned. We were early for our 6:15 reservation, so we returned to the bar before being seated. The food was excellent. The staff was attentive and quick, but never felt rushed. The restaurant is jumping before the shows but by 7:30 you could hear a pin drop. Overall it was a fantastic day and I would go back in a heartbeat. BTW save room for the baked Alaska it was so good it should be illegal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REAL NEW YORKERS, LOVE SARDI'SHanaDaHayaDined on 8/9/2014Both born in Manhattan, when we're in the B'way area, we always go to Sardi's for dinner. In addition to the delicious food and wonderful service, the atmosphere is so typically New York, how could we NOT go to Sardi's? We started with a bottle of icy Pino Grigio, sipping it with home made bread and butter. Then I had a shrimp cocktail my husband had the orange/beet/goat cheese salad. Spinach cannelloni is also delicious. Then we split a Caesar salad, wonderful. Entrées were luscious scallops perfectly cooked, my husband had salmon that melted in your mouth. We shared the ice cream cake topped with meringue and served on zabaglione sauce. We love Sardi's and recommend it highly for everyone. SARDI'S IS NOT JUST FOR TOURISTS!Special Features:
- Great ServiceShowJunkiesDined on 8/7/2014The service and attention was outstanding and the novelty is worth stopping by, but the food was eh at best and way over-priced.
- Great Place before a showOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/5/2014We were on a time crunch and needed to attend a broadway show at 7. Staff was very quick at getting our food out quickly. Food was excellent. They have cute little characters on the walls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sardi's was faboulus! Best food!ExtraordinaryDined on 8/5/2014Faboulus food and service, loved everything! Great spot for dinner before theater. We keep thinking of your food and lovely setting, congratulations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family visistOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Great place to take the family when visiting and taking in a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top DrawerTomTerrificDined on 8/2/2014From the Matre De's greeting, to the prompt seating, to the Wait staff every thing set us at ease. Very prompt and informed service to the food itself maid this a special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gigi61Dined on 8/1/2014This is a local landmark and for that reason alone is worth going. This was my sixth time in Sardi's over the past two years. The quality of the food has taken a tremendous slide downward. The young servers are too busy talking to each other and full of themselves and do not make the guest the center of attention. There are so many other restaurants to chose from in Manhattan, so don't rest on your reputation!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everyone Should See This Once!RobesDined on 7/30/2014Pre-theater Dinner was average. The proximity to Broadway good and people watching very interesting.Special Features:
- Pre-Theatre SpecialTrixieDarlingDined on 7/30/2014Sardi's seems to survive on reputation. Thought the characature lined walls are cute, I find the large room somewhat atmosphere less. Anyway the wait staff make up for it - they are highly attentive and tidy as they move great numbers through this landmark restaurant. The food was good, but not particularly memorable. We were a mixed age group and everyone found something they liked on the menu. I had the curry - kind of disappointing but probably should have picked a more traditional selection like cannelloni. Nice selection of deserts and coffee. Even though the food wasn't remarkable, I think Sardi's made for a memorable dining experience. Suitable for family groups, convenient, reservation handled well.Special Features:
- Broadway FavoriteGeorgiaGirlDined on 7/30/2014Our choice for pre-theatre, Sardi's never disappoints when it comes to atmosphere, service and prompt, but unrushed service.Special Features:
- TheaterjunkyLovefoodDined on 7/29/2014The Caesar salad was just okay but the puréed mushroom soup was the best ever!! Perfect late night dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/27/2014Great - but they were not part of Restaurant Week, which was an Opentable error.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014We had a late dinner at Sardis after seeing a Broadway show. The service was excellent and good is good with a menu that offers food types for everyone. I suggest everyone experience Broadway and Sardis!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greathappycouples50thDined on 7/26/2014we had reservations for six o'clock and were seated right away very impressive, our waiter was helpful, and friendly. service was wonderful and would recommend Sardi's to anyone. it was our 50th anniversary and thanks to you it was memorable experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a disappointmentbeachgirlDined on 7/26/2014The waitress was rude and unhelpful. The food was inedible. The prices were way too high for food and service that was that bad.
- Outstanding service, the rest, okaydiningtigerDined on 7/26/2014I had never been to Sardi's, so I was looking forward to it. The highlight was the service - everybody from the maitre'd to the servers to the busboys were outstanding. The food was good (not great) and the atmosphere was "meh". I can see how this might have been a hotspot and a place to be seen 30 or 40 years ago, but it's in need of updating.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/25/2014Iconic spot that is perfect for before or after a Broadway show. The club sandwich was very good and a great Caesar salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIMOM6Dined on 7/25/2014The food was better than we expected, based on the reviews we read. Portion sizes were not overwhelming. Service was quite good except they took forever to bring us our bill at the end of the meal. The caricatures lining the walls were great. Not cheap.
- Everything I expectedLauralovesNYDined on 7/23/2014The caricatures on the wall made it seem like we were dining with celebs. The food and service was impeccable! The price was about right for Manhattan. Perfect example of old New York! Was not disappointed. Definitely lived up to it's reputation! Will definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Theatre-before-the-theatre!foodiefanatic107Dined on 7/23/2014Dining at Sardi's is like a visit to the theatre-before-the-theatre. Good food, attentive service from a professional staff and all the immortals of the theatre gazing down from their caricatures along the walls of the high-ceilinged, dining room. And what a blessing to NOT have to listen to piped in music, drowning out any chance of conversation. I first went here before a matinee of THE KING & I in 1950. 63 years later, it's still an enormous treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sardi's & TheatrePippiVIPDined on 7/22/2014Always enjoy Sardi's before we attend a show. Food, staff, service is great!Special Features:
- NY ExperienceDiningwithflareDined on 7/22/2014Being visitors to NY and growing up in the sixties it was a thrill for us to visit Sardis, a name familair to non New Yorkers due to movies etc. I think if you want to have a New York experience go to Sardis and the theatre. Loved the original atmosphere of old fashioned dining. Food was decent but I do think it is more about the experience. Loved all the pics on the walls and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDanddandDined on 7/22/2014While some may think of Sardi's as a tourist spot, it is a great restaurant that is conviently located in the theater district. The old time Broadway ambience and the great food make it a perfect spot for lunch or dinner. We had great food, great service and we wil definitely go back again!Special Features:
- Always a treatplb1201Dined on 7/20/2014We love coming here either before or after the theatre. Service is always wonderful. I have a food allergy and our waiter was able to tell me what I could have without having to go back to the kitchen to ask chef.Special Features:
- A one time must seekellyambDined on 7/20/2014Sardi's is a historical Broadway hangout. There are wonderful caricature drawings of celebs. Like every other NYC restaurant, it is quite tight, in seating. The food was excellent. The wine list was limited. The staff was a mixture of exceptional and green. The asst. waiter, serving water & bread was exceptional, always quickly replenishing. Our waiter appeared a bit green. At mid meal, when our alcoholic drinks were empty, he never once asked if we would like another. It took him considerable amounts of time to ask if we wanted dessert, bring our check and returning our credit card, after we paid. I did notice that he had a large number of tables that had groups. So he could have been overwhelmed. A one time must, dining experience.Special Features:
- Sparkling!Luv2dineVIPDined on 7/19/2014Aside from its history, the service and food are well done. I highly recommend Sardis for after-theatre dining.Special Features:
- Sardi's Post Theater RushOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/19/2014My son and I actually ate at Sardi's after the pre-theater dining rush on a Saturday night. (we were going to the 10 p.m. performance of Hedwig and the Angry Inch). As a result we had a quieter experience than you will get when Sardi's is packed with theatergoers. The food was very good, came out piping hot. The only complaint about the service would be that as the meal went on the return trips to fill water glasses, drinks, check on us also slowed down. But you can't beat Sardi's for its theater history.Special Features:
- Great place to go before the show!NYVisitor999Dined on 7/18/2014Sardie's is an institution. Great food, rich history. Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodDJDonnaDined on 7/16/2014Excellent food. Iconic location. Just-right sized menu. What's not to love? No complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent place - nothing greatgauamgDined on 7/12/2014This is a decent place but perhaps my expectations were set too high by the glowing reviews everywhere and I was completely underwhelmed. The price reflects the location but certainly not the food or the ambiance. I was there in between the pre and post show rush - so cannot really comment on the noise level when the place is full.
- AAlways a treatFrequentDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014Sardi's, a holdover from a bygone era, is always a treat. They've adjusted their menu (and dress code) to attract a theater, tourist-friendly crowd. It is still soaked in the ambiance of the illustrious and cultured (and always "happening") days of the theater, but it warmly and quite professionally welcomes everyone with great service and very good food. I've been going for 50 years, and I hope to go for 50 years more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good pre-theatre dinner choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/12/2014Lots of good people watching but a little touristy too.Special Features:
- Great food, not so great serverChrisVIPDined on 7/12/2014I was excited to bring my family to Sardi's before a show. I'd been there before and enjoyed it. First the good. Lunch was great. We ordered Cobb salads. It was so big we should have shared one. The cheese plate appetizer was really good. And, my Jack and Coke was perfect. When we sat, our server came immediately and made sure my 8 year old's order was promptly placed which is a big deal for a parent. That's as good as it got though. Our son's meal came out and it wasn't what he ordered. My husband's iced tea glass had a huge crack and it took 30 minutes to replace. And, I had to ask the maître d for the check. Our server came over at the very end after we paid asking if we wanted dessert or coffee. I would come back but not to his table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.